mrsjohnsonscat

Soon to be ex-immigrant wife and i have a conversation

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

After 20 years of marriage and three years separation, we have the paper drawn up. I have been seeing a Russian lady for over a year and recently decided to let the kids begin to interact. She's in Moscow, but we use Skype, so the kids wave at each other and type a word or two. By seeing, I mean we actually have met several times and spend weeks together, it's serious and is what prompted me to get the divorce papers finalized.

My ex is from Britain, we met twenty years ago, while she was on a tourist visa and she never went home. A few years later, we got married, then we went to immigration, paid some dough and all was well.

Twenty years later, it's not and we split...ok enough of that.

So we're having coffee talking about the kids, and she tells me, "You know, if you decide to bring her, here you're going to have a problem."

"Why's that?", I said.

"Because when you married me, you promised you would not allow me to become a burden to the state, and now because I'm on medicare; I am."

I didn't remind her that she was covered under my policy, but wanted to be her own woman and ended up unemployed.

But that's neither here nor there..but I could have sworn that there was a 10 year time-limit on that not be a burden promise or am I mistaken?

The rest of the conversation didn't get much better. I will share this, I was pretty bummed about the wholet thing and spoke to my girl about it. It was quite honestly the most insightful conversation I ever had about women and what women want I have ever had. I don't know if it's cultural, but it was a defining moment for me.

Edited by mrsjohnsonscat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think thats how it goes, or 40 something or anothers of work accumulated, Im not quite sure, someone clear me up,

"Tall, dark and handsome with an amazing smile. He gave me butterflies every time he looked my way. I knew he was the one."- Me

I-129F NOA1 : April 5, 2008

I-129F NOA2 : April 28, 2008

NVC Left : Aug.18, 2008

Packet 3 Received: Sept. 3, 2008

Interview Date : Dec. 18, 2008

APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 19, 2008- Alfredo comes home!

Jan. 5, 2009: Alfredo and I become husband and Wife

March 10, 2009 AOS paperwork sent, will wait for it to arrive via tracking #

March 12, 2009 AOS paperwork arrives in Chicago

March 23, 2009 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

March 30, 2009-Biometrics letter received, appt date April 10th @11am philly office

April 10, 2009-Biometrics appt. done, in and out in 15 minutes

Nov. 18, 2009-Card production ordered

9q7SPs.jpg

weddingpics082-1.jpg

IgJym4.png

After 20 years of marriage and three years separation, we have the paper drawn up. I have been seeing a Russian lady for over a year and recently decided to let the kids begin to interact. She's in Moscow, but we use Skype, so the kids wave at each other and type a word or two. By seeing, I mean we actually have met several times and spend weeks together, it's serious and is what prompted me to get the divorce papers finalized.

My ex is from Britain, we met twenty years ago, while she was on a tourist visa and she never went home. A few years later, we got married, then we went to immigration, paid some dough and all was well.

So we're having coffee talking about the kids, and she tells me, "You know, if you decide to bring her, here you're going to have a problem."

"Why's that?", I said.

"Because when you married me, you promised you would not allow me to become a burden to the state, and now because I'm on medicare; I am."

I didn't remind her that she was covered under my policy, but wanted to be her own woman and ended up unemployed.

But that's neither here nor there..but I could have sworn that there was a 10 year time-limit on that not be a burden promise or am I mistaken?

The rest of the conversation didn't get much better. I will share this, I was pretty bummed about the wholet thing and spoke to my girl about it. It was quite honestly the most insightful conversation I ever had about women and what women want I have ever had. I don't know if it's cultural, but it was a defining moment for me.

The AOS is only binding for 10 years or 40 Quarters. read the AOS rules at USCIS website.

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Marriage : 2007-05-10

I-130 Sent : 2008-06-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-07-09

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-27

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-11

DS-3032 E-Mail accepted: 2009-02-11

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-02-14

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-14

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-18

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-11

IV Bill generated: 2009-02-11

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-02-18

NVC received both packages: 2009-02-20

DS-230 & I-864 scanned NVC: 2009-02-23

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-02-26

Interview confirmed: 2009-02-27

NVC Left : 2009-03-06

Consulate Received : 2009-03-09

Medical completed: 2009-03-20

Interview Date : 2009-04-03

Visa Received : 2009-04-07

US Entry : 2009-05-10

But i think immigration kind of works like a car warranty, whichever comes first. 10 yrs or the equivalent of 40 terms of work, terms isnt the right word, so i would think that if youve done your 10 yrs, then your off the hook, and it sounds like your wife kinda put it in a 'well you cant now, cause im a public charge, hahahahha, in your face' kinda way. Am i just misundersanding? Did you take it that way?

"Tall, dark and handsome with an amazing smile. He gave me butterflies every time he looked my way. I knew he was the one."- Me

I-129F NOA1 : April 5, 2008

I-129F NOA2 : April 28, 2008

NVC Left : Aug.18, 2008

Packet 3 Received: Sept. 3, 2008

Interview Date : Dec. 18, 2008

APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 19, 2008- Alfredo comes home!

