Dakine

Anti virus programs?

46 posts in this topic

I'm getting a new PC [windows Vista] and wondered what's "out there" antivirus program wise.

I've been using Norton for years. Seem to have been OK. They wanted $79 to renew my old Norton 360 program.

Anyone have a better [cheaper] system?

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

get a Mac and forget about stinking viruses ;)

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

I use AVG free edition and have had no problems in over 4 years.

To be on the safe side I also password protect the Admin account and all user accounts are limited. This prevents any new executable files from running unless I am logged on as Admin. I only log on as Admin if I need to install new software or make any changes to the settings on my PC.

My husband and his kids complained loud and long when I first moved in and set up his PC this way but he was having virus problems almost monthly and has had no problem since. The kids still whine but I can live with that.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You can download Norton 10.2 and its for free plus Malwarebyte which is free and enough to protect your operating system.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I use AVG free edition and have had no problems in over 4 years.

To be on the safe side I also password protect the Admin account and all user accounts are limited. This prevents any new executable files from running unless I am logged on as Admin. I only log on as Admin if I need to install new software or make any changes to the settings on my PC.

My husband and his kids complained loud and long when I first moved in and set up his PC this way but he was having virus problems almost monthly and has had no problem since. The kids still whine but I can live with that.

I think you might just be my new best friend :thumbs:

Bren suffers with my nazi PC-usage policies. Oh well, that's why my laptop has no viruses sweetheartttttt :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Norton is bloated and easily fooled, same with McAfee. AVG is....well, it's free, you get what you pay for.

The best you can get is Kaspersky, it is about the same price as Norton and you get a 3 user license with it, and its a lot better. Your next best option is Nod32.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Until your HD goes bad and they charge you the price of a new mac to fix it.

Anyway, AVG is best.

5.26.23: Wedding

6.24.23: I-130

Of the free ones (Avast, Avira or AVG) Avira rates the best. I believe Norton Internet Security 2009 rated best of 'for sale' versions.

See http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/..._guys_like_this :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Until your HD goes bad and they charge you the price of a new mac to fix it.

Anyway, AVG is best.

BS,

I already had the problem, backed up all my info and they charged me 200 bucks, average price of a mac is 1000+

It's worth every dollar I paid for

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Norton is bloated and easily fooled, same with McAfee. AVG is....well, it's free, you get what you pay for.

The best you can get is Kaspersky, it is about the same price as Norton and you get a 3 user license with it, and its a lot better. Your next best option is Nod32.

Norton 2009 is one of the lightest and most effective security suites out there. It has won several comparisons, beating Nod32 which was rated better than Kaspersky. Probably the best free AV is Avira. Check out this thread and site for some valuable info. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=190538

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Of the free ones (Avast, Avira or AVG) Avira rates the best. I believe Norton Internet Security 2009 rated best of 'for sale' versions.

Your info is correct. NIS 2009 also won this months PC World comparison test. And Avira is considered the best free AV from most sources. See the link in my above post.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:thumbs: Good to know. I'm so out of the loop with this stuff....I've been using Ad-Aware, which has done me well for many years.