GarynMarie

Please Help-My Cousin married a U.S. Citizen. She came to U.S. to a Nightmare

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
How did this guy get past IMBRA with a criminal record that long? Have none of his convictions been for abuse?

I have said the same thing on many occasions. I guess they let this one slip through the cracks. I am sure that with the thousands of cases they deal with that they all arent looked at as close as they should be.

so you're saying that the person checking on his criminal record were incompetent? This is an interesting issue.

it could well be he filed prior to imbra taking effect.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did this guy get past IMBRA with a criminal record that long? Have none of his convictions been for abuse?

I have said the same thing on many occasions. I guess they let this one slip through the cracks. I am sure that with the thousands of cases they deal with that they all arent looked at as close as they should be.

so you're saying that the person checking on his criminal record were incompetent? This is an interesting issue.

it could well be he filed prior to imbra taking effect.

...or imbra doesnt apply since they filed for CR1?

to the OP i hope your cousin gets out of that abusive environment soon enough. worry about her immigrant options later, life is far more precious than any piece of paper...Goodluck!

mikeandlani

our Visa Journey

09.01.06 - Filed I130 to VSC

05.21.07 - NOA2

06.19.07 - NVC receives Petition

11.23.07 - CASE COMPLETE

01.30.08 - USEM Interview

02.02.08 - CR1 Visa Received

03.03.08 - Entered US through Detroit International

03.27.08 - Received 2yr Conditional Resident Card

04.01.08 - Filed for my SSN at the local SSA office

04.05.08 - SSN received by mail

05.03.08 - Finally got my Driver's License

lifting conditions....

I-I-751

12.07.09 - Sent I-751 to VSC by express mail

12.08.09 - I-751 delivered to VSC per USPS tracking :-)

12.09.09 - NOA1 date (Checked cashed :-D)

12.14.09 - Received NOA1

12.18.09 - ASC Appointment Notice Date

12.26.09 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

12.31.09 - Early Biometrics

01.14.10 - Biometrics Schedule

02.26.10 - Email update --Card Production ordered

03.02.10 - Email update --Approval Notice sent

03.06.10 - Approval Notice Received

03.08.10 - Card Received

Naturalization

I-N400

09.09.11 - Sent N400 to USCIS Dallas Lockbox

09.23.11 - Received 1-797 by mail

11.17.11 - Biometrics Schedule

01.25.12 - Received Interview and Exam Notice by mail

02.28.12 - Interview schedule

03.28.12 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

This is what baffles me also.How was he able to sponsor someone with that kind of track-record ? :blink:

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

what a lucky #######! he was able to petition his wife eventhough he has been divorced 4 times and had previous criminal records, and getting only SSI? How could the embassy didnt do something do about it?!.. and now this is how he treats his wife in the U.S?!

Edited by AnneiyAndJacky

K3 VISA:

09/20/06 - I-130 Sent

10/03/06 - I-129F sent.

10/10/06- I-129F NOA1

11/28/06 - BOTH I-129F & I-130 approved!!!!

12/27/06 - NVC Left case no. assigned MNL 200685XXXX

01/26/07 - Received Packet 3

02/27/07 - Received Packet 4

03/01-02/07 - Done with my Medical Appointment at St. Lukes

04/17/07 - Interview at U.S Embassy - got the blue slip..on AR

07/05/07 - Went back to US Embassy submitted new affidavit of support for my K3, we'll wait for decision, still on AR

07/24/07 - OMG!!!! I cant believe it I got my K3 Visa in hand!!!

08/09/07 - Arrival in the U.S - POE at LAX

AOS:

08/27/07 - Sent AOS and EAD

08/29/07 - Chicago Lockbox received both AOS and EAD

09/18/07 - Checks cashed 09/21/07 - NOA on both AOS and EAD

09/27/07 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

10/18/07 - Biometrics

10/19/07 - Received RFE

10/26/07 - USCIS received the response to our RFE

11/05/07 - EAD Card Production ordered

11/16/07 - EAD Card received

11/26/07 - Received interview notice

01/25/08 - Interview Date!!!! APPROVED!!!

04/18/08 - At long last! GC Card production ordered

04/21/08 - Email noticed welcome letter

04/23/08 - Email card production again

04/25/08 - Welcome Letter received

04/30/08 - Greencard received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

If this person is in so much danger, why have you not kept her at your house (when she has been visiting) and called the police.

You have told us yourself that she is in danger but you are not doing anything to help her,

Nov 11th 2003 sent i29f form to VSC

Nov 18th 2003 received NOA 1

Jan 17th 2004 NOA 2

Feb 6th 2004 received package 3

March 11th 2004 recieved package 4

April 7th 2004 interview in Sydney

April 7th 2004 VISA GRANTED

April 27th 2004 Arrive in Boston 8.30pm

may 29th 2004 WEDDING DAY

May 11th 2004 applied for SSN

May 17th received SSN card

June 12th 2004 applied for AOS EAD AP

July 7th 2004 NOA received for AOS EAD

August 3rd 2004 Biometrics appt in Rhode Island

EAD approved online Aug 3rd 2004

EAD card arrived in the Mail Aug 9th 2004

started working 13th September 2004

applied for renewal of EAD May 9th 2005

bio appt for EAD renewal June 10th 2005 in Boston

July 6th renewal EAD approved

July 12th 2005 renewal EAD arrived in the mail

Sept 12th AOS suspended until FBI fingerprints are done

Sept 17th FBI fingerprint appt

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview success

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

To the OP.

