GJen

What made you decide to bring your fiance/spouse/etc. to the U.S. instead of relocating to his/her native country?

116 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Well, the streets here aren't paved with gold but the North Peckham estate is one of the most soul-destroying places in Britain. I think living in a council house isn't as rosy as you are suggesting.

And yes, I agree. People in the UK can live as well as Americans. I know this because I've done it and I generally agree that things could be better there on the lower end of the salary scale, particularly because one doesn't have to worry so much about healthcare. But everyone's experience can be different depending on where in the country they are living and where in America they are comparing it to.

Oh well sure. You can get along a lot better on $15K a year where I live vs. New York City. Just like trying to do the same in London vs. Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Anyway, my whole 'point' (if there was one) is that I really don't believe two poorly paid people (and that was the wording used) in the US can live better than one well paid person in the UK. I just don't believe that because I've seen how the truly 'poorly paid' live in the United States. No matter where in America they are. A couple of poorly paid people (who by my calculations would earn a maximum of $30K per year) would have a hard time making it in my town. Mind you, where I live there is no shame in living in a house trailer, or driving a ten year old car. Such an 'imaginary' couple would still have a hard time having anything extra beyond the groceries and gasoline.

That same couple couldn't even afford to take a breath in New York City.

And that was my only 'flabbergast' with the comment. :P

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

well, we live in the LA area and we make about $30,000 a year... hubby makes 99% of that.... and we have excellent health insurance ...

we live in a nice big apartment, the neighborhood isn't the greatest but it isn't the worst either.. and the low rent kind of makes up for it... an apartment this size in another part of town probbaly would be 200 to 500 dollars more a month..

we also have two cars.. they aren't new .. they are both over 10 years old but both still work reasonable well...

we eat out a few times a week...

by no means to I feel that I am missing out on things.....

I doubt though that most people couldn't live like we do.... I try and save us money wherever I can and I don't mind buying my clothes from discounts stores etc....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I was born and raised in India, however been living here for over 10 years. Life in India is great however just too hectic, you never get peace and quiet like you do here. Everyday you have lot's of people that will come over to visit you and then expect to be fed and entertained. I like it here, you get "your space"

Money is always an added bonus.

I think that when we are retired I would love for us to go back, when you have time to entertain all day.

well, we live in the LA area and we make about $30,000 a year... hubby makes 99% of that.... and we have excellent health insurance ...

we live in a nice big apartment, the neighborhood isn't the greatest but it isn't the worst either.. and the low rent kind of makes up for it... an apartment this size in another part of town probbaly would be 200 to 500 dollars more a month..

we also have two cars.. they aren't new .. they are both over 10 years old but both still work reasonable well...

we eat out a few times a week...

by no means to I feel that I am missing out on things.....

I doubt though that most people couldn't live like we do.... I try and save us money wherever I can and I don't mind buying my clothes from discounts stores etc....

That's the income from ONE person, Marilyn.

When two people work, certain expenses go up exponentially. Transportation of both of them to work; appropriate clothing for work; daycare (if there are children). There is usually less cooking done at home because of schedules, so food prices go up.

TWO people both going out to work each day earning a total of $30K between them would probably have less disposable income than you and your husband do.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Well, the streets here aren't paved with gold but the North Peckham estate is one of the most soul-destroying places in Britain. I think living in a council house isn't as rosy as you are suggesting.

And yes, I agree. People in the UK can live as well as Americans. I know this because I've done it and I generally agree that things could be better there on the lower end of the salary scale, particularly because one doesn't have to worry so much about healthcare. But everyone's experience can be different depending on where in the country they are living and where in America they are comparing it to.

Oh well sure. You can get along a lot better on $15K a year where I live vs. New York City. Just like trying to do the same in London vs. Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Umm you mean Derry, right? Londonderry is a mistake someone made in the 1600's, but it was just a mix-up don't ya know. :whistle:

The UK Wiki

Umm you mean Derry, right? Londonderry is a mistake someone made in the 1600's, but it was just a mix-up don't ya know. :whistle:

:P

You mean Stroke City, don't you?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Nope, I mean Derry. I will also accept Doire (but then you'd REALLY be pi$ing off your husband) :innocent:

The UK Wiki

I'd rather drive a cab in New York City than go live in India.

