confuzzled

how much do I put up with before deciding on divorce?

180 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
People who have no problems being cruel to animals is a HUGE warning sign to me. Run, don't walk, towards the nearest divorce attorney...!

:thumbs: Actually from my understanding as well , abuse of animals is also a sign of a latent serial killer. The next time your husband "threatens" you with divorce, I'd say, "You promise?".

:thumbs: it's an indicator that shouldn't be ignored, especially if one is a parent and their kid is doing that.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
Ok, now I am not trying to be unsympathetic or mean, but for those of us who are new to this process and love our spouse/fiance, I think this type of post can be very disheartening. I understand that this is a support sight but if you are with your significant other and things aren't working out I think you need to find support from people other than those who are still away from their loved ones. Face it, bad marriage are made every day not just with foreign spouses. That's just my opinion.

So why are you taking it personally? Is your relationship really that weak that it puts doubts in your head when somebody else wants support? Face it, people will come here looking for support and advice and you need to be more confident of your relationship. Heaven forbid, you ever have a situation where you need advice (I pray that you don't) wonder how you would feel not being able to get it because some people will get disheartened. Have a little compassion for others.

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline
Ok, now I am not trying to be unsympathetic or mean, but for those of us who are new to this process and love our spouse/fiance, I think this type of post can be very disheartening. I understand that this is a support sight but if you are with your significant other and things aren't working out I think you need to find support from people other than those who are still away from their loved ones. Face it, bad marriage are made every day not just with foreign spouses. That's just my opinion.

There's plenty of stuff on VJ that can be disheartening, but does that mean that people should not be able to post their actual experiences? No. I see that you just joined and if you are already disheartened from this one post, then I pity the fact that you are going through the Egyptian embassy.

Ha ha that's funny

Betsy El Sum

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

So why are you taking it personally? Is your relationship really that weak that it puts doubts in your head when somebody else wants support? Face it, people will come here looking for support and advice and you need to be more confident of your relationship. Heaven forbid, you ever have a situation where you need advice (I pray that you don't) wonder how you would feel not being able to get it because some people will get disheartened. Have a little compassion for others.

No honey that's not it. LOL forget I mentioned it and go on with the counseling session.

Betsy El Sum

Good grief, some of the responses I've seen on here...I'd like to the WTFs that others have put up.

Relationships are about being able to take the bad with the good, and accepting and loving one another for your angels and your demons -- but I cannot say that the demons he has are minor in the least. I'm sorry, but threatening divorce, going off with other women, poor hygiene, verbal abuse, abuse toward your dog and sole interest in the bedroom? Please. Nobody should have to put up with that.

The one who needs to change here is him, but from what you've expressed, he doesn't strike me as the type who will. Yes, marriage is compromise, but it's futile when one side utterly refuses to do so for the better. If you're not the submissive type, you shouldn't be with someone who expects you to be. I came from a background where women were expected to be submissive, but no way in hell was I willing to accept that. In my case, it was my family who were the abusers, so I got out and took my cat with me. I'm a lot happier for it, I can be myself and I don't have to fear going home every day.

Sometimes it's difficult to assess what someone is really like before you spend a lot of time under the same roof. Perhaps the person you thought he was wasn't the person he was in reality, and everyone's had a lapse in judgement like that at some point or another. Find some outside support and get out; it's not worth putting yourself through that anymore. He might not be physically harming you, but verbal and emotional abuse is still abuse.

:: Hugs :: I hope and pray you get out of this. Nobody should be subjected to this. Please feel free to PM me if you want to have a chat.

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

To the OP

Ignore everyone who says that the way he treats you is "normal". Treating someone badly and hurting them physically and emotionally is NOT OK. Abuse is a slippery slope. Once you start thinking that it's all your fault, you'll loose your courage to get him out of your life.

Speak to him honestly and tell him how his constant bullying makes you feel. If he makes an effort to change (and not just for a week, but for EVER) then that's great. If he makes a limp effort at trying to be a mutual partner and starts being an idiot again, then send him packing.

