Collie

Bank account numbers

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am really not comfortable with sending bank account statements with account numbers visible. My husband is even less happy with the idea. There are regular people that work at USCIS afterall and I don't fancy having my identity stolen... I really don't see why USCIS needs the account numbers, so I was going to write in the cover letter explaining why they were blacked out.

How many of you guys blacked the account numbers out?

Thanks, Kat

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Considering all factors about identity theft, that probably isn't such a bad idea. Although the USCIS likes to say they take every precaution to protect information, there have been too many instances of sub-contractor abuse. In our application I did provide the complete copy of the bank statement and credit card. However, these accounts are the new ones I set up with my wife for this purpose so the amounts in the accounts are relatively small and my wife is learning about reviewing her credit card statement and bank account.

Vigilance is the best method against identity theft.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

I always blacked out everything except the last four digits. Plus, I always highlighted with a yellow or pink highlighter everything I did want them to see...names appearing on documents, addresses of our residences, etc.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I left all info intact and actually used it (highlighted) to show the same account number for both of us, establishing joint ownership. Do what you feel comfortable with - blocking out all but last three or four digits seems to be a good idea but I didn't want to do this (too lazy). Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

we did not blocked our account number at all..... didn't thought about it.

N-400

June 08, 2009 - Mailed packet to TX lockbox

June 12, 2009 - USCIS TX received Packet

June 15, 2009 - Notice Date

June 19, 2009 - Recieved NOA

July 15, 2009 - Scheduled for biometrics

Sept 21, 2009 - Scheduled for Interview ....Passed the interview test

Oct. 16, 2009 - Oath taking

----------------------------------------------------------------

Never let a day go by without a dream.

Dream and dedication are a powerful combination.

Good idea. Some people blacked it and were approved (on originals/before i made copies, I put tags with a few words of explanation-so, no explanation letters in my case). Stolen identity is a big problem (just last few days-a few dozen of calls from 514-555-5555 to my cell. Just checked internet-it is a company from TX which is scaming bank accounts).

I am really not comfortable with sending bank account statements with account numbers visible. My husband is even less happy with the idea. There are regular people that work at USCIS afterall and I don't fancy having my identity stolen... I really don't see why USCIS needs the account numbers, so I was going to write in the cover letter explaining why they were blacked out.

How many of you guys blacked the account numbers out?

Thanks, Kat

Karina and Tomy

It is not about immigration officer stealing your identity. I have heard that the major source of info/data for this type of criminals is garbage. Where do you think your I-751 package will end up sooner or later? I was really pissed last year when somebody started to buy airline tickets using my credit card. And the major part-after this you block everything and for a few weeks none of your cards/bank accounts are working till you get new ones.

they have your SSN already so if they wanted to steal your identity they could....

I didn't black out the numbers....

Karina and Tomy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I recall someone posted they blacked out the numbers on their bank statements and received an RFE. It may have to do with how much other info you have provided.

BTW. Government agencies and their contractors shred any documents with your personal information on them. I can't say there are not dishonest folks working for the USCIS or no one working for the goverment has never stolen anyones identity. But before they get the jobs with access to your personal information extensive background checks are done.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
BTW. Government agencies and their contractors shred any documents with your personal information on them. But before they get the jobs with access to your personal information extensive background checks are done.

True - in our case I worked for a state govt agency - we didn't shred documents - we paid an outside agency to destroy them - they use some kind of acids etc. (an employee of our agency oversees it as it is done). So this was better than shredding.

Not true - only sensitive jobs (where cash is handled etc.) require a background check. However a lot of work is privatized and those employees are required to be checked but we wouldn't know if they are or not. However, I felt very good about the process we had and till I retired I had not heard of any info being stolen. My only hope is that others are doing the same than we were doing. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline
BTW. Government agencies and their contractors shred any documents with your personal information on them. But before they get the jobs with access to your personal information extensive background checks are done.

