w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

$4 Gas Transforming Habits

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Painfully high gas prices are causing changes in American's behaviors that haven't been possible using any other means.

The Washington Post reports that Americans are changing vacation plans, consolidating errands, and turning to carpools and mass transit.

In a society nurtured on cheap gasoline, the Post says, the effects are rippling everywhere - the end of free pizza deliveries, a plunge in the sales of sport-utility vehicles, a steep drop in the price of houses that are far from jobs or mass transit.

Federal officials reported the first decline in miles driven on U.S. roads since 1979, business at roadside convenience stores has slowed, and the tourism industry is bracing for a downturn this summer.

8% of Americans say they have changed their commuting patterns and are taking public transportation, according to a survey conducted by NPD Group. They are planning vacations closer to home this summer.

Amtrak has racked up record numbers for May - ridership rose 12.3% from a year earlier, and ticket sales climbed 15.6%. The railroad is on track to for an 11% rise in ridership this year from last year's 26 million passengers.

Sen. Barack Obama says he would fight for Amtrak funding while Sen. John McCain, has sought to block federal subsidies for Amtrak.

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.c...isplay/id/16207

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

did someone say "habit" ?

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not really surprising - two years ago our compact car used to cost around $35 to fill the tank. Now we're looking at $50.

In NJ we're protected from that somewhat as city workers use public transport - I can only imagine what our budget would be like if we were still living in CA.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just started doing a 4 person carpool this week. I had carpooled with another co-worker before, but with 4 of us, that means we're only having to buy gas once every 4 weeks which is going to be a huge help. I wish our employer would consider a 4 day work week, but they aren't open to the idea...at least not yet anyway.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Not really surprising - two years ago our compact car used to cost around $35 to fill the tank. Now we're looking at $50.

In NJ we're protected from that somewhat as city workers use public transport - I can only imagine what our budget would be like if we were still living in CA.

yeah our car costs about $50 to fill up now too...

gas is about $4.30 to $4.50 around here :o

we are lucky that hubby has a good job and we have a relatively cheap place to live and the fact that I am a pretty good bargain shopper...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was thinking about us going camping this summer (Yosemite FTW!) but I think we'll end up visiting beautiful Playa Backyarda instead. :(

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

I live and work in an area where there are no commuters, "Going my way." 1 week worth of gasoline @ $4.40/gal for ~17 gal. costs me roughly $74! After work (teaching the Mentally Retarded & Autistic), I travel each day to the homes of children in that school district for 1:1 instruction. 1.5 hrs. later, I drive home. Although, I am compensated for my after-school duty, it is still very expensive to drive on the weekends. So, for fun I bicycle on my road bike, and I visit with friends who live nearby.

I used to buy $150-200 worth of 12" vinyl (Trance) and DJ throughout Southern Ca. 10 yrs. ago. I'd drive into Hollywood to buy all of my music (@DMC). It was fun, but I'm watching my pennies more, nowadays...

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
I was thinking about us going camping this summer (Yosemite FTW!) but I think we'll end up visiting beautiful Playa Backyarda instead. :(

I am cringing at the thought of having to drive to Portland on July 8th to take my daughter to the airport (her dad's fam couldn't seem to fly her out of Seattle for some reason) and then to Vancouver the next week to pick up Patrick. We'll be doing a whole lot of walking, biking, and bus taking around here this summer until his family gets here for the wedding. They don't care because the € is worth so much more here....

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

I just started doing a 4 person carpool this week. I had carpooled with another co-worker before, but with 4 of us, that means we're only having to buy gas once every 4 weeks which is going to be a huge help. I wish our employer would consider a 4 day work week, but they aren't open to the idea...at least not yet anyway.

cool

gassavers.org has some good gas saving tips

http://www.gassavers.org/index.php

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline
Not to ruin the party but consolidating errands? Carpools? Mass transit? Folks, communism is imminent!

Well, I was always a THL so I guess being a commie was only a matter of time....

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline
What's a THL?

Tree Huggin' Liberal

penguinpasscanada.jpg