SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello Everybody,

According to NVC, we must change our consulate back to my fiance's original consulate for Norway, Stockhom. (Long story...basically, given really bad info from two sources).

We were curious to know if anyone had information on what is included in Packet 3 and 4. The list of what is needed and the physicians, etc.

Also, is it possible, when the time comes, for the Embassy to send this information by email to the beneficiary (since, he no longer resides in Norway...or, anywhere near Sweden at this time).

And, how long has this process taken? Trying to plan on where he should stay and approx for how long.

Any info you can give us would be appreciated. We were all set for Costa Rica and the information on VJ is pretty good with that, but Norway and Sweden looks very blank.

Thank you! And, any tips are absolutely welcomed!

Melanie

Filed: Timeline

Good for you!!!

Me I just booked our tickets to Sweden yesterday. We will be arriving in Sweden on the same date as we left last year, July 12th. I can't wait to see everyone again, didn't realize how much I missed them until i started the countdown to go home for a visit!

Excited for you!!

I'll be up in Alaska working for the summer. June - September in Juneau. Probably wont make it up to Anchorage, and for sure wont make it to Norway any time soon, but Juneau is close enough lol. Have a great trip home!!

Glad syttende mai to all you Norwegians out there! B-)

Tack så mycket!

Filed: Timeline

Hello Everybody,

According to NVC, we must change our consulate back to my fiance's original consulate for Norway, Stockhom. (Long story...basically, given really bad info from two sources).

We were curious to know if anyone had information on what is included in Packet 3 and 4. The list of what is needed and the physicians, etc.

Also, is it possible, when the time comes, for the Embassy to send this information by email to the beneficiary (since, he no longer resides in Norway...or, anywhere near Sweden at this time).

And, how long has this process taken? Trying to plan on where he should stay and approx for how long.

Any info you can give us would be appreciated. We were all set for Costa Rica and the information on VJ is pretty good with that, but Norway and Sweden looks very blank.

Thank you! And, any tips are absolutely welcomed!

Melanie

I can't give you much advice on this situation. Sounds like normal NVC mess unfortunately. If you have a place to stay in Norway and Sweden, the process is fairly painless though.

I went to get my x-rays at Unilabs and medical at KAL Klinikken on the same day. Got my blood test done next day at Ullevål Sykehus the day before. The medical was booked 2 weeks in advance, the X-rays were booked 45 minutes in advance, and the blood tests were walk-in.

Interviewing in Stockholm was a breeze too. Expect it to be a lot easier than in Costa Rica. It's considered a "friendly" consulate, with very low levels of harassment. Unless he has a serious rap sheet of any kind, expect to be in and out with an approval in 30 minutes. Remind them to have him sign DS-230 in front of them though!!!! I can't stress this enough. They forgot to have me sign it at my interview, which delayed my visa by 2 - 3 weeks. 2 - 3 grueling weeks in which they would not give me any information at all as to what the delay was about.

Edited by Jay Jay

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Excited for you!!

I'll be up in Alaska working for the summer. June - September in Juneau. Probably wont make it up to Anchorage, and for sure wont make it to Norway any time soon, but Juneau is close enough lol. Have a great trip home!!

Thanks, I'm sure i will enjoy it to the fullest!

If you do make it to anchorage let me know, we can go for a beer!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

New York City is frikken H.U.G.E!!! Two full days doesn't even put a dent in it, as far as sight seeing, so to speak. We mostly focused on the Freedom Tower, Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza and Central Park. The weather was awful, we were drenched even with umbrellas, but Central Park was still nice. I'm very glad I got to go to Strawberry Fields. I'm also glad my wife and I found Jacques Torres' chocolate shop.

Traffic sucked major ####### coming in from PA. It took us two hours to get from the NJ turnpike to the Holland tunnel. And there were just too many people in some places. It was fun to visit, and we will go back one day, but I'd rather jump off the Brooklyn Bridge than live in NYC.

It was so nice to see mom & dad and the other relatives. I'm proud of my cousin who graduated college.

