vareska

Affidavit of bona fide relationship

10 posts in this topic

Hey ya'll,

I had my family members write affidavits of bona fide marriage for my husband and I due to the lack of vested financial interest in the marriage, children, etc.

The persons writing the letters are my aunts and cousins, my parents and my sister (all US citizens) who were present at our wedding and have known about our relationship for years. In their letters, they wrote wonderful things about how they have close relationship with me over the years and how they believe they are good judge of my character, they described meeting my husband (then fiance), and shared their insights into why they believe our marriage is a true union between two pple committed to be together. Letters are half page to one page lenghts, but do have a personal touch to them.

My question to you is: out of all of you who have been approved for visa, or the ones who are just about done with the process, how many of you have kept the affidavits factual and had your family and friends write just the minimum info, and how many of you have submitted affidavits that were a little heart felt, personal (maybe almost a little cheesy:) ?

I wanna make sure the affidavits are professional and official document like, but at the same time I kinda feel that the fact that they shared all these things about my character and their observations about my husband and our relationship could be beneficial to prove we are not doing this as a visa sham.

I welcome all your thoughts, but at this time I am interested in hearing only from pple who have been through the process and are approved, no newbies please.

No hard feelings, just wanna see what is the right path for me from pple who may know well about this thing....

Thank you all for your input!

Respectfully,

Lejla

12/05/11.......................Filed I-751

12/06/11.......................NOA

01/03/12......................BIO

09/10/12..................... Approved

09/21/12..................... Received GC

Hey ya'll,

I had my family members write affidavits of bona fide marriage for my husband and I due to the lack of vested financial interest in the marriage, children, etc.

The persons writing the letters are my aunts and cousins, my parents and my sister (all US citizens) who were present at our wedding and have known about our relationship for years. In their letters, they wrote wonderful things about how they have close relationship with me over the years and how they believe they are good judge of my character, they described meeting my husband (then fiance), and shared their insights into why they believe our marriage is a true union between two pple committed to be together. Letters are half page to one page lenghts, but do have a personal touch to them.

My question to you is: out of all of you who have been approved for visa, or the ones who are just about done with the process, how many of you have kept the affidavits factual and had your family and friends write just the minimum info, and how many of you have submitted affidavits that were a little heart felt, personal (maybe almost a little cheesy:) ?

I wanna make sure the affidavits are professional and official document like, but at the same time I kinda feel that the fact that they shared all these things about my character and their observations about my husband and our relationship could be beneficial to prove we are not doing this as a visa sham.

I welcome all your thoughts, but at this time I am interested in hearing only from pple who have been through the process and are approved, no newbies please.

No hard feelings, just wanna see what is the right path for me from pple who may know well about this thing....

Respectfully,

Lejla

Difficult to comment as you haven't put a timeline or said what stage of the immigration process you are?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Difficult to comment as you haven't put a timeline or said what stage of the immigration process you are?

Oh, you're right

I haven't filed yet, I am sending the initial paperwork in this week ( I-130), so I was wondering if the affidavits I got are ok to send in, or if I should ask for them to write factual, "under the penalty of perjury I proclaim that I believe Lejla and Kenan's marriage is a truthful one" kind of affidavit :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I was wondering if the affidavits I got are ok to send in, or if I should ask for them to write factual, "under the penalty of perjury I proclaim that I believe Lejla and Kenan's marriage is a truthful one" kind of affidavit.
I collected such statements as "damage control" to convince a rogue consulate of my relationship. Two immigration attorneys (both with consular experience) recommended to me that the U.S. petitioner collect several letters from his people (I had 14, but 8 to 10 would do) of a maximum one page in length, with complete information about how to contact the letter-writer. As long as the basic facts are correct (spelling of the fiancee's name, month when you met/married, etc.), let the writers say what they want. Conversely, the FOREIGN beneficiary should have no more than 3 letters, with formal language (and contact information). The reason for this is that too many letters, or text that's too emotional or "drippy," can cause the consular interviewer to suspect that these relatives have a personal stake in the situation beyond mere verification of the relationship.

In your proposed language above, delete the words "I believe" -- collect letters only from people who KNOW that your relationship is genuine (a better word than "truthful").

And, compliments on thinking ahead before you have filed your petition! When such "proof of relationship" is included in the information that is sent to USCIS, the consulate cannot later claim with any authority that it does not exist.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Thank you for your response, my fellow Texan.

You know, right after I wrote the "believe" part, I thought I should advise my family to use words that are more statement-like, and avoid words such as believe, think, etc.

Alright, I am feeling a little better about this now :) Thank you.

C'mon guys, keep the feedback coming, I am so nervous I am shaking thinking about putting all these documents in an envelope and FINALLY sending it in. Sometimes I tend to over think things:) so all your advice is greatly appreciated.

Lejla

Hi! The only proof I sent was an affidavit from my mother-in-law. The letter was formal, she only mentioned the facts and dates, and she said I was able to speak and write in English. That was the only thing, and worked for us. No RFE... You'll be fine!

GOOD LUCK :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hey ya'll,

Respectfully,

Lejla

I wrote heart felt, and of course included factual details, our friends wrote simple but to the point and a little heartfelt also. I had been married before and had three kids with that marriage . I wanted to show them this is the real thing and how important my kids and I where to him and how important he was to us. I am not sure if it was something that helped but he had a good interivew and we where in processing for only two weeks.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hey ya'll,

Respectfully,

Lejla

Most newlyweds actually don't send any affidavits at all but yours sound fine as they are. Since your relationship has spanned years, you could have just provided "other" evidence like evidence of multiple visits over several years. Sometimes it really helps to get here to VJ early in the process and do a lot of reading about the experiences of others and questions already frequently discussed. Now that you have the affidavits, use them of course.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Thank you for your response, my fellow Texan.

You know, right after I wrote the "believe" part, I thought I should advise my family to use words that are more statement-like, and avoid words such as believe, think, etc.

Alright, I am feeling a little better about this now :) Thank you.

C'mon guys, keep the feedback coming, I am so nervous I am shaking thinking about putting all these documents in an envelope and FINALLY sending it in. Sometimes I tend to over think things:) so all your advice is greatly appreciated.

Lejla

Your going to be fine when you put all those docs in a envelope, and when you send it off, you will breath again.

Best of luck to you in your journey.

Paris Hearts Desire

Getting re-married via proxy Feb. 10th 2009 Honeymoon in Paris Feb. 11th-15th 2009

Refiling petition: Feb. 17th 2009

9699.gif

Your going to be fine when you put all those docs in a envelope, and when you send it off, you will breath again.

Best of luck to you in your journey.

Oh, I don't think I will breathe again until we are finally together, but thank you for your thoughts and wishes.

Best of luck to you as well, my visa buddy :)

Lejla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.