BigCityDave

Can I get some advice? Nobody in my family will be a co-sponsor

59 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

I have one friend I was doing co-sponsor for her marrige, because her husband didn't make enough money. At that time she was here in US. From co-sponsore I was only showing my recent income and tax returns for 3 years (copyes), no bank statments or anything else was required. I know she was doing all her papers with the lawer. I guess to protect my self I asked her for a letter verifyed with notary that she won't ask for financial help from me if something happend. I know her lawer made this letter for her. Also maybe you can offer your friends to pay some money for this like $300-$500. See maybe this way your friends can help you with co-sponsoring.

10/22/08 => Package sent to USCIS

10/29/08 => NOA received for I-485 / I-765 / I-131.

11/04/08 => Biometrics appointment letter received

11/18/08 => Biometrics done

12/24/08 => Approved EAD

01/05/09 => Recived EAD

12/24/08 => Approved AP

01/02/09 => Recived AP

02/24/09 => Interview

02/24/09 => Approved I-485

03/09/09 => Received Green Card

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have one friend I was doing co-sponsor for her marrige, because her husband didn't make enough money. At that time she was here in US. From co-sponsore I was only showing my recent income and tax returns for 3 years (copyes), no bank statments or anything else was required. I know she was doing all her papers with the lawer. I guess to protect my self I asked her for a letter verifyed with notary that she won't ask for financial help from me if something happend. I know her lawer made this letter for her. Also maybe you can offer your friends to pay some money for this like $300-$500. See maybe this way your friends can help you with co-sponsoring.

No legal!

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi,

No legal!

Um. No.

Hi,

Financial help is kind of the purpose of a sponsor... :blink:

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes maybe you right is not legal, but I'm not a lawer I don't know that. In her case was different she could suport her self she was working here, but her status here in US.... And I think if you trying to bring somebody here in this country even you don't make enough money, you should completly be responsible for this financialy and not hopping that if you have a co-sponsor it will suport you. It's just my tought, somebody can think different then me.

10/22/08 => Package sent to USCIS

10/29/08 => NOA received for I-485 / I-765 / I-131.

11/04/08 => Biometrics appointment letter received

11/18/08 => Biometrics done

12/24/08 => Approved EAD

01/05/09 => Recived EAD

12/24/08 => Approved AP

01/02/09 => Recived AP

02/24/09 => Interview

02/24/09 => Approved I-485

03/09/09 => Received Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Hey everyone,

Well, I am starting to lose hope that this is really going to work out. The fact of having a co-sponsor is just something that will not fly with anyone in my family. Nobody is willing to help me out saying it is high risk. I guess it is true what they have to say, but I am left pretty much hopeless now. Even though I may be working two jobs, my income is only about $14 - $16,000 a year. I have no idea what I can do. Its not like I have assets worth of a million dallors. I am a hopeless college student in love with someone whom I can't even be with if I wanted to. I just don't know what to do. If any of you have any ideas, please, give me some insights. I am really at the bottom now.

Here is a quote from the U.S Department of State's web site. You assets have to make up 5 times the difference you are short, not 3 times. 3 times is only for spouses and immediate family members. If you are applying for a K1 visa you are not married.

What Cash Value of Assets is Needed?

To be counted, the cash value of assets must equal five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty line for the household size. For example, a petitioner/sponsor with a household size of four and an income of $18,000 would need assets equal to five times the difference between his/her income and the income required for a family of four at the current federal poverty guidelines level. He/she would also need to show evidence of mortgages, liens, and liabilities against the assets. The cash value of assets required is different for these sponsors:

Sponsors of immediate relative spouses and children of U.S. citizens must only show assets in the amount of three times the difference between the poverty guideline and actual household income.

Sponsors of foreign orphans who will acquire citizenship after admission to the United States need only prove assets in the amount of the difference between the poverty guideline and actual household income.

You can read the information and more yourself by going to the following link . . .

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html

10-17-2006. I-129F filed.

10-19-2006. NOA1

01-25-2007. NOA2

02-12-2007. NVC notification saying petition is approved.

05-11-2007. Packet 3 received.

05-14-2007. Packet 3 forms sent.

06-16-2007. Packet 4 received.

07-03-2007. Medical examination.