Take your life back and don't be a victim to this spineless man's verbal and emotional abuse. But be smart about it and plan your exit. This man sounds like he could be vindictive and threaten you if you try to divorce him. Before you tell him to ####### off back to his own country, make sure you have a place to stay - heck - does he even work?! Do you pay all the bills? Do you share bank accounts? The last thing you want is to be stranded and have this evil man render you homeless and penniless. If you're paying the bills, give him all his stuff in a box then change the locks on him. If you don't trust him, or you think he may threaten you physically, then move out and don't tell him where you live.

If he is on a conditional 2 year green card, then officially tell USCIS that you no longer support this marriage, officially withdraw your Affidiavit of Support, and give the immigration authorities ALL his information so that they can make sure he's shipped off back to his own country.

Whatever you do, make sure YOU'RE the one taking action. It will help you win back your self confidence and you won't feel like the victim being thrown out onto the street. Send this abusive bully packing - back to his own country, where he can "live with women who will submit to him". Take your life back girl and don't ever let a man make you feel worthless!! Real men don't do that to the women they love and respect :star:

| k1 visa timeline |

22 feb 08 - petition mailed to csc

25 feb 08 - noa1

14 jul 08 - noa2

16 jul 08 - nvc received

23 jul 08 - nvc sent to consulate

25 jul 08 - us consulate received

30 jul 08 - rfe dated 28 jul received from consulate

31 jul 08 - rfe sent back to consulate

08 aug 08 - packet 3

27 aug 08 - medical complete

05 sept 08 - faxed back packet 3

15 sept 08 - received my birth certif!!

15 sept 08 - packet 4!!

21 oct 08 - interview - approved!

08 nov 08 - moved

27 dec 08 - married my sweetheart

| aos timeline |

01 feb 09 - aos/ead/ap mailed to chicago

03 feb 09 - received at chicago USCIS address

04 feb 09 - received driver's license!

11 feb 09 - received noa for aos/ead/ap dated feb 6

10 mar 09 - biometrics

06 apr 09 - received ap! dated mar 30

09 apr 09 - received ead! dated mar 30

21 apr 09 - received interview request! dated apr 15

25 jun 09 - interview - approved!

26 jun 09 - card production ordered

1 july 09 - approval letter received dated june 26

To the OP

Ignore everyone who says that the way he treats you is "normal". Treating someone badly and hurting them physically and emotionally is NOT OK. Abuse is a slippery slope. Once you start thinking that it's all your fault, you'll loose your courage to get him out of your life.

Speak to him honestly and tell him how his constant bullying makes you feel. If he makes an effort to change (and not just for a week, but for EVER) then that's great. If he makes a limp effort at trying to be a mutual partner and starts being an idiot again, then send him packing.

Take your life back and don't be a victim to this spineless man's verbal and emotional abuse. But be smart about it and plan your exit. This man sounds like he could be vindictive and threaten you if you try to divorce him. Before you tell him to ####### off back to his own country, make sure you have a place to stay - heck - does he even work?! Do you pay all the bills? Do you share bank accounts? The last thing you want is to be stranded and have this evil man render you homeless and penniless. If you're paying the bills, give him all his stuff in a box then change the locks on him. If you don't trust him, or you think he may threaten you physically, then move out and don't tell him where you live.

If he is on a conditional 2 year green card, then officially tell USCIS that you no longer support this marriage, officially withdraw your Affidiavit of Support, and give the immigration authorities ALL his information so that they can make sure he's shipped off back to his own country.

Whatever you do, make sure YOU'RE the one taking action. It will help you win back your self confidence and you won't feel like the victim being thrown out onto the street. Send this abusive bully packing - back to his own country, where he can "live with women who will submit to him". Take your life back girl and don't ever let a man make you feel worthless!! Real men don't do that to the women they love and respect :star:

Thank you for putting it so well... :: applauds ::.

Magpie.

Upon the mountain of that which would undo us, our banner shall fly highest.

For K-1 timeline, please check our story!

:: Before-AOS Timeline ::

2009-06-16: Received SSN

2009-06-18: Got my degree classification! Got a 2:1 =D.

