JoeCanuk

Strange things you're not used to

772 posts in this topic

This thread has really cheered me up today! (I found out that my visit to the US has changed and I have to wait another 4 weeks. I know that I'm very lucky to get to see my love in 4 weeks... it's just the natural disappointment when the wait increases at last minute)

I also feel a little less pathetic.

James got home and asked me if I'd been cleaning the back-yard, and so I told him about my ordeal with the big hairy killer spider, and then told him I'd been cowering on the couch ever since, and I needed to pee, would he please carry me to the bathroom and check for bugs before he set me down?!

Hilarious!

They don't have huge spiders in MA (from what I've seen) but once we pulled into a gas station and I saw a long-legged spider run across the leg-area of the car. I screamed and the man filling our car looked in to wonder what was happening! Bill wasn't very impressed, especially when he got rid of it, only for me to find ANOTHER one as he was pulling out. I told him that id he didn't stop the car immediately, I was getting out... he had no choice but to pull into a parking lot and grab the other spider that was now on his leg!!

In case anyone is interested, I'm currently taking a degree in Psychology and for one of my studies last year, I tested spider fear in both men and women to see if there was a huge gender difference; and also tested the fear vs the size of the spider. It was as expected but I scored a B+ for it... the bigger the spider and the more female the victim = the more heart-stopping!!

Edited by Gemmie

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a fear of spiders etc .....I dont think we have any dangerous spiders in the UK - however whilst going about my business in the kitchen last winter I happened to see a spider, OH saw it too rushed to it and killed it... he explained it was a black widow and showed me the hour glass marking on it...now I treat every spider with extreme caution.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not used to being around hand guns. Not that they're everywhere, but in AK no one batted an eye lash if one was lying on the coffee table or something.

I'm not used to rats or cockroaches either. yuck.

Edited by cattattude

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yup cockroaches are creepy dont like them either

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Cockroaches bother me too. There are so many creepy crawlies in Louisiana and I don't handle these things well. I am also horrified of frogs- we have a pond in the backyard and we get tons of them. They are so loud too. I'm ok with lizards though.

I have been treated a few times here for reactions to bug bites- they get really big and swollen and develop a red streak. All these reactions have been on my arms. The last time it happened the clinic I usually go to was closed for the day so I went elsewhere. The Doctor was a nasty man and he kept snapping at me and saying they were not bug bites. So I don't know what the heck to think.

I don't like getting bitten and wondering who's bitten me! Had a few mosquito bites but also ants and spiders... there's a lot of hungry wildlife here in TX!

--------------------

(Full timeline in profile)

25th May 07 - Sent I-129F to TSC

17th December 07 - Interview- APPROVED! :)

17th May 08 - Got married!!!!! :)

18th June 08 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago lockbox

3rd October 08 - Green card in hand!!

26th August 10 - Sent I-751 to VSC

31st August 10 - NOA1 from VSC

10th January 11 - I-751 approved!

14th January 11 - 10-year green card in hand!!

22nd April 23 - N400 submitted online; NOA available in USCIS account immediately
6th November 23 - Interview; approval same day
28th November 23 - Oath ceremony scheduled

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

its not really strange but im used to eat rice all the meals.. its weird..:D big streets..its funny up to now i think im still in a dream..

😁

I get bad reactions to bug bites as well - I haven't been too bad so far this time round but in the past it has been dreadful and the only thing that helps is bathing the bitten area in ice water...

I also didn't realise we get tarantulas.... Ok so I think we are safe... maybe... in the desert but we were talking to friends in AZ who get them in the house and everything... that is just too creepy...

We did see a king snake in the parking lot of the court house while we were away though - that was pretty cool :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Invasion by another Yanqui interloper:

Texas certainly is a far cry from London. It lacks the diversity, history, rain :lol: and its just not cosmopolitan.

Them's fightin' words, li'l darlin'. :bonk: "No diversity?" There are nearly as many Mexicans in Mexico as there are in Texas. "No history"? Was England ever its own country, like Texas was? "No rain"? Have a hurricane or two with your spot of tea. (If they're named after guys, then they're himmicanes.) And, finally, we (or at least most magazine-racks in stores) are Cosmopolitan. Si, man.

Other items of note:

Spiders: It amazes me how women can take boiling-hot wax, pour it onto their inner thighs, rip out hair by the roots, and still be afraid of a spider.

Cockroaches: In Texas, their minimum length is 6 feet (convert to metric), and it's a matter of life or death -- you or them.

