Fischkoepfin

Judge rules that U.S. can detain non-citizens indefinitely

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Except they're NOT getting flights home. If we're going to detain someone, even someone here illegally, they should be afforded due process and either given access to the legal system to contest their detention or go through the deportation process.

um yes they are - did you miss this part?

"A spokesman for the government, Charles S. Miller, would not respond to those assertions, saying only that the Justice Department was "very pleased that the court upheld the decision to detain plaintiffs, all of whom were illegal aliens, until national security investigations were completed and plaintiffs were removed from the country." He said the government was reviewing the rest of the opinion to decide whether to appeal the rulings Judge Gleeson made to allow the plaintiffs' other claims to proceed."

What worries me here is when we detain people indefinately without access to the legal system, how are we suppose to let all of the checks and balances work that are suppose to protect the innocent. What if someone gets swept up who is in fact not guilty of anything. How are they suppose to contest it if they're locked up indefinately?

where do you get the idea anyone detained won't have access to the legal system? they still get lawyers!

i see a lot of hand wringing about people violating visas, and i have to wonder why. hello! they are breaking the law!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Did no-one else pick up on the quoted status of the man brought to court in shackles?

Quote: Yesterday, Yasser Ibrahim, who had lived in New York for three or four years on an expired tourist visa and was delivered in shackles to the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn soon after Sept. 11, said through his lawyers that he was shocked and very disappointed by the judge's decision.

(end)

So..he's not a legal immigrant at all then is he? :huh:

No, but if he ain't supposed to be here then kick his sorry azz back to where it came from. Ban him from ever returning to the US for all I care. Locking him up indefinitely, though? I don't see how that makes any sense. :no:

Considering we're all paying for it, it doesn't seem to be a win for anyone, except for the right of bureaucratic government agencies to be even more bureaucratic.

Edited by Fishdude

It just seems that the government now has broad outreach to "detain" whomever they wish, all in the name of "the war on terror."

This scares me becuase the more that actions like this are legally upheld, the more and more they set the standard to deny constitutional rights to USCs deemed "threats to the State" or possible "terror conspirators."

There are a lot of countries around the world where if you say bad things about the policies of your government, you're arrested and beaten, maybe even killed. The US was never supposed to be like that, but if we continue upon this path.... it's going to be LEGAL for the government to do that.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

It just seems that the government now has broad outreach to "detain" whomever they wish, all in the name of "the war on terror."

This scares me becuase the more that actions like this are legally upheld, the more and more they set the standard to deny constitutional rights to USCs deemed "threats to the State" or possible "terror conspirators."

There are a lot of countries around the world where if you say bad things about the policies of your government, you're arrested and beaten, maybe even killed. The US was never supposed to be like that, but if we continue upon this path.... it's going to be LEGAL for the government to do that.

I agree. And one only has to look behind FEMA, the underlying reasons for FEMA, to know that this is a very real threat to the freedom of US citizens.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

I agree. And one only has to look behind FEMA, the underlying reasons for FEMA, to know that this is a very real threat to the freedom of US citizens.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

It's amazing to me that even folks from overseas can see it but there are people here who can't!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

It's amazing to me that even folks from overseas can see it but there are people here who can't!

There are many people in the US who can see what's going on, but as of yet they are "the silent majority." Not a good thing in the face of attacks on civil and constitutional rights.

Also, as you could see in this discussion as long as you believe that it's only illegal immigrants who fall under this interpretation of the law, there is not reason to worry because illegal immigrants have turned into "subhumans" without rights in the last few months. The fact that these people were not arrested on immigration charges but because of their national origin and or religion does not seem to matter either even though that should cause some red lights to go off especially since the judge in the article does not say that the government has the right to arrest and detain illegal immigrants on the basis of their nationality but that immigration law does not provide the same protections as the constitution for any immigrant.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Timeline

what is the underlying reason for fema? to squander money and show up late?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

FEMA??

I thought it was set up to respond to federal emergencies, and to reestablish the US Govt in the event of an attack upon Washinton, etc.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

FEMA??

I thought it was set up to respond to federal emergencies, and to reestablish the US Govt in the event of an attack upon Washinton, etc.

What it appears to be and what it is, are two different things. It is also set up to be against its own people. Look into it more.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
What it appears to be and what it is, are two different things. It is also set up to be against its own people. Look into it more.

Insider info? :P

a lot that the gov'ment is dbl speak, to say one thing but to mean many.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Timeline

Insider info? :P

a lot that the gov'ment is dbl speak, to say one thing but to mean many.

yup, fema is really a government conspiracy to fund hooters :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

figures, since they cant stay in business based on their food quality :P

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

figures, since they cant stay in business based on their food quality :P

i use to be friends with a hooter girl...she always had hot wings on hand :whistle:

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835