VictoriaUSA

Marriage may be later than 90 days

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello. My fiance arrived here on May 31st, 2008 and we are required to marry within 90 days; however, I had some medical issues and family issues I needed to take care of so we are now down to the wire with about 10 days before the end of the month. We will apply for the marriage license tomorrow but we would prefer not to do the ceremony until Tuesday, Sept. 2nd.

My question: Can we take an extra few days past the 90 day time limit? It is for a VERY important reason.

المغرب بلد جميل!

أدرس اللغة العربية منذ شهر

LOL!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You cannot wait until September 2nd to get married. The stipulation of the K-1 Visa is that you marry within 90 days of entry into the U.S. If you marry after the 90 days, then you will have to start the whole process over and apply for a spousal visa.

And remember to count 90 days (it's not 3 months, it's actually 90 days from the date of arrival in the U.S.) so that doesn't necessarily mean that if entry date was May 31st, that the final date to be married is August 31st. It could be sooner than that because there are 31 days in a few of the months.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Hello. My fiance arrived here on May 31st, 2008 and we are required to marry within 90 days; however, I had some medical issues and family issues I needed to take care of so we are now down to the wire with about 10 days before the end of the month. We will apply for the marriage license tomorrow but we would prefer not to do the ceremony until Tuesday, Sept. 2nd.

My question: Can we take an extra few days past the 90 day time limit? It is for a VERY important reason.

Your official marriage date absolutely must be within the 90 days limit allowed by a K-1 visa, otherwise you will have to file a I-130 along with the AOS application. You can get married at the court house in front of a judge and without a proper ceremony just to make sure your marriage date (the one appearing on your marriage certificate) is within the 90 days of arrival. (But check with your court house, they might not be able to accommodate you at such short notice, I don't know how long it takes to schedule that with a judge). Then if you want to postpone the ceremony, you can do that, but in that case it will be a ceremony without signing the license, that would have already been done at the court house.

Edited by sweetpiano

10-Apr-08...Filing date for I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

02-May-08...Biometrics

31-Jul-08...EAD Card received

15-Sep-08...Interview (APPROVED)

27-Sep-08...GC received

03-Aug-10...Filed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

06-Aug-10...NOA 1-yr Extension Letter

10-Sep-10...Biometrics

02-Dec-10...ROC approved! (Card production ordered)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You will then be filing an I-130 + $355 FEE along with the I-485 and $1010 to adjust status.

FAQ: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html#6.13

6.13)...What happens if we do not get married within the 90 day validity of the K1 visa?

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Best advice - don't wait - it looks like you're in LA so Las Vegas is close - get there, get it done, have your ceremony (if you plan one) later. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One note: Many who adjust status from the K-Visa get approved without interview, this tends not to be the case for those who adjust status using (I-130+I-485)

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Arizona also has no restrictions on applying for license etc - we got our license on the morning of our legal wedding and it took about half an hour :) The ceremony (if you could call it that) was only ten minutes :) You can have a big ceremony later - renew your vows or have a blessing or something :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You will then be filing an I-130 + $355 FEE along with the I-485 and $1010 to adjust status.

6.13)...What happens if we do not get married within the 90 day validity of the K1 visa?

This is the right answer. You certainly may wait but not without consequence. You'll be filing the I-130 and paying the associated fee in addition to the normal AOS fee. Up to you.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

This is the right answer. You certainly may wait but not without consequence. You'll be filing the I-130 and paying the associated fee in addition to the normal AOS fee. Up to you.

Agreed - THIS is the correct answer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

According to this calculation tool, today is 81 days from May 31, the day your fiance entered the country. You're getting close to the line, but you have a few days.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

you guys need to get married soon and apply for AOS cause time is so important i got here and we waited 2 months to get married and now after 6 months i am still without a job cause i am waiting for my work permit it's so hard and boring doing nothing for 6 months so after you get married and send papers to immigration you will have to wait for 3 or 4 months to get him a work card (EAD) and you imagine...... good luck for you

hi guys;

wow today i received my APPROVAL LETTER FOR THE ADVANCED PAROLE so here we go . i am waiting for my EAD card to arrive it's on the way i hope i will wake up tomorrow and find it in the mail box lol good like guys

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.