CasandraYounes

Calling spouse

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, I am sure most of you will agree with me when I saw that I am completely frustrated in trying to find a cheaper way to contact my husband.

Cell phone international rates completely suck. I learned that the hard way. Phone cards take up too much money. I have tried resorting to Skype and Yahoo Call Out, but I still feel like money is getting deducted from my account even if the calls do not connect.

I would love to talk to my husband as much as I like. He does not have a PC at home; therefore, I call his cell phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions because I am at a complete lost and holt.

Casandra and Aziz's Timeline
03/26/07 - Received my first call from Aziz
07/21/07 - 1st trip
12/14/07 - 2nd visit to Morocco
05/20/08 - 3rd visit to Morocco
07/10/08 - Married in Morocco
02/15/09 - 4th trip to Morocco

05/12/12 - 1st trip to Morocco together

CR1 Visa Journey
10/06/08 - Sent I-130 Packet
10/09/08 - Received NOA1
04/24/09 - Approval Notice Sent for I-130
07/13/09 - Informed by NVC Casa consulate busy***wait for September interview
07/27/09 - Received appointment letter from NVC WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/14/09 - CR1 interview in Casa @ 8:00 am ******APPROVED******
09/15/09 - Visa in Hand
11/07/09 - Travel to US
11/27/09 - Received greencard
ROC
10/21/11 - Sent I-751 package
10/24/11 - USCIS receives the package
10/31/11 - NOA1 received
11/18/11 - Biometrics Interview in JAX
06/27/12 - Approval Notice sent

N-400

09/21/13 - Application filed

09/26/13 - NOA received

10/24/13 - Biometics apt

12/12/13 - Interview date

01/01/14 - Approval notice sent

03/27/14 - Oath ceremony

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Ok, I am sure most of you will agree with me when I saw that I am completely frustrated in trying to find a cheaper way to contact my husband.

Cell phone international rates completely suck. I learned that the hard way. Phone cards take up too much money. I have tried resorting to Skype and Yahoo Call Out, but I still feel like money is getting deducted from my account even if the calls do not connect.

I would love to talk to my husband as much as I like. He does not have a PC at home; therefore, I call his cell phone.

For me this is not an excuse that he does have a PC at home. I am sure he has texting capabilities to send you a message what time he can talk to you, then he can go to a Internet cafe shop. Or even sending email to you to let you when he will be online or ask you what is the good time for both of you to chat using Yahoo webcam and talk online via pc, and you dont have to spend anything. Everything is possible now a days, I dont see any reason why people can still make excuses.

For once he is the guy, he should contact you more and check how things are and how are you doing. Not you trying to find all the means to call him.. Later on, you will realize how much money you spent by just calling him.

Limit the time calling him, to make him understand how hard for you to communicate with him..

Listen to your intuition, I can see the red flag in here but I dont want to judge anything as I dont even know the whole story.

I apologize just being honest, I can see myself in you from the past.

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: Timeline

That is soo frustrating! I am sorry wish I could help but Abdou and I mostly text each other by cell phone and our whole relationship communication is THANK YOU MSN Live!!!!" we talk for at least 1 hour each night on there. I also use a calling card from my business and cell but really don't call him unless I have to tell him I will be late to my computer. I know it is so frustrating. But after like 6-8 mos you get used to it all :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wouldn't say it's a red flag just because of that.

Calling Morocco is one of the most expensive rates. I'm not sure why. More than other MENA countries, I've noticed. I have the same problem and mainly because my fiance does have a pc but really doesn't like sitting on his butt all day to talk to me on it. He has a job, he's busy. Just because my job allows me to be at a computer most of the time, not everyone can be tied to a PC all the time.

I don't know about yahoo, but skype shouldn't charge just for connecting. It's been the cheapest way for me to call (and that's not even all that cheap). The cheapest has been when he calls me on skype, but again he has to be at a PC, but, he calls my skype account, and I'm never on, so it forwards to my cell phone. Then I pay for the call, but it's only 3 cents a minute. You can forward you skype account to your home or cell phone number. But again, that method requires he be at a PC.

Otherwise, you get used to your cell phone bill tripling more than it used to be and jump up and down when it makes it under $200 each month :wacko:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

my husband and i take turns calling eachother he one day me the other then he gets to a cyber 3 times a week so we can see eachother. I know it's not easy or cheap but he doesn't make a lot of money and what he does have he spends it talking to me and eating. I do wish he would text me more though he wouldn't need to call as long I think it would save him money. But he likes to hear my voice texting isn't is "thing".... no red flags that i can see.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Which calling cards are you using? I go to nobelcom.com and buy my cards online. Have you shopped around for different rates? Not all calling cards charge the same.

Oh, actually, have you tried the one price international calling? Here, we have a thing that you can call a country, unlimited, for $19.99 per month extra added to your home phone bill.

Which calling cards are you using? I go to nobelcom.com and buy my cards online. Have you shopped around for different rates? Not all calling cards charge the same.

Oh, actually, have you tried the one price international calling? Here, we have a thing that you can call a country, unlimited, for $19.99 per month extra added to your home phone bill.

your spouse doesnt live in mena.. they live in holland so its super cheap to call him for you// our spouses live in mena countries so its like 20 cents a minute at the cheapest ( sometimes 15 cents)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

cheapest for me to Morocco is 29 cents a min and that's through skype. And Morocco is not included in any international plans I've investigated (Skype, yahoo, AT&T, etc)

Someone on here mentioned awhile back that she used http://www.nobelcom.com/ (and it's the Hello Morocco card) to buy a calling card to call Morocco and it seemed like the cheapest of the ones out there. I have no first hand experience with it though. But you might want to check that one out.

