GJen

is applying for fiance visa really worth it?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

There are advantages and disadvantages to each type of visa. You have to do your research and come up with the best solution for you. When my DH and I were looking at the options, here are a few of the things we looked at:

(1) How easy is it for a foreigner to marry in your country?

(2) How much money can you afford to pay up front? (At the time, a K-1 was easier for us as everything happened step-by-step and the money was gradual...not as much of the upfront expenses as other visa types.)

(3) Whom do you want at your wedding? (My family would have been devastated to not have been there and would not travel overseas.)

(4) Look at the stats for your consulate and weigh the options as well.

Just a few of my thoughts! Good luck!

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Is it worth it? YES, there are a few of us that have had a longer wait than others, but it is worth it. We have seen each other at our worst and at our best.

Other than a marraige visa, if you want to be with that person for the rest of your life its worth it.

sara

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

K1's and new tourist visas should not be mixed together. If you apply for a tourist visa and then a K1 it raises red flags. If you apply for a tourist visa and are not accepted it makes the k1 look suspicious. Lots of risks involved.

or have your partner join you through a visitors/tourist visa and marry her then change status.

Probably not best to be advising someone to do this. If you mean for them to come here on a visitor's visa with the intent of marrying and adjusting status, then what you are advising is visa fraud. I would tread lightly with such advice.

To the OP: Of course it's worth it if your fiancee is worth it. It's time consuming, frustrating, and can be costly. But is it worth it? Heck yeah.

i did not mean it the illegal way.

i meant if the fiance already had the visitor's visa, why not marry there? since the OP's problem here was how much they were gonna spend and if it was worth the expense.

well my bad.

i meant IF the partner already had a tourist/visitors visa.

i had a tourist visa and still came flew back to the PI then apply for K1. if i only knew it was that costly and with USCIS delaying things, i should have just stayed and got married. but still regardless... weighing it down... i was glad we went through the K1 cos it got me thinking if i really wanted to be with my bf and vice versa.

USCIS really shook the insanity in both of us. and made us realize how we really felt for each other.

it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

you truly find out how important you are to the other person. everything was worth it.

Filed: Timeline
K1's and new tourist visas should not be mixed together. If you apply for a tourist visa and then a K1 it raises red flags. If you apply for a tourist visa and are not accepted it makes the k1 look suspicious. Lots of risks involved.

Applying for a visitor visa and applying for a fiance visa are 2 separate things. One does not usually affect the other.

Applying for a visitor visa with the intent to visit the Country and go back does not raise a red flag (whether you get it or not) for a K1 because the purpose of both is different. It does not make the K1 look suspicious.

The risks are involved only if the person attempts visa fraud by applying for visitor visa with the intent of settling down in the Country.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

YES it is :star:

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Hello

I'm from Venezuela and my fiance and I are planning on applying for fiance visa in a couple of weeks. So far I have heard of two friends of mine who have tried to get the fiance visa. They all said it was just a waste of money, that they waited and waited and they never got an answer and they also spent so much money on it. So My Question is: Is it really worth it to apply for a fiance visa? It would be great if anyone from Venezuela who is going/went through the process let me know their point of view of Fiance visa. Thank you so much!

Yes, it is worth, if you want to do everything in order. But if i would have the chance i would go for a CR-1, but it was too late when I read it about it here in JV.

Good luck!!! :innocent:

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Hello

I'm from Venezuela and my fiance and I are planning on applying for fiance visa in a couple of weeks. So far I have heard of two friends of mine who have tried to get the fiance visa. They all said it was just a waste of money, that they waited and waited and they never got an answer and they also spent so much money on it. So My Question is: Is it really worth it to apply for a fiance visa? It would be great if anyone from Venezuela who is going/went through the process let me know their point of view of Fiance visa. Thank you so much!

The short answer is yes. What's your alternative?

A lot of people are coming up from South and Central America and crossing the border illegally.

They have anchor babies, hoping they can stay in USA.

A lot of cities in USA are now Sanctuary Cities, and Illegals are given safety in these cities, which is insane to me...

What on earth does your post have to do with the OP's? He's asking about the benefit of applying for a K1 and you are talking about illegals from SA and CA....

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Applying for a visitor visa and applying for a fiance visa are 2 separate things. One does not usually affect the other.

Applying for a visitor visa with the intent to visit the Country and go back does not raise a red flag (whether you get it or not) for a K1 because the purpose of both is different. It does not make the K1 look suspicious.

The risks are involved only if the person attempts visa fraud by applying for visitor visa with the intent of settling down in the Country.

I totally agree... applying for a tourist visa (and having it denied) and then applying for a K1 visa doesn't imply fraud. I know because we tried for a tourist visa & were denied (the thought of waiting for 9+ months for the K1 to make it through the system was unacceptable). The wait was horrible, but the K1 was eventually approved & my fiancee is here in the USA now.

The moral of the story is (like many have stated) that if the relationship is worth the wait then wait! If you are looking for a short cut you will probably just find dead ends or even a U-turn (i.e. if you try to beat the system your fiancee may end up deported later on).

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well I cant answer for anyone else but it was worth it for us.

