christera22

Hubby not coping with US culture !!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I totally understand your husband's situation. I am facing the exactly the same. I got here about two months ago. And now I live with my mother in law and my fiance. Oh my god. it is crazy. I cannot stand it. I speak English, but not perfectly even though I got a degree in the US.

Just being around his family is annoying to me because they are so insensitive to me. My mother in law asks me money which is crazy. I hate it so much and she always complains that she has no money, so we all should keep living together.

I am having a hard time adjusting!

7/19 AOS package has been mailed

7/21 AOS package was arrived in Chicogo.

7/28 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

8/15 Biometric done

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Lots of good advices........... whwre do you suggest we wd find more good people........... we are at Ohio ....... wd NY , Calif and west coast be better towards foreigners than Ohio ?? and how is work place environment ......... are they toleraant towards foreigners ?/

I dnt know how to cope up with his neighbor intermingling concept ........ is that available anywhere in usa ? i dnt think so...

Calfornia, NY, even Atlanta Georgia has alot of Indians, Pakis, etc. Even Houston Texas has alot now.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Dayton is..... well it's not the nicest place to live in the world but I believe that it is what you make of it. I haven't come across many immigrants here, but there does seem to be quite a large (for Ohio) Indian population south of the city.

We go to an Indian supermarket in Centerville, I can't remember what it's called but I will try to find out and let you know. It's on SR725 in the same strip mall as Goodwill and Diamonds the strip club (gotta love Dayton!). Anyways, when we go we're the only non-Indian people there, and they always have fliers and info about events going on for Indians. Might be worth checking out, if just to talk to some other Indians and find out about goings on in the community.

I'll try and think of the name and let you know. There are also a number of Indian restaurants in the area, maybe you guys could go for a meal and he could ask if they know of any Indian meetup groups or events going on.

I understand where he is coming from, it's a big adjustment!

I live in a black area, and it took me a long time to get used to all the stares...they weren't "she's white what's SHE doing here" stares, it was just...well I always tell people it's like when you see a really obese person, your eyes notice it and then you realize it's rude to look and carry on about your business. Peoples eyes will naturally fall on something that stands out.

The first time was when I went to my sister-in-law's fashion show at her school, I was the only light skinned person in the audience and before the lights were switched off for it to begin I felt like I had a neon sign pointing down on me or something! Then even when we went shopping to the bigger malls where there was a more mix of people, as soon as I opened my mouth my accent gave me away.

I enjoy being an individual but when you move somewhere, you just want to mix in and work on trying to settle down. People aren't rude but it makes you feel very vulnerable anyway, even though (for me) British culture is probably as close as to American culture as you can get you would think I would find it easy! So, it must be very frustrating and upsetting for your husband.

It really irks me that I can't walk anywhere either, I lived in Runcorn for a while before moving to the US and loved having the freedom to do all my business with public transport or walking. Even if I could walk all the way to Kroger, my family wouldn't let me because it's not the safest place in the world.

So yeah, many, many changes! I'm assuming he will be learning to drive at some point, I am learning right now (got delayed because of SS number problems, can't get provisional license without one) and it really helps. Lack of independence just makes the whole home sick cycle worse...been here over a year and a half so I'm slower at getting on my feet than a lot of people here, but I feel much better about living here. I'm sure if you go through old pages of this forum, you'll see the same sort of story all over. I think I posted a home-sickness thread when I moved here too.

I hope your husband finds it easier to settle down soon :star:

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I totally understand your husband's situation. I am facing the exactly the same. I got here about two months ago. And now I live with my mother in law and my fiance. Oh my god. it is crazy. I cannot stand it. I speak English, but not perfectly even though I got a degree in the US.

Just being around his family is annoying to me because they are so insensitive to me. My mother in law asks me money which is crazy. I hate it so much and she always complains that she has no money, so we all should keep living together.

I am having a hard time adjusting!

Sorry to hear that. That is strange your mother in law asking you for money. Tell her to ask your spouse. Hope things get better.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Dayton is..... well it's not the nicest place to live in the world but I believe that it is what you make of it. I haven't come across many immigrants here, but there does seem to be quite a large (for Ohio) Indian population south of the city.

We go to an Indian supermarket in Centerville, I can't remember what it's called but I will try to find out and let you know. It's on SR725 in the same strip mall as Goodwill and Diamonds the strip club (gotta love Dayton!). Anyways, when we go we're the only non-Indian people there, and they always have fliers and info about events going on for Indians. Might be worth checking out, if just to talk to some other Indians and find out about goings on in the community.

I'll try and think of the name and let you know. There are also a number of Indian restaurants in the area, maybe you guys could go for a meal and he could ask if they know of any Indian meetup groups or events going on.

