franklie

Bar girl and K1

135 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have a nephew who wants to petition his girlfriend from the Philippinnes to the US on a K1 visa. I did a search of the forums to see if this issue had ever been brought up and have found nothing.

The following is the letter that was sent to me by my nephew

Hey Uncle Frank,

As you know I met this wonderful Filipina girl, Marla, 4 months ago. We’re pretty serious about our relationship and would like to get married. Mom said that you were in process to be married to a nice Mexican girl (BTW congrats) and said you were a member of website that was helping you in the process of bringing her to the US and if I had any questions to ask you.

I have a question for you: Marla and I met when she was a bar girl in Cebu. She said that she was doing it to help out her family. She stopped working in the bar a week ago because she felt our relationship was more important. If I want to bring her back to the US and marry her on a K1 visa will her being a bar girl affect the process? My friends say that it shouldn’t be a problem for me because most of the K1 petitions are for former bar girls. What do you think?

I have no experience with the Philippines but I do have experience with Americans trying to bring Mexican fiances to the US. The Mexican bar girls/ prostitutes have to register with the local police and they receive a health card that has to be signed off every month by the health authorities. The American consulate does a check with the local police authorities to see if the woman being petitioned has been or is registered as a prostitute.

Will her being a bar girl/prostitute derail the K1 visa?

Thanks in advance for the help :thumbs:

I would have to agree with some of the posters on this thread. Bar girls ARE nefarious NOT garenteed though of exploitation... Your nephew is taking a very big risk of being used for money, green card anything..... They are not innocent and their minds are programmed to seduce use to get what they need..... The fact in general Bar Girls do not make for good dating material only broken hearts are they good at.... Tell your nephew to take it slow and to be wise. He im sure is very niave and has NO CLUE what he's getting himself into.... Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline
I have a question for you: Marla and I met when she was a bar girl in Cebu. She said that she was doing it to help out her family. She stopped working in the bar a week ago because she felt our relationship was more important. If I want to bring her back to the US and marry her on a K1 visa will her being a bar girl affect the process? My friends say that it shouldn’t be a problem for me because most of the K1 petitions are for former bar girls. What do you think?

:rofl: :rofl: Was your friend referring to the Philippines? Let your friend make a stand on this, did he conduct any research on the statistics on K1 petitions and got into a conclusion as MOST K1 BENEFICIARIES ARE FORMER BAR GIRLS? :lol: OR he could refer us to a reliable source before he can let anyone believe about this information. :innocent::whistle:

I don't think it will affect any process with your fiance' being a former bar girl as long as you could prove a "genuine relationship".

Good luck!

USEmbassy CO will more than likely deny your fiancee visa because of her former work history, period. Bar girl? This topic has emerged from one of VJ filer in Thailand (his fiancee) was denied a visa, on the denied paper, it said case 212(a), meaning she is likely to be discharge or do the same thing in the USA.

This is what I read, and past on to you. I do not know what BAR GIRL do/did, but we sometimes go beyond our imaginations and so US Consular Officer. Tell you nephew to find another girl. Military rule, don't ask don't tell policy might work for his fiancee.

Filed: Timeline
I posted mine already and this is from my hubby's side:

I find the wording of your question Offensive as i am shocked u do not after your nephew just called your fiancee a prostitute though they are people 2 and trying 2 earn a living like everyone else sounds like your nephew has a serious problem to brag 2 all of your friends u r marrying a prostitute does not sound like some one in love though i have no problem with the profession a lot of people do and 2 brag of it 2 all of his friends shows he has little respect 4 his girl and 2 tell everyone else they are marrying a prostitute whether for some it is true or not is offensive my girl had a good office job she did not work at a bar but if she had that would be between us i would beat any friend of mine 2 a pulp for even suggesting it and i am shocked that u did not take your nephew over your knee after he suggested it about your fiancee have u asked her what she thinks about it finally most country's it is legal or tolerated and i have not seen job requirements on any of the forms

Form DS-230 page 3 Question 30 part B -

Question 30 starts as -

United States laws governing the issuance of visas require each applicant to state whether or not he or she is a member of any class of

individuals excluded from admission into the United States. The excludable classes are described below in general terms. You should read

carefully the following list and answer YES or NO to each category. The answers you give will assist the consular officer to reach a decision

on your eligibility to receive a visa.

EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED BY LAW, ALIENS WITHIN THE FOLLOWING CLASSIFICATIONS ARE INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE A VISA.

DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CLASSES APPLY TO YOU?

part b -

An alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, a crime involving moral turpitude or violation of any law relating

to a controlled substance or who is the spouse, son or daughter of such a trafficker who knowingly has benefited from the

trafficking activities in the past five years; who has been convicted of 2 or more offenses for which the aggregate

sentences were 5 years or more; who is coming to the United States to engage in prostitution or commercialized vice or

who has engaged in prostitution or procuring within the past 10 years; who is or has been an illicit trafficker in any

controlled substance; who has committed a serious criminal offense in the United States and who has asserted immunity

from prosecution; who, while serving as a foreign government official, was responsible for or directly carried out particularly

severe violations of religious freedom; or whom the President has identified as a person who plays a significant role in a

severe form of trafficking in persons, who otherwise has knowingly aided, abetted, assisted or colluded with such a

trafficker in severe forms of trafficking in persons, or who is the spouse, son or daughter of such a trafficker who knowingly

has benefited from the trafficking activities within the past five years

The question is if she was engaged in prostitution, then they will have problems with the visa process

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you love her and want to be with this girl, please fight with everything you have to get there.

Sometimes people have to do things just to survive. It's a sad reality.

I wish you only the best.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have a nephew who wants to petition his girlfriend from the Philippinnes to the US on a K1 visa. I did a search of the forums to see if this issue had ever been brought up and have found nothing.

The following is the letter that was sent to me by my nephew

Hey Uncle Frank,

As you know I met this wonderful Filipina girl, Marla, 4 months ago. We’re pretty serious about our relationship and would like to get married. Mom said that you were in process to be married to a nice Mexican girl (BTW congrats) and said you were a member of website that was helping you in the process of bringing her to the US and if I had any questions to ask you.

I have no experience with the Philippines but I do have experience with Americans trying to bring Mexican fiances to the US. The Mexican bar girls/ prostitutes have to register with the local police and they receive a health card that has to be signed off every month by the health authorities. The American consulate does a check with the local police authorities to see if the woman being petitioned has been or is registered as a prostitute.

Will her being a bar girl/prostitute derail the K1 visa?

Thanks in advance for the help :thumbs:

First, your nephew friends are wrong on saying that most of the petitioned woman are former bar girls. I am a K1 beneficiary, not a former bar girl but VERY PROUD to say I AM A DEGREE HOLDER. And I have a SISTER married to an AMERICAN PEACE CORP Volunteer who is a PROFESSIONAL..

Second, being a bar girl doesnt mean BAD GIRL. Because of poverty, girls are forced to work in bar coz they think money is easy especially if they dont have enough education to work in other field. If your nephew loves that Filipina girl and they can prove a GENUINE RELATIONSHIP and the girl is HEALTHY (like no problem) during the medical exams, there is no problem in petitioning her. IF your nephew truely loves the girl, he will accept her whoever, whatever she is and whereever she came from.

Good luck to your nephew...

Edited by Rodge & Ninfa

ea924d6b6b.png

FILING FOR LIFTING OF CONDITION

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

TO NEPHEW: hhaay....if US immigration will hold your relationship just because ur fiance is a bar girl, if u love her ul take all the risk even if that means moving here in PI!

AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

and for all those who are so cruel, saying that falling inlove to a bar girl means messing up your future.. better pause and think if you know exactly what you are saying (its embarrassing when you judge others as if u dont have a mark of sin in you)

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

TO NEPHEW: hhaay....if US immigration will hold your relationship just because ur fiance is a bar girl, if u love her ul take all the risk even if that means moving here in PI!

AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

and for all those who are so cruel, saying that falling inlove to a bar girl, means messing up your future, weather a filipino or not.. better pause and think if you know exactly what you are saying (its embarrassing when you judge others as if ur super clean)

yeah it true alot of hoes in the PI but ALOT of intelligent professionals are also almost everywhere.

------------------------

K-1

Jan 2008 - application was sent back to us due to mis sent to Chicago instead of California

Jan - sent application

Jun 27 - NOA2 by the mailbox!!! (found out that d 2nd touch was d approval..sweet!)

Jul 3 - NVC sent letter to petitioner

Jul 15 - confirmation letter received (tnk u my dear DHL)

Jul 17- 1st day - medical exam SLEC (on hold and waiting for it to be done successfully) July 31- PASSED!

Aug 28 - USEM interview date! (eto' na!) - PASSED - PINK SLIP ONLY!

Sept 26 - PAL departure - MNL-LAX

NOV 23 - Church wedding

AOS

Jan 30 2009 - AOS with EAD and AP submitted to Chi, IL

Feb 4 - check cleared

Feb 10 - AOS, EAD, AP NOA1 received!

Feb 19 - Biometric appointment letter received

Feb 28 - Biometrics schedule

Mar 28 - AP and interview invitation received by mail

Apr 2 - EAD card recieved

May 15 - Interview Schedule - APPROVED!

Jun 25 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON MAIL Dated June 16

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I beg to disagree on the highlighted statement. There may be former bar girls but I believe MOST of K1 petitions are for filipinas working in less questionable fields. There are lawyers, doctors, researchers, teachers, designers, web programmers, sales reps, entreprenuers, accountants, nurses, sales ladies in department stores, etc. Former bar girls constitute the minority.... well at least here on vj and also amongst the people who filed K1 or K3 visas outside vj that I know of. Saying somebody was a bar girl has negative connonotation but I agree with stuart, bar girls do not automatically mean they are/were prostitutes. And even if they were, if they are truly reformed then there is no problem giving them a fair chance in love right?

Perhaps this old thread could be of help: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...109645&st=0

Thanks to all for the input.

As related to me, his GF/SO/fiance did in fact engage in prostitution. His concern is now related to crimes of "moral turpitude". I do not judge any girl for being a prostitute. I have on occasion been asked to talk with girls and see if I can convince them to leave the trade. A mother that I have never met in person is forever thankful for my intervention in her daughter's life. Most of these girls to use a Biblical analogy are like the "prodigal son".

The comments by nephew's "friends" are IMO are ex-pats speaking out their a$$.

the other link has a lot of good info as well. I'll send him the links

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude.No arrested or conviction then no moral turpitude

first u quote the bible and then u think its ok to lie? which side of the fence are u on?

2008-03-03 : I-130 Sent

2008-03-03 : I-130 NOA1

2008-05-08 : Touched

2008-10-16 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-03-27 : I-129F Sent

2008-03-31 : I-129F NOA1

2008-04-24 : Touched

2008-10-03 : Touched

2008-10-05 : Touched

2008-10-06 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-10-22 : NVC Receive

2008-10-24 : NVC Left

2008-10-30 : USEM Receive

2008-11-10 : Wife's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-01 : Son's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-19 : USEM Interview - PASSED

2009-01-14 : VISA RECEIVED

2009-01-25 : US Entry (JFK)

FOR THOSE WHO ARE SAYING THAT THIS GIRL WILL BE DENIED FOR K1 BECAUSE OF HER PAST, I DOUBT IT!!!

I SAW A SHOW HOSTED BY BERNADETTE SEMBRANO BEFORE on CHANNEL 2, she was featured on that show because she wanted to find her mother here in the Philippines, she said that she meet her HUSBAND while working in a BAR in ANGELES.. they are married now and living in HAWAII..

