3AD

Pregnancy While Waiting for K-1

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What happens if beneficiary becomes pregnant and gives birth before the K-1 interview? In other words, the visa application has already been filed and indicates only the beneficiary. With the new addition, must we start all over again and re-apply and note the baby on the new application? Or can the existing application be updated to include the baby?

Thanks.

3AD

02/06/2006 - Sent I-129F to TSC

02/08/2006 - Received by TSC, transferred to CSC

02/15/2006 - NOA1 from CSC

02/17/2006 - check cleared bank

03/21/2006 - Per recommendation of attorney, sent add'l docs to amend I-129F

03/27/2006 - Per recommendation of attorney, sent same add'l docs via certified mail (in case first got lost)

05/02/2006 - NOA2 from CSC (via email notification)

07/22/2006 - Packet 3 received

08/12/2006 - Packet 3 sent

10/03/2006 - Packet 4 received

10/26/2006 - Interview at Embassy, 221g (blue slip): advised how to file for citizenship of child (??)

11/29/2006 - Pink slip received after attorney met with immigration chief

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Can you take a trip to your fiancees country for the birth? Your child is automatically a USC, but you do need to record the birth at the embassy. If you can't do this, I am sure there is another way to record the birth, but the baby would not be an immigrant and therefore wouldnt need a Visa.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Here is a link to where you can read up on the laws pertaining to a child born to at least one USC parent.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/citizen.htm

Also have a look at the the US Embassy website in the country where the child will be born for further information of registering the birth of a baby born to USC parent/s

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If the couple is not married, is this a factor though? How do you prove you are a "parent" if the mother is not married (yet) to the father?

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

If the couple is not married, is this a factor though? How do you prove you are a "parent" if the mother is not married (yet) to the father?

From a USEmbassy website. Not sure if this is an across the board thing or not which is why I directed the OP to visit the US Embassy website of the pertinent country.

Registering a Child Born Abroad as US Citizen

Affidavit of Paternity, in case the child was born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father who, after the child’s birth, married the alien mother.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Affidavit of Paternity, in case the child was born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father who, after the child’s birth, married the alien mother.

That does not quite the solve the problem, since the affidavit would only work if the father marries the child's mother after the birth of the child. Since OP has a fiancee petition, this would not work.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

That does not quite the solve the problem, since the affidavit would only work if the father marries the child's mother after the birth of the child. Since OP has a fiancee petition, this would not work.

Nope and Im guessing there is no solution outside of getting married and doing a K-3 as all embassy sites I have accessed so far are requesting marriage certificate when registering a birth, and/or the above. I am still doing some research on this one as Im curious.

The Op going to the embassy site and obtaining a number he can call to ascertain what needs to be done in this situation could be the best advice.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Can you take a trip to your fiancees country for the birth? Your child is automatically a USC, but you do need to record the birth at the embassy. If you can't do this, I am sure there is another way to record the birth, but the baby would not be an immigrant and therefore wouldnt need a Visa.

Actually the child is not automatically a USC... there are some rules that have to be met. In addition, some hurdles may need to be jumped in order for the consulate to issue a Cansular Record of Birth if the baby was born out of wedlock to a USC father. Many high fraud consulates require a paternity test before the certificate will be issued.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Found this link on the US embassy in Manila site.

Legitimation Method 2 - The person can be legitimated if:

the father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support

for the person until the person reaches the age of 18 years and,

while the person is under the age of 18 years -

the person is legitimated under the law of the person's residence or domicile,

the father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or

the paternity of the person is established by adjudication of a competent court.

Here is the link.

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwhlegt.html

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rp1/wwwha003.html#Report

I do not think you will have to reapply for another visa, just follow the procedure to legitimize the child.

Actually the child is not automatically a USC... there are some rules that have to be met. In addition, some hurdles may need to be jumped in order for the consulate to issue a Cansular Record of Birth if the baby was born out of wedlock to a USC father. Many high fraud consulates require a paternity test before the certificate will be issued.

No, assuming the USC father has lived in the US for at least five years, at least two of which were after the father's 14th birthday, the child is automatically a US Citizen at birth, according to INA 301, paragraph (g). The child is a US Citizen whether or not paperwork is filed. In fact, the child is a US Citizen whether the parents (or the child, when he/she comes of age) want the child to be a citizen or not.

What is not necessarily automatic is getting documentary proof of the child's automatic citizenship. And yes, consulates may have some procedures to go through to prove that the child really is the offspring of a US Citizen who meets the residence requirements.

The distinction may seem small, but sometimes it's worth remembering that all you're doing in this kind of case is proving a citizenship that existed automatically since birth. There's no time limit, no "good moral character" test, no bona fide relationship test, no possibile inadmissibility on health-related grounds, public charge grounds, or any other grounds. If you can prove the parentage, you've proved the citizenship.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No, assuming the USC father has lived in the US for at least five years, at least two of which were after the father's 14th birthday, the child is automatically a US Citizen at birth, according to INA 301, paragraph (g). The child is a US Citizen whether or not paperwork is filed. In fact, the child is a US Citizen whether the parents (or the child, when he/she comes of age) want the child to be a citizen or not.

What is not necessarily automatic is getting documentary proof of the child's automatic citizenship. And yes, consulates may have some procedures to go through to prove that the child really is the offspring of a US Citizen who meets the residence requirements.

The distinction may seem small, but sometimes it's worth remembering that all you're doing in this kind of case is proving a citizenship that existed automatically since birth. There's no time limit, no "good moral character" test, no bona fide relationship test, no possibile inadmissibility on health-related grounds, public charge grounds, or any other grounds. If you can prove the parentage, you've proved the citizenship.

Yes, and no. In theory, your assertions are correct, but in practice that's not how it works. The child does not have "automatic citizenship" until paternity is proven and the birth registered at the embassy. Instead, the child is "automatically eligible for citizenship". An even smaller distinction, but one that is worth remembering when trying to actually get the child into the U.S. instead of passing a test over the INA.

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there,

Like some people already said - no problem here. We did that exactly like that:

Affidavit of Paternity is needed and can be done BEFORE the baby is born. Than registering the baby at the embassy with form FS-240 and pay a fee about $135.00 for that. At the embassy in Hamburg, Germany we had a lot of fun together because the woman had baby Henry swear to be Davids and my son... :lol:

I can not believe that this process is different in any other country... So you will be fine. Just be there as much as you can because it is very hard to be alone with the baby :crying::((F)

Good luck, Anja

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

Timeline
Hi there,

Like some people already said - no problem here. We did that exactly like that:

Affidavit of Paternity is needed and can be done BEFORE the baby is born. Than registering the baby at the embassy with form FS-240 and pay a fee about $135.00 for that. At the embassy in Hamburg, Germany we had a lot of fun together because the woman had baby Henry swear to be Davids and my son... :lol:

I can not believe that this process is different in any other country... So you will be fine. Just be there as much as you can because it is very hard to be alone with the baby :crying::((F)

Good luck, Anja

Just like every consulate has rules covering how visas are issued, each consulate has different rules on how to process Consular Records of Birth. In some high fraud countries, the consulate often requires a paternity test before the consulate will issue the certificate. I have heard this done quite often in Manila, Lagos and HCMC.

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

In addition, in order for the baby to be able to travel to the US, a passport will need to be issued for the child, as these are only issued in the US (except for emergency circumstances), it may take awhile.

Edited by zyggy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

it took us 1 week from registering the child to receiving passport and ssn

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.