w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

'That boy's finger does not need to be on the button'

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

U.S. Rep. Geoff Davis, a Hebron Republican ... said in his remarks at the GOP dinner that he ... recently participated in a "highly classified, national security simulation" with Obama.

"I'm going to tell you something: That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," Davis said.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/040...n_Kentucky.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

link didn't work for me either. :huh:

To me that sounds very disrespectful and even before I was reading who it was about, I thought this was a pretty racist term.

I definitley associate "boy" with old slavery terminology.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't know the history of that particular term - other than its part of the southern dialect.

It does seem condescending. Then again we are living in a climate where its acceptable for the president to describe the public, as well as people in the military as "folks".

Edited by Number 6

race...the ohioan is a chopf##k hater

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I'd say it's offensive considering the history of the use of the word. Even if you stretch and say that isn't how he meant it, it's still very condescending.

almaty, kentucky, not ohio.

and the link works for me... i wonder why it isn't working for you guys :unsure:

didn't work for me either.

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

For some reason that link is not working for me, but I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and suggest it has more to do with Obama's age.

Ageist instead of racist

He is 49. Obama is 46.

Yeah but McCain is 71 and old enough to be his father.

It is an unfortunate choice of words, however.

90day.jpg

and the link works for me... i wonder why it isn't working for you guys :unsure:

even worse, my family is orginally from that state..all haters..except for me.... :unsure:

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Link worked for me....

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it. This pretty much aligns with what I've always believed about the term:

Historically, in countries such as the U.S. and South Africa, "boy" was not only a 'neutral' term for domestics but also used as a disparaging racist insult towards non-white males (especially of African descent), recalling their subservient status even after the 20th century legal emancipation (from slavery, evolved to race segregation, viz. Apartheid) and alleged infantility, and many still consider it offensive in that context to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure. I tested it out in Opera, Firefox and Internet Explorer. It worked in all three for me, so it's not a browser incompatibility issue. Unless, of course, someone is using a fairly unusual browser -- Netscape, Seamonkey, Safari, Konqueror, etc. Even so, it should still probably work.

As for Davis... I can't imagine his comment was racially charged. The one reason I think this is he's a politician and if he has two brain cells to rub together, he'd know the media would report anything the least bit negative he'd say about a presidential candidate (especially something regarding race).

Perhaps I'm wrong and his mouth worked faster than his brain. It certainly happens. But if that's the case, then he really needs to learn to "think before he speaks." Not just because it's the polite thing to do in most cases, but so it'll save him from some potentially embarrassing (and troublesome) situations.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
This is what Wikipedia has to say about it. This pretty much aligns with what I've always believed about the term:

Historically, in countries such as the U.S. and South Africa, "boy" was not only a 'neutral' term for domestics but also used as a disparaging racist insult towards non-white males (especially of African descent), recalling their subservient status even after the 20th century legal emancipation (from slavery, evolved to race segregation, viz. Apartheid) and alleged infantility, and many still consider it offensive in that context to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy

Yepp. THat's why I don't believe this was "misspoken". People find too many excuses and explanations when they say something stupid like that...instead of thinking before they open their mouths.

I mean, if you are that high up in politics and what you say will be all over in the news, don't make remarks like that.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hard to say with certainty what his meaning was, though as mentioned even without a racial connotation, the term is extremely condescending and there may well be people who would interpret the comments in a racially charged manner. Of course - those people probably wouldn't vote for Obama in 1000 years.

Given the state, the history surrounding the term in the South - another choice of words would have been more appropriate.