Niels Bohr

Teacher sorry for binding girls in slavery lesson

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press Writer Jim Fitzgerald, Associated Press Writer 2 hrs 4 mins ago WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – A white social studies teacher attempted to enliven a seventh-grade discussion of slavery by binding the hands and feet of two black girls, prompting outrage from one girl's mother and the local chapter of the NAACP. After the mother complained to Haverstraw Middle School, the superintendent said he was having "conversations with our staff on how to deliver effective lessons."

"If a student was upset, then it was a bad idea," said Superintendent Brian Monahan of the North Rockland School District in New York City's northern suburbs.

The teacher apologized to the mother who complained and her 13-year-old daughter during a meeting Thursday that also included a representative of the local NAACP. But the mother, Christine Shand of Haverstraw, said Friday she thinks the teacher should be removed from the class.

"I think the teacher should have gotten some discipline," Shand said. "I know if that was me, I would be uncomfortable going back to that class. Why should my daughter have to switch?"

Monahan refused to say what, if any, measures were taken against the teacher, Eileen Bernstein, who was still working on Friday. The school district said she was not available for comment.

"We encourage our teachers to deliver the curriculum in a variety of ways, to go beyond just reading the textbook," the superintendent said. "We don't want to discourage creativity. But this obviously went wrong because the student was upset."

On Nov. 18, Bernstein was discussing the conditions under which African captives were taken to America in slave ships. She bound the two students' hands and feet with tape and had them crawl under a desk to simulate the experience, Monahan and Shand said. Monahan said the girls were not the only blacks in the class.

Gabrielle Shand burst into tears at home, her mother said.

"There are other ways to demonstrate slavery," Christine Shand said Friday. "It doesn't matter the color of the kids, it's just not right to tie them up. My daughter is still upset, still embarrassed. She didn't go to school today."

Wilbur Aldridge, director of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said the history demonstration, first reported in The Journal News, "went wrong when she started to do that binding."

"I don't care what color, no one should be put in the position of having their hands and feet bound," he said.

Aldridge said he feared that the teacher still "didn't get it" after their meeting. He said the teacher apologized "because Gabrielle was upset, not because she admitted she did something wrong."

Shand said she had not decided whether to take any further action, including filing a lawsuit.

This teacher didn't do anything wrong. By making demonstrations about history events, it would be very effective at showing what should not be repeated. Over time, as history have told us, that society forget about the past and continue to repeat them year after year.

Maybe if he would have used a white student, this wouldn't been the problem. However, it's still a problem unless people learn to differentiate the past with the present.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I do think the teacher was simply trying to demonstrate the lesson. But it went too far when they were bound and worse that the girls were reluctant, embarrassed, and otherwise upset as one of the mother's recounted. I think there are enough documentaries, movies, books, etc. or led discussions that could have been used to get the point across. I would have been upset if it were my kids. Based on the few facts that I've heard, I don't think its lawsuit worthy- but I wouldn't have let it slide either. And as a side note, the girls were 13, in middle school. Kids that age can be unbelievably cruel. It wouldn't surprise me if they were to be ostracized by other classmates (both black and non-black). Stupid, silly- I know, but they're kids.

Interestingly, I remember hearing about a teacher in the midwest who taught her students about discrimination by dividing her all white class by eye color (or hair color?) many, many years ago. They since followed up with her students who were at the time in the 30s or so, and they all talked about it in positive terms. I don't think this is the same as the story that was posted. But its something that today probably wouldn't be accepted. Or at least it wouldn't be as widely accepted as it might have been many years ago.

Edited by reeses16

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

When I teach my Holocaust unit I divide my students by eye color first then by other characteristics (age, hair color, height, etc.). They then have to make "choices" given to Judenrat members during WWII.

It's an emotional lesson and they are well prepared in advance, but they all learn from it. When I do evaluations at the end of the year, many say that is the lesson that really "did it" for them.

However, this teacher should have never used duct tape to bind students. That's just crossing too many legal lines and shows poor judgment, IMHO.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
This teacher didn't do anything wrong. By making demonstrations about history events, it would be very effective at showing what should not be repeated. Over time, as history have told us, that society forget about the past and continue to repeat them year after year.