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I never used a calling card. He never called me nor did I ever call him on the telephone! We used yahoo voice, msn voice and skype voice chat. If his computer at home was having probs, then he just went to a net cafe. I just refused to pay so much money for calls when we could just set up a time to talk. I had ask him also not to spend the money for calling cards. We did this for 4 yrs!

In rare occasions if there was something that I just had to tell him or he had to tell me, then we would text msg.

One more thing....during our visa interview our phone chats were never brought up by the CO. We submitted emails instead. There was never a problem!

Perhaps this isn't for everyone, but it worked for us!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

your spouse doesnt live in mena.. they live in holland so its super cheap to call him for you// our spouses live in mena countries so its like 20 cents a minute at the cheapest ( sometimes 15 cents)

I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about her options for cheaper calling.

To the OP try calling the local phone company and ask them if they have one price international calling from home.

Here, Time Warner digital phone service has unlimited international for only $19.99 per month.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

just wondering - has anyone thought about using the AT&T USADirect® Access Number for them to dial back to the states on? while i don't know how much it would cost for you to have your own 1-800 number for them to then dial after they have reached the states, i know that using the direct access number works - had to call my bank using their 1-800 number after getting back to the states.

another idea - use a calling plan like mobilecaller, they can call back on the usa direct number, then dial the mobile caller 1-800 number, and then it will connect to you.

no idea if this will affect the calling number in regards to minutes or anything.

the direct access number for morocco is 00-211-0011

to find others: http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/access_numbers/index.jsp

this btw is very good to know prior to going anywhere overseas - knowing the access number of the country you are in could be handy.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I have a $9.99 Virgin Mobile phone. I call Jordan for .10 a minute, no calling cards. I just direct dial. Of course I don't get hour long marathons, we use the computer for that. But just for a 'goodnight, or I love you'... .10 a min is just perfect.

jJ

Check the rates on www.alosmart.com

That's what we used and I think they were about the cheapest rates for an online calling card that I have found. But we did the same as others, talking online as much as possible, sms, and calling cards a few times a week. If you buy one of the alosmart cards it's around 2 hours for $10 maybe more or less depending on the country and mobile vs. landline and you can divide that up - 30 minutes 4 days a week and it's a 10 a week expense. It can still get really costly and I hope that others have some suggestions for you since you are dealing with the lack of PC as an issue. Is it possible for him to go to a cyber cafe once or twice a week or to a friend's home that has a pc to talk online for an hour or two? Then you could possibly talk with webcam and it feels a little bit better than just the telephone. And like I've said before alosmart.com lets you print out a 6 month history and it can make good supporting evidence during your interview to track the cards you've bought and money that's been spent on communication.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I have used nobelcom.com also. Its one of the cheapest I have found and calling Lebanon was more than calling Morocco (i have friends in Morcco)

Hopefully he will be here soon and you wont have to worry about this.

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ K-1¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 07/05/06 - Met Hayz online by accident

~ 03/30/08 - Packet sent to VSC

~ 04/22/08 - NOA1 issued - Yeah they took it this time

~ 05/22/08 - Touch

~ 07/25/08 - Touch (showed about 1pm on the USCIS site)

~ 07/25/08 - NOA2 sent (must have been later in the day - noticed it on 7/26)

~ 09/10/08 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED ! ! ! !

~ 09/12/08 - VISA RECEIVED

~ 10/17/08 - Arrival in the USA (JFK POE)

~ 10/31/08 - MARRIED! ! !

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ AOS¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 03/26/09 - Sent AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

~ 03/27/09 - AOS packet signed for by V BUSTAMANTE

~ 04/02/09 - NOA for AOS/ EAD / Travel Doc

~ 04/03/09 - Check cashed

~ 04/25/09 - Biometrics

~ 04/20/09 - Transferred to CSC

~ 04/25/09 - Transfer notice received in the mail

~ 04/27/09 - Arrived at CSC

~ 05/09/09 - Employment Auth / Travel Document Approved

~ 05/12/09 - AP approved - without an interview

~ 05/23/09 - Welcome letter received

~ 06/05/09 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED! ! !

~ 09/11/11 - DIVORCE - DIVORCE - DIVORCE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Check the rates on www.alosmart.com

That's what we used and I think they were about the cheapest rates for an online calling card that I have found. But we did the same as others, talking online as much as possible, sms, and calling cards a few times a week. If you buy one of the alosmart cards it's around 2 hours for $10 maybe more or less depending on the country and mobile vs. landline and you can divide that up - 30 minutes 4 days a week and it's a 10 a week expense. It can still get really costly and I hope that others have some suggestions for you since you are dealing with the lack of PC as an issue. Is it possible for him to go to a cyber cafe once or twice a week or to a friend's home that has a pc to talk online for an hour or two? Then you could possibly talk with webcam and it feels a little bit better than just the telephone. And like I've said before alosmart.com lets you print out a 6 month history and it can make good supporting evidence during your interview to track the cards you've bought and money that's been spent on communication.

uniontelecard.com

Jordan - 4.3 cents per

Morocco - 14.7 - 17.2 cents per

Does anyone know if magicjack (or other similar VOIP device) that has a US telephone number plugged into a highspeed internet connection in a foreign country will work?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.