Canadianmade

How Did You Find Work In The US Without US Work Experience?

39 posts in this topic

Hi everybody how are you? I just want to ask you guys, for the people in the process of finding work or to the people who are working right now, where did you look for work, and how long did it take you guys to find work? I also want to ask and for us immigrants, we have no US work experience or references here, so did it make it tough for you guys to find work and what kind of jobs were you aiming for?

Here's a little background on me: I am in the process of looking for work here in the US, and we all know that the economy is terrible right now. I did get my EAD in the mail last friday, and I am waiting for my SSN to come in the mail. My work experience is in Customer Service, so I am trying to aim for jobs in that area. I am willing to take anything right now, to gain work experience, and to make money. I do have a 2yr diploma back in Canada in Accounting, but I have no desire to persue it at all. I do plan to go back to school to become a social work while working to get a bachelors degree because nowadays you have to have an education. Can you guys share any tips and info about your stories on finding work in the US?

Thank you in advance.

Removal of Conditions

05/20/2011.....................Sent off package today, so now playing the waiting game.(Day 1)

05/23/2011.....................Package was received(Day 3)

05/28/2011.....................Received NOA/one year extention letter dated 5/23/2011(Day 8)

06/04/2011.....................I got my biometrics letter in the mail, my appointment is for 06/13/2011@11:00am (Day 14)

06/13/2011.....................Biometrics appointment today @Cleveland, Ohio @11:00am (Day 23)

09/20/2011.....................Approved for 10yr green card, wooohooooo next step citizenship

09/24/2011.....................Received 10yr green card in the mail.

My window for Citizenship 05/20/2012

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Husband and I moved from Canada to outside Orlando last April.

I would really recommend that you start with employment agencies - this is how he found several contracts (up to a months duration) - which he could then put on his resume'.

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to translate Canadian experience to American - but based on the non-interest he received from employers contacted outside of an agency - it appears to be the case.

Why employers would be more willing to interview through an agency - I have no idea.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Why employers would be more willing to interview through an agency - I have no idea.

I wonder if it is because these "agencies" say they do a good job of screening potential applicants

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My first job was in Victoria's Secret. Retail is a good place to start.

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

I hear it's hard if you have no US work experience.

I've volenteered to the local animal shelter because I figure it will help me get a volenteer job in the US when I get there (looking after animals)... then I'll have some US history when the EAD comes in. :)

That's the plan anyway, hopefully it will work out.

I want to share my positive experience so that you know it isn't always difficult.

My educational background is in health science but as I am a recent grad, I have little work experience in this field. So when I started job hunting I aimed at finding an entry level position in a hospital - I applied online to 2-3 hospitals around where I live, mostly to admin/patient relation roles. 2 weeks later I received a call for a job interview. I went in the following week and had the interview, they called me the next day to verify the contact details of my references and 2 days after that I was hired. Easy as that!

oh and not having US references wasn't a problem. Mine were in Australia & Japan and HR simply contacted them through email.

My best advice is to first know where to look, and secondly make sure you put good effort into your resume.

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I would really recommend that you start with employment agencies - this is how he found several contracts (up to a months duration) - which he could then put on his resume'.

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to translate Canadian experience to American - but based on the non-interest he received from employers contacted outside of an agency - it appears to be the case.

Because temp agencies get jobs for people on a temporary basis. Employers have less to worry about than if they hired someone on as a full-time employee. Many U.S. employers provide benefits (i.e. healthcare, paid vacation, sick days, etc), but when gaining a temporary employee from an agency, none of that is applicable.

It's certainly possible for a temporary employee to become a full-time employee or in a worst case scenario, part-time. But unless you're doing exceptionally well at whatever job you were placed at, the chances of that occurring are slim.

Could you use your career in Canada to help with a job in the US ? When I received my greencard, I put the word out with ex-colleagues and associates in my home country (UK) that I was back on the market. The job I have now is a direct result of an ex-colleague passing my details to an associate of his in the US, and that guy calling me. I actually got three interviews that way and was offered the job with all 3 companies. I recommend that particular course of action, especially if like me, you have some skills which are fairly specialized. Good luck !

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Could you use your career in Canada to help with a job in the US ? When I received my greencard, I put the word out with ex-colleagues and associates in my home country (UK) that I was back on the market. The job I have now is a direct result of an ex-colleague passing my details to an associate of his in the US, and that guy calling me. I actually got three interviews that way and was offered the job with all 3 companies. I recommend that particular course of action, especially if like me, you have some skills which are fairly specialized. Good luck !

You have your answer right there. As the old saying goes, "It's not what you know, but who you know."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Because temp agencies get jobs for people on a temporary basis. Employers have less to worry about than if they hired someone on as a full-time employee. Many U.S. employers provide benefits (i.e. healthcare, paid vacation, sick days, etc), but when gaining a temporary employee from an agency, none of that is applicable.

It's certainly possible for a temporary employee to become a full-time employee or in a worst case scenario, part-time. But unless you're doing exceptionally well at whatever job you were placed at, the chances of that occurring are slim.

Yeah, I do know this. This comment was more about the point:

Why are U.S. employers not very interested in interviewing applicants with Canadian experience.

I keep forgetting to spell-every-single-thing out in these conversations.

Edited by trailmix

Claudeth had no work experience but was immediately hired at the Hyatt and after that Sears but she didn't like the work at either place.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I was last job hunting before things got this bad but what I did was:

• Checked online Monster, Dice, Career Builder, Local Papers, Regional Papers.. etc
  • Checked City, County, State Websites for anything I'd do or could do (these jobs have decent benefits, holidays and pay sometimes)
  • Sent in applications everywhere from Office Depot to the local Court House! lol
  • Read the local papers just in case, asked people to keep an eye out for anything they seen posted anywhere e.g. signs, in windows etc..
  • Walked (had no car then) to nearby stores and dropped in a CV's.. just in case..
  • I was going to try some agencies but never got to it at the time.. plus I had no stupid car to get anywhere!

I had my wife Americanize my CV as much as possible.. I hadn't a single bit of US work history and to be honest 3 out of the maybe 30 - 35 places I applied at responded. My experience I don't think was counted nor was my qualifications to the majority but... to be expected. One was an interview, second was a stop by and fill out another application (Office Depot lol) and the third was another interview as an office person. First interview never heard back, Office Depot was a second choice and the second interview went well.. followed up by a second then a phone call and an offer to start! The hiring manager had lived for some time outside the US which was a massive help!.. without that I'd been at office depot packing boxes! Still a start and nothing wrong with it but.. boxes or air conditioned office?... :hehe: plus air conditioned office started $3.00 more than office depot! lol

Two years later I'm still there.. not doing what I'd prefer to be doing but it's opened up a lot of opportunities and I've moved closer to what I used to do. I've been promoted a few times, got time and some cash to study and recertify here maybe college if I wanted to... etc. I've been allowed to expand what I do and moved past being a general office person and allowed to deploy my skills in other areas which is excellent. If I sit tight where I'm at I can happily prepare for my next move into the type of job I'd really like to do or expand out from where I'm at in this organization.

Good luck!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Man, am I tired of reading these horror stories! :wacko:

Somebody PLEASE tell me that the fact I have a U.S. college degree, and work experience on campus (complete with glowing references) means I won't have to stack shelves at WalMart!!!!

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Man, am I tired of reading these horror stories! :wacko:

Somebody PLEASE tell me that the fact I have a U.S. college degree, and work experience on campus (complete with glowing references) means I won't have to stack shelves at WalMart!!!!

Read my story above. Not every new immigrant has to work in retail or fast food

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.