SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thanks! It was a relieving nail in the coffin. I've been looking for sings on what to do, and that was really what I needed. I'm staying here in Hawaii. No California, no Norway.

My wife and I are filing for legal separation next month.. Waiting a divorce out to see if separation will work some wonder.

Having a job I actually enjoy and see a career prospect in has been incredibly helpful, and I'm honestly happier than I've been in a while. I've accepted the facts as they are, and feel like I at least have something to settle on. (I've been "unsettled" for years now going through deciding on where to live, immigration, martial issues etc.) This island paradise to me was hell for a while, but I'm finally beginning to make friends outside of my wife's social circle. I'm starting to feel a sense of home here. Now, next on my list is to find a place to live and a car with a lack of credit. We're both moving out of this apt in a couple weeks, wife is keeping the car, but (said) she would help me out on a down payment for a car.

If you are at all interested, if you are still in Hawaii by then... My wife and I plan on going to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We've talked about maybe going the first week of September... If you feel like it, maybe we can meet up somewhere. :)

Edited by Mr. Borkström

Marriage : June 30, 2011

I-130 Sent : November 26, 2011

I-130 NOA1 : December 2, 2011

I-130 Approved : May 2, 2012

NVC Received : May 14, 2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : June 1, 2012

Pay I-864 Bill : June 5, 2012

Return Completed DS-3032 : June 1, 2012

Pay IV Bill : June 7, 2012

Case Completed at NVC : July 2, 2012

Interview Date : September 28, 2012

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : October 3, 2012

US Entry : December 23, 2012

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 301 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Swedish-American Midsummer

My wedding day - the best day of my life

Mr. Borkström @ Wordpress.com

Filed: Timeline

If you are at all interested, if you are still in Hawaii by then... My wife and I plan on going to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We've talked about maybe going the first week of September... If you feel like it, maybe we can meet up somewhere. :)

Absolutely,

If you're on Oahu, I'll buy you a beer!

Edited by Jay Jay

Timeline

Cool! :)

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

JayJay, where abouts in Hawaii do you go if you got a bunch of kids? We are not going just yet but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best. Everything looks pretty darn perfect to me but I'm sure some areas are more family friendly no?

Speaking of family, ours is about to grow bigger any day now. I'm due on the 3rd but I got a feeling she will come early. Hopefully she won't come on Tuesday, that's when the other one turns one! It's gonna be crazy around here for a while I'm sure! I'm glad my son is older and sort some stuff out on his own lol.

But right now I really miss my mum, we don't have any family up here, we got some really good friends but that's just not the same. It sucks that no one in the family will see our newest addition live until we fly to Sweden in August...

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Timeline

You're having another baby? Grattis som fan! Jag ska hålla tummarna för att förlossningen går bra.good.gif

- - - - -

Timeline

Yup, another one! Tackar tackar!! Thought I should populate Alaska on my own ;-) The other one turned one yesterday and I'm on my way to deliver this one now!!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Timeline

Grats Alaska!

Humidity... I hated it in Minnesota when I lived there. I am happy that I'm getting "eased" into it here. But on the days when we have 33c and 100% humidity and the locals call it "Spring" I just want to strangle them slowly. I had a moment at work the other day when I went out to smoke and realised it was 28c outside and I was wearing jeans and a jacket. Would never ever have done that in Sweden but it felt normal here. I am not a fan of heat so don't know what I'll do with myself this summer.

And yes paralell parking is the bane of my existance. I haven't had problems with it when I've been practicing so I was feeling like that part would be a breeze. WRONG! I had a brainfart, and as I realised I had gotten in wrong and was pulling and I proceeded to just run over the pole/cone, cus in my head it was soft and would move - did NOT consider what it represented. I did that and then pulled in perfectly. Guy who was doing my test looked at me like I was crazy. And that was that... retaking test on Friday :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

JayJay, where abouts in Hawaii do you go if you got a bunch of kids? We are not going just yet but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best. Everything looks pretty darn perfect to me but I'm sure some areas are more family friendly no?

How about Aulani? It's a Disney Resort and Spa in Oahu. Probably quite expensive though with the Disney name, but I do think Disney does a good job when it comes to vacations. I've never been there, but I'm sure it's pretty neat, and I'm sure kids will like it.

I think a lot of things my husband and I did in Hawaii, kids will like. Such as we went to Sea Life Park and had a encounter with dolphins, I thought that was one of the best things we did on our vacation.

We also went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, it was beautiful there.

At least there is a few things I can think of at the top of my head that I think will be good for families with kids. But there is a lot to do in Oahu that I think many people of different ages will enjoy. I'm not an expert on Hawaii by any means though, there is still a lot more I could see and do in Oahu and other Hawaiian islands.

VJAvatar.jpg

How about Aulani? It's a Disney Resort and Spa in Oahu. Probably quite expensive though with the Disney name, but I do think Disney does a good job when it comes to vacations. I've never been there, but I'm sure it's pretty neat, and I'm sure kids will like it.

