w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

'That boy's finger does not need to be on the button'

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
almaty, kentucky, not ohio.

and the link works for me... i wonder why it isn't working for you guys :unsure:

Not sure. I tested it out in Opera, Firefox and Internet Explorer. It worked in all three for me, so it's not a browser incompatibility issue. Unless, of course, someone is using a fairly unusual browser -- Netscape, Seamonkey, Safari, Konqueror, etc. Even so, it should still probably work.

As for Davis... I can't imagine his comment was racially charged. The one reason I think this is he's a politician and if he has two brain cells to rub together, he'd know the media would report anything the least bit negative he'd say about a presidential candidate (especially something regarding race).

Perhaps I'm wrong and his mouth worked faster than his brain. It certainly happens. But if that's the case, then he really needs to learn to "think before he speaks." Not just because it's the polite thing to do in most cases, but so it'll save him from some potentially embarrassing (and troublesome) situations.

I'm not saying that when he got up this morning he thought he'd go be offensive to a black man, but if that term is what subconsciously pops into his mind and therefore comes out of his mouth when he thinks or speaks about a black man, then it is racial.

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

and the link works for me... i wonder why it isn't working for you guys :unsure:

Not sure. I tested it out in Opera, Firefox and Internet Explorer. It worked in all three for me, so it's not a browser incompatibility issue. Unless, of course, someone is using a fairly unusual browser -- Netscape, Seamonkey, Safari, Konqueror, etc. Even so, it should still probably work.

As for Davis... I can't imagine his comment was racially charged. The one reason I think this is he's a politician and if he has two brain cells to rub together, he'd know the media would report anything the least bit negative he'd say about a presidential candidate (especially something regarding race).

Perhaps I'm wrong and his mouth worked faster than his brain. It certainly happens. But if that's the case, then he really needs to learn to "think before he speaks." Not just because it's the polite thing to do in most cases, but so it'll save him from some potentially embarrassing (and troublesome) situations.

I'm not saying that when he got up this morning he thought he'd go be offensive to a black man, but if that term is what subconsciously pops into his mind and therefore comes out of his mouth when he thinks or speaks about a black man, then it is racial.

Maybe you're right. I don't know Davis from Adam, okay? He could be an aspiring Klan member for all I know. All I'm saying is he may have not meant to say it. It could have just popped in there. Haven't you ever said something you didn't mean to at an inopportune moment? I know I sure have! It's as embarrassing as all hell! In addition, do we know what his previous relationship has been with Obama? Are they friends or enemies? All of this could influence his thought patterns.

Timeline
Maybe you're right. I don't know Davis from Adam, okay? He could be an aspiring Klan member for all I know. All I'm saying is he may have not meant to say it. It could have just popped in there. Haven't you ever said something you didn't mean to at an inopportune moment? I know I sure have! It's as embarrassing as all hell! In addition, do we know what his previous relationship has been with Obama? Are they friends or enemies? All of this could influence his thought patterns.

Sure we all make gaffs, but politicians should know better.

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Timeline

You're absolutely right. But then again, they should know better than to sleep around too or retain the services of prostitutes as many do in DC.

Timeline

You're absolutely right. But then again, they should know better than to sleep around too or retain the services of prostitutes as many do in DC.

yep, can't disagree there.

and just for the record, yes, I'd say Obama's controversial remarks this weekend were pretty stupid too.

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

That's what you call a freudian mistake:

"A Freudian slip, or parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is believed to be caused by the unconscious mind."

(wikipedia)

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Timeline
So, when some Republican Member of Congress makes a remark like that it's palatable as an unfortunate choice of words. Interesting.

Not at all. I'm just trying to understand the reason behind it. That doesn't excuse it.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

"I'm going to tell you something: That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," Davis said. "He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/14/g...oy_n_96608.html

If someone had said of Hillary Clinton, "That girl's finger does not need to be on the button", would we take that as racist?

Probably not. But the term "girl" would surely be seen as disrespectful.

Likewise, if, a few years back, someone had said of John Kerry, "That boy's finger does not need to be on the button", it would be a mark of disrespect, but probably not racist.

When disrespect is aimed at a person of a racial minority, there's a temptation to attribute the disrespect to racism on the part of the speaker. Indeed, racism may be the at root of the reason why the speaker chose the disrespectful term. But that doesn't necessarily mean the term itself is racist.

It's not the term, it's the tone. The way politicians talk, someone could hypothetically say "My most esteemed colleague, the well respected gentleman senator from Illinois, Mr. Obama's finger should not be on the button." A talented orator from a southern state could say THAT line in such a way that leaves no doubt that he really intends racially-based disrespect.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Referring to an adult man as "boy" is derogatory or condescending at the least. But as a politician, he should know that referring to an African American Senator and presidential candidate at that as boy will be unmistakably construed as racist. He probably thought it was ok among the good ol' boys

(it was at GOP dinner/event) but a slip is a slip in politics . carries a costly price.

That said, I see on this board, folks referring to Senator Clinton as "gal" and I don't see awhiff of disapproval from the like-minded :blush:

We discuss at length, here, whether calling Mr. O is racist or not BUT I don't hear anyone ask calling HRC 'gal" carries equally derogatory connotation or not. Just wondering...

This post here addresses the same kinda issue regarding sexism.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121936

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Referring to an adult man as "boy" is derogatory or condescending at the least. But as a politician, he should know that referring to an African American Senator and presidential candidate at that as boy will be unmistakably construed as racist. He probably thought it was ok among the good ol' boys

(it was at GOP dinner/event) but a slip is a slip in politics . carries a costly price.

That said, I see on this board, folks referring to Senator Clinton as "gal" and I don't see awhiff of disapproval from the like-minded :blush:

We discuss at length, here, whether calling Mr. O is racist or not BUT I don't hear anyone ask calling HRC 'gal" carries equally derogatory connotation or not. Just wondering...

This post here addresses the same kinda issue regarding sexism.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121936

Many people refer as obama as "guy" too and it's not a big thing. But calling a black person "boy", considering the history of the term, is definitley not to compare to "gal" or "guy".

I think my husband would totally freak out if someone called him "boy", even if the person would say it wasn't meant disrespectful or anything. Certain things just shouldn't be said.

Edited by nane1104

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

I personally think the terms "boy" or "girls/ladies" when addressing adults are a bit condescending. But then again, I'm a commie. :thumbs:

notice>>>>>>>> sister len is a proud card carrying member of commies for christ....

brother stevie..party chairman.////

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I personally think the terms "boy" or "girls/ladies" when addressing adults are a bit condescending. But then again, I'm a commie. :thumbs:

notice>>>>>>>> sister len is a proud card carrying member of commies for christ....

brother stevie..party chairman.////

Oh boy, you can say that again.