goose182

Not Living Together After I Arrive

49 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't view it as a red flag at all, given the fact that your wife is also a student. Why? The easiest way to look at it is by reversing the situation. Just for a minute consider that Mike's wife's residence is her "temporary school address" since she is juggling a full time job and 60 hours of course work for her Masters and Mike's prorposed soon-to-be residence would be there permanent address, when she is done with her Master's. Would that seem to be so reprehensible to you or to USCIS?

I agree with mermaid and a few others who have posted here. I have to say it though, what is with all the judgement? This guy is trying to do things the right way for himself and his wife. All too often you see a thread here posted by someone who is being judged by others about their relationship with someone from another country - then this guys asks a simple question and he gets the same here.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, OP! I think you phrased your original post a bit poorly. To me, it's clear that you want to start your marriage on the "right foot" so to speak -- you want every chance for things to work out, and you're trying to overcome some of the marriage-ending hurdles that many international couples face.

But you kind of worded it as a "wait and see" thing, which is pissing people off. (Ignoring the handful of "the traditional marriage is the only kind of marriage" crazies in this thread, of course.) Personally, I think what you're doing is really sweet. I know a lot of independent, working women who suffered a lot because they jumped too quickly into living together with another person after spending so many years living alone.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

...It seems to me that if this was the route you were planning to take, a fiance visa would have been the better option as it allows for this.

I've never heard of anyone entering on a K1 and renting an apartment for 90 days prior to the wedding, but perhaps someone out there has....

I could def seeing this as more common than we think. Especially, if people have reglious concerns about living together before being married.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

I don't view it as a red flag at all, given the fact that your wife is also a student. Why? The easiest way to look at it is by reversing the situation. Just for a minute consider that Mike's wife's residence is her "temporary school address" since she is juggling a full time job and 60 hours of course work for her Masters and Mike's prorposed soon-to-be residence would be there permanent address, when she is done with her Master's. Would that seem to be so reprehensible to you or to USCIS?

It doesn't make sense to be married AND live in the same city and NOT live together. Many married couples do live apart, but not when they are in the same location. Maybe one month in the beginning, that I would think might be ok, but 6 months living apart, in the same city? That doesn't make sense. Not trying to judge your situtation, just trying to think how USCIS would react.

Lifting Conditions

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

well, our answers and responses are based on the limited facts given to us. I don't think any of us have the right to judge the marriage, the relationship or it's sanctity. if we were told that this is for religious reasons, this is a somewhat arranged marriage, or something like that, the response would be based on that.

while i'm not saying your situation is any of the above, truth of the matter is the american/canadian laws are designed to cater to the conventional north american beliefs. even in the (supposedly)orthodox cultures, people usually live together AFTER they get married and then take it slow.

whatever your reasons for doing this, you asked us if this looks fishy, I still maintain that it does and it will to an immigration officer. the duration of this would abviously matter as well. if you're saying a week to a month, may not be a big deal. if longer, then sure. in addition, any paperwork you complete during of after moving, you have to taint the truth and indicate not 2 but one combined address.

wishing you all the best....

Filed: Timeline

It doesn't make sense to be married AND live in the same city and NOT live together. Many married couples do live apart, but not when they are in the same location. Maybe one month in the beginning, that I would think might be ok, but 6 months living apart, in the same city? That doesn't make sense. Not trying to judge your situtation, just trying to think how USCIS would react.

Well in higher education, for example, it is not uncommon for a person that is preparing for his or her PhD to have to really cram and get ready for the review. I personally know of quite a number of people who practically "lived" in their carel at the library or in their office in their department for the last month or more. Typical family day-to-day activities were supended until after the dissertation was completed. Why is that so hard to understand? The OP and his wife are at a stage in her studies where she is holding down a fulltime job and putting in 60 more hours per week with her Masters. If you consider there are only 168 hours in a week, and 100 of hers are spent studying and working, out of necessity (not choice), then that would only leave 9 hours a day for sleeping and other day-to-day requirements. I doubt anyone would choose to have all this going on when their spouse finally arrives and they want to spend time together. It's just a matter of the timing of events. I think it sounds like a very nice gesture for him to opt to live alone for a month or so, while she gets some of these other tasks underhand.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Why is that so hard to understand?

It's not hard to understand. I'm just saying from the eyes of the USCIS, it doesn't make sense to live apart in the same city! I did my masters and had to write a thesis and we did live apart, but only because my university was not in our city. Had I went to a univesity in our city, then we definitely would've lived together. I'm not saying that is the only way, but the USCIS is def going to think something is up.

Even in the movie Greencard, they lived in the same apartment :)

Lifting Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Doh! There are people out there who are married and live celibate lives. People who are married who live separately. People who are forced to live under both those conditions whilst they await visas. It is not our place to judge anyone else's relationship and each of these examples might well involve couples who love and respect each other very much.

I am sorry that the OP has had his motivations questioned despite the fact that he outlined in his original post the precise reasoning for considering this option.

I am sure the OP can eloquently explain his reasons for living temporarily apart from his wife at any AOS interview. It might possibly make things difficult if the interviewer is as judgmental as some on VJ but given that it is only a temporary arrangement whilst his wife completes her studies or gets used to having him around again I'm sure they will make a convincing argument for their choice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

In love, married, but aren't ready to live together-??? Not marriage by my definition and a huge red flag in this process. It just reeks of visa fraud.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Everyone is saying the we should not be judgmental, but is that not what USCIS will be?

Better to be prepared for the worse than to kid yourself. In my years of investigation I would be very suspicious because this is exactly the way people committing fraud act. If I were an immigration agent and I found out about this you would have a hard time proving to me that it was not fraud.

I foresee a difficult time ahead for you...

On a side note, you better get that mortgage document in both names if you are going to be pumping money into the house.

M.

IR-1 Visa, I-130

Consulate: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Marriage: 2002-02-02

DCF:

Interview: 2008-04-02

POE: 2008-04-11

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's one thing saying the OP might have an issue with USCIS and another saying his relationship is not up to much. The former is helpful, the latter unnecessary.

Mike, as the OP of this thread, you can always ask for it to be closed if you have received the information you were looking for... ;-)

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya got to do whats best for yourself, simple as that!! Dont worry what others have to say,they have no clue who you are, etc etc etc!!

Sorry, not a lot of "real" helpful info here, but a short tiem apart is probably not a big deal!! Now if one spent months and months apart, ya, "maybe" that could raise a few flags, but who really is to say me? A RN student, nope,lol

Good luck in your decision, and nice to see someone thats not rushing into things.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

For this rather bizarre question, you might want to get the opinion of an immigration attorney. They will probably give you the "legal" answer to your question.

All you're doing here is bending all of us out of shape.

Our Story so far...

K-1

7/26/07- I-129F sent to CSC

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/12/08- Interview in Rio- APPROVED!

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

3/04/08- AOS, EAD and AP mailed

4/07/08- RFE

4/11/08- AOS, EAD and AP re-mailed

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

11/07/08- Greencard Approved!

11/22/08- Greencard Received

Gabriel was born on January 12, 2010!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.