AstroM33

Getting a California ID/Driver's License

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My wife finally got her employment authorization and advance parole approved. However, for some reason the adjustment of status (I485) has still not been approved. Her I-94 is long ago expired. Is there anyway that I can get her a California ID or driver's license? Or maybe even an Social Security Card.

Any help would really help me out. I want her to have more independence, but it is really hard when I have to drive her around everywhere or she has to take the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
Hi everyone,

My wife finally got her employment authorization and advance parole approved. However, for some reason the adjustment of status (I485) has still not been approved. Her I-94 is long ago expired. Is there anyway that I can get her a California ID or driver's license? Or maybe even an Social Security Card.

Any help would really help me out. I want her to have more independence, but it is really hard when I have to drive her around everywhere or she has to take the bus.

go to the social security office where you live. talk to them and they will tell you the papers you need to get her a SSN.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

I-129F Sent : June 01 2008

NOA1 Received June 21 2008

"Touch" July 8 2008

''Touch'' July 9 2008

NOA2 JULY 28 2008!!!!!

''Touch'' July 29 2008

" The touch for July 29 was USCIS mailing the case to NVC"

"August 8 2008 received letter in mail from NVC...case was mailed to Tokyo..should arrive in a week"

" August 13 2008 Finace Received packet in mail from Tokyo"

''August 21 she started the Police report''

''August 25 she received email from consulate confirming the interview date''

''August 28 she received Police report''

''She will complete medical mid September''

'' medical finished $430.00''

''Interview is at the end of September''

''Interview yesterday October 29 ( for Japan ) They asked many questions but everything went well! visa arrives in 5 days!!!!!"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi, make an appiontment to teh nearest DMV, take your wife and take all her document, actually you need to apply for scial security number first and then when you got the number you can apply for california id or driver licence.

make sure to present her passport and EAD card cause those 2 thing will make her legal to apply for ssn and id.

"An unexamined life is not worth living." -- Socrates

Timeline

Thank you very much everyone. I was looking for a similar topic, but I wanted a California-specific answer. Hopefully this won't drag on for too long. I am kinda getting nervous as to her AOS not being approved but everything else was.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thank you very much everyone. I was looking for a similar topic, but I wanted a California-specific answer. Hopefully this won't drag on for too long. I am kinda getting nervous as to her AOS not being approved but everything else was.

Hi when I tried to apply for State ID here at SANTA ANA, CA, and my AOS and EAD was still being process at that time and my I-94 was already expired, they don't allow me to apply not until I have a form of approved letter or card from USCIS with expiration date on it, so I asked if I had my EAD Card will that be fine and they said YES. So since you had your EAD card in your hands go ahead and apply first for SSN and then when you had your SSN go to your nearest DMV and apply for state ID and driver's license with your SSN and you're good to go. GOod luck and God bless. :thumbs:

USflag.gifr.gifi.gifc.gifh.gifo.gifphilippine_flag.gif

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

July 21, 2008---(ORIGINAL) NOA1 for AOS & EAD

July 29, 2008---"WALK-IN" BIOMETRICS DONE (AOS & EAD-1)

Oct 14, 2008---EAD1 CARD ARRIVES! Approval date is Oct. 2, 2008

Dec 10, 2008---INTERVIEW DAY! APPROVED!!!

Dec 17, 2008---WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

Jan 9, 2009---CARD RECEIVED FINALLY! Approval date 12-10-08..expires on 12-10-10

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Sept 10,2010---REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

Sept 10,2011---Application for citizenship

.png

I am kinda getting nervous as to her AOS not being approved but everything else was.

Don't worry, this is normal. Everybody's EAD and AP gets approved before the AOS. Those are temporary work and travel documents until they issue the green card which is the permanent work and travel document.

If they approved the AOS at the same time, there would be no need for EAD and AP.

Timeline
I am kinda getting nervous as to her AOS not being approved but everything else was.

Don't worry, this is normal. Everybody's EAD and AP gets approved before the AOS. Those are temporary work and travel documents until they issue the green card which is the permanent work and travel document.

If they approved the AOS at the same time, there would be no need for EAD and AP.

Actually I had read on the "May '08 AOS filers" that most of the K-1 filers had had their AOS approved before or concurrently with their EAD and AP. That, more than anything, is what has me worried. Apparently most K-1 filers get their AOS approved without the need for an interview. I don't mind having to go through an interview, but I would love to avoid it if at all possible.

here's my experience of applying for ssn here in cali..i live here in los angeles and i got my EAD last saturday. i went to social security office last monday and applied for a social security no.. i told the guard that i need to apply for a new ssn and he told me to go to window no. i forgot what no. then there was a monitor giving out instruction saying that if i need to apply for a new SSN press "1" and so on and on. so i pressed "1" then a paper came out. kinda like a receipt printed on it was a number.so, i took a form that i need and started filling it up, I was barely starting to write my name on it and they called my number out and told to go to window no. 3. I told the man on window 3 that I need to apply for a new ssn, and that i just received my EAD. so he took the EAD card and my passport.(i asked him if he needs my marriage certificate cuz my passport was on my maiden name then he replied "NOPE, IT'S OK")I told him that I'm not finish filling out the form,then he took the form from me and put a mark on the ones that I only need to fill out. So he waited for me to finish.then i handed it to him. he typed all my information on his computer and printed it out and asked me to review everything & make sure that all infos are correct then I signed it and gave it back.he then gave me a receipt. then told me to wait for my card in the mail within 2 weeks.

