Martiniolive

New immigration law!!!!!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

this pretty much verifies what I am saying I think. Is this a new

rule as of julyish or has it been in effect along time?

I found this:

Who Can Influence The Consular Officer To Reverse A Decision?

Immigration law delegates the responsibility for issuance or refusal of visas to consular officers overseas. They have the final say on all visa cases. By regulation the U.S. Department of State has authority to review consular decisions, but this authority is limited to the interpretation of law, as contrasted to determinations of facts. The question at issue in such denials, whether an applicant possesses the required residence abroad, is a factual one. Therefore, it falls exclusively within the authority of consular officers to resolve. An applicant can influence the change of a prior visa denial only through the presentation of new convincing evidence of strong ties.

nita

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

humm maybe you should look for a lawyer!!! I will see if anyone knows a good lawyer in the SF area

Nita

I dont think this is a law, I just found it in a site called findlaw.com

this is what I found interesting An applicant can influence the change of a prior visa denial only through the presentation of new convincing evidence of strong ties.

I found this:

Immigration law delegates the responsibility for issuance or refusal of visas to consular officers overseas. They have the final say on all visa cases. By regulation the U.S. Department of State has authority to review consular decisions, but this authority is limited to the interpretation of law, as contrasted to determinations of facts. The question at issue in such denials, whether an applicant possesses the required residence abroad, is a factual one. Therefore, it falls exclusively within the authority of consular officers to resolve. An applicant can influence the change of a prior visa denial only through the presentation of new convincing evidence of strong ties.

nita

Edited by Nita&Assaad

596696z2ypf41694.gif

I - 130

3.26.08 - NOA2 - APPROVAL IN 493 DAYS!!

NVC

7.22.08 - CASE COMPLETED IN 90 DAYS - THANK GOD!!

Embassy

9.29.08-Interview - AP (2 weeks)

10.15.08 - AP over :) Embassy called hubby to go get his Visa - HAPPIEST DAY!!!

10.20.08 - Visa Issued

11.25.08 - POE (JFK then SFO)

11.26.08 - Visa Journey is Over!! TOOK 737 DAYS....Habibi is Home!! :) :)

USA

11.25.08 - POE

12.10.08 - Applied for SS Card

12.15.08 - Welcome Letter Received

12.17.08 - SS Card Received

12.26.08 - Green Card Received :)

Begin Naturalization process 2011 ~ Inshallah

mybanner493ead35e2041shfr8.th.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sorry, I am going to jump in on this one. I have not been around for some time. While I am not an immigration attorney, I have spent nearly 3 years of my husband’s 4 year immigration process researching this along with several other members of VJ and other immigration web sites. While some of the processes may have changed at the service center level, the guidelines and laws surrounding it have not.

There is no new immigration law that has passed where a 221g refusal is given that it is considered "denied" and no NOIR/NOID is provided to the petitioner. This would be in direct conflict with the current INA, 8 CFR, and specifically the 9 FAM guidelines regarding petition revocations. Even if a bill has been introduced, this does not mean it has passed congress and been signed by the president…only after all of that can it officially be “law.”

If were you I would be asking for specific proof of this from my rep, because there is nothing published on either the Department of State or USCIS web sites...and they do publish them. My best guess is this rep did not want to help and this is their way to try and head you off at the pass, shame on them for this.

Everything published to this date is still active on the Department of State website in regards to petition revocation, there have been no new actual laws passed regarding this part of the process:

Guidance on Petition Revocation:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_1415.html

Returning Petitions to DHS/BHS:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_1388.html

While immigration itself is a privilege, rebutting a denial or intent to deny is a right the petitioner has in most cases. We do have the right to a timely decision, period...and there are processes in place for this. The USCIS is the only government entity who has the authority to notify a petitioner whether they have the right to rebut with a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) or Notice of Intent to Revoke (NOIR) which they provide specific timeframes for the petitioner to do so. The Department of State does not have this right.

