goose182

Not Living Together After I Arrive

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

hello !! one of the requisitions is to prove that u are living together they asked u for bils in comon and etc u gotta prove with bills that u and her live in the same house!

pcitures etc etc!

it will be a MAJOR problem if u dont!

good luck

Hi All,

Some background: Married to my wife (she's the USC) in October 2006 (so less than 2 years). I've filled out and submitted both the I-129f and the I-130 applications and they are currently being processed at the CSC.

On to the reason for this topic: After I arrive on my K3 visa, is there any policy that says that I must live with my wife in the US for the duration of my stay in order to retain my visa status?

It seems odd I'm sure, but we want to transition slowly into living together after such a long time apart by starting with just being in the same city and...well...dating each other again I guess you could say. She has a full time job and does 60 hours of coursework/class getting her masters on top of that and isn't sure that she can deal with the stress of me just immediately moving in to her house after such a long separation. We miss each other very much of course, but we don't want to rush into this as it's a very big step. We have lived together before briefly, but it seems like so long ago that we want to ease back into it...

So I was wondering if I'd send up any red flags if I was to rent an apartment for the first 6 months of my stay on my K3? Is there any policy that says that we must reside at the same address for the entire time or risk termination of my visa?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

:thumbs:

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
It is definitely a red flag.

However, this is a quote I came across, which may help your situation:-

Examiners usually want to see persuasive documentary evidence that the couple has been living together since getting married (or they have a very good reason for living apart), and that they have commingled their financial affairs.

Whether USCIS will see "taking things slowly" as a "very good reason for living apart" would be up to the interviewing officer.

If you think you can sufficiently prove the co-mingling of finances etc without living together then, yes, it is possible. If you are intending to have completely separate lives, other than "dating", that will be an issue for you.

It seems to me that if this was the route you were planning to take, a fiance visa would have been the better option as it allows for this.

That's a great quote. Thank you for adding that! We intend to co-mingle our finances completely. I'll be contributing to her mortgage payments and bills even if I wind up having another residence. We certainly won't be having separate lives and I regret adding that sentence about "dating" as it has obviously been misconstrued. In all honesty, even if the separate residence does happen, we'll most likely be fully living together inside of a month...I just want to make sure that that one month won't screw up my AOS later on.

Thanks for the help and best of luck on your London interview in a few days!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi All,

Some background: Married to my wife (she's the USC) in October 2006 (so less than 2 years). I've filled out and submitted both the I-129f and the I-130 applications and they are currently being processed at the CSC.

On to the reason for this topic: After I arrive on my K3 visa, is there any policy that says that I must live with my wife in the US for the duration of my stay in order to retain my visa status?

It seems odd I'm sure, but we want to transition slowly into living together after such a long time apart by starting with just being in the same city and...well...dating each other again I guess you could say. She has a full time job and does 60 hours of coursework/class getting her masters on top of that and isn't sure that she can deal with the stress of me just immediately moving in to her house after such a long separation. We miss each other very much of course, but we don't want to rush into this as it's a very big step. We have lived together before briefly, but it seems like so long ago that we want to ease back into it...

So I was wondering if I'd send up any red flags if I was to rent an apartment for the first 6 months of my stay on my K3? Is there any policy that says that we must reside at the same address for the entire time or risk termination of my visa?

Mike

BASED ON WHAT I'VE REMEMBERED FROM FILING IR-130--- YES---- "QUESTION NO. 18. Address in the United States where your relative intends to live."_______________________.

AND SINCE YOU ARE A K3 VISA HOLDER , AND STILL YOUR IR VISA PETITION IS STILL PENDING, DO YOU THINK THEY WONT INVESTIGATE ??

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well, I kind of see the point. It is very stressful to move to another country all by itself.

But, in the end, it was what you stated you were going to do by marrying and then filing K-3.

I'd say it would be a huge red flag too.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Mike...hi :)

You are from Canada, no?

I suggest going down and visiting her a few times before you are issued your visa.

Like the others, it seems very odd that you wouldn't want to live with your own wife after moving down there.

Didn't you know her that well when you got married?

Believe me, there are couples that would kill to be as close to the U.S. as us Canadians.....take a trip down there or have her come up and spend some more time together....you are married!!!!

