davidm1982

Setting a marriage date whilst waiting for the visa

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi folks,

I hope that everyone is having a good (and not too frustrating) visa experience. I was hoping for some guidance, wisdom and experience. Myself and my fiancee are planning on sending off the I-129F and all the supporting stuff by the end of January. We want to set the date of our marriage before we get approved, so family and friends can book the time off work and get flights. We are thinking of November, but do people think this is too risky in terms of getting the visa by then? 6-8 months is the timeframe I have heard, which would take us up to the end of September for getting the visa. Just to fill people in on the situation, I am British, and there are no obvious difficulties (no divorces or the like) but as we have not used a lawyer there is always the possibility we have missed something somewhere! All advice appreciated.

Thanks, David

I would say dont plan anything.

We had a wonderful wedding and planned it during the time when I came here on my K1 Visa.

I would wait until you have it in your hand,after you recieve it you have 6 months time to enter the country anyway.That should leave you enough time.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hello there,

you and i are in similar situations it seems. we are also filing this january beginning of feb. i was thinking about what to buy what not to buy. i personally am not big on the whole white wedding dress thing i want something more personal and we are counting every penny. what i would like to know is , do you have the numbers, website addresses of any good shipping companies, i have a few things im going to have to send over to the usa, want to have a ball park price.

any suggestions??

we decided the only thing we are gonna plan b4 the visa is buying our clothes for the day. thats it

4650093_bodyshot_300x400_1285472169089.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi folks,

I hope that everyone is having a good (and not too frustrating) visa experience. I was hoping for some guidance, wisdom and experience. Myself and my fiancee are planning on sending off the I-129F and all the supporting stuff by the end of January. We want to set the date of our marriage before we get approved, so family and friends can book the time off work and get flights. We are thinking of November, but do people think this is too risky in terms of getting the visa by then? 6-8 months is the timeframe I have heard, which would take us up to the end of September for getting the visa. Just to fill people in on the situation, I am British, and there are no obvious difficulties (no divorces or the like) but as we have not used a lawyer there is always the possibility we have missed something somewhere! All advice appreciated.

Thanks, David

We have set a wedding date (August 2nd, 2008), but if his visa has not come through by that time, we will just have the ceremony, and technically get married at a courthouse later. My immediate family will know what is going on, but the majority of the guests will think that we are really getting married. That way, we can have the wedding day, and still be able to have time to plan ahead!

This is the best solution that we have found to this dilemma.

K1 Timeline

March 2006- Met on my Spring Break, started emailing/calling each other daily.

June 2006-Started dating.

December 2007- Started getting papers ready for K-1.

December 23rd, 2007-- OFFICIALLY ENGAGED!!

Late December- Mailed all of paperwork off to lawyer.

January 1st, 2008- Attorney mailed off first package.

January 16, 2008- Received package back because check was from Canadian account.

Mailed correct check immediately.

January 29th, 2008- CSC received package.

February 8th, 2008- Received our NAO1

June 5th, 2008- Received our NAO2 via email!!! yay

August 27th, 2008- Interview- APPROVED!!

October 11th, 2008- POE Blaine: Moving for GOOD!!!

AOS Timeline

November 3rd, 2008- AOS Packet received in Chicago

November 12th, 2008- Check cashed!

Yeah - I think you *should* be ok but I would take out wedding insurance (check the terms) and if you can get a venue that will allow a sliding date then that would be good too - of course that doesn't help your family booking flights.

Remember that once you get the visa you have six months before you have to enter the US and then you have 90 days before you have to marry - that is almost 9 months to plan a wedding and more than enough time for your family and friends to boko time off etc :)

I know it really sucks but sometimes it is best to play it safe - you never know what is going to sneak up behind you :P

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

We planned our wedding AFTER I got my visa. If you search, you'll find more than a few threads about people that planned a date for a wedding, and then didn't get a visa in time. I'd wait until you get that hot little visa in your hands! Your SO will then have up to 6 months to come to the US, and then, 90 days to get married, which should leave ample enough time for the small wedding you're hoping to have. By all means look on the internet and dream of the big day! It's fun to look at venues, and dresses, and how you'd like it to be, but I'd not book anything. Just my opinion.

carlahmsb4.gif

Yeah - I'm the result of being *coughs* super-organised :lol: We've come up with a contingency but it is less than ideal :P

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline

Yeah, I think from what you all say we will pencil in (very lightly) November, but be very clear in telling everyone (and ourselves!) that plans may change so not to book things. And definitely not to book lots of expensive wedding things, not that we were going to anywhere. Prima and Jay - unfortunately I don't know the contacts of shipping companies, I am only planning on bringing a little bit to start with (within the airline weight limit) and then when I am more established over there and we have some more money to ship some more stuff over (it is with in my parents' house and can stay there for a while!)