One thing to remember here is the consulate (Department of State) can only refuse to issue a visa on a visa application, they cannot and do not have the authority to outright deny a visa petition...this is why the process is in place for visa application refusals to be returned to the original USCIS service center so the petition can be reviewed along with the visa application and any possible evidence the consulate may have found during the interview process. Now...consulates are "not supposed to" return petitions to the USCIS based on mere suspicion or as a substitute for making a final decision at post, they are "supposed to" provide factual and concrete reasons for revocation...however, some high fraud posts do over abuse this process in lieu of issuing a visa where they may have doubt of something encountered something the USCIS may have overlooked, or in either the visa application, or during the interview itself.

My best advice for you in to try and stay focused on the facts, try not to listen to anyone who says “there are new laws around this” who cannot provide proof, they are only wasting your rime and precious energy…you do have rights. Research what you can by reading the entry pinned at the top of the MENA forum, there is a lot of good information there that has been personally researched by me and many other members who have also been through this issue. Talk to Chi, and those of us who have personally been through this and are now reunited with our spouses. Know this…you are not alone, you can get through this, and you DO have rights.

I know I am not around a lot, but ping me on VJ and I will give you an email address you can use to contact me directly. I see you have been chatting with Chi…this is good, I am sure she has provided you with the first initial steps you need to try and stop the petition from being returned…and if it is, what steps you need to take from there.

Hang in there.

(F)~Kiyah~(F)

~ Returns & Refusals...What They Don't Tell You ~

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

~ Faith, Patience, Perseverance ~

Timeline

...also, I do know of a good immigration attorney who is familiar with the denial/revocation process and can provide his information to you. Ping me when you get a chance as I cannot post it here. :)

(F)~Kiyah~(F)

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

Timeline

Filed: Timeline

yes that is what I have been told by so many on these forums so our families and freinds are pouring out thye most beloved letters in a plea for us but congressmans office UHG!!!!!! (woolsey) says that will make no difference....heartless @#$%^!!!! sorry :(

humm maybe you should look for a lawyer!!! I will see if anyone knows a good lawyer in the SF area

Nita

this is what I found interesting An applicant can influence the change of a prior visa denial only through the presentation of new convincing evidence of strong ties.

I found this:

nita

Well, when it is a visa for family member especially spouse from what I understand it can not be denied it is an automatic visa, besides RFE if ever needed which it can only prolong the process but not deny it for good. No way, I do not believe this. It is like telling you can’t get married. There are laws we have rights as USC.

Unless, a crimal record is held, but i also know of a situation which they/someone held a criminal record a bad one, it just took forever to get him here.

I need to google this.....

Unfortunately, we're living proof that a spouse visa can most definitely be denied for life without a criminal record, and with no immigration violations committed as an adult. 221 denials are also possible as many on here know, but if the INA were reformed to eliminate the possibility to try again, there would be a LOT of uproar.

Meanwhile, as someone else mentioned, we currently have an Advisory Opinion being sent to the Dept of State, as the interpretation of the law in our case seems to have gone awry. So even with a lifetime ban and visa denial, there is still room for trying to contest the decision in strange circumstances.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
can it be too new a bill to be on the list? Congressmans office said it is very recent and she did not even have all of the facts accept that it gives the consulate power to make a FINAL decision that is not contestable.

is it possible she does not know what she is speaking about? Because i thought they were supposed to be in the know!

Martini, they are supposed to be in the know - but it's scary how often they aren't! It could be a proposal - but that's a long way from becoming a law (insert the old Schoolhouse rock song here!) There are always proposals that make their way to Congress or the Senate - we rarely hear about many of them, because they are so out in left field.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Nita

I found this:

nita

I believe that presentation of new convincing evidence of strong ties applies to non immigrant visas not immigrant visas i.e. visitor and student visas. An intending immigrant would not need to provide evidence of strong ties to their own country.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I believe that presentation of new convincing evidence of strong ties applies to non immigrant visas not immigrant visas i.e. visitor and student visas. An intending immigrant would not need to provide evidence of strong ties to their own country.

You are absolutely right Dean.

To apply for CR1/IR1 visa is the clear intent for immigration and not need to provide proof of strong to their country. That's why are are processed differently than other visa.

