BigCityDave

Can I get some advice? Nobody in my family will be a co-sponsor

59 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
Which means what a June or July interview ? You can do it...

Yeah, exactly what I was going to say. And you can even ask the consulate to move your interview out a month or two if you really need to.

What if I can increase my income in my current jobs? I can work full time in my jobs right after the semester.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
What if my parents loaned me the money so I could have enough in assets??

One thing to keep in mind, they want historical proof of those assets - one could assume they do this so that people don't just temporarily borrow the money from someone and put it in their bank account (from the I-864):

The sponsor must submit in duplicate evidence of income and resources, as appropriate:

A. Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institutions where you have deposits, identifying the following details regarding your account:

1. Date account opened; 2. Total amount deposited for the past year; 3. Present balance.

Liquid assets count ie. investments, savings etc. Things like a house / motorbike do not.

I'm not familiar with the I-134 - but with the I-864 you can use an appraisal on your house - is this not true with the I-134?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Which means what a June or July interview ? You can do it...

Yeah, exactly what I was going to say. And you can even ask the consulate to move your interview out a month or two if you really need to.

What if I can increase my income in my current jobs? I can work full time in my jobs right after the semester.

Whatever... you need to show current earnings capacity first and foremeost... whether that comes from current employers or a new one, the end goal is the same.....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline
Well it sounds like you'll be ok. Just pad a savings account, get a loan, or sell something this summer.

So getting a loan from my parents would not work to help with the assets? I would get assets and have a liability on accounts payable for that asset.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Timeline
All good advice. You'll get it figured out, and you'll be reunited with your sweety. You need to make a few sacrifices, but you'll be fine. Stay focused and don't panic. Mose importantly, take a breath and relax. It will all work out. :)

I am just so worried without a definate plan in place. I am just doing my best to resolve the issue of not having a co-signer. I really appreciate all the help here. You have no idea how much it means to me.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: Other Timeline

*blows whistle*

Time out people.

Dave -

First of all - How stringent is the Hungarian consulate about the affidavit of support and it's requirements? Have you researched this? If not, please do.

Secondly - READ the instructions for the I134, which is the affidavit you must submit. Then come back here and tell me what it says about minimum income requirments.

Thirdly - We are bandying a bunch of stuff about here, and some of it pertains to the I864. Let's handle the I134 right now.

Timeline
*blows whistle*

Time out people.

Dave -

First of all - How stringent is the Hungarian consulate about the affidavit of support and it's requirements? Have you researched this? If not, please do.

Secondly - READ the instructions for the I134, which is the affidavit you must submit. Then come back here and tell me what it says about minimum income requirments.

Thirdly - We are bandying a bunch of stuff about here, and some of it pertains to the I864. Let's handle the I134 right now.

I know a couple who filed for the DCF in Hungary and they required the Affidavit of support so I figured the same would be applicable to me.

I am jus trying to solve this issue so I have something to go off of in the future. I figure better planning now then right when I get the NOA2. I just need to know what I need to do to resolve this issue. If I understand correctly, I need to do both things.

1. Work hard to increase my income in my current jobs. (I am working two)

2. Increase my assets via savings.

-Is it possible to have my parents help me towards assets via loans?

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Aww, Dave, if you want to 'solve the issue' you need to arm yourself with knowledge and information!!

You're about my sons age, I think, so I'm gonna talk to you like I would him........... :P

Go to your room and do what I told you above - first. Then maybe we will be able to have a reasonable conversation about how to solve your problem.

Edited by rebeccajo

Thank you for stopping the train from going way off track. :)

*blows whistle*

Time out people.

Dave -

The Hungarian consulate is not as stringent as some I've seen. They require the I-134, showing 100% of poverty level income for size of household. I included a tax transcript (official from the IRS) for the most recent year I had available, 2006, along w/ my employment letter and some pay-stubs. That's it, and we were never asked for anything further on that end...but then my income was no way near the danger level either. :unsure:

The I-134 requires 100% not 125%....and it is not as legally binding as the I864 is. BCD, your family is not willing to co-sponsor, which is their right...but if you are not able to meet the financial requirements at this level, how will you do it a few months after your fiancee gets here, when you have to submit the AOS w/ the more stringent I-864 Affidavit of Support. You will need to be employed full time, w/ documentable income which is 125% above the poverty level for that year.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Paul -

Thank you for your input. But let's not 'spoon feed' Dave here - he needs to learn to research and stand on his own two feet with this!! :P

Seriously - what you had to say about the Hungarian consulate is very valuable. Dave needs to read other accounts from this consulate - some can be located in the consular review section of this website.

The reason Hungary doesn't require 125% is because 125% isn't required of any consulate utilizing the I134 - not by law. That's why I asked Dave to actually read the instructions for the I134.

I still want to Dave to come in here and tell us his understanding of the financial requirements from what he reads off the form instructions.

And the I134 isn't only not as binding as the I864 - it's not legally binding at all. I864 is the document that contractually binds the sponsor to the US government, not the I134. So anyone acting as 'co sponsor' with an I134 has absolutlely no legal liability whatsoever.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For the record (as I did quote the bank assets info from the I-864).

Here is the - pretty much identical - bank asset info from the I-134

A. Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institutions where you have deposits, identifying the following details regarding your account:

1. Date account opened;

2. Total amount deposited for the past year;

3. Present balance.

Edited by trailmix

*blows whistle*

Time out people.

Dave -

I know a couple who filed for the DCF in Hungary and they required the Affidavit of support so I figured the same would be applicable to me.

I am jus trying to solve this issue so I have something to go off of in the future. I figure better planning now then right when I get the NOA2. I just need to know what I need to do to resolve this issue. If I understand correctly, I need to do both things.

1. Work hard to increase my income in my current jobs. (I am working two)

2. Increase my assets via savings.

-Is it possible to have my parents help me towards assets via loans?

You need to do one or both of those two things. If your income is at the 125% mark by interview time, you are good. If not, it seems you are close, and will need to have liquid assets to account for 3 times the difference, which might only be around $5,000 (you can do the math closer to find out how much you need). If you can show enough sitting in a bank account, that's all you need. How you got the money there doesn't matter, so parents, a loan from the bank, or anything will be fine. Calm down, wait until you're closer to interview, and see where you stand.

If you can't get money from your parents or anywhere else, a bank probably won't hesitate to give you an unsecured personal loan. For what you need, you'd be looking at probably around $300/month payment. USCIS/embassy doesn't look at your expenses or credit, just income and assets.

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.