07-10-2007. Interview. Passed!!!!

07-12-2007. Received visa.

07-18-2007. Applied for Marriage License.

08-04-2007. Fan arrives in the United States.

08-08-2007. Married.

08-24-2007. Applications for AOS, EAD, and Advance Parole.

08-30-2007. NOA for AOS.

09-07-2007. Applied for SSN.

09-18-2007. NOA for EAD and Advance Parole.

09-20-2007. Received SS card.

10-05-2007. Received appointment date for biometrics.

10-23-2007. Received Advance Parole.

11-02-2007. Biometrics.

11-06-2007. AOS transfered to CSC.

11-07-2007. EAD approved.

11-16-2007. EAD card received.

12-06-2007. AOS approved.

12-14-2007. Green Card Received in mail.

09-05-2009. I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence sent.

09-16-2009. NOA and biometrics appointment received.

10-13-2009. Biometrics.

10-26-2009. USCIS email. Approved. Card production ordered.

10-29-2009. Approval notice, dated 10-26, arrives in mail.

11-02-2009. Green Card arrives in mail.

Filed: Other Timeline
Hey everyone,

Well, I am starting to lose hope that this is really going to work out. The fact of having a co-sponsor is just something that will not fly with anyone in my family. Nobody is willing to help me out saying it is high risk. I guess it is true what they have to say, but I am left pretty much hopeless now. Even though I may be working two jobs, my income is only about $14 - $16,000 a year. I have no idea what I can do. Its not like I have assets worth of a million dallors. I am a hopeless college student in love with someone whom I can't even be with if I wanted to. I just don't know what to do. If any of you have any ideas, please, give me some insights. I am really at the bottom now.

Here is a quote from the U.S Department of State's web site. You assets have to make up 5 times the difference you are short, not 3 times. 3 times is only for spouses and immediate family members. If you are applying for a K1 visa you are not married.

To be counted, the cash value of assets must equal five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty line for the household size. For example, a petitioner/sponsor with a household size of four and an income of $18,000 would need assets equal to five times the difference between his/her income and the income required for a family of four at the current federal poverty guidelines level. He/she would also need to show evidence of mortgages, liens, and liabilities against the assets. The cash value of assets required is different for these sponsors:

Sponsors of immediate relative spouses and children of U.S. citizens must only show assets in the amount of three times the difference between the poverty guideline and actual household income.

Sponsors of foreign orphans who will acquire citizenship after admission to the United States need only prove assets in the amount of the difference between the poverty guideline and actual household income.

You can read the information and more yourself by going to the following link . . .

SWA2 -

The link you put up is for the I864 used in processing immigrant visas.

Dave will be dealing with the I134, used in processing non-immigrant visas.

Now I will ask you the same thing I asked Dave. What do the instructions on the I134 say about sufficiency of income?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

DO NOT GET OUT OF SCHOOL! You'll regret this decision and it's much harder to go back to school than you think at the moment.

Even if you do you will have to wait a year before you can prove that your income is above the poverty line and if you ask me just wait until you're done with college before even trying to apply. The wait is LONG for him to get his adjustment of status and employment authorisation once he enters the US. Medical insurance is astronomical if your job does not provide your spouse with medical insurance (like most student jobs do) and trust me having to pay for all the immigration based costs alone such as the medical, advance parole, adjustment of status etc are more than a student can afford. If your family and friends are not accepting to co-sponsor they definately have reason to. If they are ok with loaning you money however for you to make the poverty line then good luck and I hope that all works out well. With regard to the poverty line it changes depending on what State you live in so make sure you're getting the correct information.

K-1 Visa Service Center : California Service Center ; Consulate : Belgium

2007-04-18 = I-129F Sent

2007-05-14 = I-129F NOA1

2007-08-10 = I-129F NOA2

2007-09-17 = Consulate Received

2007-09-18 = Packet 3 Received

2007-09-19 = Packet 3 Sent

2007-09-19 = Packet 4 Received

2007-09-24 = Interview Date

2007-09-24 = Visa Received

2007-09-28 = US Entry

2007-11-10 = Marriage

Processing Estimates/Stats : I-129f was approved in 114 days from your filing date. Interview took 159 days from your I-129F filing date.

