JoeCanuk

Strange things you're not used to

772 posts in this topic

oh forgot...

Refills....co-signing on what's been said already

Pancakes/pancake mix.....where I'm from pancakes are big thin and you cover them with chocolate spread, sugar, ice cream or jam. Certainly not butter and syrup, and what's with throwing fruit in there?? And whatever happened to flower, eggs and milk. Leave it to americans to make pancakes from a box.

The Pancakes....yes yes yes....here they call them Crepes although they aren't the traditional crepes, more like our Pancakes.

Now I want pancakes...not the American kind...

Angelika (Schweinfurt, Germany) and Chris (Tulsa, USA)

I-130

Aug 23 2005 - sent to TSC

Aug 25 2005 - received at CSC

Aug 29 2005 - NOA1 in mail

Jan 25 2006 - NOA 2 per email

Jan 31 2006 - Case # assigned

Feb 13 2006 - AOS Bill and DS 3032 received

Feb 14 2006 - AOS Bill paid and DS 3032 sent to NVC

Feb 27 2006 - AOS form and IV Bill issued

Mar 23 2006 - AOS and IV Bill sent to NVC

Apr 10 2006 - DS230 received and sent right back

Apr 28 2006 - case complete

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
one thing that bugs me is that in every store I am a different size. Some stores really vanity size and I'm like a 3. Others I'm a 6. Especially pants I cannot buy without trying them on first.

Back in the 1960s & earlier 1970s, one could count on consistency in clothing-sizes in the U.S., but not since then. I too must try on everything before I buy it. This is very likely because clothing is made in and imported from countries all around the world, where concepts of "sizes" differ. When I visit border towns in Mexico (which cater to American tourists) and want to buy a T-shirt, I now know to buy the larger size "up" from usual (no matter for whom I'm shopping) -- XL instead of L, for example. Therefore, just about all that we can do is to view the labeled sizes as a guide, and work from that point. This principle applies even to shoes!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On a visit to Ojinaga, Mexico (cool city, across from Presidio, Texas -- try to find it on the map), and without knowing a word of Spanish except for the crucially necessary "pollo," I managed to order and subsequently eat (in one sitting) a pollo entero (an entire roasted chicken) at Pollo Feliz. Question: Why is the restaurant named "Happy Chicken" if all of the chickens there are dead and are eaten, huh man? This quandary notwithstanding, it's said that each of us has 15 minutes of fame, and that was my 18 or 20 minutes thereof, si man.

Well what about El Pollo Loco? I mean - is it the poultry version of Mad Cow Disease???

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Well what about El Pollo Loco? I mean - is it the poultry version of Mad Cow Disease???

I think it means "The Crazy Chicken". :)

We have a local chain restaurant here by that name.

-Az Parris

Atlanta, GA

I think it means "The Crazy Chicken". :)

We have a local chain restaurant here by that name.

That's what I was getting at... :blink:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Timeline

I would rather eat a happy chicken than a crazy one, although whether they're happy vs. crazy after they're dead is open to conjecture.

I believe that in Nuevo Laredo (Mexico), I saw a pollo restaurant called "Pollo Loco."

Here's a crucial question for our newcomers: Of the various fried-chicken chain restaurants here in the Colonies, which is your favo(u)rite, and why? Which is your least favo(u)rite? Examples are: KFC, Hartz, Church's, Popeye's. There may be other regional chains. Si, man?

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Never tried El Pollo Loco actually :D Kinda like Church's :) But right now I am a Wendy's person cause I love their salads :D

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Never tried El Pollo Loco actually :D Kinda like Church's :) But right now I am a Wendy's person cause I love their salads :D

El Polo Loco is great.. every time we go the chicken is soo good.. and I love their mac and cheese...

although El Polo Loco is not really fried chicken it is marinated and then grilled... mmm yum..

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I am not yet in US but there are a few things which I observe talking to my husband and I find it weird.

You can get apartments which includes all utility paid! some even give free cable and internet! I was actually shocked knowing it, because out here in India when we rent out our apartments, the tenants have to pay their water and electricity and all the bills. I guess water and electricity charges are way low in US.

Another thing I find weird, may be its just my husband and not everyone, he buys all his week's groceries at one go, even the vegetables. I don't really enjoy to thaw veggies before making it(took him 2 hours once to thaw a cauliflower), and out here in India, we do every day shopping at evening, go to veggie market and buy next day's vegetables. So that freshness is a factor I will have to encounter.

Timeline
You can get apartments which includes all utility paid! some even give free cable and internet! I was actually shocked knowing it, because out here in India when we rent out our apartments, the tenants have to pay their water and electricity and all the bills. I guess water and electricity charges are way low in US.