You have to prove that you have an ongoing relationship at the interview....a few more trips would help support that evidence.

I wish you the best.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline
Well, I kind of see the point. It is very stressful to move to another country all by itself.

But, in the end, it was what you stated you were going to do by marrying and then filing K-3.

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I see it a little differently. My marriage to my wife was me making a promise to love & honor our relationship for the rest of my life. The filing of the K-3 certainly indicates my desire to come to the US and be with her. It's obviously best if we can live together straight away, but if our chances of success would be dramatically improved if we lived under different roofs for a month, shouldn't I do that? Shouldn't the most important thing be the marriage itself? It is to me and I'll do whatever I can to improve our chances - as long as it doesn't jeopardize my visa altogether...which brings us back to why I posted here in the first place.

Mike...hi :)

You are from Canada, no?

I suggest going down and visiting her a few times before you are issued your visa.

Like the others, it seems very odd that you wouldn't want to live with your own wife after moving down there.

Didn't you know her that well when you got married?

Believe me, there are couples that would kill to be as close to the U.S. as us Canadians.....take a trip down there or have her come up and spend some more time together....you are married!!!!

You have to prove that you have an ongoing relationship at the interview....a few more trips would help support that evidence.

I wish you the best.

Hi Laura. From Canada yes...but currently living in London, England. We have visited each other a half dozen times over the last 15ish months and I intend to visit again in a few months. We were married after being together for a little over 2 years. Proving the ongoing relationship will not be a problem. Proving a co-mingling of finances once I arrive will not be a problem. Thanks for your reply and all the best to you as well.

I think I need to reframe this request for information because people are focusing on the wrong details.

I think I need to reframe this request for information because people are focusing on the wrong details.

The only reason I asked the questions that I did is because simply, I hate seeing things not work out for people because of mistakes!

I hope that you work everything out.

Happiness and luck to you Mike!!!! :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

...It seems to me that if this was the route you were planning to take, a fiance visa would have been the better option as it allows for this.

I've never heard of anyone entering on a K1 and renting an apartment for 90 days prior to the wedding, but perhaps someone out there has....

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think you are worrying too much (about USCIS). :devil:

You have to have all your mail and documentation sent to your wife's address and you can get a short term lease for yourself. Ask around, you may be able to find a month-to-month accommodation, or somebody traveling, who needs/wants a house-sitter for several months (that's even better option, try Craig's list to find a place).

Intended address on I-130 is not a serious promise. My husband moved from one rental apartment to another during NVC stage. So what. I just filed a change of address form with USCIS.

As for living with your spouse - well, sometimes people live in two places at once. It happens. I live in France and in US at the same time. I have two residences. I have my reasons, but this is also a situation that will only several months. You can live in two residences in the same city. Who is going to check where you spend the night?

I think your consideration for your wife's feelings is admirable.

Rika

Hi Laura. From Canada yes...but currently living in London, England. We have visited each other a half dozen times over the last 15ish months and I intend to visit again in a few months. We were married after being together for a little over 2 years. Proving the ongoing relationship will not be a problem. Proving a co-mingling of finances once I arrive will not be a problem. Thanks for your reply and all the best to you as well.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

sorry to be judgemental, but this situation is a red flag all around.

as to your question about "is there any policy that says that I must live with my wife...", see the definition of the word 'marriage' on wikipedia, a dictionary or something similar. the meaning is inherent in the word and does not require US immigration interpretation.

Marriage or wedlock is an interpersonal relationship (usually intimate and sexual) with governmental, social, or religious recognition.

I don't see "must occupy the same physical space" anywhere in that definition, but obviously what you're implying is that a marriage can only exist when two people live together. But I'm married now and we're thousands of miles away from one another...how does that factor in? What if, because of work, I had to live separately from my spouse for a few months out of the year...would that immediately nullify our marriage? What if a family member got sick and I had to go home for several months...same thing?

In my experience, everything is open to the interpretation of US Immigration.

:thumbs: I have friends who are in managerial roles in the company I work for.... he lives in Texas, she lives in Michigan. They've been making a long distance marriage work for the better part of 8 years now. Granted, they do not have immigration ####### to deal with, but their marriage (with kids) is happy and healthy.... going on 20 years... Many married couples deal with separation for job opportunities, higher education, etc... doesn't mean their marriages mean anything less to them than those who never leave each other's sides. A couple has to do what's best for them (and their children) and that definition of what's 'best' is a very personal one.