Adjustment of Status CIS Office : Las Vegas NV

2007-11-23 = Date Filed at Chicago lockbox (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-07 = RFE(s) IRS tax forms

2007-12-21 = Biometrics Appt.

2007-12-23 = Met with an immigration lawyer who told us how to prove income without IRS tax forms

2008-01-10 = NOA reciept of RFE at Lee's Summit, case processing resumed

2008-03-24 = Interview Date (cancelled but we will still be going)

Pending : Approval / Denial Date, Got I551 Stamp, Greencard Received

Employment Authorization Document CIS Office : Chicago National Office; Filing Method : Mail; Filing Instance : First

2007-11-23 = Date Filed (priority date)

2007-11-29 = NOA Date

2007-12-21 = Bio. Appt.

2007-12-21 = Touche

2008-02-12 = Card production ordered

2008-02-13 = Touche

2008-02-15 = Approval email

2008-02-19 = Card Received

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hey everyone,

SWA2 -

The link you put up is for the I864 used in processing immigrant visas.

Dave will be dealing with the I134, used in processing non-immigrant visas.

Now I will ask you the same thing I asked Dave. What do the instructions on the I134 say about sufficiency of income?

RJO is on the right track here. Dave needs to do his homework and then get whatever help is needed to devise a viable plan. It sounds to me like the I-134 and visa are doable with just a little prudent planning and without any immediate withdrawal from school.

Ongoing plans for making ends meet once the fiance arrives, will take some more thought and planning and probably some sacrifice. People do this all the time. Dave is surrounded by examples of how young married people manage family finances while attending college. My wish would be others hold off on their advice until Dave comes back with his completed homework. Then let's take things a step at a time from that starting point. The shotgun approach will just confuse him.

And, let's remember this is "Visa Journey" not a place "parental advice about life and marriage" unless specifically asked for.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
RJO is on the right track here. 8<...

Sure was a lot more fun around here when you guys fought. :devil::innocent:

Don't make me get out my switch.......... :lol:

Done some homework, two questions arose and I have yet to find the answer. I am working on this, but these are a little tricky and I would like to know if any of you have some input.

I have read the I- 864 and read the I-134 and the guides that go with them. Two questions arose that were not addressed in either the guides or the instructions provided.

1. Does the Co-Signer get hurt financially when they go to apply for a loan or what not just because they co-signed? What kind of effects does this have on them besides being obligated to support the immigrant financially?

2. As far as the household are concerned. I live with my parents, does that mean I am at 3 members in the household on the poverty line?

Thank you, and I will continue to find these answers on my own.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
RJO is on the right track here. 8<...

Sure was a lot more fun around here when you guys fought. :devil::innocent:

Don't make me get out my switch.......... :lol:

Done some homework, two questions arose and I have yet to find the answer. I am working on this, but these are a little tricky and I would like to know if any of you have some input.

I have read the I- 864 and read the I-134 and the guides that go with them. Two questions arose that were not addressed in either the guides or the instructions provided.

1. Does the Co-Signer get hurt financially when they go to apply for a loan or what not just because they co-signed? What kind of effects does this have on them besides being obligated to support the immigrant financially?

2. As far as the household are concerned. I live with my parents, does that mean I am at 3 members in the household on the poverty line?

Thank you, and I will continue to find these answers on my own.

I'm glad you read the instructions. I would advise against interpreting any other way than literally. In your "homework" you never saw the word, "co-signer". Words mean things. Change the word, you change the meaning. The words in the instructions were chosen for good reasons.

Please focus on the I-134 now and the I-864 later, so you don't confuse the two.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Well, according to the I-864 the Household size would be me and those who are dependent.

Meaning I need to be making $17,112 in order to meet the poverty guideline standards. I am falling short of this.

Lets say I make only $14,000 a year, for example. Well as stated in the FAQ, I should meet the difference by 5 times in assets. So I would therefore need $3112 times 5 which is equal to $15,560. That is the amount in assets I would need in order to meet the guidelines. Is that doable in my case? Yes I can have that much in assets, and I might even be able to increase my income up to $15,000 or close to $16,000.

Now this is just general understanding from what I have read. I am still in need of answers and will continue to do research. From what I understand, in my situation it is still very possible to get my K1 visa accepted.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.