DeadPoolX

The Gun Control Debate

428 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems everyone has an opinion on this and it'll never really get solved, but since we all like to debate here (it is, after all, why the off-topic forum exists) and this topic has been brought up again with the recent school shooting, I thought it might be better to have a thread dedicated to this, instead of corrupting a different thread designed for "concern and mourning."

Wow. That was a long sentence. :blink:

Okay... who wants to discuss: Gun control laws or concealed handgun licenses? How about the background criminal checks when purchasing firearms? Let's get this ball rolling! :dance:

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good idea :thumbs:

i'll be here :innocent:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I own firearms, and I am trained to use them safely and responsibly. With so many nutters and criminals on the loose, I am prepared to defend myself, my family and my home. The ONLY times I am going to pull a trigger are either down at the range, or if mine or my family's life is in danger.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I wouldn't be upset if guns were banned from this country altogether.

Going to get my flame retardant suit now...

probably because you don't have one to begin with.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

Being armed is important during times of anarchy and social breakdown. In the neighborhood I lived in as a teenager in India, the only reason our neighborhood was unscathed during the riots of 1991 was because people in our neighborhood patrolled all night with visible (unconcealed) weapons. I don't have a gun myself but I certainly see the value in making sure a populace is well-armed, for times of social breakdown. Can't happen in the US? Perhaps. But it's possible.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
I wouldn't be upset if guns were banned from this country altogether.

Going to get my flame retardant suit now...

have you got one for me too... :mellow:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
Being armed is important during times of anarchy and social breakdown. In the neighborhood I lived in as a teenager in India, the only reason our neighborhood was unscathed during the riots of 1991 was because people in our neighborhood patrolled all night with visible (unconcealed) weapons. I don't have a gun myself but I certainly see the value in making sure a populace is well-armed, for times of social breakdown. Can't happen in the US? Perhaps. But it's possible.

Yup, I do totally agree with this and that raises problems in my head about what to do with gun control. I forgot about this possibility/issue in my last post; and it is by far the most sensible (if not the only sensible) good-enough reason I can think of for everyone to have guns.

All the other reasons: self-protection, personal right, the ability to help others in case some "other psycho" happens to have a gun on the street, collecting, whatever else - they all just have too many holes in them for me to take that seriously. Again, to me it all comes down to the sheer numbers of people who die because of guns every year. And most of these gunmen murderers I'd like to add most likely are NOT actually psychos who would have killed anyway in any means they found to; I think there are tons more people walking around in need of help or just having a really, really bad day that see the ease of picking up a gun, than there are Michael-Meyers style completely satanic and dehumanizing 'enemies.'

But I don't really want to debate the issue since most of the arguments are things people have heard before anyway, I doubt anyone's mind is changed, it's not like I'm in a position to actually pass some sort of law, it's not like I'm an expert on any of this (and thus the other 'side' can very easily just quote each sentence of anything I say and put 'um, no' by it in refutation), etc etc. I guess everyone knows everybody else's position, and beyond that it's doubtful it's going to do any good unless we all go collectively study the entire history and legislation of guns and gun murders and gun benefits. People get too unnecessarily defensive about this topic and I can't really be bothered.

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

I have been trained in firearms since I was 8 years old by my EXTREMELY responsible grandfather. He absolutely 100% made sure that myself and any other family members that came with him to the range did not touch a single weapon before we had safety drilled into our heads. I am not afraid of guns, I respect them and the power they have to do harm when mishandled. In a perfect world everyone would be responsible and guns would only be needed to hunt for food. The world isn't perfect (big revelation). Guns have already pervaded our society and to ban them at this point would only lead to responsible citizens remaining unarmed while those less responsible in society continuing to own them and use them in terrible ways. I would hope that no one on this message board is stupid enough to think that guns being banned would actually lead to people not having them. This country is too large to scour every household to remove contraband weapons. Sure, future purchases of guns would more than likely reduce crime instances and this is of course a good thing, but I do not believe that it would in any way be that hard for anyone wanting a gun to find one on the black market. Our forefathers saw fit to include in our constitution the right to bear arms, believing that it was necessary for citizens to be able to arm themselves in a time of attack or revolution. There will always be people who want to do others harm, and whether they use guns or another weapon, they will find a way to inflict that harm. It's statistics. Blaming this entire issue solely on guns would be irresponsible.

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Solutions to random shootings can be found by tracing where the person obtained the guns as well as the safety measures of places like school campuses.

Why do they choose to these targets and this method vs. using explosives or some other destructive method?

Where there any warning signs that this person was going to do this?

Did they recently go out and purchase the guns and ammo used?

Did they obtain the guns through legal means?

Most often, these shooters have no criminal record, so the argument that having tighter restrictions on gun purchasing wouldn't stop them is a straw man argument. These people have mental problems, but not all of them have been diagnosed. If there was some preliminary screening for all gun owners, that would help...for starters.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I want to know where are all the responsible gun owners to take out a crazed psycho when something happens? Seems that is always the argument, that they will be ready to protect themselves and others, yet it's only the odd "granny shoots intruder" story tht you hear about. So where are all of the gun owners ready to protect us all...

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

The way I see it, the problem with guns is how readily they are available for people to buy. I don't have a problem with people having guns. The problem I have is when anyone can walk into a store and buy a gun over the counter.

I fully understand the right to bear arms and all that but at what point does it infringe on other people's right to be safe where they are? In Philadelphia everyday on the news you hear about someone being shot. Everyday and over the stupidest sh!t. The governor tried to get the state legislature to allow Philadelphia to pass its own gun control laws or something to get the guns off the streets and they turned him down. How many people need to die at the hands of criminals for the laws to change?

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Criminals aren't stupid, they're not going to go legally buy and register a .45 then go out the next day to rob a bank or kill someone.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm pro-Gun ownership.

This may seem strange, but I'd be ok if we banned guns if the following were true:

1) Gun laws and banning would work. If you can assure me banning would remove guns from the criminals I'd be more inclined to go for this ides, however it is already a major felony to possess a gun, use a gun in the commission of a crime, etc., so obviously criminals can get access, even though they are 'banned,' from ownership and possession.

2) The government will always be for the good of the people and will always do the right thing. Nazi Germany started to disarm the populace and communist countries usually don't allow the common person to own a gun. The government that fears their citizens being armed is the government you need to fear.

3) If anarchy hits, everyone remains calm and shares resources. If you think in an earthquake, Katrina-like situation, terrorist attack, or other major change in society will result everyone getting along and being nice I believe you are deluded. Better be one of the armed folks than one of the easy victims.

However, I will share a troubling experience I had. My house was burglarized during XMas and the thieves went through my house and ransacked it, however to this day the only things I see missing are: an air rifle, a .22 rifle, and my shotgun - They specifically took the firearms.

As a legal gun owner it troubles me knowing that a few weapons I owned are on the streets and could be used in crimes. However, at the same time I can't conceal carry, have to transport the gun locked, clips empty, so unless I am going to the range the guns are locked and stored at home - where thieves can steal them.

As a law abiding person I am really restricted in my ability to have a gun ready or in any sort of useful condition while following the law when away from home.

Also, with kids and such having loaded weapons around isn't a good idea either.