Mom & dad loved Pittsburgh. It was nice to show them around. :)

Marriage : June 30, 2011

I-130 Sent : November 26, 2011

I-130 NOA1 : December 2, 2011

I-130 Approved : May 2, 2012

NVC Received : May 14, 2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : June 1, 2012

Pay I-864 Bill : June 5, 2012

Return Completed DS-3032 : June 1, 2012

Pay IV Bill : June 7, 2012

Case Completed at NVC : July 2, 2012

Interview Date : September 28, 2012

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : October 3, 2012

US Entry : December 23, 2012

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 301 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Swedish-American Midsummer

My wedding day - the best day of my life

Mr. Borkström @ Wordpress.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline
I'd love some helpful info on what other people (K-1 or CR-1 probably either!) have done regarding shipping belongings to the USA.
My fiancé will probably be doing POE in August, maybe September at the latest, so we're starting to try to find the best way to get his stuff here. He doesn't have THAT much -- definitely NO furniture, no large unboxed items of any kind. But he does have a full bookshelf of books that we really want him to bring, plus of course CDs/DVDs and a few small electronics items (xbox, etc), along with a fairly small amount of clothing (he is a typical guy, not too much he cares about clothing-wise). Probably no kitchen or other "household" stuff, just entertainment things. (Yay for bachelor living!) I'd estimate it might be 12-15 smallish moving boxes total, and that's it -- some quite heavy because they are books, of course.
I think we can ship them all using the regular Finnish postal service, but how does that work on the US customs side? I see something about a "Form 3299" for duty-free entry of household goods, but is that even necessary? I certainly don't want to circumvent any laws, and we'll pay duty if that actually is necessary, it just seems very confusing to me right now and I'd love feedback on what others have done.
Alternately we might try contacting an actual shipping company, but he lives in a very small town and there aren't really any local ones that do international moves. Same with not using UPS or DHL, the nearest offices for either are two hours' drive away and he doesn't have a car. So ... post office seems best to me, but what of customs and do we have to pay duty fees? And do the items have to arrive AFTER he's already here? So we're supposed to ship them out on the day he leaves or something?
I hate being so confused. Any help appreciated!

Relationship since April 2006

K-1 Visa: I-129F filed November 6, 2012, NOA2 May 17, 2013, Interview and Approval July 24, 2013

POE San Diego, September 13, 2013, Wedding October 25, 2013

AOS filed November 19, 2013, EAD/AP received January 30, 2014, interview and AOS Approval on February 27, 2014.

ROC filed December 3, 2015, NOA1 12/4/15, Biometrics 12/31/15, ROC Approval on June 16, 2016, 10-Year Green Card received June 22, 2016.

N400 filed September 14, 2023, same day acceptance and Biometric Reuse notice, Interview on 2/13/24: Passed and same day oath. ALL DONE WITH USCIS.

No RFE at any stage, thanks to VisaJourney!

Detailed Timeline Below!

Relationship:
2006 April 01: Met online, music site, 2007 February 20: Met in person, Finland, 2007 - 2012 met several times in Finland and California

K-1 Visa:
2012 November 06: Sent I-129F (NOA1 on 11/9/2012)
2013 May 14: Contacted Congressman
2013 May 17: I-129F NOA2 Approved
2013 June 03: NVC Received (NVC left 6/6/13)
2013 June 10: Consulate Received, 2013 June 13: Medical, 2013 June 25: Sent Packet 3/4
2013 July 24: Interview in Helsinki, 2013 July 27: Visa Received
2013 September 13: POE to USA, San Diego

AOS:
2013 October 22: SSN Received
2013 October 25: Wedding, San Marcos, CA
2013 November 19: AOS, AP, EAD sent (NOA 1 on 11/22/13)
2013 December 17: Biometrics, San Marcos, CA, 2013 December 24: Online status changed to Testing/Interview

2014 January 23: Interview notice mailed (for 2/27), 2014 January 24: EAD card production, AP approval (card received 1/30/2014)

2014 February 27: Interview and Approval, GC in production (card received March 6, 2014)

ROC:

2015 December 03: mailed I-751 package

2015 December 04: NOA1 extension letter, 2015 December 31: Biometrics appointment

2016 June 16: Approval - Online status changed to Document Production, mailed 6/20/16

2016 June 22: 10-Year Green Card Received, done with USCIS for a while!

N-400 Citizenship:

2023 September 14: filed N-400 online

2023 September 14: same day acceptance notice and "Biometrics Reuse" notice

2023 December 28: notice of interview scheduled for February 13, 2024

2024 February 13: naturalization interview (five-year rule) passed, same day oath - now a US Citizen and done with USCIS!