True - in our case I worked for a state govt agency - we didn't shred documents - we paid an outside agency to destroy them - they use some kind of acids etc. (an employee of our agency oversees it as it is done). So this was better than shredding.

Not true - only sensitive jobs (where cash is handled etc.) require a background check. However a lot of work is privatized and those employees are required to be checked but we wouldn't know if they are or not. However, I felt very good about the process we had and till I retired I had not heard of any info being stolen. My only hope is that others are doing the same than we were doing. Good Luck

I work for a federal agency and our contractors can't get access to any systems (everything is electronic) without a background check and I understand that includes a credit check. There is lots of big brother. We have access to a system that runs checks on people (like Lexus Nexus). When I was a supervisor I was informed that a staff person from another section had run a check on a staff person that worked for me. Everything is looked at and monitored closely in our agency. Even when I called to get my tax transcripts from the IRS they were flagged, because my ex works for them and we had filed jointly for so many years.

But I remeber reports on TV when piles from some gov agency was just thrown away and any criminal could have an access. As far as I remember they were files with SS, names, addresses. How many situations like this were not aired?

I just had a nasty experience with identity theft-but mine was not as bad as for other 1mil people/year.

I understand that our paper packages get shreded. But this criminals are hunting for this king of garbage (from gov, banks...). 1 mil cases a year-that is a lot. virtually, we all have a huge chance to get violated.

PS: RFE due to blacking of bank data-I don't know. Some people here were approved with blacked data.

I recall someone posted they blacked out the numbers on their bank statements and received an RFE. It may have to do with how much other info you have provided.

BTW. Government agencies and their contractors shred any documents with your personal information on them. I can't say there are not dishonest folks working for the USCIS or no one working for the goverment has never stolen anyones identity. But before they get the jobs with access to your personal information extensive background checks are done.

Karina and Tomy

Timeline
But I remeber reports on TV when piles from some gov agency was just thrown away and any criminal could have an access. As far as I remember they were files with SS, names, addresses. How many situations like this were not aired?

I just had a nasty experience with identity theft-but mine was not as bad as for other 1mil people/year.

I understand that our paper packages get shreded. But this criminals are hunting for this king of garbage (from gov, banks...). 1 mil cases a year-that is a lot. virtually, we all have a huge chance to get violated.

PS: RFE due to blacking of bank data-I don't know. Some people here were approved with blacked data.

I know someone posted they blacked out their bank account number info and got an RFE. I did not say that is why they got it...BUT I recall that was the speculation.

I'm also sure that there are agencies that are not as careful as others. But keep in mind everyone you send check to has the same numbers that are on your bank statement and I'm guessing a fair amount of those folks have access to your SSN as well. We do everything we can to protect ourselves by subscribing to a credit reporting monitoring service. Monthy reports and odd activity are dispatched to us.

I have been subcribing to credit monitoring for years-it does not prevent anything. You just get an early alert-usually, at that point it is late already. Scamers process everything very fast. My fear is-our packages withI-751 have everything-SS numbers, credit cards, bank info, addresses and even copies of actual credit cards. The only missing info is 3-4digit security codes on back of credit cards. I wonder if these codes are required to take money from account. What I know for sure it is not difficult to get a loan approved/mortgage (very fast; and they know our credit history standing from all this data) with all this data and copies of GC/passport/drivers licence. The bank will not be at fault-they would show that they have all correct data and signatures. How is it difficult to forge signature? And theft or not theft-we would have to pay off this loan.

I know someone posted they blacked out their bank account number info and got an RFE. I did not say that is why they got it...BUT I recall that was the speculation.

I'm also sure that there are agencies that are not as careful as others. But keep in mind everyone you send check to has the same numbers that are on your bank statement and I'm guessing a fair amount of those folks have access to your SSN as well. We do everything we can to protect ourselves by subscribing to a credit reporting monitoring service. Monthy reports and odd activity are dispatched to us.

Karina and Tomy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.