ILoveTan

To hire a LAWYER or not to hire a LAWYER...that is the ???

37 posts in this topic

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
How many people used a lawyer for their K1 applications?

Really would like to hear from everyone but especailly those who filed K1 in Vietnam

THANKS!

Linda *crazy in love* with Tan her Vietnamese Man :luv:

You dont need a lawyer. Save your money for the future and travel to visit your lover. The lawyer do the same like us ( your case is in order but emergency) Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi, I almost used an attorney, but after reading through the forms and the wonderful advice on this site, decided against it. Save your money and use that to pay for your K-1 Visa (which cost me $455 total). It's quite simple to do on your own. Good luck to you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I would suggest reading and studying the guides before you make a decision. Its not too hard to do if you have all your ducks in a row :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

We did not use a lawyer. The lawyer I spoke to wanted $2000 for the K1 application, and the another $1800 for the AOS later on...

I just studied (alot) on VJ and also on the USCIS website and the embassy website for Thailand. If you're willing to put the time into studying, its not that difficult of a process (in our case, which was what VJ would probably consider a somewhat straightforward case).

Luckily, because the process is so slow, you'll have plenty of time to study on how this process works :)

Peace and good luck on your journey!

Mark-N-AAm

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Personally I would only hire a lawyer if specific circumstances arise or your case is more complicated than usual. I was going to use a lawyer (my friend is one) but I have learned way more here on VJ than a lawyer probably could teach me. Plus its your love life, your marriage, not your lawyers. Hes not going to care about it as much as you will. But I agree there can be some complications and other situations that can arise where it is advisable to get a lawyer.

My Visa Journey

Removal of Conditions

03/11/11 - Sent I-751

03/14/11 - I-751 Received

03/14/11 - NOA

04/13/11 - Biometrics

05/31/11 - Approved!

06/04/11 - 10 Year Green Card Received!

AOS

07/13/08 - Wedding

08/13/08 - Sent AOS

08/19/08 - NOA for AOS and EAD

11/21/08 - EAD Received (100 days)

04/14/09 - Interview (224 days)

04/25/09 - Green Card Received!

I-129F

09/13/07 - Sent I-129F

11/06/07 - NOA1 (54 days)

02/04/08 - NOA2 (144 days)

04/16/08 - Interview! (216 days)

04/29/08 - Visa delayed.

05/12/08 - Visa on hand! (242 days)

05/20/08 - US Entry

hvV4m7.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Unless you personally have problems organizing yourself or completing paperwork, I think that it's just as easy to do it yourself with the guides on this site. I didn't even have the guides on this site. They make the paperwork very easy to understand. The guides on this site, primarily give you advice on how to do things to make the process easier. I say skip the lawyer and use the money for something else. It's not a cheap process without paying someone to fill out papers for you. Lawyers can't do anything to expedite the process or find out additional information.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Other Timeline

Folks,

I really don't want to sound like a meanie here, but HCMC is a whole 'nother ball of wax compared to the consulates most of us pass through.

It sure enough would not hurt anybody going through that consulate to at least have an attorney consult. But it should definitely be with one who specializes in HCMC.

Yes, it's that bad.

Peace,

Becca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
How many people used a lawyer for their K1 applications?

Really would like to hear from everyone but especailly those who filed K1 in Vietnam

THANKS!

Linda *crazy in love* with Tan her Vietnamese Man :luv:

You can do this K-1 thing yourself. Unless you have some very serious issues in your background, you do not need to pay a Lawyer. Save the money and upgrade her engagement ring or something!

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It would have never crossed my mind. Unless you have some very special circumstances, hiring an attorney does nothing but drain funds better spent on yourselves and your future together. An attorney stands in the same line we do, with no time savings what so ever. The paperwork is far from complicated if you can read and follow instructions. Have a question? There are tons of folks here that are in your same shoes.

Too many here have tossed hard earned money on overpriced useless attornies. Do not feed the lawyers. It only keeps them strong causing them to breed out of control and further weakening us.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

We didn't use a lawyer. There doesn't seem to be anything hard about the K-1 Visa foms. However, I think I should definitely have used a lawyer for the Adjustment of Status part. My husband still hasn't received his green card yet.

Timeline:

March 22, 2005 - Sent in Petition for Fiance Visa (i-129f)

March 29, 2005 - Had to resend petition (insufficient stamps)

April 8, 2005 - Attempt #3 sending Petition (is there an unknown conspiracy against me? i put $3 worth of stamps and it's returned to me)

April 21, 2005 - Received Receipt for k-1 visa (NOA #1) receipt was dated 4/11/2005

May 2, 2005 - Received NOA #2 (finally these people are getting their act together)

May 12, 2005 - Found out that NVC sent in my petition and all that good stuff to Korea on May 4, 2005 (i can't express into words how happy i am)

June 16, 2005 - Looked up our case number online to check our interview date..and our number was there!!!

Our case interview will be on July 14th 2005!!!

July 14, 2005 - Interview. and it was a....SUCCESS!!!!!

July 21, 2005 - My fiance and I are in the US of A FINALLY!! We have 90 days to get married.

September 21, 2005 - Coincidentally, we got married exactly 2 months after.

September 23, 2005 - Starting the Adjustment of Status and EAD process.

GOOD LUCK ALL!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Save your money! The lawyer will only do what you are capable of doing - filling out forms, and submitting documentation. A lawyer will not be able to speed up the process.

Wish you the best.

To answer your question - I did not use a lawyer when I filed K-1.

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Filed: Other Timeline
It would have never crossed my mind. Unless you have some very special circumstances, hiring an attorney does nothing but drain funds better spent on yourselves and your future together. An attorney stands in the same line we do, with no time savings what so ever. The paperwork is far from complicated if you can read and follow instructions. Have a question? There are tons of folks here that are in your same shoes.

Too many here have tossed hard earned money on overpriced useless attornies. Do not feed the lawyers. It only keeps them strong causing them to breed out of control and further weakening us.

Do you have this in notepad so you can copy and paste it?

This post is about HCMC!

It's gonna be the same piece of cake for this woman to get her I129F petition approved as it is for most of us. Yeah, the paperwork is relatively simple. The bar is also extemely LOW to get that far along in the process.

Get this thing over to the consulate and it's a completely different kettle of fish! If you don't believe me, hustle your little self on over to the Regional Forum. Troll around for about 10 minutes and you will see what I mean.

This consulate is so tough - as I mentioned above - that there are practioners of the law who focus solely on this consulate. One guy I can think of is highly respected. He is published in AILA and ILW journals both in print and on the web. And he's MARRIED to a woman from HCMC. He's hardly what I would call a shark or 'breeding' to weaken us - whatever the heck that means anyway.

YOU may have the opinion that an attorney is not necessary for cases. But that doesn't make you right, across the board, to make those kind of sweeping categorical statements. Especially when your opinion could adversely affect someone's case.

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.