I wanted to ask you...have you been to Jungle Jim's yet outside of Cincinatti?

wtf-picard.jpg

Having lived in India myself, I can surely understand his life there and his new transition here.

I, however, live near a big city so the population is very culturally diverse....maybe you live in a smaller area where there are not any indian communities, and that is a shame. Here, we have all these little sub neighborhoods of chinese, indian, i think some arabic communities, etc. I have never sensed that people "treated" indians any differently and quite frankly, why should they?? I mean we are very used to having them here in our country.

In India it is quite different and I can see where people dont take the time to listen and really understand what foreignors are saying. some people you encounter will be very prejudiced and harsh to foreignors but most just accept them and learn to communicate accordingly. It does amaze me how ignorant and narrow minded alot of people can really be. What a unique, colorful and welcoming culture he comes from.... GOOD LUCK TO HIM and like any other transition in life we face, it just takes time. It may be a matter of his confidence but he should be proud to be where he is from.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

so many lovely responses ................. i know dayton is a dying city and we want to move as soon as he gets his ead and starts working.We were doing a research where to move .the site bestplaces is really helping us. Now where are more or less less expensive, populated but safe cities in usa where we can find more indian and asian population.

Heres is a list that the VJers suggested us :

Fremont-CA

Queens-NY

Silicon Valley

Chicago,IL

Atlanta

Houston-TX

I am concerned about the safety in these places and thats why i am asking for your views.Becasue I have heard of harlems & ghetoes in the big cities ..... whats ur views !!!

tHANKS A LOT !!!

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Timeline
so many lovely responses ................. i know dayton is a dying city and we want to move as soon as he gets his ead and starts working.We were doing a research where to move .the site bestplaces is really helping us. Now where are more or less less expensive, populated but safe cities in usa where we can find more indian and asian population.

Heres is a list that the VJers suggested us :

Fremont-CA

Queens-NY

Silicon Valley

Chicago,IL

Atlanta

Houston-TX

I am concerned about the safety in these places and thats why i am asking for your views.Becasue I have heard of harlems & ghetoes in the big cities ..... whats ur views !!!

tHANKS A LOT !!!

I can tell you about Chicago. I live in the neighborhood that is basically the heart of the Indian/Paki community...it's very safe. The cost of living in this area is also cheaper than the rest of the North Side of Chicago. It's also extremely diverse...religiously, ethnically, socio-economically etc. You would have neighbors that are Hispanic, Hasidic Jews, college students, African-American, GLTB and yuppies. Socio-economically the area is very mixed, but there isn't really a bad area per se except near the Howard Red Line stop (which is on the opposite end of the neighborhood). The neighborhood is gradually gentrifying and it seems like instead of a bad area or even a bad block you have a bad building.

More Info on Roger's Park

Devon Avenue is where a lot of Indian businesses are located. There are temples too...one is actually practically in my backyard.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hi all,

I dnt know where to post.My hubby is an Indian and I am an american lady. Now he is facing some problems here and nopt liking here at all. He has not started to work here and thinks that american professional life will be the same.

As you Indians are not as fare as us and thus whereever he goes he faces this problem that people look at him in a strange way. He says he doesnt get any life , welcome or recognition in the way people look at him and he says this is not the case in india . He also misses neighbors and says there are like family there........ as u know we hardly interact with neighbors. Neither can he walk on the roads , and has to travel in my car. So he says he feels highly unfriendly and unsafe here.

He has a british straight accent and thus most people here cannot understand his english in one stance.They have to ask again & again. He doesnt break his words into syllebles and makes them into one sylleble.Thus he is afraid he will also face these unfrieundly, racial stuff on roads, office and problem in communication everywhere and thus it will be very painful for him to live here.

I really dont know what to say here........... we are at dayton,ohio ......we can move to some more friendly places ( though i dnt know where that wd be ! ) but i dnt think that wd change the basic american culture.

What does the VJers say on this ?? any advice !! has anyone faced anything like this ???

I understand a lot of what he's saying.. I'm obviously Irish but.. back home I didn't even have a driving license.. I didn't really need one. We normally had for front door unlocked, people would stop in and say hello and come in have a seat and enjoy the craic. I walked everywhere.. we knew all our neighbours even if we didn't want to :lol: and they knew us. Almost all of the essentials where within walking distance.