SO I guess they have a CHANCE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

edited as it's been covered several times on the 2nd page.

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
FOR THOSE WHO ARE SAYING THAT THIS GIRL WILL BE DENIED FOR K1 BECAUSE OF HER PAST, I DOUBT IT!!!

I SAW A SHOW HOSTED BY BERNADETTE SEMBRANO BEFORE on CHANNEL 2, she was featured on that show because she wanted to find her mother here in the Philippines, she said that she meet her HUSBAND while working in a BAR in ANGELES.. they are married now and living in HAWAII..

perhaps they have a chance, but it's a pretty slim one i'm betting.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

:devil:

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Timeline

this is a great read for your nephew:

great read

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Geez the nephew might wanna fly to the Philippines, spend time with his gf/fiancee to get to know her a lot better (especially her family). Since it was said that she engaged in prostitution, might wanna be careful about STD's. How is she gonna answer that bubble on number 38 on the DS-156 form??

K3 Visa - To Texas from Philippines

01-xx-2007 - I-130 & I-129F Sent

01-30-2007 - I-130 NOA1 Received

02-12-2007 - I-129F NOA1 Received

02-21-2007 - I-129F NOA2 Received (Transfer Notice)

06-25-2007 - I-129F NOA3 Received (Approval Notice)

07-26-2007 - I-130 NOA2 Received (Approval Notice)

06-12-2007 - K3 Packet Received

07-23-2007 - Medical

08-06-2007 - Visa Interview

08-09-2007 - Visa and Mysterious Brown Envelope Pick Up

08-29-2007 - Finally Reunited

EAD (soooo bored!)

05-14-2008 - EAD Mailed at Vermont

05-19-2008 - EAD Received (Signed for by ASTANLEY)

05-29-2008 - Check Cashed

05-30-2008 - NOA1 Received

06-27-2008 - Card Production Ordered

06-30-2008 - Approval Notice Sent

07-03-2008 - EA Card Received

AOS

06-12-2008 - AOS Mailed at Chicago Lockbox (finally, paperwork ready and complete)

06-16-2008 - AOS Received (Signed for by JCHYBA)

06-24-2008 - NOA1 Received

06-25-2008 - Check Cashed

07-16-2008 - Biometrics Appointment

11-13-2008 - Interview

01-07-2009 - Second Appointment

01-07-2009 - Card Production Ordered

01-13-2009 - Welcome Letter Received

01-20-2009 - 10-YEAR PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm apologise for including this part of my nephew's letter "My friends say that it shouldn’t be a problem for me because most of the K1 petitions are for former bar girls."

As I stated in my follow up comment, IMO I believe his "friends" are ex-pats speaking out their a$$.

FYI, my nephew is currently living in the Phillipines and has been for their entire relationship. He is in general a fairly squared-up individual and for that reason he asked me the question. There is a saying in Spanish "En el corazón no se manda." It means that the heart decides with whom you will fall in love.

I appreciate the non-judgemental comments from the members. In general they are what I have told him. He related to me that his GF is sorry and ashamed that she was a bar-girl, that she wasn't "pure" for him, but as the oldest of 7 children with her dad unable to work she didn't have many options. She is worried that her past could now be an impediment to their future. His contract still has a year left in it so it would be at least another 6 months before he started the K1 process. If it turns out that this girl is the one indicated for him, he wants at least 12 more months to develop the relationship before proposing marriage.

The silver lining, if there is one, is that her being a bar-girl gave the two of them the opportunity to meet and to know each other.

He viewed the Visa Journey links and was surprised at the vituperative responses. My reply to him was that the comment that I unfortunately included from his letter was like a swift, hard kick to the 'nads of most of the Filipinos on the forum. In addition, most people are pretty judgemental when it comes to prostitution. The common theme seems to be prostitute=evil, dirty woman.

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.