I think a lot of things my husband and I did in Hawaii, kids will like. Such as we went to Sea Life Park and had a encounter with dolphins, I thought that was one of the best things we did on our vacation.

We also went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, it was beautiful there.

At least there is a few things I can think of at the top of my head that I think will be good for families with kids. But there is a lot to do in Oahu that I think many people of different ages will enjoy. I'm not an expert on Hawaii by any means though, there is still a lot more I could see and do in Oahu and other Hawaiian islands.

Aulani is really great for family, although pretty expensive. Last time we paid almost $400 a night and that was with local resident discount.

There is a lot to do in Aulani, the kids will love the water park, white sand shallow beach and a lot of "disney" activities.

Timeline

Thanks u guys! I'm gonna try and sell Aulani to the husband! ;-)

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Timeline

Some stuff is just backwards over here, giving me a headache! Gave birth to my baby girl on May 1st, today I called to see how long it would take to get the birth certificate sent home, the midwife took care of all the paper work. The lady asked me if I had requested the birth certificate and I told het no I just assumed it would be sent to us. But no of course not, you have to pay $30 and send along a copy of your id and then they will get you one.... Luckily they got an office down town so I can go there but I thought for sure you'd get your baby's certificate automatically. This is ridiculous! Had I not needed to get her a passport I would not have made the phone call and been waiting around forever!

I just had to vent...

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Timeline

Hi,

Anyone here has experience with immigration interview at US embassy in Finland ? especially proving US domicile?

Thanks

Have you read the embassy reviews? You might find something useful there!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

There aren't that many embassy reviews for Finland! :D I've been watching them myself, but not a lot of info there really.

There are a couple of us K-1 filers just starting the embassy stage (3 or 4 VJ people ahead of me, and I am waiting on pins and needles for NOA2 which should have come by now!), so I would be interested in overall reviews as well. Don't have anything specific yet, other than vague reports that the Helsinki embassy is very responsive to email questions.

I was even thinking of starting a separate thread for Finnish-specific things like embassy, as well as reviews of the medical doctors (I hear different things about Borgstrom vs Helle in terms of vaccinations and ease-of-use). Would that be something to clutter this thread with, or should we start a separate Finnish topic?

Relationship since April 2006

K-1 Visa: I-129F filed November 6, 2012, NOA2 May 17, 2013, Interview and Approval July 24, 2013

POE San Diego, September 13, 2013, Wedding October 25, 2013

AOS filed November 19, 2013, EAD/AP received January 30, 2014, interview and AOS Approval on February 27, 2014.

ROC filed December 3, 2015, NOA1 12/4/15, Biometrics 12/31/15, ROC Approval on June 16, 2016, 10-Year Green Card received June 22, 2016.

N400 filed September 14, 2023, same day acceptance and Biometric Reuse notice, Interview on 2/13/24: Passed and same day oath. ALL DONE WITH USCIS.

No RFE at any stage, thanks to VisaJourney!

Detailed Timeline Below!

Relationship:
2006 April 01: Met online, music site, 2007 February 20: Met in person, Finland, 2007 - 2012 met several times in Finland and California

K-1 Visa:
2012 November 06: Sent I-129F (NOA1 on 11/9/2012)
2013 May 14: Contacted Congressman
2013 May 17: I-129F NOA2 Approved
2013 June 03: NVC Received (NVC left 6/6/13)
2013 June 10: Consulate Received, 2013 June 13: Medical, 2013 June 25: Sent Packet 3/4
2013 July 24: Interview in Helsinki, 2013 July 27: Visa Received
2013 September 13: POE to USA, San Diego

AOS:
2013 October 22: SSN Received
2013 October 25: Wedding, San Marcos, CA
2013 November 19: AOS, AP, EAD sent (NOA 1 on 11/22/13)
2013 December 17: Biometrics, San Marcos, CA, 2013 December 24: Online status changed to Testing/Interview

2014 January 23: Interview notice mailed (for 2/27), 2014 January 24: EAD card production, AP approval (card received 1/30/2014)

2014 February 27: Interview and Approval, GC in production (card received March 6, 2014)

ROC:

2015 December 03: mailed I-751 package

2015 December 04: NOA1 extension letter, 2015 December 31: Biometrics appointment

2016 June 16: Approval - Online status changed to Document Production, mailed 6/20/16

2016 June 22: 10-Year Green Card Received, done with USCIS for a while!

N-400 Citizenship:

2023 September 14: filed N-400 online

2023 September 14: same day acceptance notice and "Biometrics Reuse" notice

2023 December 28: notice of interview scheduled for February 13, 2024

2024 February 13: naturalization interview (five-year rule) passed, same day oath - now a US Citizen and done with USCIS!

Timeline

Just go ahead in here!

Btw, you were asking about proving domicile, that really shouldn't be an issue if your fiancé lives in the US. I believe that is more for Americans who have been living abroad.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.