Story: A Texan, vacationing (uh, "on holiday") in rural Vermont for the first time, stayed in a cabin. It was summertime, and the night temperature was 70 F. (convert to C.), so the Texan decided to sleep with the windows open in order to enjoy the brisk, cold air.

During the night, a fox disturbed four chickens that were roosting nearby, and they flew into the cabin, squawking and flapping. The half-asleep Texan swatted at them with his hands until they flew back outside, and he fell asleep again.

After returning home, the Texan called one of his buddies, and said, "And, Ah saw only four mosquitoes the whole time, and they was LITTLE ones!"

North America: How did Canada get its name? C-eh-N-eh-D-eh.

VJ-hood: It's good to see where my favo(u)rite British & Canadian ladies are hanging out these days. Si, man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Texas certainly is a far cry from London. It lacks the diversity, history, rain :lol: and its just not cosmopolitan.

Them's fightin' words, li'l darlin'. :bonk: "No diversity?" There are nearly as many Mexicans in Mexico as there are in Texas. "No history"? Was England ever its own country, like Texas was? "No rain"? Have a hurricane or two with your spot of tea. (If they're named after guys, then they're himmicanes.) And, finally, we (or at least most magazine-racks in stores) are Cosmopolitan. Si, man.

Other items of note:

Spiders: It amazes me how women can take boiling-hot wax, pour it onto their inner thighs, rip out hair by the roots, and still be afraid of a spider.

Cockroaches: In Texas, their minimum length is 6 feet (convert to metric), and it's a matter of life or death -- you or them.

Story: A Texan, vacationing (uh, "on holiday") in rural Vermont for the first time, stayed in a cabin. It was summertime, and the night temperature was 70 F. (convert to C.), so the Texan decided to sleep with the windows open in order to enjoy the brisk, cold air.

During the night, a fox disturbed four chickens that were roosting nearby, and they flew into the cabin, squawking and flapping. The half-asleep Texan swatted at them with his hands until they flew back outside, and he fell asleep again.

After returning home, the Texan called one of his buddies, and said, "And, Ah saw only four mosquitoes the whole time, and they was LITTLE ones!"

North America: How did Canada get its name? C-eh-N-eh-D-eh.

VJ-hood: It's good to see where my favo(u)rite British & Canadian ladies are hanging out these days. Si, man.

TB you always crack me up - good to see you popping in to say hi in your special little way :lol: How are things with you now? Please tell me that things are finally sorted out?!

As for the boiling hot wax... uh-uh, not me - I am not that crazy and really am just a big wuss :) Razors will do just fine, although shaving in a shower is prolly just as painful as waxing :blink:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Why, thank you, Dear. Shaving works both ways. As a mid-teenager, I was wild to start shaving. My dad, who was normally very understated, took me by the shoulders and said, "Son, if you never listen to anything else I ever say, hear me now: PUT IT OFF, as long as possible." I wish that I'd listened, si man.

Are things out-sorted? Well, I am counting no chickens until C.'s visa is IN HAND. I will post no review whatsoever of the organized, congenial, truthful, fair, respectful, making-me-proud-to-be-a-Yanqui consulate until C. is safely and completely INSIDE the U.S. (probably October). This should speak volumes; see signature for an inkling.

Speaking of chickens ("pollos" in Mexico & Ecuador, si man), get a load of this very cool website: http://www.pollofeliz.com

On a visit to Ojinaga, Mexico (cool city, across from Presidio, Texas -- try to find it on the map), and without knowing a word of Spanish except for the crucially necessary "pollo," I managed to order and subsequently eat (in one sitting) a pollo entero (an entire roasted chicken) at Pollo Feliz. Question: Why is the restaurant named "Happy Chicken" if all of the chickens there are dead and are eaten, huh man? This quandary notwithstanding, it's said that each of us has 15 minutes of fame, and that was my 18 or 20 minutes thereof, si man.

Otherwise, my Spanish is so proficient that when I proudly and carefully enunciate "Soy hecho en Ecuador" ("I am made in Ecuador"), the Ecuadorians (and the Mexicans, too) immediately and helpfully point the direction toward the restroom. Uh, si man.

As a mere Colonist who has spent his life here across The Pond, I am hono(u)red to be in the august (next month, the septembral) presence of so many lovely, gracious Britannica-Americanas, si man. Anyone from anywhere who wants insights on U.S. stuff, including topics even more crucial than spiders, roachcocks, and pollos, is welcome to inquire, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hope you don't mind another US citizen poking his nose in here. :)

My wife (Russian) was astounded by "all you can eat" restaurants. Chinese buffets especially. She loves those.

