pwk86

is attorney needed?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I plan to start the k1 visa process within the next 3 months after i return from the philippine to meet requirment for having met in person in the last to year (btw this will be our 3rd meeting). Do the people here on VJ feel it wise to retain a immigration attorney or service for this process?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I plan to start the k1 visa process within the next 3 months after i return from the philippine to meet requirment for having met in person in the last to year (btw this will be our 3rd meeting). Do the people here on VJ feel it wise to retain a immigration attorney or service for this process?

This is predominantly a DIY site... most people have done it themselves... however to lawyer up or not is all your choice

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

DO It Yourself

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

you can do it without a lawyer - I think VJ makes this process easier, and you will get to meet wonderful people here who will help you and guide you along the process. I have heard that laywers sometimes are not that helpful and I even heard someone calling his lawyer an a$$hole, lol, so don't worry about it.

DO It Yourself

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

just do it yourself...anyways vj is here to help you out...and plus you wont be ignorant with the whole process of the petition...you will learn a lot.

hiring anybody to do it will make you ignorant.. :lol::lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There are quite a few people who's lawyers screwed things up for them. This process is completely doable by anyone as long as you read all the information and know what you have to do.

Start by reading the "Guides" and "Visa FAQ" sections here on VJ.

That'll give you a good start and can guide you through the process.

Best wishes.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

If by 'needed' you mean required - the answer is no, you don't need an attorney to petition for a fiancé/spouse. It is a fairly straight forward process and there are many resources on VJ to help the do-it-yourselfer.

If by 'needed' you are referring to if you personally will need one - that is strictly up to you and your circumstances. :thumbs:

No one should be telling anyone they shouldn't retain an attorney. Its entirely personal and based on the nuances of their own case. None of which can be ascertained by a few lines in an opening post.

uhm excuse me..the person was asking about having attorney or not...so we just answered what we think is better thing do to..whats the purpose of this forum if you dont get any answer right. thank you.

Filed: Other Timeline
No one should be telling anyone they shouldn't retain an attorney. Its entirely personal and based on the nuances of their own case. None of which can be ascertained by a few lines in an opening post.

Not to mention the fact that it states right on the VisaJourney homepage that VJ is not a substitute for qualified legal counsel....................

uhm excuse me..the person was asking about having attorney or not...so we just answered what we think is better thing do to..whats the purpose of this forum if you dont get any answer right. thank you.

Are you saying you know what is best for a couple based on a two line post?

Edited by LaL

Filed: Other Timeline

I wish I had a nickel for every wrong answer I have ever seen on here.

I could freakin' retire.

Timeline

If it is a straightforward fiancee visa then follow the guides and do it yourself. You seem to have time to go read the guides and look over the forums. Do some searches also and if have any questions then just come and ask.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I think he asked "Do the people here on VJ feel it wise to retain a immigration attorney or service for this process?" I think it was pretty general.

if he would have asked " do you think I shoudl hire an attorney for this process" then it would be a different story. People are giving only their opinion here, it is up to each of us decide what to do.

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.