anka

Planning tentative wedding date

22 posts in this topic

Hi again guys!

What would be a good estimated tentative wedding date to mark down? I will be sending the I129f stuff to the Vermont Service Center by Apr. 1, my fiance's embassy is in Russia...

I am just interested in what you would put down as a date of intended wedding

Thank you so much--seriously don't know what we'd do if it weren't for this amazing site!

Anna

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi again guys!

What would be a good estimated tentative wedding date to mark down? I will be sending the I129f stuff to the Vermont Service Center by Apr. 1, my fiance's embassy is in Russia...

Thank you so much--seriously don't know what we'd do if it weren't for this amazing site!

Anna

The vermont service center is going really fast right now jsut saw someone get their petition in under 2 months! It will take from there a couple weeks to get to the consulate and about 2 months from there! So if everything is perfect on your application your fiance could have their visa in about 5 months so i would mark down anywhere betewwn 6 and seven months from now

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

I alway err on the safe side. Our petition is going through California. It may be a bit slower. With our's we might have international guest coming to the wedding. The last thing I want to do is tell them that the wedding is post poned because the visa is processing slower than I thought especially once the already purchased their airline tickets. It seems as though ours might coomplete is about 8 months. I would look on the timelines for the Vermont office (on this site - NOT on the uscis site) and adjust your date accordingly building in a little breathing room. This is ofcourse in the event that you are going to have a typical wedding. After all that work why would you want to reschedule it. Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

I would not plan ANY tenative date until you get that visa in your hot little hands! Plans being scrapped is almost as depressing as the wait times. RFE's, translated documents, police reports...there are so many snags that could happen that would upset any date you've planned. Remember, you have six months to use the visa, then 3 months after entering before having to get married (oops 90 days, not 3 months). Either way, that should give you plenty of time to plan something. Do a search for people that have put serious money down and planned weddings, that didn't dissolve due to embassies and consulates that weren't within the usual timelines. Best to wait...can't stop you from internet looking...dreaming...planning...just don't plan a day!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I agree with Mike T. and Carlawarla. Anything can happen so it's better to wait, especially since you haven't even send your petition yet. If you want to start making plans at least wait until you have your interview scheduled, but even then.. nothing is for sure until your fiance has the K-1 on her hand.

We all get anxious, but better be safe and wait.

Edited by eric_and_teresa

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

I wouldn't plan a thing until you know the date of the interview and even then, I would just start estimating on when the wedding might happen. I wouldn't set anything in stone until you have the visa in hand.

Some cases take longer than others....yes, Vermont is moving very fast but you just never know.

:)

Best of luck and congrats on taking this step!!!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I wouldn't plan a thing until you know the date of the interview and even then, I would just start estimating on when the wedding might happen. I wouldn't set anything in stone until you have the visa in hand.

Some cases take longer than others....yes, Vermont is moving very fast but you just never know.

:)

Best of luck and congrats on taking this step!!!

Hi there, we had the same decision to make. In the end we decided not to book anything, or tell anybody dates (so they don't book flights), but have mentally pencilled in November 8th. We filed at the beginning of Feb, and it has been nice to have a date to work towards, although I suppose if things did go wrong it would be a bit galling to have to move that back. Hope that is useful, and good luck!!! David

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

same here.

I wouldn't plan anything (except a wedding in a drive through in vegas (wich is what we will do :P)).

And we'll see later (in about 5 years) for the fancy one :P (give us time to organize, save etc)

Edited by melusine

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Thanks everyone for your input! I know, I don't even really know where to start "planning" a wedding anyways! However, I've read/heard that by giving a date (estimated or whatever), the k1 petition and/or application can can be taken more serious and will have a greater chance of being approved... (???) This is probably total BS, though, right? I can't imagine them really expecting any of us to set a date (tentative or not!) when they can't even tell us when which month the visa will be finalizes, or if it even will be finalized....

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

if they ask for approx date just tell them as soon as the visa is issued and in hand

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
if they ask for approx date just tell them as soon as the visa is issued and in hand

This is exactly what we wrote for an approximate date. Worked for us. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi again guys!

Anna

Within 90 days of entry in the USA.....

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes another good answer, the thing is its not like the interviewers dont already KNOW this is the situation, they know people cant plan until they have something to plan around

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Ditto that...

But don't make any concrete plans until visa is in hand.. As I've found, even the most stupid and random things can delay your journey unexpectedly.

Side note, we're doing a very small actual wedding with immediate family and a couple friends that has hardly any planning, and then we're having a bigger reception later on that we can plan more thoroughly. Might be an idea for you as well.

Good luck!

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Thanks everyone!

I feel a bit silly for even asking this question which now is so *blatantly* obvious! :whistle:

Edited by anka

As of:

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.