Radzney and Steven

first started talking online 2005

Flew to Davao May 2008

arrived May 17 2008 and we were engaged

Returned to USA June 1 2008

06/11/2008 sent in packet

06/16/2008 recieved NOA1

06/18/2008 bank shows check cleared

07/09/2008 touched

10/30/2008 approved Noa2

10/31/2008 touched

11/06/2008 hard copy of Noa2 arrived in mail

11/07/2008 case left NVC for Manila embassy

12/15/2008 passed medical yeppi

12/19/2008 set for interview

12/19/2008 approved at interview

12/30/2008 Visa Delievered

01/14/2009 Flight to USA

01/14/2009 POE SFO

02/13/2009 Purchased Marriage License

02/18/2009 Married

03/31/2009 Filed AOS, EAD,AP

04/09/2009 Check cashed for AOS

04/09/2009 NOA for AOS EAD and AP

04/27/2009 Biometrics

05/11/2009 Adjustment of Status Approval Notice

06/06/2009 Green Card Received

08/24/2009 First day at job

Hello

A lot of people are coming up from South and Central America and crossing the border illegally.

A lot of cities in USA are now Sanctuary Cities, and Illegals are given safety in these cities, which is insane to me...

What on earth does your post have to do with the OP's? He's asking about the benefit of applying for a K1 and you are talking about illegals from SA and CA....

The question was "What's your alternatives?

Read the questions and comments before making an off hand remark next time, Thanks.......

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

I agree with the comments below, with a caveat. If you are single, and especially if you are a young single woman, in most countries there are automatic barriers. Most embassy have canned questions for tourist visas including such things as assets and acquaintances in the US. e.g. "Do you have a boyfriend in the US?" "Do you know people in the US? If so, whom?" If the answer is "No", and if you are then denied a tourist visa to the US, then you apply for a K1 shortly thereafter, you may be perceived as having misrepresented yourself at the embassy. My cousin works for a Senator's office and she works on several visa comittees. She warned me that applying for a tourist visa under false premises, being denied, and then being interviewed shortly thereafter (6 months later) for a fiancee visa could and has resulted in denial of K1. It is all up to the interviewer to decide. If they ever feel that you are being untruthful, most embassy employees have a zero tolerance for being untruthful.

Yes, it is okay to go for a tourist visa, but you should tell the truth about relationships. The imperative of issuing a tourist visa is that the embassy needs to believe that you are going to return to your home country. That is why they ask about your assets in your own country, and your relationships with people outside of the country. As soon as you say you have a boyfriend in the US, that could be grounds to deny your tourist visa. If you say you have no boyfriend and then 1 month later you are applying for a K1, that makes it look like you don't have a legitimate relationship. If you get a tourist visa and come a couple of times, you can keep a tourist visa and apply separately for the K1 and legally emmigrate to the US.

I think that in the original question, the person asking the question already qualified their response as not wanting to go the tourist visa route. I would just feel badly if we convinced people that using the tourist visa as a speedy way to avoid the K1 processing time. Do people do it? Sure. No question. It just comes with risks. When you apply to the embassy for the K1, they ask if you have any visas for any other countries, if you have ever applied for a US visa, if you have been denied a US or other national visa, etc.

The embassy's keep records of each interview. They cross-reference. Is the K1 visa worth it? Yes. It is the legal way to enter the US to be with the one you love. You have 90 days to marry, so you can spend those 3 months deciding if you are the same being together as being apart. If it doesn't work out, you can go home, and it will show that you are willing to abide by immigration laws. I know a lady who came in on a k1, went back home without marrying, then came back 2 years later on a new K1 for different fiancee. As always, your mileage may vary, but always tell the truth.

or have your partner join you through a visitors/tourist visa and marry her then change status.

Probably not best to be advising someone to do this. If you mean for them to come here on a visitor's visa with the intent of marrying and adjusting status, then what you are advising is visa fraud. I would tread lightly with such advice.

To the OP: Of course it's worth it if your fiancee is worth it. It's time consuming, frustrating, and can be costly. But is it worth it? Heck yeah.

i did not mean it the illegal way.

i meant if the fiance already had the visitor's visa, why not marry there? since the OP's problem here was how much they were gonna spend and if it was worth the expense.

well my bad.

i meant IF the partner already had a tourist/visitors visa.

i had a tourist visa and still came flew back to the PI then apply for K1. if i only knew it was that costly and with USCIS delaying things, i should have just stayed and got married. but still regardless... weighing it down... i was glad we went through the K1 cos it got me thinking if i really wanted to be with my bf and vice versa.

USCIS really shook the insanity in both of us. and made us realize how we really felt for each other.

it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

you truly find out how important you are to the other person. everything was worth it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It feels like the USCIS went out of their way to make this process as difficult and as confusing as they possibly could, and have put in place measures to trip you up at every step of the way. Really, it feels like they do not want you to get married. It's only worth it if you truly want to get married. If not, why deal with what is essentially a PITA process set up to keep people out of the country and operated by people who could not care less about the success/failure of your relationship with your SO?

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Hello

Read the questions and comments before making an off hand remark next time, Thanks.......

Uh, "you're welcome." I did read ALL the comments. Your post still makes no sense in relation to the OP's questions.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
Hello

Uh, "you're welcome." I did read ALL the comments. Your post still makes no sense in relation to the OP's questions.

Its a post that should be removed as its giving advise on illegally immigrating here

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE GIVING ADVICE THAT IS OPINION BASED. IT HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, THEN IT IS BETTER FOR ALL THAT YOU SAY NOTHING!!!

I WILL AVOID A FLAME WAR BY NOT QUOTING THE IGNORANT. Y O U K N O W :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.