Timeline

I'd love some helpful info on what other people (K-1 or CR-1 probably either!) have done regarding shipping belongings to the USA.

My fiancé will probably be doing POE in August, maybe September at the latest, so we're starting to try to find the best way to get his stuff here. He doesn't have THAT much -- definitely NO furniture, no large unboxed items of any kind. But he does have a full bookshelf of books that we really want him to bring, plus of course CDs/DVDs and a few small electronics items (xbox, etc), along with a fairly small amount of clothing (he is a typical guy, not too much he cares about clothing-wise). Probably no kitchen or other "household" stuff, just entertainment things. (Yay for bachelor living!) I'd estimate it might be 12-15 smallish moving boxes total, and that's it -- some quite heavy because they are books, of course.

I think we can ship them all using the regular Finnish postal service, but how does that work on the US customs side? I see something about a "Form 3299" for duty-free entry of household goods, but is that even necessary? I certainly don't want to circumvent any laws, and we'll pay duty if that actually is necessary, it just seems very confusing to me right now and I'd love feedback on what others have done.

Alternately we might try contacting an actual shipping company, but he lives in a very small town and there aren't really any local ones that do international moves. Same with not using UPS or DHL, the nearest offices for either are two hours' drive away and he doesn't have a car. So ... post office seems best to me, but what of customs and do we have to pay duty fees? And do the items have to arrive AFTER he's already here? So we're supposed to ship them out on the day he leaves or something?

I hate being so confused. Any help appreciated!

Yes the items must arrive after he has entered the country, that way you won't have to pay any custom fees etc. When moving to the US you are allowed to bring stuff with you and shipping them is fine.

How you go about it from Finland I don't know, I used a small shipping company from Sweden. I shipped over 8 moving boxes and it wasn't that expensive. Took about a week to get them here.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Timeline

Yes the items must arrive after he has entered the country, that way you won't have to pay any custom fees etc. When moving to the US you are allowed to bring stuff with you and shipping them is fine.

How you go about it from Finland I don't know, I used a small shipping company from Sweden. I shipped over 8 moving boxes and it wasn't that expensive. Took about a week to get them here.

I have a couple of moving boxes I'd like to have shipped from Sweden. What's the name of the company?

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Lynkali, you don't need to pay any customs fees for shipping. Your fiance can ship his stuff duty free once he has the visa on his passport, proving he's legally moving to the US. Make sure that he indicates he's shipping used household items. If you decide to go with a shipping company I can recommend niemi.fi. They cover the whole national territory, I believe. For a small amount though you might be better/cheaper off with the post office.

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Timeline

I have a couple of moving boxes I'd like to have shipped from Sweden. What's the name of the company?

www.travelcargo.se

De ar mycket smidiga att ha a gora med. Latta att ha mailkontakt med osv..

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Timeline

www.travelcargo.se

Tusen tack! Det ska jag kolla upp. smile.png

- - - - -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

We just brought luggage on the flight. The fee for an extra bag/box might end up being less than the shipping cost, at least that was my experience in Denmark.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

www.travelcargo.se

Jag tackar också för tipset! Har haft tokångest över vad jag ska göra med saker som jag inte klarar att göra mig av med - var i kontakt med ett par flyttfirmor i vintras, och fick en offert på 80 000 SEK... då var det skyhöga tullkostnader inräknat, så de verkade inte ha koll riktigt.

Var på intervju i Stockholm igår, och allt var OK, så jag flyttar nog i slutet av sommaren.

Timeline

Jag tackar också för tipset! Har haft tokångest över vad jag ska göra med saker som jag inte klarar att göra mig av med - var i kontakt med ett par flyttfirmor i vintras, och fick en offert på 80 000 SEK... då var det skyhöga tullkostnader inräknat, så de verkade inte ha koll riktigt.

Var på intervju i Stockholm igår, och allt var OK, så jag flyttar nog i slutet av sommaren.

Grattis! :)

- - - - -

Timeline

Tillönskar alla mina landsmän och -kvinnor en trevlig nationaldag.

To all my fellow countrymen and -women, a pleasant National Day of Sweden.

dancin5hr.gif

- - - - -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.