Beauty for Ashes

stateside honor killings

135 posts in this topic

I dont think the discussion here is about what race or culture kill their children!!

That happens everywhere. Like the woman (white) that drowned her kids in tub. etc etc

What we are specifically talking about is honor killing, not the crime rate of who or what?? HONOR KILLINGS

And honor killings happens amongst middle eastern descent?? (for the most part)

point being? what exactly is the distinction then? forgive me if i care more about putting an end to anyone and everyone murdering their own or other people's children, and putting an end to horrible failures of criminal justice systems everywhere, rather than obsessing on one single group of people. the latter just seems a big waste of time, in light of the bigger picture.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I dont think the discussion here is about what race or culture kill their children!!

That happens everywhere. Like the woman (white) that drowned her kids in tub. etc etc

What we are specifically talking about is honor killing, not the crime rate of who or what?? HONOR KILLINGS

And honor killings happens amongst middle eastern descent?? (for the most part)

point being? what exactly is the distinction then? forgive me if i care more about putting an end to anyone and everyone murdering their own or other people's children, and putting an end to horrible failures of criminal justice systems everywhere, rather than obsessing on one single group of people. the latter just seems a big waste of time, in light of the bigger picture.

you harass me about what my own opinion is on the issue, after i had clearly stated what my personal feelings were, and then you dump youtube videos all over the thread instead of expressing one single original thought, wahrania? :rolleyes: BORING.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

you harass me about what my own opinion is on the issue, after i had clearly stated what my personal feelings were, and then you dump youtube videos all over the thread instead of expressing one single original thought, wahrania? :rolleyes: BORING.

I hardly think posting aljazeera and bbc news reports of honor killings is dumping videos. There are several very interesting reports out of Jordan.

I also do not think anyone has harassed you. You do not seem emotional or even interested in the least in the plight of these women...more concerned with somehow being correct or right..I don't think I need to state my opinion on the matter. I know someone who inspired an honor attack in Algeria and the victim is in a wheelchair and he walks scott free to this day....he s as happy as a clam and the woman he violated will never walk again

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I hardly think posting aljazeera and bbc news reports of honor killings is dumping videos. There are several very interesting reports out of Jordan.

I also do not think anyone has harassed you. You do not seem emotional or even interested in the least in the plight of these women...more concerned with somehow being correct or right..I don't think I need to state my opinion on the matter. I know someone who inspired an honor attack in Algeria and the victim is in a wheelchair and he walks scott free to this day....he s as happy as a clam and the woman he violated will never walk again

I don't think Ta Me seems disinterested; she posted in the thread, and I don't know how you can gauge her emotions. You seem preoccupied with the ills of MENA society, yet at the same time seem to seek out (being this is at a minimum your third relationship with a MENA man), relationships with MENA men. The "point" that seems ignored to me (time and time again) is that there are parallel ills in every society and while they manifest in different ways, one society is not somehow sicker and another not above the fray. However, there are people here that seem to think MENA is uniquely horrific and yet are marrying MENA men - it is curious.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I asked my ex once about 'honor killings' in Jordan.

I said 'How in the world could your brother or father kill your sister if she was bad?' He said the father and brother would not do it. They would have a cousin do it to save the familys honor. :blink:

that must make family reunions real fun. :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I dont think wahrania's youtube videos are boring!

I-130 & G325A

09/11/2007 I-130 & G-325A mailed today, to Los angeles, CA

03/16/2008 Received RFE I-130

03/26/2008 RFE for I-130, sent to LA Through USPS Certified mail

03/31/2008 I-130 RFE response letter is received

04/09/2008 I-130 case processing has resumed

04/17/2008 I-130 APPROVED!!!! DATED 04/14/08 YAY!! 7 monthes to approve.

I-485 & EAD

03/13/2008 Sent I-485 & EAD to Chicago Lockbox through USPS Priority Mail

03/16/2008 I-485 & EAD Received by R. MERCEDO USCIS Chicago IL

03/25/2008 Received NOAs for I-485, I-765

03/28/2008 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

03/29/2008 Biometrics done-Appointment Scheduled 4/05, but I went early.