2009-07-04: Got MARRIED on Independance Day in San Antonio!

:: AOS Timeline ::

2009-08-06: Mailed off our AOS packet!

2009-08-10: USCIS received packet, no NOA1 yet

2009-08-14: NOA1, eeee!

2009-09-08: Walk-in biometrics, all done!

2009-09-15: Got AP, woo + driving permit

2009-09-25: Approved for EAD, waiting for card

2009-09-30: EAD in hand :D

2009-10-16: Received interview letter for 20th October :D

2009-10-20: AOS APPROVED!

2009-10-30: Green card in hand! Weeeeeee!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Another wonderful post about a SO that changed face. Sorry I have to shake my head at this one even though I haven't read the entire thing I can only imagine what your husband would say about you that your not telling. He didn't change and if you didn't know him you shouldn't have married him.

USCIS

12/03/2008...Sent I-130 form

12/04/2008...Papers reached Chicago LockBox (1Day)

12/11/2008...NOA1 (7days)

12/22/2008...NOA1 hard copy received (11 days ~ Heavy Snowfall Delayed Mail)

03/14/2009...NOA2 (92 days from NOA1)

03/24/2009...NOA2 Hard copy received (No touches or web approval)

NVC

04/06/2009...Received by NVC (23 days from NOA2)

DreAlphaBettas@aol.com

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

guys, lets keep in mind before you jump down the husbands throat, that this is basically a disgruntled woman coming online to feel empowered.

if a husband came on here and started bitching like this, i would say the same thing.

its fantastic that you would think about divorce after 1.5 years...

this is what i detest about modern american morals. when you get married, you are making a promise to each other that you are going to stay with each other no matter what. (not just if your sposes teeth are splashed with listerine, or if he likes your dog, or if the sex is great)

i love the corn balls that, come online and are the first ones to scream DUMP HIM!! FORCED SEXZ IS TEH BAD!!11!one!!1

ABUSING AMINALZ IS 4 CEREAL KILLAZ!!!

i read this womans essay on how horrible her husband is, and you know what?!

if your idea of clean is wiped down, sanitary enough so that there are no insects or rats etc...you have problems, if you have "clean" dishes with almost no food on them laying all over the kitchen and cloths thrown about the house and ###### laying all over but its "clean" guess what?! ITS NOT CLEAN! and YOUR A PIG!

if i walk into my kitchen and there is ###### strewn about helter skelter, and a sink full of dishes, and the dogs pulling stuff out of the trash can. im going to call my wife and demand some god damned answers, and whoop that dogs ####, i dont care if the dog is an heirloom from her dear departed aunt tilly.

and u know what else? im not holding any double standards here. if my wife walks into my garage, and sees engine parts strewn about, a disabled car, tranny fluid all over the floor, calls me in there and tells me that shits not going to fly like this in her house. im going to be a grouchy little indian and clean up my mess. if the yard is a mess with leaves or the snow is not shoveled, i know my wife and shes going to stab me.

as far as sex:

im a guy, and my view is as follows: it is your mutual responsibilities to keep each other satisfied.

if you want him to brush his teeth before you go to bed, then yes he should brush his teeth before he goes to bed, and do essentially what it takes to keep you happy.

but if he was sex 2 times a night 7 days a week... then pony up...hes gotta do it for you too.

forced sex? i doubt hes raping you, as in punching you out, and literally forcing him self onto you, i can however believe he insists on sex...which is not uncommon, its something married folks do...bang him.

as far as your dog:

its a dog, if its causing trouble in your marriage...get rid of it.

and people need to keep in mind that she has some awful habits of her own that shes not even mentioning here...how do you know what shes like? dont support her divorcing her husband! stuff like this is the the characterization of the decay of moral standards in this country. you should have know about his machismo before you married him. you made your bed..now lay in it.