Seriously? Understand work/financial aspect, but anything else? I am curious.

Life in India is much harder than here. Day to day stuff.

Okay. Because I find it that in Indonesia, some day to day stuff are actually easier if you have access to good paying job. Yes, I would rather drive a cab in US than drive a cab in Indonesia for sure.

Maybe Indonesia isn't as corrupt. I see India on those 'top 10 corrupt country' lists all the time (with Pakistan, various African countries), I don't recall seeing Indonesia on it.

Indonesia is the most corrupt if you ask me :P

Ahh, obviously you have not been to the Philippines......

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
I'd rather drive a cab in New York City than go live in India.

Seriously? Understand work/financial aspect, but anything else? I am curious.

Life in India is much harder than here. Day to day stuff.

Okay. Because I find it that in Indonesia, some day to day stuff are actually easier if you have access to good paying job. Yes, I would rather drive a cab in US than drive a cab in Indonesia for sure.

Maybe Indonesia isn't as corrupt. I see India on those 'top 10 corrupt country' lists all the time (with Pakistan, various African countries), I don't recall seeing Indonesia on it.

Indonesia is the most corrupt if you ask me :P

Ahh, obviously you have not been to the Philippines......

Only as visitor for 3 weeks. I am sure it is not that much different from Indonesia.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Nope, I mean Derry. I will also accept Doire (but then you'd REALLY be pi$ing off your husband) :innocent:

My husband doesn't care that much one way or the other. But in his growing up household, they did call her Londonderry.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

In the near term, we decided that America has the best opportunities for her and I own several businesses here already. We do plan to explore moving to Kenya after 5 years when will have saved enough to build a house and base a business or two there (assuming the political and economic climate improves). Its very expensive to live a semi-western lifestyle in Kenya so I have to come up with a way to earn a good living there to make it work for us.

I saw a lot of opportunity there but the government is just too heavy handed on tariffs (100+%) and taxes to even consider getting my capital equipment (and household goods) into the country to setup shop or any other business. The markets are waiting to be created in the region for all types of products but of course income levels are generally low right now and that makes it more difficult to have a reasonable timeframe of recouping setup costs before we go broke. Perhaps we will just build vacation houses to support her uncle's safari business or something? :P

Edited by KikuyuLove

5/15/09 Picked up Visa

6/06/09 POE (IAD-Washington Dulles)

7/31/09 Civil Wedding

9/02/09 Mailed AOS-fired lawyer

9/16/09 Check Cashed

9/16/09 AOS NOAs issued

10/12/09 Biometrics Appointment -Baltimore

10/16/09 Received RFE

10/17/09 Mailed documents for RFE

11/04/09 AOS Transfered to CA

11/17/09 AP issued

11/20/09 Work Permit issued

12/09/09 Application APPROVED

12/10/09 Green Card production ordered

12/17/09 Green Card received

Child visa

11/17/09 Received email from Consulate to come in to process daughter's visa

12/30/09 Sharon arrives in Nairobi

01/15/10 Submitted Medicals and paperwork to Consulate

03/10/10 informed to pick-up visa 3/18/10

03/18/10 BLOWN OFF BY CONSULATE AFTER WAITING ALL DAY

03/19/10 Returned to Consulate-handed visa immediately upon arrival

04/17/10 Return flight via JFK --ON-HOLD

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline
I read that 90% of all accidents occur within 10 miles of home, so I wanted to get her away from there as soon as possible, si man. :)

:lol: Good one! lol For us, it's b/c my job in the US is more secure (as of now anyways- nobody knows what the future holds for us USCs in this economy :unsure: ) than his and financially more settled here than there. I grew up in my husband's home country and the political situation was unstable throughout our chidlhood. The country endured 14 years of civil war and as a result the economy is shot. Always more opportunities here. No wonder most people want to immigrate to the US and fulfill their American Dream :star:

NVC Journey: Finally OVER APRIL 21, 2009!!! INTERVIEW PASSED 05/12/09; VISA IN HAND 05/20/09

03/05/09: K3 and I 130 both approved! FINALLY after 230 emotionally trying days @ VSC!!

