aidan80

Life in an Office

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I just read a thread that got me thinking...

I work in an office, doing general office work.. not quite rocket science, actually quite brain numbing most times to be honest. I should be glad I have a job that pays more than the local wal-mart or office depot with benefits.. but this isn't quite what I want to do and isn't what I did back home.. There are many people in this office.. a few of which I work closely with, one of which is so stressed and at the point of breaking that it makes me wonder why they (the bosses) put up with them.

I think it's in part because they've been there longer than most of the current bosses and the other part is they are a brown noser. They know the system and know how everything works but quite often attempt to take control of things, micromanage it all the way down to how someone composes a letter. They will make them feel like $hit about how they didn't compose that letter correctly or how could they make that mistake.. and other times they couldn't care less... Then there are almost monthly times when their personal life takes over to the point where they rush out of the building in tears heading home on a phone call that "who ever" did what ever he/she did.. yet again... Their personal life interferes with and is part of their work life daily without fail. They have even became verbally confrontational to a point with their direct supervisor almost refusing to do what they are being asked, because they don't like/agree with it.

I have to ask, is this normal over here? I mean back home there were the not so nice employees that got away with everything but.. I'm just barley scratching the surface. I'm shocked that a person like the above is still in position and still working. I mean I just sit tight and make no waves... I don't become involved or interact too heavily, I remain cautious at all times, even logging my times coming into and out off the office. I got in trouble before I believe on the word of this person because I wasn't at my desk as I was using the toilet after I switched on my computer in the mornings. I'd prefer not to be in this job but this is better than nothing! :blink: I am actively searching for something else!

Sorry for the long post! :bonk:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in an office in Dublin that sounds just as stoopid and passive aggressive as that one. I suppose everbody's got them. :wacko:

:yes: That is why I've stayed so long in my present job...it may not be very well-paying, but I work with a fantastic group of people and know that that is rare indeed.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

oh man, it would drive me crazy working in an office, I don't think I could ever do a job like that, unless I had no choice.

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I just read a thread that got me thinking...

I work in an office, doing general office work.. not quite rocket science, actually quite brain numbing most times to be honest. I should be glad I have a job that pays more than the local wal-mart or office depot with benefits.. but this isn't quite what I want to do and isn't what I did back home.. There are many people in this office.. a few of which I work closely with, one of which is so stressed and at the point of breaking that it makes me wonder why they (the bosses) put up with them.

I think it's in part because they've been there longer than most of the current bosses and the other part is they are a brown noser. They know the system and know how everything works but quite often attempt to take control of things, micromanage it all the way down to how someone composes a letter. They will make them feel like $hit about how they didn't compose that letter correctly or how could they make that mistake.. and other times they couldn't care less... Then there are almost monthly times when their personal life takes over to the point where they rush out of the building in tears heading home on a phone call that "who ever" did what ever he/she did.. yet again... Their personal life interferes with and is part of their work life daily without fail. They have even became verbally confrontational to a point with their direct supervisor almost refusing to do what they are being asked, because they don't like/agree with it.

I have to ask, is this normal over here? I mean back home there were the not so nice employees that got away with everything but.. I'm just barley scratching the surface. I'm shocked that a person like the above is still in position and still working. I mean I just sit tight and make no waves... I don't become involved or interact too heavily, I remain cautious at all times, even logging my times coming into and out off the office. I got in trouble before I believe on the word of this person because I wasn't at my desk as I was using the toilet after I switched on my computer in the mornings. I'd prefer not to be in this job but this is better than nothing! :blink: I am actively searching for something else!

Sorry for the long post! :bonk:

THREE MONTHS AND I AM OUT OF MY OFFICE JOB.

I guess that would be a yes.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Are they hiring? I'll come kick their asses!

:lol:

My Husband is about to start looking for a job here, near Orlando, hopefully he won't end up in that office! Sounds like the one he just left in Calgary!

Anyway, sorry you are stuck there for the moment, hope you find a better environment to work in soon :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Well I feel much better knowing I'm not alone, unfortunately. Maybe soon we'll all escape these people... :mellow:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

A number of years ago, I worked in an office. Hated every single moment of it. That's probably why I loved the movie "Office Space" so much. It was sadly accurate in many cases.

Not all offices are bad, though. My Dad's medical office is apparently pretty good. He gives his secretaries the normal "hour lunch break" on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays; on Wednesdays they get two hours (for some reason or another) and on Fridays, they only have to work a half-day. Each year, they also get a raise. Since my Dad is usually so busy seeing patients or in the hospital, he's rarely "looking over their shoulders" so they're free to run the office almost as they see fit. Needless to say, when he does need them to stay later or do something unusual (like pick up a package), they do it, since they like working there.

Being "the boss" isn't all it's cracked up to be, either. It sounds great in theory, but it really means longer hours, more work, more stress, lots and lots of paperwork and that your salary is whatever is leftover after office and personnel expenses. Sure, you never need to ask anyone if you want to go on vacation, but you also don't get "paid vacation days" either. Every day you take off is lost potentially lost income.

So there are good and bad points to being an employer or an employee. :wacko:

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think it depends on who you work for. I've worked in offices for 13 years now and I've had really dreadful jobs and others, like the one I currently have, which I love. I have a great boss who's very flexible with my schedule, I can take a 1 or 2 hour lunches if I want and he won't question anything. I'm pretty much free to do as I please and the work still gets done. So we're all happy.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't work in an office and I STILL work with some idiots...

I think it depends a lot on your co-workers and boss.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh yeah, some co-workers are a piece of work. I can't count the times I've had to bite my tongue whenever I have issues with them. Oh and the gossip, especially when there are a lot of women around! :rolleyes:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.