aspettando

visa to travel together but son does not want to come

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Friends,

It seems everything went well during the visa interview for my Masha and her son. I will add a review later. But a new development has surfaced. The 15 y/o boy does not want to come to the US. What to do? We checked in the application that they will come together. What will happen if only she shows up at the port of entry? Will they allow the boy to come by himself on a later date?

Of course I could ask directly to the Embassy what to do, but there is one more piece for this riddle: Initially we were given an interview date for August, but because I claim the boy would start school August 18 here, they moved the interview to today (July 10). We don't want the embassy to think that we used the boy for the sole purpose to move the interview earlier (we swear we didn't).

I see some "hardliners" raising their eyebrows saying that a 15 y/o boy has only one option and initially I would agree with that. This is not the point of this email, but to ask if you know what the consequences are. One possibility would be for she and her son to come together and he going back to Russia before September 1st (when classes start there). But can he be back before we get married? Can he be back before AOS?

In Russia the boy would live with his grandparents.

Thank you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Friends,

It seems everything went well during the visa interview for my Masha and her son. I will add a review later. But a new development has surfaced. The 15 y/o boy does not want to come to the US. What to do? We checked in the application that they will come together. What will happen if only she shows up at the port of entry? Will they allow the boy to come by himself on a later date?

Of course I could ask directly to the Embassy what to do, but there is one more piece for this riddle: Initially we were given an interview date for August, but because I claim the boy would start school August 18 here, they moved the interview to today (July 10). We don't want the embassy to think that we used the boy for the sole purpose to move the interview earlier (we swear we didn't).

I see some "hardliners" raising their eyebrows saying that a 15 y/o boy has only one option and initially I would agree with that. This is not the point of this email, but to ask if you know what the consequences are. One possibility would be for she and her son to come together and he going back to Russia before September 1st (when classes start there). But can he be back before we get married? Can he be back before AOS?

In Russia the boy would live with his grandparents.

Thank you.

Having the K-1 come first or only will not be a problem at the POE. A K-2 can follow at anytime as long as the visa is still valid. I assume the visa was issued therefore it is 6 mos. If not, then follow to join benefit can be 1 year. A K-1/2 visa is a single use visa. Multiple entries not permitted. So coming/leaving/returning is not a scenario to use.

YMMV

Timeline
If not, then follow to join benefit can be 1 year.

Thank you. And what would be the procedure for this?

Just follow the Consulate part of the process. The child would make the appropriate applications DS230, DS156, etc... at the time he is ready to travel. Just like the mother did.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If I understand correctly, Masha and her son have just had their interview and were told that they would receive their K-1 and K-2 visas respectively. Is that correct?

If so, there is no need to worry about the appearance of having misled the Consulate to get an early interview date. Things can change. Congrats, by the way, on getting the interview date moved up. Good to know that the Consulate is still willing to be accomodating to such circumstances.

So, now they should be receiving their visas soon. While they certainly don't have to travel to the U.S. together or at the same time, unless I'm mistaken, they both only have 6 months (from the date of visa issuance) to enter the U.S. using these visas. And, they are single entry visas. If he comes over and goes right back (before even getting AP), then it could be very difficult (and many years later) for him to come back to the U.S.

IMHO, a decision needs to be made (by your fiancee) as to where her son is going to live, and it needs to be made very quickly.

JMO.....I could be wrong.

Timeline
If not, then follow to join benefit can be 1 year.

Thank you. And what would be the procedure for this?

Just follow the Consulate part of the process. The child would make the appropriate applications DS230, DS156, etc... at the time he is ready to travel. Just like the mother did.

Thank you. I was afraid this would be the answer, to do everything over... :crying:

Timeline
If I understand correctly, Masha and her son have just had their interview and were told that they would receive their K-1 and K-2 visas respectively. Is that correct?

If so, there is no need to worry about the appearance of having misled the Consulate to get an early interview date. Things can change. Congrats, by the way, on getting the interview date moved up. Good to know that the Consulate is still willing to be accomodating to such circumstances.

