trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

By the way, I wasn't aware of this but you have to pay a fee when we go for my wife's interview? What does it cost? Can or American, and can you pay credit card or debit card or does it have to be check or cash?

And another question,

So when my wife is in her interview, do they do checks on me? If so, my question is then, does their system tap into the Canadian system and see I have a visitor record?

I-130 Received: 5-11-2009

I-130 Approved: 8-28-2009

Checklist on my DS230 and 864; Called, under review for checklist corrections (small delay) - Oct and Nov

Case Complete: 12/11/09

Received Interview Date: 1/22/10

Medial: 2/22/10: passed

Interview: 3/3/10: APPROVED! WHOO-HOOO

POE: 3/6/10: yeah!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No you don't have to pay a fee, your fees are paid to NVC in advance. I don't know if they know you have a visitor's record or not - I would doubt it but can't be sure.

Timeline

Just bumping up this information

Udate: Two more denials at Montreal for proof of domicile, one approval (after initial denial).

Avery was approved, after her Husband moved back to the U.S. - thread here.

shaloma john Thread is here

neela828 Thread is here

Successful interview for Limbosage, the link below is his post detailing what he provided at the interview to prove reestablishing domicile. His wife (U.S. citizen) has been living in Canada since 2006.

That thread is here

jonesg111 Denied June 18th and again November 24th/2009, those threads are here and here (information from the 4th recent denial can be found in the second thread here, postings by nana1111).

Lenie7 denied in November 2009 - that thread is here

Brocku00 Denied in August 2009 - thread here

Simstar successfully proved reestablishing domicile at her interview in October - thread here

A VJ member who successfully proved reestablishing domicile at their interview - kemijo

kemijo's interview review

Avery had her interview October 13th and was sent away to produce more evidence of reestablishing domicile. That thread can be found here.

Other Canadian VJ members that have been asked to produce more evidence of reestablishing domicile:

Shiri

Wowswift

kristinelder

jonesg111

ink

Also a couple of other threads in the Canada forum regarding domicile:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208699

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212678

Timeline

Update: Rod James was approved and his wife successfully proved reestablishing domicile review. The key piece of proof seems to be that Rod and his wife had sold their house in Canada. Rod's detailed original post regarding domicile is here

Udate: Two more denials at Montreal for proof of domicile, one approval (after initial denial).

Avery was approved, after her Husband moved back to the U.S. - thread here.

shaloma john Thread is here

neela828 Thread is here

Successful interview for Limbosage, the link below is his post detailing what he provided at the interview to prove reestablishing domicile. His wife (U.S. citizen) has been living in Canada since 2006.

That thread is here

jonesg111 Denied June 18th and again November 24th/2009, those threads are here and here (information from the 4th recent denial can be found in the second thread here, postings by nana1111).

Lenie7 denied in November 2009 - that thread is here

Brocku00 Denied in August 2009 - thread here

Simstar successfully proved reestablishing domicile at her interview in October - thread here

A VJ member who successfully proved reestablishing domicile at their interview - kemijo

kemijo's interview review

Avery had her interview October 13th and was sent away to produce more evidence of reestablishing domicile. That thread can be found here.

Other Canadian VJ members that have been asked to produce more evidence of reestablishing domicile:

Shiri

Wowswift

kristinelder

jonesg111

ink

Also a couple of other threads in the Canada forum regarding domicile:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208699

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212678

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey trailmix ... rather than making a separate topic, I'm wondering if you can think of any cases where someone was asked for proof of domicile from the Vancouver consulate? I've read through most of the topics you posted but they all seem to be from Montreal.

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Timeline
I've never heard of a case of domicile being required at the Vancouver consulate mostly because K1/K3's go through there.

We have applied for a K-1 and my fiance has been living in Edmonton since last January. We will be as prepared as possible in case they do request evidence of domicile ... I would just love to hear if anyone has been in the same situation as we are.

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

Timeline
We have applied for a K-1 and my fiance has been living in Edmonton since last January. We will be as prepared as possible in case they do request evidence of domicile ... I would just love to hear if anyone has been in the same situation as we are.

Interesting scenario - no, I have never heard of this out of Vancouver. The domicile issue applies to the I-864, I don't know if it applies to the I-134. Since the I-134 is not legally binding and if the persons involved did not enter the U.S. and get married within 90 days the visa would be voided, I would be surprised if it is an issue (but - I don't know this for sure).

Timeline
Interesting scenario - no, I have never heard of this out of Vancouver. The domicile issue applies to the I-864, I don't know if it applies to the I-134. Since the I-134 is not legally binding and if the persons involved did not enter the U.S. and get married within 90 days the visa would be voided, I would be surprised if it is an issue (but - I don't know this for sure).

Well, like I said, we will be prepared regardless. I will definitely make sure to post a review of my interview in this thread so we know for sure, in case anyone else is in our situation :)

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

ok so my wife and i sent packet 3 back in mid august to montreal so we are just waiting for our interview letter. I see that proving domicile is getting more specific in what you need. My question is my wife's PR card expires in Feb. now is it a good idea to let it expire and then renew it from the States if thats possible or should we just go ahead and renew it here? also thanks for this thread as its becoming very informative as to what i need to show them when my turn comes.

now if at the interview they see that her PR card is expired would that help any or not really make a difference? Do they look at her PR card and assume why does she have one if she will be living in the US. right now all i have is a rental agreement from her aunt, bank statements from account in Ohio and a upack estimate but hopefully once my wife moves i'll have some paystubs from her and told her to visit a doctor and get some sort of commitment that thats her family doctor and maybe renew her State ID. Just want to make sure i got everything i need so that i am not rejected on the first try.

Well i guess coming back isn't a big deal since she can use her american passport to cross and jsut drop off her old card and pick up the new one.

Edited by chochamu

Timeline
now if at the interview they see that her PR card is expired would that help any or not really make a difference? Do they look at her PR card and assume why does she have one if she will be living in the US. right now all i have is a rental agreement from her aunt, bank statements from account in Ohio and a upack estimate but hopefully once my wife moves i'll have some paystubs from her and told her to visit a doctor and get some sort of commitment that thats her family doctor and maybe renew her State ID. Just want to make sure i got everything i need so that i am not rejected on the first try.

Well i guess coming back isn't a big deal since she can use her american passport to cross and jsut drop off her old card and pick up the new one.

Is your wife moving back before your interview?

Timeline

Hi,

Ok, yes, it sounded like, from your post, she was moving back first. It's up to you two whether she does or doesn't, you can try to prove reestablishing domicile from Canada, as you have probably read in this thread (first page of this thread).

Anyway, as you mentioned, if she does move back first, she needs to prove she is domiciled there, the Canadian PR card should not be an issue. All of the things you mentioned are good, she should also register to vote.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.