Let's stick to discussing red flags and how to minimize those, without suggesting fraud, and leave the judgments of what's right/wrong out of the equation.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

The only reason I asked the questions that I did is because simply, I hate seeing things not work out for people because of mistakes!

I hope that you work everything out.

Happiness and luck to you Mike!!!! :)

Thanks Laura. That remark wasn't directed at you but more to the thread as a whole. I appreciate your suggestions.

Timeline
I think you are worrying too much (about USCIS). :devil:

You have to have all your mail and documentation sent to your wife's address and you can get a short term lease for yourself. Ask around, you may be able to find a month-to-month accommodation, or somebody traveling, who needs/wants a house-sitter for several months (that's even better option, try Craig's list to find a place).

Intended address on I-130 is not a serious promise. My husband moved from one rental apartment to another during NVC stage. So what. I just filed a change of address form with USCIS.

As for living with your spouse - well, sometimes people live in two places at once. It happens. I live in France and in US at the same time. I have two residences. I have my reasons, but this is also a situation that will only several months. You can live in two residences in the same city. Who is going to check where you spend the night?

I think your consideration for your wife's feelings is admirable.

Rika

This is helpful...and I suppose you're right I am just worrying too much about USCIS. As long as I can prove the ongoing relationship and the finances - which I can - I should be fine. Thanks for your contributions and for setting my mind at ease Rika...much appreciated!! :thumbs:

Timeline
:thumbs: I have friends who are in managerial roles in the company I work for.... he lives in Texas, she lives in Michigan. They've been making a long distance marriage work for the better part of 8 years now. Granted, they do not have immigration ####### to deal with, but their marriage (with kids) is happy and healthy.... going on 20 years... Many married couples deal with separation for job opportunities, higher education, etc... doesn't mean their marriages mean anything less to them than those who never leave each other's sides. A couple has to do what's best for them (and their children) and that definition of what's 'best' is a very personal one.

Let's stick to discussing red flags and how to minimize those, without suggesting fraud, and leave the judgments of what's right/wrong out of the equation.

Jen

Thanks for your support Jen!!! :thumbs:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
...we sure have some weird couples over here...

This judgment was unnecessary. Every couple has to define what their marriage relationship is going to be.... just because you have one way of looking at things does not make it the right way, or the only way...

I personally applaud the OP for considering his wife's feelings and lifestyle... perhaps easing into being together full time is the best way for them to ensure a successful start. How can anyone here judge that, or question why he got married in the first place? All he was asking was whether it would raise any red flags....

Yes, it might. But they can be mitigated and the situation can be explained.... especially if living apart is only temporary. The use of a single address for all correspondence is definitely something I would advise.

How many couples on here have reported the dissolution of their relationship because the lifestyle change was too abrupt and they could not adjust? At least the OP is considering this.

VJ sheesh.

things are a lot more simple over here, where marriage still actually means something

dd/mmm/aaaa

05/jun/2007 - Got married

I-130

08/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet sent to NSC

09/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet received

19/sep/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

25/sep/2007 - NOA1 arrived

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on March 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-130 was approved in 258 days.

I-129F

09/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet sent to CSC

10/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet received

12/oct/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

20/oct/2007 - NOA1 received

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on April 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-129f was approved in 197 days.

NVC

08/may/2008 - replied to my e-mail sent on april 30, saying that our petition has been sent to the consulate.

Consulate

20/JUN/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

AOS

18/mar/2009 - Packet delivered

24/mar/2009 - NOA for AOS and EAD date

25/mar/2009 - Check cashed

15/apr/2009 - Biometrics done

22/may/2009 - EAD approved

Filed: Timeline
Hi All,

Mike

I don't view it as a red flag at all, given the fact that your wife is also a student. Why? The easiest way to look at it is by reversing the situation. Just for a minute consider that Mike's wife's residence is her "temporary school address" since she is juggling a full time job and 60 hours of course work for her Masters and Mike's prorposed soon-to-be residence would be there permanent address, when she is done with her Master's. Would that seem to be so reprehensible to you or to USCIS?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.