If your wife's cousin truly believes that she is in danger due to either physical, mental or verbal abuse IMMEDIATELY have her remove herself from the situation. If necessary man up and go with her and your wife and file a complaint at the local police station. After the complaint has been filed, apply at the Superior court for a civil protection order for you and your wife and her cousin. If your wife's cousin cannot stay at your house get her into a battered women's shelter. Under your county's social services you should be able to locate the number for the local shelter.

Waste no time getting your wife's cousin out of danger. Abusers normally escalate the abuse over time.

Everything else that has been said on this thread ignore for now. The most important thing is removing your wife's cousin from the danger.

As one who has been in a similar situation, I can say that it is EXTREMELY difficult to leave an abusive relationship. The abuse has a tendency to numb the mind, and destroy the self-esteem. One tortures oneself through fear of leaving and fear of future abuse. It is only with time after leaving the abuse that one can look back with a rational mind and see the situation as it truly was and can only then be in agreement with many of the posts in this thread.

The best of luck to your wife's cousin and don't beat yourself up over the woulda, shoulda, could ofs.

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First off, you as a "friend" should have reported this @$$hole to the police. He definitely needs to have the cops called on him....and also..I'd be talking with his ex wives...do they know how he is treating the children as well? I agree also to the fact that other than her cousin...who does she have? It would be better to return to her home country....and visit her cousin in the US...rather than live with a p*ss poor excuse for a man.

Edited by ♥C and P♥

I-129F

13 April 2007--Mailed I-129F (Processed at California Service Center)

18 April 2007--Received NOA1

13 Aug. 2007--Received NOA2

09 Oct. 2007--Medical in London

08 Nov. 2007--Visa Interview & Approved

14 Nov. 2007--Pete receives K1 visa in the mail

21 Nov. 2007-- Pete arrives in the United States (together at last!!)

27 Dec. 2007--Our 3 year anniversary of being engaged

16 Feb. 2008--We were married!!

AOS

........ho hum....

Very sorry to hear about this situation.But you know what im really sorry to say that MOST OF ALL i again say most of all NOT ALL of these women from the philipines and some other countries get married to these men mostly to somehow come to the unites states.

Can anyone give any other explaination how can a women just get married to a stranger who is goes on vacation there ????????????

I blame such guys who spoil lives of such women BUT

I ALSO BLAME THESE WOMEN WHO WILL MARRY ANY TOM,####### OR HARRY WITH A US PASSPORT.

Nomatter how old the guy is how ugly he might be they will still marry him in just a few days knowing him.

Like this case if she married this guy and the marriage doesnt work out why is going back not an option?????

And even in a few similar posts when these women think is a divorce and going back they aks so many questions how this would effect their next petition as is they know that there is someone out there only in the united states to whom they are bound to get married to.

I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR THIS WOMEN THAT IT DIDNT WORK OUT BUT I THINK MARRIAGE SHOULD BE TAKEN A BIT MORE SERIOUSLY.

AND NOT AS A MARRIAGE OF CONVENAINCE.

Forgive me if i offend anyone but everyone knows that there is some truth in what i just said.

God bless you hope thing work out in ur favour.

It's easy to hop on some bandwagon and become an angry mob when only one side of a story, and a pretty extreme one at that, is being told. But in reality - who is this guy that he can get away with what he did to ride again into the sunset? While the benefit of every doubt ought to be given to the subject of a violent or abusive relationship, (a) there is nothing from the 'victim'; and (B) there is nothing from the one accused of the actions complained of. Are we to string this person up without knowing the other side...? Do we convict based on hearsay and the observations of others?

If all that is said about the guy is true, then yeah - the guy should be subjected to the type of comments raised here. But what if this is an exaggerated story...? What if this is all made up...? What if everything was taken out of context and blown out of proportion...?

Looks like we're awfully quick to judgment here. Again...if the person is like the OP says, then yeah...bombs away. But this just doesn't all add up.

Filed: Timeline
It's easy to hop on some bandwagon and become an angry mob when only one side of a story, and a pretty extreme one at that, is being told. But in reality - who is this guy that he can get away with what he did to ride again into the sunset? While the benefit of every doubt ought to be given to the subject of a violent or abusive relationship, (a) there is nothing from the 'victim'; and (B) there is nothing from the one accused of the actions complained of. Are we to string this person up without knowing the other side...? Do we convict based on hearsay and the observations of others?

If all that is said about the guy is true, then yeah - the guy should be subjected to the type of comments raised here. But what if this is an exaggerated story...? What if this is all made up...? What if everything was taken out of context and blown out of proportion...?