Jan. 5, 2009: Alfredo and I become husband and Wife

March 10, 2009 AOS paperwork sent, will wait for it to arrive via tracking #

March 12, 2009 AOS paperwork arrives in Chicago

March 23, 2009 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

March 30, 2009-Biometrics letter received, appt date April 10th @11am philly office

April 10, 2009-Biometrics appt. done, in and out in 15 minutes

Nov. 18, 2009-Card production ordered

9q7SPs.jpg

weddingpics082-1.jpg

IgJym4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
But i think immigration kind of works like a car warranty, whichever comes first. 10 yrs or the equivalent of 40 terms of work, terms isnt the right word, so i would think that if youve done your 10 yrs, then your off the hook, and it sounds like your wife kinda put it in a 'well you cant now, cause im a public charge, hahahahha, in your face' kinda way. Am i just misundersanding? Did you take it that way?

It was a strange conversation. A lot of anger, even though she wanted the divorce. A lot of, " I don't want to end up eating cat food when I'm 80, while your new wife has the house." I had my tubes tied....kinda of stuff.

I don't want to bore you guys, with a ton of divorce talk, but I'm getting a "I'm not going to sign these papers", unless we make changes, vibe.

Ah, well...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did your soon to be ex wife ever get US citizenship? I have a feeling you're off the hook either way. an expert will chime in for you I hope

Edited by wowswift

Did your soon to be ex wife ever get US citizenship? I have a feeling you're off the hook either way. an expert will chime in for you I hope

If she got US citizenship you are off the hook. She's on medicare?? Medicaid more likely. How old is she?

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Nope, no citizenship. Medicaid is correct.

If she has not acquired 40 quarters of work social security contributions, you are on the hook. You signed the affadavit of support. You would also have to mention that when it comes to your new application.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

It was a strange conversation. A lot of anger, even though she wanted the divorce. A lot of, " I don't want to end up eating cat food when I'm 80, while your new wife has the house." I had my tubes tied....kinda of stuff.

I don't want to bore you guys, with a ton of divorce talk, but I'm getting a "I'm not going to sign these papers", unless we make changes, vibe.

Ah, well...

"it's not over, until that man pays"

big mistake letting the old one know about the new one before you are in the clear. gonna cost you extra $.

sure, she's an old friend and you just wanted to talk about the new love in your life. wrong person to do it with. even if she seperated from you, she is not really seperated from you. she still owns a piece of you, and knows that once you are tied to another woman her power over you is gone.

eating cat food? if she didn't want to die a lonely old woman she shouldn't have walked out on you, but she'll never take responsibility for that. medicaid? under 60? malingerer? once you are vested in terms of quarters worked under SS tax, some of the quarters you work thereafter may be applied to your wife's qualification. she doesn't need to have 40 quarters worked if you have excess. not sure of the exact rules, but there is a principle to be applied. you need to know about it before you schedule your divorce.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

From form I-864

"Any intending immigrant who has earned or can be creditedwith 40 qualifying quarters (credits) of work in the UnitedStates. In addition to their own work, intending immigrantsmay be able to secure credit for work performed by aspouse during marriage and by their parent(s) while theimmigrants were under 18 years of age. The Social SecurityAdministration (SSA) can provide information on how tocount quarters of work earned or credited and how toprovide evidence of such. See the SSA website atwww.ssa.gov/mystatement/credits for more information;

Not all benefits are considered to be means-tested publicbenefits. See Form I-864P, Poverty Guidelines, for moreinformation on which benefits may be covered by thisdefinition, or the contract on Page 6 of this form for a list ofbenefits explicitly not"

Edited by beans

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm in agreement with what most everyone else has been saying as well in that I doubt you will still be responsible after 20 years because I feel like she probably has met the 40 quarters so far, after 20 years (but who knows?). Anyway, even if she has not met the 40 quarters, this does not mean that you cannot bring your new woman to the states (assuming you have some money)!

It only means that you are responsible to pay the US government back. And if I understand correctly, it doesn't matter whether you are married or not, if you signed the papers for her and she has not gotten the conditions lifted, you are still supposed to pay....

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

"Why's that?", I said.

The AOS is only binding for 10 years or 40 Quarters. read the AOS rules at USCIS website.

That is incorrect.

The rules state:

Your obligation to support the immigrant(s) you ares ponsoring in this affidavit of support will continue until the esponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can becredited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the United States.

Although 40 qualifying quarters of work (credits) generally equate to ten years of work, in certain cases the work of a spouse or parent adds qualifying quarters. The Social Security Administration can provide information on how to count qualifying quarters (credits) of work.

So unless the immigrant works, or the spouses work credit can be used, or becomes a citizen of the US, the sponsor is on the hook indefinitely, unless one of the follow occur:

The obligation also ends if you or the sponsored immigrant dies or if the sponsored immigrant ceases to be a lawful permanent resident and departs the United States.

Of course, if the sponsor dies, then they are off the hook, but their estate probably will not be.

So, the OP should contact the SSA and find out if his work credit can be used to qualify her. After 20 years of marriage, it might.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I doubt if you can pass on work credit if the recepient does not want to receive them.

I think the estate would be off the hook for future claims, but not responsibilies prior to death.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I doubt if you can pass on work credit if the recepient does not want to receive them.

I think the estate would be off the hook for future claims, but not responsibilies prior to death.

I don't believe the immigrant has any say in the matter if the SSA credits it.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.