Captain Ewok

Top (non forum) area of VJ you would like improved for 2009?

What area of the site would you like improved for 2009 (except the forums)? Feedback also welcome  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What area should be improved?

• Example Forms
    • Timelines
    • Embassy Info
    • Embassy / POE Reviews
    • Portals
    • Guides
    • Wiki
    • Visa FAQ
    • Other? (leave your comments)

62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Please let me know what you think. This will help me focus on areas of most importance when doing updates in the short term. :) If you have an area you would like to comment on that is not listed let me know in this topic. Also feel free to elaborate on your choice that you voted for.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for asking, Cap'n! Following are absolutely tip-of-the-forebrain responses from memory, not looking at anything, and way past bedtime, but I wanted to get them in early:

1. An updated section on the I-693 needs to be pinned, with current & updated information on Dr. L.E. Arnold (the civil surgeon). The present information (someone in a recent thread provided a link to it) is badly outdated -- suggesting a $10 fee, wrong suite number, etc. People have no guidance as to procedures, etc., except anecdotally. I posted the updated information in a thread last month or so. I never saw on VJ -- intact, accurately, and in one place -- most of the information that I gained from calling Dr. Arnold's office directly.

This is one of those areas of information that someone should ideally check on directly (with Dr. Arnold's office) at least quarterly, to ensure that addresses, fees, etc. remain accurate.

2. Next, in one of the guides (K-1?), there's a reference to the long-obsolete filing program for residents of Texas & Oklahoma (with a blank page after the link). This ought to be corrected, and other details of a special nature throughout the Guides could be double-checked for pertinence.

3. The "step-by-step" AOS guide starts great guns but then fizzles. Consider listing ALL the required and potentially required attachments for ALL of the forms, not just the I-485.

4. The VJ "search" function has never been of value to me. I put in a topic and get dozens (hundreds?) of "hits," including individual replies from long, long threads. What's worse is that these individual replies seem to be strewn randomly within the search results. There seems to be no way to sort results by date, or by separate threads rather than by individual posts within threads.

5. The pinned threads atop every forum should optimally be re-titled so that there is zero doubt regarding what they are about, and all extraneous reply posts removed from them. Information within pinned threads needs to be scrutinized for accuracy on a regular schedule.

6. Consider adding a pinned section (akin to FAQs) that features common UNTRUTHS, WRONG ASSUMPTIONS, and FALLACIES. I strongly recommend that the VJ member pushbrk be consulted or involved in such a project.

7. For God's sake, please remove that "Q&A with former adjudicator" completely. That information is five years old by now, and policies, procedures, and practices have evolved. Too many VJers may take the information literally or as current gospel.

8. Consider splitting the Latin America/Mexico/Caribbean regional forum into two forums: Latin America/Mexico, and Caribbean.

9. This is probably the most serious and heartfelt request of all: Enable the various timeline databases to accept and tally DENIED VISAS and SECOND INTERVIEWS REQUIRED. For example, a large number of VJ members have experienced both of the above messes in Ecuador, yet there's no mechanism by which to report this (except consular reviews, which the denied parties will almost certainly not post, or individual threads, which get buried). This seems to me to be utterly crucial information for absolutely everyone.

10. The instructions for posting photos in one's profile were unclear to me when I joined (and they may have been "buried"); I tried posting a photo a couple of months ago and got nothing. Please consider "steps for idiots," and "what to do if nothing happens," etc.

Finally, I sincerely urge that the VJ member pushbrk be specifically consulted and heeded regarding potential improvements to the VJ system. I have no right to volunteer him, but he has remarkable knowledge and common sense that apply to many different areas of VJ.

Thank you for your receptivity.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
Thanks for asking, Cap'n! Following are absolutely tip-of-the-forebrain responses from memory, not looking at anything, and way past bedtime, but I wanted to get them in early:

1. An updated section on the I-693 needs to be pinned, with current & updated information on Dr. L.E. Arnold (the civil surgeon). The present information (someone in a recent thread provided a link to it) is badly outdated -- suggesting a $10 fee, wrong suite number, etc. People have no guidance as to procedures, etc., except anecdotally. I posted the updated information in a thread last month or so. I never saw on VJ -- intact, accurately, and in one place -- most of the information that I gained from calling Dr. Arnold's office directly.

This is one of those areas of information that someone should ideally check on directly (with Dr. Arnold's office) at least quarterly, to ensure that addresses, fees, etc. remain accurate.

2. Next, in one of the guides (K-1?), there's a reference to the long-obsolete filing program for residents of Texas & Oklahoma (with a blank page after the link). This ought to be corrected, and other details of a special nature throughout the Guides could be double-checked for pertinence.

3. The "step-by-step" AOS guide starts great guns but then fizzles. Consider listing ALL the required and potentially required attachments for ALL of the forms, not just the I-485.

4. The VJ "search" function has never been of value to me. I put in a topic and get dozens (hundreds?) of "hits," including individual replies from long, long threads. What's worse is that these individual replies seem to be strewn randomly within the search results. There seems to be no way to sort results by date, or by separate threads rather than by individual posts within threads.

5. The pinned threads atop every forum should optimally be re-titled so that there is zero doubt regarding what they are about, and all extraneous reply posts removed from them. Information within pinned threads needs to be scrutinized for accuracy on a regular schedule.

6. Consider adding a pinned section (akin to FAQs) that features common UNTRUTHS, WRONG ASSUMPTIONS, and FALLACIES. I strongly recommend that the VJ member pushbrk be consulted or involved in such a project.

7. For God's sake, please remove that "Q&A with former adjudicator" completely. That information is five years old by now, and policies, procedures, and practices have evolved. Too many VJers may take the information literally or as current gospel.

