Eveline

*Baby Corner*

5,409 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband is trilingual so he is trying to talk to her in both of his languages that arent english. and she just started with a daycare provider who is bilingual so maybe amirah will end up one of those people who has a smattering of 4 languages :) although its probably too much to hope for that she would be fluent in all of them...

I agree that they are sponges, they are not thinking the way we adults do as far as 'ok, this is english and now this is french and ok here is some arabic'. they learn the language before they actually learn the concept of being bilingual, does that make sense? Just keep exposing them to all of it in whatever way works best in your family and they will pick it up. The infant and childs capacity to learn is really amazing.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
how about 3 languages? Does anyone here have a tri-lingual child?

@Nessa: I think you both should agree on a name that Ben is going to call you and Charles. My son calls me Mommy, which is similar to the german "Mami".

nessa would probably vote for my name to be arschloch...........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

@Nessa: I think you both should agree on a name that Ben is going to call you and Charles. My son calls me Mommy, which is similar to the german "Mami".

nessa would probably vote for my name to be arschloch...........

:wow::lol: I think that's kind of hard to pronounce for a baby.

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

does anyone use baby signing? i've taken a couple of classes, and i think it's great. i'm sure ayah's personality is a huge factor in her contentedness, but i think at least part of her being such a happy baby is due to her being able to communicate more effectively with me through signing. my mom has been learning signing too, to help her communicate with ayah when she starts baby sitting her in a few months.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I am tri-lingual myself and teaching began from the infant stage. At home my parents would talk to me in Hindi or English and my grandparents and other relatives would talk in Bengali. And it has been the same formula for my brother and all other cousins and we all turned out pretty decent with all 3 languages. Actually one of the cousin can speak 7 languages, 5 Indian languages along with German and Spanish.

In India it is very common to learn multiple languages from early age and trust me it doesn't get confusing. Kids do learn to differentiate as time goes by. As someone else have pointed out, the key is to keep the consistency. Like anything if you stop practicing you kind of forget how to do it again, so is the case with languages too.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh wow, you all have really cute babies :)

We also plan to raise our kids to be at least bilingual, I'd like to make it trilingual but I'm not sure my man will get into it since, even if he's a linguist, would mean talking in his second language to our child. (Me: French, English, ein bisschen Deutsch und Schwyzerdütsch; I'll speak French at home / Him: English, Spanish and some French; he'll speak English at home).

Anyway, my post was mostly to say you all have really cute babies and I can't wait to move over and, well, make our own :blush:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I'm 25 weeks today. 5/8 done, 3/8 to go! :dance:

I need to decide what color to paint the nursery. This is the set that we chose

93004Vlg.jpg

Any ideas? We have cherry colored wood furniture and medium colored laminate wood flooring, and it is a well light room with a big window :)

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Timeline

@la souris: thank you and good luck on making your own. we'll be waiting for you to join us.

@caro: are u also buying the wall decals?

if it was me, i'd go with a blue. i don't like the color on the pic at all.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Timeline

Ben slept through the night for the first time. Yesterday we woke up probably around 7, he was eating all morning, on and off, most of the time on my boobs. then he took a nap from 1230-430, then again, on and off from 5-1030. And by on and off, i mean he'd be bfed for over an hour, then take less than half an hour break, sometimes eat for 30 min, take a 15 min break. It was not an easy day. But then my little angel decided to give me an entire night of sleep after 1030pm :dance:

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

woo hoo sounds good Nessa.....Molly only wakes ups once a night to eat, though she had a couple of nights of waking up twice due to a growth spurt

Chrissy UK (Yorkshire) John USA (Minnesota)

20/July/05 Married in Las Vegas!!

AOS approved April 12th 2006!!

4/01/08 mailed I-751 to Nebraska

4/3/08 package arrives at Nebraska

4/11/08 check cashed

4/14/08 recieved NOA extension letter

4/26/08 recieved biometrics appointment letter plus it looks like our case has been forwarded to California!

5/02/08 Biometrics scheduled

5/02/08 Biometrics completed in 10 mins!

Woo Hoo....8/28/08 Recieved 10yr Greencard in mail, no approved email!! We are done!!!

.png

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Sleep patterns varied greatly with Jona... Before he teethed, he pulled occasional 7 hour stretches, wow. Long gone! eversince the teeth showed up, we are lucky if he sleeps 2 hours in a row. Well now we are just waiting to move into our house and set up our rooms to find some routine, which we are lacking currently... I think that will help.

My nephew slept through the night early on, like a couple weeks old. That change d once he teethed and started to get colds. So... It depends on the child's body, pain factors and environment.

Jona crawls now, OMG. I cannot turn around for a second cause he'll crawl to the dresser and open it up (I cannot babyproof the motel room)... It looks so cute, hehehehe.

I was a little annoyed speaking with my sister yesterday... She kept telling me how many words her son (10 months) can say (which is fine and I am genuinely happy there), but kept comparing to my son and what he can. I hate those comparisons. And then the oh you don't teach him enough if he isn't speaking at least 10 words yet! Dude, he is 9 months old and bilingual. I am not worried one bit that the only thing he ever said was mama. Give me a break! I really dislike those comparisons and the guilt-trip. I mean, I could guilt-trip her since her little one will be in daycare all day long soon and who will teach him there? Yet I don't, cause I know he will be fine and she needs to work. GOd, every kid is different. Vent end.

Edited by Anna C.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Timeline

9 mo bilingual, thats amazing. congrats on the crawling

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Also remember that it is very common for bi-lingual (or tri, ect) babies to be quiet longer than other babies. While they do not get so confused as we adults do, they are taking in a bit more material than other babies! Don't worry at all! My cousins baby was learning Portuguese and Italian and she was practically silent until 18-24 months. But now she speaks ALL the time, totally fluently in both (she's 5). Don't worry!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Ladies, Enzo got his 2-month old shots today. OMG!!! It was so traumatizing to Tavo and myself. :cry: Enzo had been examined by the dr. and had fallen asleep. Well two nurses came in and said, "Just remember you love your baby." Oh noes!!! He got three injections and one oral vaccine. He cried out and then when it was all over I started sobbing, too. I guess I just had his whole NICU experience come back to me. He cried for no more than a minute and fell asleep. Tavo and I loaded him into the car and brought him home. My MIL said he's doing just fine - but it was so hard to go through. If I could have had a drink at 10am I would have done so. :wacko:

Edited by Staashi

Timeline

aww poor Enzo. you know, you can hasve a drink at 10am, just keep in my it's afternoon in argentina :P

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline