w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

'That boy's finger does not need to be on the button'

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Everyone's so incredibly sensitive :o I keep being amazed.

"Boy" (or "girl" since people are bringing it up) doesn't personally offend me at all, I just consider that colloquial. I'm in SC though, yes...I know it has historical associations as how you'd address slaves, but that doesn't mean it's the word's only association. I don't think it's meant as demeaning...to be honest I don't even think it was probably meant to be demeaning in slave days; I think probably slave owners called their own sons 'boy' too.

I know in the south we still say that a lot, and I do hear girl a bit now that I think about it, too...I've never heard it as offensive. Actually, when my mom first found out I 1. had an "internet boyfriend" and 2. had had one since I was 15 and 3. Wanted to fly across the ocean to see him for a couple weeks by myself still as a minor (:D:D:D) she wrote an email to Iain's mother in which she said something like "Tell that boy to"...I don't know, behave, not lay a hand on me, whatever else :P

And Iain's mom was a bit terrified of just that 'that boy' phrase actually and I didn't get why at all but thought it was a US-UK culture clash, not south-everyone else in the world. Hmm :(

Bah I still say everyone's too sensitive :P

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I personally think the terms "boy" or "girls/ladies" when addressing adults are a bit condescending. But then again, I'm a commie. :thumbs:

notice>>>>>>>> sister len is a proud card carrying member of commies for christ....

brother stevie..party chairman.////

Oh boy, you can say that again.

shut up, boys men... you're making this girl woman blushhhhhh :blush: :blush:

When I was right out of college, my boss made me design construction plans as kind of a "trial by fire". I didn't really know what I was doing sometimes and therefore had some unhappy construction workers calling me to answer their questions. One time, a white construction worker even told me "you shouldn't be drawing up these plans, boy!" Granted I am white, but should I have called this construction worker a racist and requested that he be fired? :crying:

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110

For some reason that link is not working for me, but I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and suggest it has more to do with Obama's age.

Ageist instead of racist

He is 49. Obama is 46.

Yeah but McCain is 71 and old enough to be his father.

It is an unfortunate choice of words, however.

Hell, he's old enough to be my great-great-grandpa...

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline
link didn't work for me either. :huh:

To me that sounds very disrespectful and even before I was reading who it was about, I thought this was a pretty racist term.

I definitley associate "boy" with old slavery terminology.

I agree that the way "boy" was used here was disrespectful. It very well could have even been racist, though I don't think it is necessarily so. I think words only have the power we give them. When I taught in a school that was primarily Black in a town where there had once been plantations, I used to call the boys "boys." (Imagine that.) One boy took offense until I held him after class and told him that my baby brother was 6'4", 19 years old, and I loved him, but I still called him a boy because I didn't consider him a man yet. The boy smiled, and I never heard another complaint about that word in the rest of my years at that school.

My point is to automatically assume that a word has one meaning when it is usually used in a much broader sense, or to read meaning into words stops discussion. I had a boss who used to do this to stop discussion. He would say that "vehement" and "urgent" were loaded words. You never knew which word you were going to be called on, and when you were called on a word, your point was totally lost in the defense of your language.

I couldn't watch the video, but it is possible the man was being disdainful about the lack of experience Obama is perceived by some to have rather than his race. I would hope that no one with half a brain would think race has anything to do with politics, but I know that is naive. Still, I can't imagine anyone slick enough to get elected would let such a stupid sentiment slip, even if he felt it. Regardless of how he meant it, though, fairly or unfairly, he will now forever be labeled a racist. That's why I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Letter from Geoff Davis to Senator Obama

On Saturday night I gave a speech in which I used a poor choice of words when discussing the national security policy positions of the Presidential candidates. I was quoted as saying "That boy's finger does not need to be on the button."

My poor choice of words is regrettable and was in no way meant to impugn you or your integrity. I offer my sincere apology to you and ask for your forgiveness.

Though we may disagree on many issues, I know that we share the goal of a prosperous, secure future for our nation. My comment has detracted from the dialogue we should all be having on legitimate policy differences and in no way reflects the personal and professional respect I have for you.

Sincerely,

Geoff Davis

Member of Congress

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.