OBVIOUSLY IF HES BEATING YOU UP, AND RAPING YOUR DOG, AND KILLING BABIES...devoice him

Good Lord! I can't stop laughing with some of the responses. Here's my two cents:

Send his #### back to wherever he comes from with a copy of The Stepford Wives and a toothbrush. In the meantime get yourself sorted out and take care of yourself. You don't have to put up with all this, relationships are all about taking and giving but in my humble opinion I think you've given far more than taken.

Good luck girl! My best wishes go to you!

Edited by unforgettable fire

Timeline:

12-16-07 Arrival in the US from Good Ol' Blighty

02-13-08 Got married in Los Angeles

02-22-08 Civil Surgeon Appointment

Adjustment of Status

02-29-08 Sent I-130, AOS, EAD, AP (Via FedEx) to Chicago

03-03-08 Package arrived in Chicago

03-07-08 All Cheques cashed!!

03-10-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 received

03-16-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 touched

03-27-08 Biometrics Appointment at 2pm (Notice date: 03.11.08)

04-30-08 Received EAD "card production ordered" & AP Approval notices from CRIS (YESSSS!!!!!)

05-06-08 I-765 touched and AP received in the mail!

05-08-08 Received I-765 "approval notice sent" e-mail from CRIS

05-09-08 EAD received in the mail (YIIPPEEYY!!!)

08-22-08 Notice of Action for initial interview received (10-08-08)

10-08-08 AOS Interview in Los Angeles: APPROVED!!!!

10-09-08 I-485 touched! (Card Production Ordered)

10-15-08 NOAs for I-130 (approval notice) and I-485 (welcome letter) received

10-22-08 Green Card finally arrived!!!

Removing of Conditions

07-14-10 Sent I-751 (Via USPS next day delivery) to California Service Center

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

07-30-10 Received NOA 2 (Biometrics appointment on 08-11-10)

08-31-10 NOA for Removal of Conditions approved

09-02-10 Approval letter received

09-03-10 Green Card arrived!!!

ePcwm7.png

.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i think we've been conned. again.

do you know any american who talks this way, "submit to my husband".... "hurts me below" and other similar phrases? i feel like i'm reading a historical romance book, as the heroine explains the travails she went thru while married to an abusive husband.

if there's anything i've learned in my stay here in the US is that americans are so brutally frank and have no qualms calling a spade a spade.... or in this case, a rape a rape.

perhaps i'm just a cynic or perhaps i just can't imagine anyone allowing another person to treat them the way the OP was supposedly treated. besides, the police is just a phone call away. aside from that, the OP is the citizen, not the other way around.

but then again, i'm just from the village and therefore, i know nothing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your troubles....This sounds like a very unhealthy situation indeed. The trouble is...many VJers really marry too soon or don't spend enough time REALLY getting to know the other person. Talking on the phone, texting and sending letters is all very well but when you've only met your 'loved' once or twice in person, even half a dozen times, doesn't always make a good foundation for a marriage. My opinion only.

Anyway, try and seek some counselling if your spouse is willing. Whatever you do, don't become depressed as that will make matters worse.

God bless You both.

ps: Make two dental appointments - tell him you need a check up so... he might as well have one too. May be he'll go long with that. But if he hasn't seen the dentist is years, prepare yourself for a hefty bill.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Maybe you would feel more comfortable posting on this board Jerry Springer

USCIS

12/03/2008...Sent I-130 form

12/04/2008...Papers reached Chicago LockBox (1Day)

12/11/2008...NOA1 (7days)

12/22/2008...NOA1 hard copy received (11 days ~ Heavy Snowfall Delayed Mail)

03/14/2009...NOA2 (92 days from NOA1)

03/24/2009...NOA2 Hard copy received (No touches or web approval)

NVC

04/06/2009...Received by NVC (23 days from NOA2)

DreAlphaBettas@aol.com

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Good Lord! I can't stop laughing with some of the responses. Here's my two cents:

Send his #### back to wherever he comes from with a copy of The Stepford Wives and a toothbrush. In the meantime get yourself sorted out and take care of yourself. You don't have to put up with all this, relationships are all about taking and giving but in my humble opinion I think you've given far more than taken.