03/06/2009 : NVC Received; 03/09/09 Case Number Assigned; 03/10/09 K3 stuck in AP

03/17/2009 : AOS/IV fee bills generated (by email @ 10:00 p.m.); 03/18/2009 : AOS/IV fee bills paid online

03/27/2009 : AOS/DS 230 package sent to NVC; 04/02/2009 : AOS & DS-230 entered into NVC system

04/14/2009 : Found out K3 was forwarded to the consulate in Leb and CR1 stuck in AP; 04/18/09: K3 delivered

04/20/09: WOOHOO CR1 already out of AP; DS 230/AOS accepted with no RFEs!! Sign in failed on NVC payment site.

04/21/09: MAGIC CASE COMPLETE @ 4:30 P.M. THANK U GOD!!!

04/27/09: Hubby passed his medical; CR1 interview assigned for June 17th By NVC; but changed to MAY 12th after emailing embassy on 05/05/09 )

an1cET10g410530MDAwMzExOGx8MDAwMDU1NGRhfEFwcHJvdmVkLyBXYWl0aW5nIDQgUmV1bmlvbiE.gif

Interview Passed 05/12/09!!! Visa in hand 05/20/09!!! POE: 05/23/09

as1cEY00g410500MDA0NDZzfDAwMDk3c3xUaWxsIDFzdCB3ZWRkaW5nIGFubml2ZXJzYXJ5.gif

REUNITED JUST IN TIME FOR MY BDAY AND WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!!!! PRAISE BE TO GOD!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Cyprus
Timeline

We did both! He lived in my country first and didn't like it and then we moved to the US. I am British.

My Journey for my Parents ) IR5

(Please note we have taken our time and we could have gone faster with the NVC)

I have 2 petitions running at the same time, I have not posted 2 sets of dates because they have been processed either together or a few days of each other.

Beneficiaries Embassy-Cyprus

I-130 sent 2008-09-27 to Vermont

NOA1 received 2008-10-03

Transfered to California 2 weeks before approval

NOA2 received 2009-01-14

Received at NVC 2009-1-16

I 864 bill/DS3032 received 2009-1-22

I-864 invoiced online 2009-1-22

I-864 paid online 2009-01-31

DS3032 received at NVC by mail from parents 2009-02-13

IV fee invoiced online and paid 2009-02-15

Returned I-864 2009-02-16

I 864 entered into system 2009- 02-26

I864 reveiwed and approved-2009-03-03

DS 230 and documents sent 2009-03-27

IV packet delivered to NVC 2009-03-30

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I (the USC) have a good job here and own a home. My husband lived at home with his parents and the employment opportunities for me over in Germany, weren't great. I also don't speak the language and his degree is recognized here. Plus the cost of living in Germany is too high....

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

01-04-2008 - I-129F Sent

01-09-2008 - I-129F NOA1

03-05-2008 - I-129F NOA2

04-08-2008 - Medical Exam

04-17-2008 - Interview!!!

04-22-2008 - VISA IN HAND!

05-02-2008 - U.S. Entrance

06-14-2008 - MARRIAGE!

Phase 2....

06-19-2008 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06-26-2008 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

07-19-2008 - Biometrics

07-22-2008 - Transferred to CSC!

07-28-2008 - Email from CRIS confirming CSC received case

08-25-2008 - Received AP in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

08-29-2008 - Received EAD card in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

09-22-2008 - Received Email from CRIS for I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!"

09-27-2008 - Received Green Card in the mail!

Phase 3....

06-29-2010 - Sent I-751 and package to Remove Conditions

07-06-2010 - NOA1

08-24-2010 - Biometrics

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I love Philippines and I believe that my husband loves the Philippines too but we both decided to just live here in the US because of his source of income. My husband is a nurse and he gets paid well here in the US compare to what he will get in the PH. Edited by o0pink0o

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.