suzukiwookie

How to go through customs at JFK if coming from Canada?

76 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

JFK, and rarely other poe's, will sometimes issue an EAD stamp that is good for 90 days.

K1's are actually authorized to work in the U.S. already but most, including employers, are uneducated and mistake the wording in the law.

There are posts all over vj regarding this but here is one from just yesterday with a link to the exact law.

timeline.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Edited to remove the slew of innacurate info I just posted.... My bad !! :P

Edited by luv2teach77

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have just read on the UCSIS website that when the K1 fiancee arrives at the major port of entry (ie: JFK) the immigration officer can issue her with a 90day work visa to allow her to work whilst in the country on the K1.

From the *vibe* of the article it didnt seem like this was common practice...more so if the K1 Fiancee requested it.

Does anyone know anymore info on this? Obviously, if the fiancee could legally work whilst as a k1 (before the AOS comes through) it would be a big plus!!

cheers,

thanks in advance :dance:

It is not a work visa but a work authoriztion stamp that is placed on the alien's I-94. Many employers may shy away from a person with only 90 days authorization (unless maybe a temp or seasonal position) because they have potential for an authorization "gap" and will have to stop until re-authorized.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Edited to remove the slew of innacurate info I just posted.... My bad !! :P

:lol: cute!

As soon as I read your post I realized that my information on this subject is missing a few key facts. I'm man enough to realize when I'm wrong and wouldn't want to mis-inform anyone.

Thanks for the education :D

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well, HOLY TOLEDO!!! Another invaluable piece of information. I don't what I would do without this board sometimes. Yesterday I got a great tip for my fiance to renew his passport before he gets here and now this tidbit.

At least my obsessive checking of the board pays off. :dance: Now if only I would get some sign of approval from CSC on the NOA2........

TAKING A ROUGH LIFE EASY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Yes, self employed, any type of employment must have EAD...you will have to stop working and wait for the other EAD to go through.

Sorry :(

Remember that K-1's are authorized to work in the US without the stamp. I'm sure that's why most POE's don't bother with the stamp. Wouldn't make sense that the people entering through JFK where some how "special" and were the only people work authorized.

Read https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...33;opendocument Read employment authorization by class of admission.

The biggest problem will be convincing your ignorant employer that you are authorized.

Also you don't necessarily need to quit after 90 days unless you are asked to up front... any problem with working after the 90 days is automatically forgiven at AOS.

it seems to me that these two posts contradict each other... does anyone have any idea which of them is correct? or if neither of them are, what the truth is?

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Yes, self employed, any type of employment must have EAD...you will have to stop working and wait for the other EAD to go through.

Remember that K-1's are authorized to work in the US without the stamp. I'm sure that's why most POE's don't bother with the stamp. Wouldn't make sense that the people entering through JFK where some how "special" and were the only people work authorized.

Read https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...33;opendocument Read employment authorization by class of admission.

The biggest problem will be convincing your ignorant employer that you are authorized.

Also you don't necessarily need to quit after 90 days unless you are asked to up front... any problem with working after the 90 days is automatically forgiven at AOS.

it seems to me that these two posts contradict each other... does anyone have any idea which of them is correct? or if neither of them are, what the truth is?

The first is technically correct... the second is correct from a practical standpoint with the additional knowledge of the automatic forgiveness

YMMV

The first is technically correct... the second is correct from a practical standpoint with the additional knowledge of the automatic forgiveness

I disagree.

No offense to Laura and Nick, but according the website referenced above, a K-1 does not need any EAD documentation to legally work. So you wouldn't have to stop working after your K-1 expires and before you receive your permanent EAD.

On that website it says: The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

So it looks like a K-1 isn't even supposed to get a temporary stamp at POE according to this.

Edited by kid brooklyn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm, so if thats true, that would make life easier on those immigrating. I find it hard to imagine that they would have people start work, stop, and then start again. I can understand the illegal issues with illegal immigrants earning money and using taxpayer's services, but for the legal people, thats a sin. So is there a 100% ruling on this...can work once arrive or wait till EAD?

USA_a.gif

Timeline

[size="3]I know what you mean! This forum is fantastic. Sometime I feel like we are chasing our own tail when compling the the info needed for the I-129F Petition... I bombard the forum with questions, always to be met with a speedy reply!!

Thanks so much for all the info, links and suggestions!!

Not long now until we send off our I-129F.

xx :star:[/size]

Edited by Steve and Amara

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yeah...but here's the trick...must places want a SSN when applying for work! Even if you go down to the SSN office the day after your fiance(e) gets here they need to verify that your SO is eligible to get an SSN with USCIS...according to Social Security this could take 6-8 weeks, then another 2 weeks to get the actual card!

So when all is said and done your fiance(e) has 2 weeks to work legally before the 90 day K1 expires! :blink::wacko:

Hey, but I'm going for it anyway...nothing ventured...

Good luck!

Blessed,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I have just read on the UCSIS website that when the K1 fiancee arrives at the major port of entry (ie: JFK) the immigration officer can issue her with a 90day work visa to allow her to work whilst in the country on the K1.

From the *vibe* of the article it didnt seem like this was common practice...more so if the K1 Fiancee requested it.

Does anyone know anymore info on this? Obviously, if the fiancee could legally work whilst as a k1 (before the AOS comes through) it would be a big plus!!

cheers,

thanks in advance :dance:

My husband came from Egypt to JFK and they gave him the Temp Work Stamp without asking. Its on the back of his I-94. He came December 2005

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Timeline

okay so i've done a little more reading, and your right, your K1 is legally able to work (with or without the stamp on the I-94). But SOME employers will ask for the SSN, which can be issued temporarily, but again this takes time...and money.

From what I have read it is better to save the money for the AOS and dont bother applying for the temporary SSN becasue as stated above by Gill, it may only be reieved a few days/weeks before the K1 90 days expires.

Cheers!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe that this is a very recent change - within the last few months. The problem still occurs that employers don't know about this right and will insist on seeing one of the documents from their list of work entitled documents - the K-1 is not listed; the employment stamp is. They are required by law to verify the legal employability of every employee. This is where many run into problems.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.