Good luck girl! My best wishes go to you!

dont forget to give him his 1 year and 7 months back that he wasted trying to build a life, and relationship with you, and make sure you you give him back all his aspirations and expectations that you had promised him before you married him and filed for him, and removed him from his home and family.

just tuck all that into that copy of the stepford wives.

STOP GIVING HER BAD ADVICE! WHAT SHE AND HER HUSBAND NEED TO DO IS TO BE MORE CARING ABOUT EACH OTHER, NOT TO WAKE UP EVERYDAY THINKING HOW AM I GOING TO BE HAPPY...INSTEAD ASKING HOW CAN I MAKE MY GIRL/MAN HAPPY.

every woman and every man has friends like these that tell them "leave the bum/bich" , they hand out advice that they themselves would never follow.

MARRIAGE IS A LIFE LONG COMMITMENT...THERE ARE NO DO-OVERS, unless there is a threat on your life.

god forbid if they have children.

what would this woman do if something happened to her husband and he was disabled...incapable of caring for himself...shed leave him...along with advice to do so from all you great people

Edited by dane

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
guys, lets keep in mind before you jump down the husbands throat, that this is basically a disgruntled woman coming online to feel empowered.

if a husband came on here and started bitching like this, i would say the same thing.

its fantastic that you would think about divorce after 1.5 years...

this is what i detest about modern american morals. when you get married, you are making a promise to each other that you are going to stay with each other no matter what. (not just if your sposes teeth are splashed with listerine, or if he likes your dog, or if the sex is great)

i love the corn balls that, come online and are the first ones to scream DUMP HIM!! FORCED SEXZ IS TEH BAD!!11!one!!1

ABUSING AMINALZ IS 4 CEREAL KILLAZ!!!

i read this womans essay on how horrible her husband is, and you know what?!

if your idea of clean is wiped down, sanitary enough so that there are no insects or rats etc...you have problems, if you have "clean" dishes with almost no food on them laying all over the kitchen and cloths thrown about the house and ###### laying all over but its "clean" guess what?! ITS NOT CLEAN! and YOUR A PIG!

if i walk into my kitchen and there is ###### strewn about helter skelter, and a sink full of dishes, and the dogs pulling stuff out of the trash can. im going to call my wife and demand some god damned answers, and whoop that dogs ####, i dont care if the dog is an heirloom from her dear departed aunt tilly.

and u know what else? im not holding any double standards here. if my wife walks into my garage, and sees engine parts strewn about, a disabled car, tranny fluid all over the floor, calls me in there and tells me that shits not going to fly like this in her house. im going to be a grouchy little indian and clean up my mess. if the yard is a mess with leaves or the snow is not shoveled, i know my wife and shes going to stab me.

as far as sex:

im a guy, and my view is as follows: it is your mutual responsibilities to keep each other satisfied.

if you want him to brush his teeth before you go to bed, then yes he should brush his teeth before he goes to bed, and do essentially what it takes to keep you happy.

but if he was sex 2 times a night 7 days a week... then pony up...hes gotta do it for you too.

forced sex? i doubt hes raping you, as in punching you out, and literally forcing him self onto you, i can however believe he insists on sex...which is not uncommon, its something married folks do...bang him.

as far as your dog:

its a dog, if its causing trouble in your marriage...get rid of it.

and people need to keep in mind that she has some awful habits of her own that shes not even mentioning here...how do you know what shes like? dont support her divorcing her husband! stuff like this is the the characterization of the decay of moral standards in this country. you should have know about his machismo before you married him. you made your bed..now lay in it.

OBVIOUSLY IF HES BEATING YOU UP, AND RAPING YOUR DOG, AND KILLING BABIES...devoice him

Yep, she should abandon the marriage after only 1.5 years. Better 1.5 years of abuse than 7 years as I experienced. At least she is realizing it early on and not after she's wasted too much time and lost her self esteem and maybe her mind. It took me years to get my head straight after the abuse I suffered - and it was all emotional/mental abuse (and my head may still be a little crooked! lol). The wrong attitude is to encourage somebody to stay in a marriage that is abusive.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.