It was a big shock for me as well over here, didn't and couldn't really talk to your neighbours, no one walks in this area and having a car is a requirement. I couldn't get a job without making an agreement to get a drivers license even though there was no requirement for me to drive while at work? Luckily being quite pale I didn't stand out in the crowd.. unless I talked :lol: then some people look and are :huh:

It's a big adjustment, time helps make the adjustment. Although I've been here over 2 and a half years and I still have to remind myself that certain things are not done or need to be done e.g. lock doors, your neighbour is not your friend, your boss is not your friend.. don't arrive late! etc.. He can and might in time be able to adjust how he talks so the Americans will better understand him but, I've managed to slowdown while talking but that's about it :lol: I still get people even my wife from time to time that look at me and they have to be thinking.. ####### did you just say :rofl:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Timeline
Hi all,

I dnt know where to post.My hubby is an Indian and I am an american lady. Now he is facing some problems here and nopt liking here at all. He has not started to work here and thinks that american professional life will be the same.

As you Indians are not as fare as us and thus whereever he goes he faces this problem that people look at him in a strange way. He says he doesnt get any life , welcome or recognition in the way people look at him and he says this is not the case in india . He also misses neighbors and says there are like family there........ as u know we hardly interact with neighbors. Neither can he walk on the roads , and has to travel in my car. So he says he feels highly unfriendly and unsafe here.

He has a british straight accent and thus most people here cannot understand his english in one stance.They have to ask again & again. He doesnt break his words into syllebles and makes them into one sylleble.Thus he is afraid he will also face these unfrieundly, racial stuff on roads, office and problem in communication everywhere and thus it will be very painful for him to live here.

I really dont know what to say here........... we are at dayton,ohio ......we can move to some more friendly places ( though i dnt know where that wd be ! ) but i dnt think that wd change the basic american culture.

What does the VJers say on this ?? any advice !! has anyone faced anything like this ???

I understand a lot of what he's saying.. I'm obviously Irish but.. back home I didn't even have a driving license.. I didn't really need one. We normally had for front door unlocked, people would stop in and say hello and come in have a seat and enjoy the craic. I walked everywhere.. we knew all our neighbours even if we didn't want to :lol: and they knew us. Almost all of the essentials where within walking distance.

It was a big shock for me as well over here, didn't and couldn't really talk to your neighbours, no one walks in this area and having a car is a requirement. I couldn't get a job without making an agreement to get a drivers license even though there was no requirement for me to drive while at work? Luckily being quite pale I didn't stand out in the crowd.. unless I talked :lol: then some people look and are :huh:

It's a big adjustment, time helps make the adjustment. Although I've been here over 2 and a half years and I still have to remind myself that certain things are not done or need to be done e.g. lock doors, your neighbour is not your friend, your boss is not your friend.. don't arrive late! etc.. He can and might in time be able to adjust how he talks so the Americans will better understand him but, I've managed to slowdown while talking but that's about it :lol: I still get people even my wife from time to time that look at me and they have to be thinking.. ####### did you just say :rofl:

For what it's worth I've actually had people ask me if I came over from Ireland. Apparently I fit the stereotype pretty well...and a O'___ last name I guess some people just automatically assume. But it is still really weird people say that since I don't think I really sound or come off as being from Eire.

Of course most of my Irish ancestry came over during the famine....so yeah, #######???

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Hi all,

I can understand. I was in the UK for a long time so picked up that accent and felt that people would not be able to understand me.

Adjustment has a lot to do with one's own frame of mind and the urgency, Daniel and I have been married for 5.5 months and he's been away for 2 months already because of his deployment. We knew when I came here that I will get very short adjustment period as far as Daniel being here to help me with it. So we both had to become mentally prepared for it. That helped. I am taking care of the house, bills, dogs and am pregnant myself.

Also, if your hubby is conscious and nervous when he talks to people because of whatever reason, people pick it up and get uncomfortable too. Its a cycle that he will need to break. I just started talking to people randomly at stores, bank, post office and realised that people do not think too much into my color, race, accent as much as we tend to think.

Americans, in general, are a lot easier and friendly people and just a little openness on his part should make things easier for him

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
For what it's worth I've actually had people ask me if I came over from Ireland. Apparently I fit the stereotype pretty well...and a O'___ last name I guess some people just automatically assume. But it is still really weird people say that since I don't think I really sound or come off as being from Eire.

Of course most of my Irish ancestry came over during the famine....so yeah, #######???

I understand, I've had a couple of people ask me if I'm either Scottish (which is very close) or Australian (which isn't quite so close?) :lol: I don't know if I fit a stereotype or not but if you've an authentic name and the blood in ye then you can't deny what you are? :yes:

Now what I've found weird is the few people I've encountered that couldn't believe I was actually Irish as in from Ireland, not some other state or anything :lol:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I wanted to ask you...have you been to Jungle Jim's yet outside of Cincinatti?

Yes, many times :) - got to stock up on marmite, pickle and various Indian/Thai/German foods! I try not to go too often though as I inevitably end up spending way too much $...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.