Thanks, David

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There is plenty of good advise already given. Just be careful, it is all a ####### shot and nothing begins to solidify until the beneficiary crosses the POE and hears, "Welcome to the U.S." Just keep everything loose! :thumbs:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

David, let me throw some good vibes your way: you joined VJ exactly 1 year after I did, my journey-including wedding- went smooth, so yours will too. :lol::thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
keep in mind that you might feel like having a nervous breakdown every day for several months ;)

That is the understatement of the year :blink:

K1 VISA

May 23, 2007 - I-129F mailed to NSC

June 05, 2007 - I-129F recevied at NSC

June 07,2007 - Check Cashed

June 13, 2007 - Touched

September 18, 2007 - Touched

September 19, 2007 - Touched

September 21, 2007 - NOA 1 Hard Copy by mail

October 25 - Aproved!!! NOA2 sent by mail

October 29 - NOA 2 Hard Copy rcvd by mail

November 28 - Letter from NVC, advising that is sending case to Brazil in 1 week

February 2008- enterview in RJ

March 12, 2008 - arrived in US

April 26, 2008 - Marriage

AOS

July 18, 2008 - Sent AOS documents

July 29 - Money Orders cashed

August 1, 2008 - Notification of Action from USCIS

August 21, 2008 - Biometrics

October 14, 2008 - Work Authorization Card in the mail

January 17, 2009 - RFE

January 30, 2009 - Sent Documents Requested on RFE

February 04, 2009 - Response to request for evidence received, and case processing has resumed

February 06,2009 - Card production ordered

February 10, 2009 - Approval Notice sent by mail!

Timeline

Thanks for the good vibes - lets hope they work! Good luck to everyone starting down the path (and those somewhere down it too), lets hope for lots of smooth and quick journeys. David

Timeline

I would probably say don't book anything but once i started the visa process we booked a wedding date, now i am waiting for approval and praying that i get the visa in time. Its a big gamble and i hope it pays off.

Its easy to say wait until you get the visa because you still have 7 months before you have to be married but its damn hard to wait for 7 more months when you've already been waiting for what seems like an eternity for the visa.

It is a risk but if you go for it then good luck.....to us both!

Jan 2006...Met my future fiance whilst in the US

Feb 2006...Began Dating

Aug 2007...Left the US to return to England

Sept 2007...Engaged to my Fiance

Oct 2007...Sent I-29F to USCIS

12th Oct 2007...USCIS receives I-29F

15 Oct 2007...NOA 1 Issued

10 Dec 2007...*touched*

12 Feb 2008...Approved!

05 Mar 2008...Packet 3 received

29 Mar 2008...Packet 3 returned

03 Apr 2008...Medical Exam

09 April 2008...Packet 4 received

25 April 2008...Interview

I have a tentative wedding date set, but before signing a contract or putting down a deposit, I made sure the venue would allow me to push the date back if need be. I know that many other couples here have done that, and the venues are usually pretty willing to work with them.

The other thing is you should really check the estimated processing times first to get an idea of what a realistic date would be. Unfortunately, they are slow as molasses right now, and 6-8 months sounds extremely optimistic. But if you are going through the Vermont Service Center and your consulate is one of the faster ones, maybe that is realistic.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Playing devil's advocate and assuming no visa is issued before the planned nuptials and we want to proceed with the wedding date, is there anything barring us from having my SO enter the country, get married and then start this stinking process over using a K3 visa when he goes home? I realize no one wants to start things over from scratch...but just thinking of ideas for a backup plan because I do have the dream of an amazing wedding.everything is good.

Yes, but as Laura said, you would have to start over. Another option if that happens would be to have a "wedding" without getting legally married. I know at least one couple did that. Jeremy and Kristy. I don't think I've seen Jeremy posting in a while.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Playing devil's advocate and assuming no visa is issued before the planned nuptials and we want to proceed with the wedding date, is there anything barring us from having my SO enter the country, get married and then start this stinking process over using a K3 visa when he goes home? I realize no one wants to start things over from scratch...but just thinking of ideas for a backup plan because I do have the dream of an amazing wedding.everything is good.

Yes, but as Laura said, you would have to start over. Another option if that happens would be to have a "wedding" without getting legally married. I know at least one couple did that. Jeremy and Kristy. I don't think I've seen Jeremy posting in a while.

Yes I saw that post today and I really like that option as well if things "fall by the wayside" up at good ol' VSC. We just want a traditional wedding surrounded by our closest family and friends. Great idea!

Our Timeline

11/14/2008 Wedding

3/27/2009 Conditional green card date

Lifting Conditions

12/31/2010 Sent package via USPS

1/6/2011 Package delivered

1/7/2011 NOA date

2/8/2011 Biometrics

10/28/2011 Approval notice

11/11/2011 Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.