05-26-2008 Marriage

06-23-2008 Leaving my baby

07-29-2008 I-130 to Chicago lock box

07-30-2008 CSC received I-130

08-01-2008 NOA1

08-05-2008 Touched

11-25-2008 NOA2.

NVC journey begins

12-01-2008 NVC received

12-05-2008 NVC sent visa fee

12-23-2008 NVC received visa fee

12-dd-2008 AOS package received

12-dd-2008 AOS package sent to NVC

Filed: Other Timeline

If anyone has access to a good research library database they can look up the publication 'CQ Weekly Reports' - CQ is Congressional Quarterly - unfortunately the library where I work does not get the online version but I will look in the index tomorrow if nobody else finds anything official. Each week it gives bills that were proposed, approved by the Senate or the House, or passed into law. If someone has the online version it would be easy to search under 'Immigration' beginning say in June '08. This publication is much easier to use for the average layman than the Federal Register.

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Seems to me "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Even if there is a simple and easy process to appeal, nobody can claim it will be all that fast. Its takes 10 months just to reach the interview stage. Would it take another 10 months to appeal? I think it might.

How would it be possible for a visa to be denied for no reason? In some countries, there is tension and fighting between ethnic groups. My wife's country is not an exception. If my wife is interviewed by a member of a rival ethnic group it could be denied out of spite in a New York minute.

I was thinking we'd be a heluva lot better off if I could hire an attorney to be present during my wife's consulate interview. Not to coach my wife in any way but to be sure the person doing the interview plays according to Hoyle.

According to the attorney I contacted and attempted to hire, its not possible for an attorney to be present during the interview so I'm searching for another option.

Any ideas?

8/07 Met on myspace.

5/7/08 Married in Indonesia.

6/4/08 Sent I-130

6/11/08 I-130 received by Vermont service Center.

6/11/10 Received NOA from Vermont.

12/17/08 Touched and placed on hold. (Request For Evidence)

1/12/09 mailed requested evidence 2 Vermont

1/28/09 I-130 APPROVED!

2/9/09 AOS bill received and payed on line the same day.

Never received I-864 package (they don't mail them out anymore I had to take it all from NVC website)

2/20/09 completed and mailed DS-3032

((Some time lapsed because of wrong addresses and documents lost in the mail)) ARRRHG! :-(

3/13/09 Return completed I-864.

3/21/09 Received IV Bill.

3/22/09 Paid IV Bill $400.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

USCIS is unnecessary and a complete freaking waste of everybody's time. What did they do other than waste 7 months of our time and take money?-- because I now have to resubmit the exact same damn information(plus some) to NVC. Apparently there is no connection between USCIS and NVC so USCIS cant simply send our documents to NVC. I was happy to get approved by USCIS but now the process starts all over again only with more complications. Maybe someday I can meet these people in person and thank them face to face for f**ing up almost everything so far. Addresses incorrectly copied, email address repeatedly typed in wrong, names misspelled, ECT, ECT, ECT.

Hows about mandatory drug testing for all who are employed at NVC? All in favor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
If anyone has access to a good research library database they can look up the publication 'CQ Weekly Reports' - CQ is Congressional Quarterly - unfortunately the library where I work does not get the online version but I will look in the index tomorrow if nobody else finds anything official. Each week it gives bills that were proposed, approved by the Senate or the House, or passed into law. If someone has the online version it would be easy to search under 'Immigration' beginning say in June '08. This publication is much easier to use for the average layman than the Federal Register.

You might want to check this site. There is some information you can get for free and some you get when you subscribe. There are different subscription options. http://corporate.cq.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=12

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hello everybody;;;

my interview was on January,22nd,2008 and they sent my petition back to USCIS, my petition was received by USCIS on May,28th,2008 and from that date till now we did not receive anything from the USCIS ,my wife called them yesterday and their answer was they will make a progress on the petition after 45 days from yesterday.

Honestly,i have missed the hope to have my petition reapproved and sent back to the embassy.

any advice please'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

My K3 petition was returned back to USCIS on Jan,22nd,2008 and i am still waiting till this moment to hear from the USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.