jonesg111

Did interview yesterday and denied!

62 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So here is the short version since I have to get back to work. We went to the consulate, followed all the tips by getting there early etc.

After going through all the paperwork and fingerprints we got called into the little office where you do the swearing with the immigration official. He asks us a bunch of questions and then says "Yea, it all looks pretty good, you'll just have one little hurdle yet to climb"

He says that he needs more proof of domicile!! He wants utility bills, mortgage, etc to prove that we intend to move. What kind of nonsense is that?! I mean would we be going through all this hassle and money just to say.... uuuhhh yea we're not moving?!

Anyway, I'm not terribly concerned since I plan on getting a letter from my in-laws written up like a rental agreement and then someone who owns a company will write an employment offer letter to my wife who is the USC.

The guy at the window was really asking for things that we would not have had even if my wife had been living in the US. She has lived with her parents prior to getting married to me and moving to Canada, so she had no mortgage or utility bills.

Personally I think he is just being a "pencil-pusher" and making himself feel important.

Has anyone else ran into this at the interview? I know that we sent in all the paperwork during the application to prove domicile, bank accounts, car registration, insurance, but apparently thats not good enough since my wife has been "visiting" me for too long.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Hi Jones,

Sorry to hear the interview didn't go that well.

wowswift also encountered the same thing when he went for his interview like last month.

I can understand your anger, but I believe it is more than then interviewer wanting to feel important. Proving domicile is one of the important steps in the U.S. immigration process when applying from another country - so really they have to ensure they have all that information.

One thing to keep in mind - you are not really trying to prove that your wife has 'domicile' there now - I mean she is not living there - you are trying to prove that she 'intends to reestablish domicile no later than the intending immigrant'.

Anyway, i'm sure it will be easy for you to get some proof together and maybe this thread will help as well:

Proving domicle when not living in the U.S., Even if you have never lived in the U.S.

I'm very very sorry to hear that, my wife was also denied at the interview and it completely caught me off guard. Your best bet is to just send over the evidence and as long as you bit your tongue and didn't make any type of a scene or get on their bad side, you should get the approval within a few weeks. Good luck to ya!!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

OH my goodness!!! I hope I don't have to worry about this??

I am so sorry to hear about your delay.

Janet

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Timeline

Yea, thats the weird part about it all. We put all that information in the initial application. We showed that she had bank accounts, credit cards, vehicle registration and insurance all still there.

Oh well, we'll just put together some more papers for them to look at I guess and hope that satisfies them.

The other part that doesn't make sense is that he said "Your wife will just have to move back to the US and establish domicile and then send in those papers. Just read this paper (about establishing domicile) and you'll be ok."

Well in those papers it specifically says that you dont have to have domicile but that you will in good faith reestablish it no later then the intending immigrant. So not to repeat myself too much, but that is exactly what we did during the application with all that paper work and then a letter that was signed saying those exact words.

As much as I sound ticked off I'm really not, it just seems like I went all that way and then didn't accomplish anything. The good part is that we don't have to go back again. just send in some papers and then they'll mail everything back.

We didn't make any kind of scene or yell at anyone, just said thanks and went our way. It was my wife that wanted to pop off and let him know what she really thought :devil:

Yea, thats the weird part about it all. We put all that information in the initial application. We showed that she had bank accounts, credit cards, vehicle registration and insurance all still there.

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about this! My husband's interview was today for our DCF so we are obviously both living in Canada, but we were approved. From what it sounds like we had only two things you didn't: a letter from my employer acknowledging my upcoming move to the US, and a letter from my parents stating that we were moving in with them and stipulating a monthly rent. Hopefully you can just get something to say you have an actual residence lined up and then you will be ok. Good luck!

Elly

Timeline
i caused a scene, but that's cuz im a psycho american chick who was ready to gtfo of canada. :D

Did causing a scene help? If it did I would love to learn exactly what you did so that I can do the same! :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
i caused a scene, but that's cuz im a psycho american chick who was ready to gtfo of canada. :D

Did causing a scene help? If it did I would love to learn exactly what you did so that I can do the same! :dance:

lol no, I don't think so cuz i wouldn't have had to send anything back lol, but I just faxed in what she was asking and it was approved after that. i was crying and saying why would i even petition for my husband if we didn't want to leave. told her i refuse to leave with out him, and all this ####### lol. i said how ridiculous it is to ask for a lease with my mother. i like you had all the goodies, bank account, proof of voting, etc. which she wouldn't look at so i just sent that in with the lease with my mom, some car insurance, and some other things i could do. i guess i could've brought a moving quote or something, but we did it ourselves anyways and didn't reserve a u-haul till we actually had his passport back.

Edited by wowswift

after reading this thread it got me thinking too; my boo's in Okinawa, well he's stationed there until 2012; he doesnt have a house coz he has been in the military, and mostly depeloyed but he owns a car, his savings and all are in US but i just got worried for some reason even though i know it can be considered as US territory since he's stationed there;

but yeah, should i prepare something just in case?

tnx guys ;)

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Timeline
OH my goodness!!! I hope I don't have to worry about this??

I am so sorry to hear about your delay.

Janet

Hi Janet,

You live in the U.S. right, or your SO does? So it's not an issue.

after reading this thread it got me thinking too; my boo's in Okinawa, well he's stationed there until 2012; he doesnt have a house coz he has been in the military, and mostly depeloyed but he owns a car, his savings and all are in US but i just got worried for some reason even though i know it can be considered as US territory since he's stationed there;

but yeah, should i prepare something just in case?

tnx guys ;)

Hi Odessa,

I am sure they are not going to question your Husband's domicile, since he is in the military.

Timeline

lol no, I don't think so cuz i wouldn't have had to send anything back lol, but I just faxed in what she was asking and it was approved after that. i was crying and saying why would i even petition for my husband if we didn't want to leave. told her i refuse to leave with out him, and all this ####### lol. i said how ridiculous it is to ask for a lease with my mother. i like you had all the goodies, bank account, proof of voting, etc. which she wouldn't look at so i just sent that in with the lease with my mom, some car insurance, and some other things i could do. i guess i could've brought a moving quote or something, but we did it ourselves anyways and didn't reserve a u-haul till we actually had his passport back.

So you faxed that stuff in? I thought it had to be mailed, plus they want my passport back for that as well.

So all these responses seem to validate my idea that he's just being a jerk. Seriously why would anyone go through all this hassle just to say that they're not moving. And then they basically ask for the same information that they have already been sent, why not say specifically what they're looking for to begin with!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.