davidm1982

Setting a marriage date whilst waiting for the visa

34 posts in this topic

Great posts everyone. I can definitely relate to the feeling like having a breakdown every day. Moving to a new country far away from family and friends, planning a wedding remotely AND going through the Visa process is a LOT to handle. Not being able to plan on definitive dates only multiplies the stress. I think most here can relate to that, especially when all we want is to just be with our loved one and get on with life. This process is just a bit of a speed bump that requires patience, perserverance and a dose of faith, but you will get through it one way or the other. Just keep going and make sure to lavish love on your sweetie every chance you get.

I got some good advice from Queen Jen to put that nervous energy to good use and start creating short lists of first, second and third choices for vendors so that once the visa is in hand, the invitations are ready to send the next day, and a list of phone numbers is handy to finalize the wedding plans. That way I can basically pull out my list and book my wedding in one day cause I've already done all the research and figured stuff out. Basically, I'm planning the entire wedding (100 people) now, just not confirming anything until I have the Visa in my hot little hand. I don't want to take the chance of loosing large deposits so will wait until I actually have the visa to make deposits. I figure by having multiple options laid out and by being flexible we can book a wedding even in high season. I also plan to be ready to cross the boarder within a few days of getting the visa, to be in the u.s. to finalize wedding plans.

But as someone else already said...it's just one day, albeit a special day. If you are the kind of person that needs the table cloths to match the bridesmaids dresses, you may be subjecting yourself to some unnecessary stress and frustration. By being flexible and resourceful you can still have a beautiful, well planned wedding while at the same time juggling the visa process.

As far as relatives/friends booking flights....we've told everyone the ball park the date that we're hopng for...July 12....but made them aware that it may be pushed back depending on when I get the visa. I'll be calling everyone as soon as I can after the interview so they can buy the flights and book time off work. But at least they know it's comming and are saving vacation days for it etc.

And yes, I've bought the dress already!!!! I'll be using the reciept as part of the proof of our relationship at the interview!

I find being busy workng on the planning helps with the waiting......plus it's great to feel excited and be looking forward to that special day rather than feeling depressed about the wait time.

Jul 15/07 Engaged!

Oct ??/07 - Lawyer sent in I-129F

Nov 6/07 - NOA 1 Date

Jan 18/07 - Waiting anxiously

Feb 17/08 - A touch!

Feb 29/08 - NOA 2 - Approved!

Mar 02/08 - Touched

Mar 03/08 - Touched

Mar 10/08 - Petition arrived at NVC

Mar 12/08 - NVC forwarded Petition to Vancouver Consulate!

Mar 28/08 - Received packet 3

Apr 7/08 - Sent Packet 3

Apr 14/08 - Medical!!

May 13/08 - Interview date YAHOO!

GOT THE VISA!!!!! MAY 14, 2008

July 6/08 - Crossed the border - they let me in!!

July 12/08 - Wedding day - it was perfect!

July 23/08 - Back from Honeymoon in PR - now onto AOS?!?!?!

Sept 3/08 - AOS package in the mail - what a headache!

Sept 9/08 - 3 NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

Sept 30/08 - Biometrics appointment for AOS and EAD

Nov 13/08 - Touch on AOS and EAD

Nov 17/08 - AP shows up in the mail

Nov 17/08 - EAD card production ordered

Jun 25/09 - Green Card Production ordered - Finally after 10 months!

June 30/09 - Received welcome letter!

July 10/09 - GREENCARD! - All done for a bit now!

May 20/11 - Sent in I-751 for removal of Conditions

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent them the engagement ring and wedding reception contract (and cancelled check) in our I-129F. I like to think that it helped our speedy approval, but that might just be a fluke. I plan on sending those abroad for the interview as well though.

PS - I didn't send them the actual engagment ring, lol. Just the receipt.

K-1 Timeline

Oct 5 07 - NOA1 issued

Jan 17 08 - NOA2 issued!

May 07 08 - VISA IN HAND!

Aug 16 08 - WEDDING!

View our complete K-1 timeline here!

AOS Timeline

Sep 08 08 - Submitted AOS/AP/EAD package

Sep 10 08 - Package received

Sep 12 08 - NOA for AP

Sep 15 08 - NOA for AOS

Sep 18 08 - Check cashed

Sep 25 08 - NOA for EAD

Oct 03 08 - AOS transferred to CSC!

Oct 08 08 - Biometrics for AOS/EAD

Oct 09 08 - AOS received by CSC

Nov 21 08 - AP approval notice sent!

Nov 29 08 - AP arrived in mail!

Dec 03 08 - EAD approval notice sent!

Dec 08 08 - EAD arrived in mail!

Mar 17 09 - Permanent Residence Approved!

Mar 25 09 - Green Card arrives in mail!!!

APPLYING TO LIFT CONDITIONS

Dec 17 10

View our complete AOS timeline here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Debs and I didn't finalize our date until I received my interview date. Now maybe we were still taking a risk at that stage but I felt that barring some kind of disaster at the interview, the visa was all but in the bag. It worked out fine, the interview went smoothly, the visa was issued promptly and I was on my way to the US within 2 weeks.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.