03/31/2008 Case Status shows up Online

04/03/2008 EAD touched

04/10/2008 RFE for I-485 received today, dated 4/04/08

04/11/2008 Sent RFE to Lee's Summit, MO / USPS priority mail

04/14/2008 USCIS received RFE response; signed by C BORDERS.

04/17/2008 Case processing resumed

04/22/2008 Touched

05/09/2008 Received EAD Approval Notice from CRIS "Card production odered"

05/14/2008 EAD card production ordered, 2nd notice

05/16/2008 EAD Approved & Sent!! (61 days)

05/19/2008 EAD in hand!!!!!

GOD SPEED FOR ALL OF US WITH TRUE INTENTIONS!!

I don't think Ta Me seems disinterested; she posted in the thread, and I don't know how you can gauge her emotions. You seem preoccupied with the ills of MENA society, yet at the same time seem to seek out (being this is at a minimum your third relationship with a MENA man), relationships with MENA men. The "point" that seems ignored to me (time and time again) is that there are parallel ills in every society and while they manifest in different ways, one society is not somehow sicker and another not above the fray. However, there are people here that seem to think MENA is uniquely horrific and yet are marrying MENA men - it is curious.

first...for some reason you think every single mena country has things in common. This could not be farther from the truth. I am not in love with a middle easterner. I am in love with an Algerian and he is saharan in background and I have not heard one instance of honor killing in the place that his family is from........You cant see the women to flirt with them..... the women are cloaked from head to foot in white fabric with one eye poking out...His friend on the other hand that filmed the girl after having sex with her her was Algerian arab and very well aware of what might happen to the girl. Certain countries take a much lighter view of honor killings....Jordan being one of them,Egypt another. Morocco has such a high amount of prostitution that if honor killing were very prevalent ,thousands would be killed each year wouldnt they?Morocco is much more liberal than other arab states and they are truly not middle eastern either from the looks of things either. Algeria is starting to have an influx of sex trade and they are not seeing a heavy influx of honor killing either.You can hardly compare Morocco with organized gay sex tours to Marrakesh to the hashemite kingdom where a woman can be killed just for talking to a man.You cannot group all MENA together because they have very distinct cultural identities..kabilys for example have bars open in ramadan...where in medea they will beat you up for eating....Each country is unique.Each culture was unique....I have known people from different parts of mena..The moroccans were by far the most laid back....and even after unhappy times were very peaceful .The only violent mena person I have known was a palestinian...sadistic,abusive,terroristic....The only remedy was arrest and jail time followed by a restraining order...If we were over there I am absolutely sure he would have killed me.Here there were too many people who stopped him.He started punching me in the face on a public street and dragging me by my hair once and several women stepped out of their and grabbed me and called police. Another time as he was kicking me in my front yard a 17 year old interfered. Americans are often the ones to save and help you if you are over your head.Several americans helped me even a female egyptian lawyer helped me get away from him....Not all mena people are the same...and the cultures are all different.Not to say that there are not honor killings in Morocco or Algeria. They are just far less prevalent... The videos are interesting...and educational...and they talk alot about the differences between cultures

I dont think wahrania's youtube videos are boring!

i didn't say the youtube videos were boring. i was referring to her saying my posts were just a bunch of clip and paste, when i had actually stated my personal opinion, alongside an excerpt from a newsstory i read. her response was to do the same thing she accused me of-cutting and pasting in video, with nothing from HER. that was the boring part.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

first...for some reason you think every single mena country has things in common. This could not be farther from the truth. I am not in love with a middle easterner. I am in love with an Algerian and he is saharan in background and I have not heard one instance of honor killing in the place that his family is from........You cant see the women to flirt with them..... the women are cloaked from head to foot in white fabric with one eye poking out...His friend on the other hand that filmed the girl after having sex with her her was Algerian arab and very well aware of what might happen to the girl. Certain countries take a much lighter view of honor killings....Jordan being one of them,Egypt another. Morocco has such a high amount of prostitution that if honor killing were very prevalent ,thousands would be killed each year wouldnt they?Morocco is much more liberal than other arab states and they are truly not middle eastern either from the looks of things either. Algeria is starting to have an influx of sex trade and they are not seeing a heavy influx of honor killing either.You can hardly compare Morocco with organized gay sex tours to Marrakesh to the hashemite kingdom where a woman can be killed just for talking to a man.You cannot group all MENA together because they have very distinct cultural identities..kabilys for example have bars open in ramadan...where in medea they will beat you up for eating....Each country is unique.Each culture was unique....I have known people from different parts of mena..The moroccans were by far the most laid back....and even after unhappy times were very peaceful .The only violent mena person I have known was a palestinian...sadistic,abusive,terroristic....The only remedy was arrest and jail time followed by a restraining order...If we were over there I am absolutely sure he would have killed me.Here there were too many people who stopped him.He started punching me in the face on a public street and dragging me by my hair once and several women stepped out of their and grabbed me and called police. Another time as he was kicking me in my front yard a 17 year old interfered. Americans are often the ones to save and help you if you are over your head.Several americans helped me even a female egyptian lawyer helped me get away from him....Not all mena people are the same...and the cultures are all different.Not to say that there are not honor killings in Morocco or Algeria. They are just far less prevalent... The videos are interesting...and educational...and they talk alot about the differences between cultures

while very interesting indeed, none of that changes her point that every society on this earth has some seriously ill and disturbing things happening in it. i don't get overcome with moral superiority, the way many here do, when i read about honor killings because they are mainly focused in one corner of the earth that i don't happen to live in. that doesn't mean they don't make me sick.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

FYI - MENA stands for Middle East/North Africa and your man is from North Africa. I never said you were with a Middle Easterner.

I don't think every MENA country is the same and I have stated as such in the past. However, whether it be a ME country or a NA country, you seem focused on the ills of those countries, whether it be the using GC men or honor killings.

Regional generalizations don't mean much. Some Moroccans are laid back. Some are not. Some Marrekechis may actually engage in the sex industry and some are polygynists whose wives don't leave the house. You have women in Jordan who go out to cafes, dress in the latest fashions, smoke, and you have women whose families might feel such behavior is dishonorable.

I don't know what so "interesting" about the first videos, rather they were tragic. Nor do I understand why you labeled the thread "honor killing" by an Egyptian father. He is an American of Egyptian descent who was allegedly abusive to his children throughout their entire lives, including allegations of sexual abuse. It hardly seems their murders were honor killings but rather a man with a long history of abuse finally committing murder because he got pissed off. But hey, if an man was originally from an Arab country and gets pissed off at this daughters and this involves boys, it is an honor killing, right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

here's something that always makes me go hmmmm.....

for those here who are not active in the visa process, why do you post here? Before anyone gets defensive I agree you have every right to post here but it seems that some are the intellectual type that love a good debate/discussion and it just seems to me that if I were of that type, which obviously I'm not, I would hunt out a better forum on which to discuss/debate mena topics.

Not saying we don't have some good back and forths without mudslinging every so often but seriously, is this really feeding that need that some have for intellectual discourse on all things mena?

just curious and again not slamming anyone's right to post. just always wondered about it is all.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

I actually did not know he sexually abused them but if you watch the subsequent videos you will see they re simply aljazeera and bbc videos..I dont think honor killing is in any way as frequent or accepted in North Africa as it is in other countries nor did I see posting it as exposing ills in mena

I post music videos,culture,jokes..yes some greencard stuff but I post all kinds of things...Sorry for mislabling the videos about that egyptian father blowing away his 2 girls for dating as an honor killing...It was but if you find it too disparaging,think of a new title...You wont have much luck with the other videos..The BBC labeled them as well as journeyman pictures...As far as the greencard stuff...none of us will really know till everyone naturalises (not just gets greencards)The new trend is to stay married till you get your us citizenship.Its hard to revoke and you get it in 3 instead of 5 if you are still married.You can also bring a spouse from back home with it unlike a greencard.....So when all our husbands naturalise (lets say 5 years from now)all our conversations about greencards will seem relevant.Its simply too early too tell so its not worth discussing.In 10 years we need to have a vj reunion and compare notes..now its just too soon...lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.