8. Consider splitting the Latin America/Mexico/Caribbean regional forum into two forums: Latin America/Mexico, and Caribbean.

9. This is probably the most serious and heartfelt request of all: Enable the various timeline databases to accept and tally DENIED VISAS and SECOND INTERVIEWS REQUIRED. For example, a large number of VJ members have experienced both of the above messes in Ecuador, yet there's no mechanism by which to report this (except consular reviews, which the denied parties will almost certainly not post, or individual threads, which get buried). This seems to me to be utterly crucial information for absolutely everyone.

10. The instructions for posting photos in one's profile were unclear to me when I joined (and they may have been "buried"); I tried posting a photo a couple of months ago and got nothing. Please consider "steps for idiots," and "what to do if nothing happens," etc.

Finally, I sincerely urge that the VJ member pushbrk be specifically consulted and heeded regarding potential improvements to the VJ system. I have no right to volunteer him, but he has remarkable knowledge and common sense that apply to many different areas of VJ.

Great ideas! Here are a few that I think may already be fixed:

Item #2 should be fixed (updated recently)

Item #4 can be accessed via the "Advanced forums search" here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ch&mode=adv

You can access by clicking "forums search" then "more search options"

Also the Google Powered Search at the top is pretty good for not only the forums but the entire site

Comments on your ideas:

#3 This is a good idea and easy enough to fix

#5 Good idea to collect any updates and fix them up

#6 is awesome! Something like, "Immigration Rumor Control: Truths and Fallacies"

#7 Can anyone verify this is not true anymore? Maybe keep but label with the date of the information... Also I am pretty sure we can arrange to interview the USCIS and get updated information if needed.

#8 I will have to look at usage data to see if this makes sense

#9 Making the timeline data more robust is useful but we have to be careful about information overload (need to be smart about how the user is presented the data and forms

#10 I have heard this many times. The welcome email can certainly have this added.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Great ideas! Here are a few that I think may already be fixed:

Item #2 should be fixed (updated recently)

Item #4 can be accessed via the "Advanced forums search" here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ch&mode=adv

You can access by clicking "forums search" then "more search options"

Also the Google Powered Search at the top is pretty good for not only the forums but the entire site

Comments on your ideas:

#3 This is a good idea and easy enough to fix

#5 Good idea to collect any updates and fix them up

#6 is awesome! Something like, "Immigration Rumor Control: Truths and Fallacies"

#7 Can anyone verify this is not true anymore? Maybe keep but label with the date of the information... Also I am pretty sure we can arrange to interview the USCIS and get updated information if needed.

#8 I will have to look at usage data to see if this makes sense

#9 Making the timeline data more robust is useful but we have to be careful about information overload (need to be smart about how the user is presented the data and forms

#10 I have heard this many times. The welcome email can certainly have this added.

I wanted to pick two answers actually...the guides and the example forms.

1. The previous post about the guides I agree with totally..especially the medical information I-693 is outdated.

2. Under the topic of denied visa, or second interview required I would strongly urge that people fill out their timelines as it helps others in the process to estimate approvals, but I find that unfortunately there are alot of incomplete, and if there is a reason it is incomplete...then why? Withdrew the petition? Abandoned AOS process? or just did not follow up on VJ with the outcomes.

3. For the example forms, and I do not know if this is possible because I have not done a DS-160...but most consulates are switching to the DS-160 and eliminating the 156,157 and 158, is there any way to get an example form of the DS-160 on VJ?

4. Medical exam information-needs a bit of updating, I would also add that the HPV vaccine is a new requirement for women under a certain age.

5. Searching Immigration Timelines-for myself in preparing to file the petition it was helpful to search timelines of others who have already filed. Is there a way to search for a specific month/year without having to go through 10 or 15 pages of results? I know that you can get the results in chronological order. Also for my country (Canada) there are two consulates, but there is no way to search for a specific consulate, only a specific service center and country. Sometimes one consulate is slower/faster than the other in processing and interviewing applicants.

Thank you for asking for VJ members input! Hope this is helpful!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Timeline

There's another part of VJ? Not just forums?

:P

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Timeline
5. Searching Immigration Timelines-for myself in preparing to file the petition it was helpful to search timelines of others who have already filed. Is there a way to search for a specific month/year without having to go through 10 or 15 pages of results? I know that you can get the results in chronological order. Also for my country (Canada) there are two consulates, but there is no way to search for a specific consulate, only a specific service center and country. Sometimes one consulate is slower/faster than the other in processing and interviewing applicants.

Thank you for asking for VJ members input! Hope this is helpful!

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/filterlist.php

Filed: Other Timeline

:rofl:

There's been plenty of people on VJ before pushbrk came along that knew a heck of a lot more about immigration than he could ever hope for, and they certainly were never put on Admin's pedestal. In fact, they were pretty much used, abused and tossed out.

And NO, I'm certainly NOT referring to myself!

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Timeline

rebecca,

pushbrk is by far the most knowledgeable and accomplished vjer I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

In fact, I do believe Ewok should step down and hand over the reigns of power to him instead.

He's earned it.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would like to see improvement with the example forms.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

I have greatly improved the AOS Guide (specifically the second half where you said it fizzled).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

If you can think of other revisions to it let me know! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
VJ moderation may take some hits here, but overall; it is fair, balanced and effective.

you mean the mods ARE fox news? :blink:

:P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
rebecca,

pushbrk is by far the most knowledgeable and accomplished vjer I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

In fact, I do believe Ewok should step down and hand over the reigns of power to him instead.

He's earned it.

apparently you've never heard of the mermaid, and becca can hold her own with anyone.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

i'd like to see a subform for "K-3 Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports" like the "K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports"

* ~ * Charles * ~ *