For her, one of the things that still gets to her (after being here almost 3 years) is how (in general) American women just don't take care of themselves. She will dress nicely and put on makeup, even if all we are doing is going to Wal-Mart or some such. She'll see some dumpy American chick wearing a ratty t-shirt, stained sweat pants, and houseshoes while we are out, and just cannot fathom allowing herself to be seen in public like that.

For a while, I kept trying to get her to find some Russian friends (there is a rather large Russian community in the Atlanta area), but she refuses. Pretty much says that she doesn't want to have anything to do with them. I find it odd, but ok...

As for the recycling thing - dunno about elsewhere, but it is included in our trash pickup service. *shrug*

And, being in a large metropolitan area such as Atlanta, there's plenty of food choices besides "southern fried". :) Lots of farmer's markets, and international markets. We can even get some of her (and my) favourite Russian beer here. :devil:

Thanks for the entertaining reading...I always find it fascinating to see how others view us "Yanks". :thumbs:

-Az Parris

Atlanta, GA

well there are just amazing things here in the US.

one thing that bugs me is that in every store I am a different size. Some stores really vanity size and I'm like a 3. Others I'm a 6. Especially pants I cannot buy without trying them on first.

Not having the metric system throws me off...the system here makes no sense at all. 12 inches in a foot? why not 100 cm in a meter instead? Much easier. Also, Fahrenheit...I can't figure it out

How about fried food (in the south). If you get fish at a restaurant, there is more breading than fish on it.

Also, vegetables at the supermarket...not so fresh sometimes...my fruit goes bad after 1 1/2 days every time.

Fake friendliness...my biggest issue. Everyone seems so nice at first and "oh my gosh, we need to hang out sometime" but never mean it. If I say let's do something I mean it...Grrrr....drives me nuts

Angelika (Schweinfurt, Germany) and Chris (Tulsa, USA)

I-130

Aug 23 2005 - sent to TSC

Aug 25 2005 - received at CSC

Aug 29 2005 - NOA1 in mail

Jan 25 2006 - NOA 2 per email

Jan 31 2006 - Case # assigned

Feb 13 2006 - AOS Bill and DS 3032 received

Feb 14 2006 - AOS Bill paid and DS 3032 sent to NVC

Feb 27 2006 - AOS form and IV Bill issued

Mar 23 2006 - AOS and IV Bill sent to NVC

Apr 10 2006 - DS230 received and sent right back

Apr 28 2006 - case complete

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

TB - as a TX-living London-born Brit, this really made me laugh!! :lol:

Fake friendliness...my biggest issue. Everyone seems so nice at first and "oh my gosh, we need to hang out sometime" but never mean it. If I say let's do something I mean it...Grrrr....drives me nuts

Yup .... I don't like this either. Also, saying "I love you guys" to a group of friends, or saying someone is your bestest buddy when you've only known them five minutes....

--------------------

(Full timeline in profile)

25th May 07 - Sent I-129F to TSC

17th December 07 - Interview- APPROVED! :)

17th May 08 - Got married!!!!! :)

18th June 08 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago lockbox

3rd October 08 - Green card in hand!!

26th August 10 - Sent I-751 to VSC

31st August 10 - NOA1 from VSC

10th January 11 - I-751 approved!

14th January 11 - 10-year green card in hand!!

22nd April 23 - N400 submitted online; NOA available in USCIS account immediately
6th November 23 - Interview; approval same day
28th November 23 - Oath ceremony scheduled

Also, tax added to the price posted. Can't stand it. You never know how much stuff actually is unless you shop with a calculator, know all the different % of tax for different stuff or are a math genius...

Angelika (Schweinfurt, Germany) and Chris (Tulsa, USA)

I-130

Aug 23 2005 - sent to TSC

Aug 25 2005 - received at CSC

Aug 29 2005 - NOA1 in mail

Jan 25 2006 - NOA 2 per email

Jan 31 2006 - Case # assigned

Feb 13 2006 - AOS Bill and DS 3032 received

Feb 14 2006 - AOS Bill paid and DS 3032 sent to NVC

Feb 27 2006 - AOS form and IV Bill issued

Mar 23 2006 - AOS and IV Bill sent to NVC

Apr 10 2006 - DS230 received and sent right back

Apr 28 2006 - case complete

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.