I told him that i need to apply for a cali state I.D and a driver's license. he then told me to call back in 4 days hoping that they will have a number assigned to me already. If they do, then i can go back to their office and get a printed receipt of it so i can show it to the dmv people to get a driver's license asap. so i will call tomorow and hopefully they have it already.

yep that easy. goodluck to you and your wife!!! some social security offices are packed.some r not.i guess it depends which location you will go to. we were out in 10 MINS. :innocent:

TIMELINE

MAY 30, 2008- sent application to USCIS

JUNE 09, 2008- USCIS received application

JUNE 12, 2008- NOA1s received

JUNE 16, 2008- BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT notice received

JULY 03, 2008- BIOMETRICS completed

JULY 07, 2008- TOUCHED!

AUGUST 14, 2008 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

AUGUST 15, 2008 - EAD touched

AUGUST 23, 2008 - received EAD CARD in the mail!!!

AUGUST 25, 2008 - Applied for ssn

SEPTEMBER 02, 2008- received SSN

SEPTEMBER 04, 2008 - passed written test (dmv)

SEPTEMBER 11, 2008 - 1st day @ WORK!!!

OCTOBER 06, 2008 - passed actual driving test =)

OCTOBER 27, 2008 - received NOTICE FOR INITIAL INTERVIEW

NOVEMBER 20, 2008 - I-485 & I-130 TOUCHED!

DECEMBER 03, 2008 - interview. 1030 am LOS ANGELES - IO Said will call by 5 pm if background check is not cleared!!!

DECEMBER 03, 2008 - 5:01 pm IO didnt call my lawyer. so i guess we're approved??? [178TH DAY)

DECEMBER 04, 2008 - I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED" (cris email) [179th DAY]

DECEMBER 05, 2008 - I-130 touched

DECEMBER 10, 2008 - I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED" (2nd cris email)

DECEMBER 12, 2008 - Approval Notice Sent (cris email)

DECEMBER 13, 2008 - Approval Notice & Welcome Letter RECEIVED in the mail (yey!!! WE THANK GOD!!) [188th DAY]

DECEMBER 17, 2008 - GREEN CARD received!!!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

NOVEMBER 12, 2010 - Sent package to CSC.

NOVEMBER 15,,2010- Received NOA1.

I went to the same process.. just provide your EAD and marriage certificate since you have a pending AOS case. SSA will accept your EAD as proof of legal status. You can PM me if you like, I got proof as they even sent me a letter stating that my current status was approved even without AOS...

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Our experience was that we could not get a DL/ state ID until her AOS was processed. We were told it was because Social securities computer checks with immigration, and immigration doesnt process the maiden name, to married name change until AOS is approved. Dmv in CA checks with social security to make sure the name on the eod card and social security offices computer records are the same. maybe your experience will be different. I Hope so :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone,

HOW MANY DAYS GET HER EAD?

Timeline
Hi everyone,

HOW MANY DAYS GET HER EAD?

SHE APPLY THE EAD?SO IN HOW MANY DAYS SHE GET HER EAD SINCE YOU APPLY?COZ I WANT GO WORK WHILE MY CHANGE STATUS PROCESS COZ SO BORED WAITING FOR IF THE EAD TAKES MONTHS..............PLZ REPLY OR SEND A MESSAGE ME IN MY YM...I WANT TO HAVE PINAY FRIEND..THIS IS MY YM.MCJRBS07@YAHOO.COM.IM COME FROM IN PHILIPPINES,CAN I GET A CALIFORNIA ID AND SS#?I ALREADY MARRIED AND I WANT TO GET A ID HERE

Timeline

Actually I had read on the "May '08 AOS filers" that most of the K-1 filers had had their AOS approved before or concurrently with their EAD and AP. That, more than anything, is what has me worried. Apparently most K-1 filers get their AOS approved without the need for an interview. I don't mind having to go through an interview, but I would love to avoid it if at all possible.

I DNT HAVE AOS AND EAD?CAN I APPLY CALIFORNIA ID AND SSN?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ahmed applied for Social Security card within one week of arriving and got the number in one week here in California.

Then, we went to the DMV to take the written test.

He passed and now we are practicing for the driving test on Sept 22nd.

We haven't even applied for AOS, EAD, etc........

At least in California, it has been very easy and smooth.

If you love me, then I have everything I need

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.