So, now they should be receiving their visas soon. While they certainly don't have to travel to the U.S. together or at the same time, unless I'm mistaken, they both only have 6 months (from the date of visa issuance) to enter the U.S. using these visas. And, they are single entry visas. If he comes over and goes right back (before even getting AP), then it could be very difficult (and many years later) for him to come back to the U.S.

IMHO, a decision needs to be made (by your fiancee) as to where her son is going to live, and it needs to be made very quickly.

Yes, they will receive K1 and K2 respectively. Thank you for the congrats and for the advise. At least is good to know, like fwaguy and you said, that she can travel on her own.

Timeline

Yes, they will receive K1 and K2 respectively. Thank you for the congrats and for the advise. At least is good to know, like fwaguy and you said, that she can travel on her own.

But since the K-2 will be issued.... the follow-to-join is gone.... The K-2 will have 6 mos. from date of issuance to enter.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I see two issues: 1. the technical rules and regulations around the K-2 visa which have already been discussed, and 2. the problems that might arise if the son stays in Russia and later freaks out when he realizes his mother is not around to care for him.

I've seen the mother-son dynamic play out in Russia where the son manipulates the mother to get what he wants. Often it's by creating a crisis that the mother must respond to...usually by giving in to the son's wishes.

The fact that the son is just now making an issue about coming to the USA is troubling. He's manipulating the situation and putting his mother in a tough spot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Let me tell you our experience with this problem. I was in Moscow for my fiancee's and her daughter's interview. We had indicated on the paperwork that her daughter would not be traveling with her mother. When they walked out of the embassy I saw a look of sadness. Although the K-1 was approved they told the daughter she would have to return for another interview prior to receiving the K-2 visa. We were a little stunned and decided to walk a while and get something to eat. In less than an hour the embassy was calling us to clarify the problem. They wanted to know when the daughter would be traveling to the US as they had not asked and assumed it would be more than 6 months after her mother. I spoke with them and let them know it would be in three months. They agreed to complete the processing of the visa.

The second problem came after she arrived and stayed with us for two months that summer. She left to return to Russia and study at the university. The following summer she wanted to come on the J-1 student work and travel visa. She was denied at the embassy on the basis that she had already been to the US, and that her mother was now married and living in the US thus she was a high risk for overstaying. Seems that the same problem would apply to a visitors visa for her.

Remember the child can arrive up to one year after the mother( if it's later than 6 months he will need a new interview and perhaps a new medical). Don't get stuck with him arriving and then leaving and not being able to return. Everyone needs to think carefully before a decision is made. Probably best for him to arrive and stay until he has a green card.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Sounds like you lucked out!!

The kid can stay in RU - no one in the US government is going to care. The (soon to be) wife has a valid visa, which is valid whether or not the kid comes - so she can come on in.

Let the kid stay there and avoid the expense and hassle of having him here - everybody wins.

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

The 15 y/o boy does not want to come to the US. What to do?

Listen to his reasons, perhaps? If he's a rational human being and his reasoning seems valid, maybe it's better not to pressure?

And if he's being childish/manipulative, even more reason to leave him behind. :P

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Timeline

Thank you all for your kind answers. Yes, the boy is being manipulative and his reasons are childish (he has a new friend :crying:). However he is not stupid and eventually he will try to come. When and how are the questions. If after six months, I don't think I will be able to go through this again. I believe, the best is for him to come now, get his green card and then decide what to do. If I were in charge ... let's not get there. Thank you again for your kind and informative answers.

A K-2 visa can be issued up to one year after the K-1 visa. When you go to the interview, just tell them that the boy wants to finish his school and won't be able to come until the following year. You will need to file a separate set of forms but it only goes to the U.S. embassy, not through USCIS. Review the "following" benefits here and at the USCIS web site.

We did this with my wife's son and it was all accomplished within one month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.