In my experience (lifelong American), apartments that offered "all utilities paid" were more common perhaps 15 years ago than they are now. In Houston, where I live, there are very few such now. This is likely a function of supply and demand -- if vacancy rates are high, apartments will offer incentives to attract potential renters; if occupancy rates are high, there is no need for special incentives. Water charges (at least in my area) are reasonable, but electricity is terribly high. My electric bill this month for my 3-bedroom house was $224 -- oof! It was over $300 each of the last two months. Of course, the summer temperatures here have been rather steady at 95+ F. (35+ C.).

Another thing I find weird, may be its just my husband and not everyone, he buys all his week's groceries at one go, even the vegetables. I don't really enjoy to thaw veggies before making it(took him 2 hours once to thaw a cauliflower), and out here in India, we do every day shopping at evening, go to veggie market and buy next day's vegetables. So that freshness is a factor I will have to encounter.

It is quite reasonable that you would notice these differences. In my experiences outside the U.S. -- mostly in Mexico and Ecuador -- I have observed many more "specialty" stores (selling a particular, finite range of products) and fewer "hypermarkets" (large stores where you can buy everything from groceries to appliances to clothing to whatever). Examples of such large retailers in the U.S. are Wal-Mart, Super Target, and Super KMart.

I consider it a shame that there are so few "family" stores remaining in the U.S., in comparison with the rest of the world. There were more in past years (the 1960s and earlier). The concept of "mass retailing" -- offering many consumer items in one store, and in a chain of such stores around a city or the country -- combined with the economic principle of "economies of scale" -- meaning the more items that a store can buy from its suppliers, the cheaper the cost -- probably led to the slow demise of family-owned stores. When there is a story in our local newspaper about another family store going out of business, it is not uncommon to read this quote: "Wal-Mart (or Home Depot, or other big business) can sell products at retail for lower cost than we can purchase those products from our suppliers." It is sad, but true. I have NO training in economics, so others here can comment more meaningfully.

This is a roundabout explanation for why your husband (in typical American fashion) likely buys everything on one trip: because he can, because it's convenient, and because it's cheaper than shopping at several stores more often, unless there's good reason otherwise. Add to this the reality that Americans are always in a hurry, and the high gas (petrol) prices that discourage stopping at one store for one thing and another store for other things, and we can see the reasoning.

Regarding the vegetables, I can only conjecture that due to storage and preservation standards in U.S. stores, vegetables stay fresher longer than they might in other countries. I have never frozen fresh vegetables or even heard of that practice (I am a guy who has been single for a LONG time), so again, others can comment more meaningfully. I do know that proper refrigeration (versus freezing) will maintain the freshness of vegetables for a reasonable time.

You have asked some very good questions, and I hope that the above answers help a little. Please be encouraged to ask anything else.

Filed: Timeline

This isn't really "strange" but more of a "Hey, that's awesome." The grocery stores provide sanitary wipes at the entrance so you can wipe your cart of any germs on the handle. Now I get perturbed when the container is empty. :lol:

They also provide umbrella bags so you don't have your wet umbrella dripping all over the place.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Americans mostly do all their shopping in one huge go, because the markets aren't on every corner like they seem to be in most other countries. Its not as convenient to do shopping every evening on the way home from work. In the town where I live, everything is soooooooooo spread out its just crazy. The bank is on one side of town, the drug-store over there, and the grocery over there and so on and so on. Any neighbourhood I've lived in in Ontario, everything is all pretty much in one spot, grocery, drug-store, bank (at least a machine), and other shops. The way the town is set up here, is incredibly in-convenient, we have to drive all over the place just to get our weekly errands done. Its one of the major things that bugs me here.

Older, larger cities in the US are different of course, and set up with more of everything all together and within convenient reach of each other. But it seems newer towns and cities just kinda plop #### down wherever it lands and don't think about it, so that everyone is entirely dependent on their cars.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

This isn't really "strange" but more of a "Hey, that's awesome." The grocery stores provide sanitary wipes at the entrance so you can wipe your cart of any germs on the handle. Now I get perturbed when the container is empty. :lol:

They also provide umbrella bags so you don't have your wet umbrella dripping all over the place.

:lol: Well I have never seen the umbrella bags but then I am in Palm Springs so very rarely see umbrellas either!!

The wipes are awesome though - I don't care about wiping the cart cause Jeremy pushes it but it is nice to clean your hands and cool them off from the 110+ heat :D

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Timeline
The grocery stores provide sanitary wipes at the entrance so you can wipe your cart of any germs on the handle. They also provide umbrella bags so you don't have your wet umbrella dripping all over the place.

But, U.S. grocery stores don't sell moose brisket or deep-sea elk, proving yet again why Canadia (or whatever your country is called -- I draw a blank except for a dim recollection that it's like an Arctic western Kansas) is superio(u)r to the U.S., si man, eh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Years ago, I had a Canadian girlfriend, so I have a lot of good-natured cheap shots to share, si man, eh. :)

Edited by TBoneTX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.