Looks like we're awfully quick to judgment here. Again...if the person is like the OP says, then yeah...bombs away. But this just doesn't all add up.

:thumbs:

If everything we've heard is true then I don't get it... How did he manage to hide it all and get through - USCIS, NVC, DHS & all kinds of security checks. <_<

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'd like to add my $.02 worth. Theres some problems with this story. First off, i have a problem with what the original intentions of the USC and the SO were. Assuming the OP tells a semi accurate story of his "then friend" did he go there to meet a wife, or buy a wife. Cuz you kno that stuff happens alot with the mail order bride stuff going on. Maybe it was really a business deal that went bad! I really mean no disrespect...but so many things just dont make sense. He's this big, bad, guy with a lengthy criminal record for violent crimes, no legitimate income except disability, has medical conditions requiring heavy duty medications, lives in subsidised housing, does not work or pay taxes, yet has trucks, cars, motorcycles, and other expensive toys he is not afraid to flaunt. He sells drugs, in which many people are aware, can afford trips to Phillipines and is a domineering, selfish, egotistical, bonehead with no moral character or integrity whose feeding off everyone elses hard earned money, by scamming the system..Tell me how in the ** was he able to sponser her? How did he prove his income? CR-1's require alot of background work. They are often in AP for long periods of time. If all this is true, he would have been flagged for sure. And then during the whole waiting time...when the OP discovered his so-called friend was a buster...he and the cousin should have made sure she knew everything. He says they pleaded wth the family for her not to marry him...To me thats on her then. If she knew what the possibilites might be, and she still went ahead with it, then it is her problem to get herself out of it. If she was taking a chance, she should have had a plan B. I believe theres way more to this story than is being told. And no one can give an opinion on half-truths, cuz it wont be vaild. I think they all had ulterior motives. Cuz this story sounds too ridiculous.

But to stay with the topic...based on this "story" I would say the OP and wife should take in the cousin. Help her get the help she needs.(talking to a counselor, attorney, USCIS, etc.) Keep her from the husband if thats what she wants.(police report, restraining order etc.) And help her start a new life. If the husband starts #######, then start blowing the whistle on all his scams, and get his azz in trouble.

But my true opinion is that there are 3 sides to every story...Hers, his, and the truth!!!!

And every single person, both USC and SO has to keep in the back of their mind that this might not work out in the end. Especially if you are only spending very little time with the person u are marrying. It goes both ways. There is a business of people buying and scamming their way to the US. People just have to be smarter in there decisions. See the red flags instead of ignoring them. Any immigration fraud situation has both people to blame on some level. And both will usually suffer as well, but moreso the one who has the most to lose! I think the cousin needs to do some self-reflection, and decide if all this is worth trying to stay in an unknown place, with little support. There is always, churches, womens groups, social services, etc. that could help...and these same places could help her get a ticket back home too. It all depends what her intention are and/or were in the first place. Who was using who? Did he want a submissive wife he could order around and control? Did she know of this and still marry just so she could get to the US? Its a very interesting scenerio....with lots of questions unanswered without having all sides of the story!

Peace, Love, and Happiness (F)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

me personally from the first post felt he braught the friend purposley to meet the cousin and bring her here. i think there was fraud right from the begining. i agree with bombay...ive seen fillipeano's latch on to any tom, ####### or harry for personal gains.

im not saying all filipenos do but ive seen some. some are truely in genuine relationships of course like gary and luz. u can see love between them.

Edited by Donna A

me personally from the first post felt he braught the friend purposley to meet the cousin and bring her here. i think there was fraud right from the begining. i agree with bombay...ive seen fillipeano's latch on to any tom, ####### or harry for personal gains.

im not saying all filipenos do but ive seen some. some are truely in genuine relationships of course like gary and luz. u can see love between them.

I agree with you Donna A. It is really sad that sometimes people are like that..

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

This is what baffles me also.How was he able to sponsor someone with that kind of track-record ? :blink:

Very simple. IMBRA doesn't prevent the USC from bringing over a foreign bride.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

All i can say is this looks like a MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE ,

the guy wanted someone who would be like his slave and just stay home and work and clean dishes

the girl accepted the deal for her ticket to the US thinking that would probably be what she would have to do

but in the end it turned out to be that she gambled on the wrong guy and in her early post she is worried about her next petition

and since this didnt work out she will do it again and somehow fulfill her american dream.

It sounds really harsh but if anyone ever goes on yahoo in a chatroom there will be a million messages from such women who are intreasted in you cause ur profile says UNITED STATES and in a few minutes the girl will ask will you marry me .

She has not even seen ur picture for gods sake and wants to get maried in chatting with you for 5 minutes.

Because of such people, the people who are actually in love have to suffer the long wait and have to produce so much paperwork cause there are thousands of applications where love has nothing to do with their marriage.

once again im sorry for saying all this but it is the truth. as far as the girl is concerned i really feel sorry for her also that the marriage didnt work out but i think she should be safe and alive away from that guy in this country or go back home and start a new and happy life.

best of luck and god bless.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.