Maybe if he would have used a white student, this wouldn't been the problem. However, it's still a problem unless people learn to differentiate the past with the present.

Nothing wrong?

I guess you're gonna tell me OJ was innocent too?

This teacher BOUND two students. Before we even get into the matter of race, let's just look at the basic essential expectation of a responsible teacher.

There is no reason for an educator to BIND children, unless they're giving Guantanomo Bay security classes.

Now let's take it a step further. Should we teach about the Holocaust by having students get naked and pretend they're in a shower?

Should we teach about 911 by having students pretend to jump out of buildings? How about bringing some booze to class or having a field trip to a tavern to discuss prohibition?

There's a certain time for "hands on" education, and for all other times, there are hundreds if not thousands of learning aids that in the proper hands

would be MUCH more effective and NOT have to physically or psychologically injure anyone.

There was nothing right about what the teacher did. Truly poor judgement.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Timeline

What I see is that unless it is used as punishment it is not problem.

Maybe if the teacher have asked the parents first, it would've been okay. Or, if he had asked the students and they agree to let him perform. The situation in the article is vague because it seems off-balance towards the teacher. Nobody seems reasonable here as I have put a very simple point that can be solved simply by taking precautions because it is a very delicate thing since slavery happened not that long ago.

In Cambodia, people forget about the US bombing Ho Chi Minh Trail that stretched from south China through Cambodia and into Vietnam. It's painful for some innocent Cambodians who are victims to the US carpet bombs, but, they don't want stuff like the repeated. The government have censored the Khmer Rouge history by not teaching the history to students. What happened? Nobody knows. Now, history is about to repeat itself again with a civil war that is bound to happen.

These people want to educate the public, want people to know of how their lives were affected by the US bombings. However, the government have censored them fearing that there maybe retaliation.

It may be different with slavery, but, I do know slavery exists in Cambodia. None of these people have problems with showing people how bad it is to be a slave.

If people are able to drop their excess baggages and experience the demonstration, then there'll surely be more understanding between groups. It'll become mutual.

I think the problem nowadays is that many people are very uptight, unreasonable, always try to find fault in people, or not trying to find a solution to problem.

Edited by Niels Bohr

Timeline

Before I get compared to an OJ supporter in this thread. I'm only going to say it once. I am neither a part of any mob. I think based on rationale. OJ is firmly founded guilty based on the evidence represented. His statements of apology is unacceptable to me.

Back to topic.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
"If a student was upset, then it was a bad idea," said Superintendent Brian Monahan of the North Rockland School District in New York City's northern suburbs.

I'd say if a student was upset, the lesson was a success. :thumbs:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
When I teach my Holocaust unit I divide my students by eye color first then by other characteristics (age, hair color, height, etc.). They then have to make "choices" given to Judenrat members during WWII.

It's an emotional lesson and they are well prepared in advance, but they all learn from it. When I do evaluations at the end of the year, many say that is the lesson that really "did it" for them.

However, this teacher should have never used duct tape to bind students. That's just crossing too many legal lines and shows poor judgment, IMHO.

Agreed. Completely out of line :angry:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Agreed. He should have used rope.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

:bonk:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

I'm still having a problem with this, and think the only way I can fully understand it is if you and others who support the teacher, stop by my place,

and allow me to tie you up with rope...just for a little while. I think it will be mutually educational for all.

First 5 that sign up will get free airfare....I've got over 100K frequent flyer miles and it's just that easy.

I'm sure it will be an experiment none of you will ever forget.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: Timeline

:rofl:

I'm still having a problem with this, and think the only way I can fully understand it is if you and others who support the teacher, stop by my place,

and allow me to tie you up with rope...just for a little while. I think it will be mutually educational for all.

First 5 that sign up will get free airfare....I've got over 100K frequent flyer miles and it's just that easy.

Can I tie you up too? We might have a deal then.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm not supporting the teacher. I support teaching in a way that really expresses the meaning of the lesson to students. There were a thousand better ways this teacher could have taught the lesson. Instead she took what could have been a fabulous teaching moment and has turned it and her teaching methods, and therefore her effectiveness, into #######.

In theory, probably a great idea. In reality, not so much.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi