FEW

Interview Problem. I'm so confused.

60 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Which just reminded me of another interview review I read in the Canada forum once, I believe the beneficiary was a biologist and his wife did something similar.

They were both at the interview and I remember her commenting on how the CO quizzed them about their jobs and asked some strange questions (like who needs a (insert type of biologist here) biologist in Iowa - or wherever they were going to live in the U.S.).

It just seemed strange to me (and to them) because normally they just say something like - so what are you going to do for work? They actually had him explain in some detail what he does, which wouldn't be really meaningful to a person who isn't a biologist!

Anyway, they did get the visa that day - can't remember who the member was though.

that was me. FEW and I have been pm'ing it seems like we had the same guy at Montreal. he never asked for a CV though, just why someone would want to hire an archaeologist in NM. then he did ask me (the USC) about my research in enough detail that I had a little flash back to my comprehensive exams. He had no idea if what I was saying was correct, it just seemed that he was checking to see if I really was a microbiologists?? I'm the USC, why my job had anything to do with the interview is beyond me.

ha, I didn't read the rest of the replies to see that this info is already in the thread.

Edited by thermophile

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hi,

I think this is a 221 g just the way I was in a soup. I think you will get it just give them what they want And submit the passport with it, I think you will be fine.

Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

Timeline
hi,

I think this is a 221 g just the way I was in a soup. I think you will get it just give them what they want And submit the passport with it, I think you will be fine.

Jigi

Hi Jigi. What is a 221 g? It seems from what I've read online that the 221(g) refusals are usually issued for non-immigrant visa's, and can be used for additional administrative processing in cases where the consular officer thinks that the information in the petition is invalid. In particular, it seems to apply when the alien can't prove strong ties and plans to return to their home country.

Oh, and they didn't ask me for my passport. They told me to keep it (and I've already submitted my CV electronically).

I also found the following:

http://www.family*based*immigration.com/fo...thread.php?t=90 (sorry for chunking that up with asterisks, but it was being ***removed*** during the post submission process.)

Which suggests indeterminate 'background checking' steps after there is 'missing and incomplete information that must be submitted and then rechecked'. Which seems odd for them to ask for a new piece of information that's not required in the original petition (and is already partially explained in the biographical sketch), and delay based on it.

I found another (very poorly formatted) forum that discusses this general topic. http://www.infozee.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=36751

It linked to a pretty well assembled page: http://www7.nationalacademies.org/visas/Tr....html#P107_5588

According to them:

Scientists and students will most likely experience delays due to a security review process known as Visa Mantis which is required for applicants with a background in one of the sensitive technologies on the Technology Alert List. The Visa Mantis review is not a new procedure. However, the number of applications being reviewed overall has increased significantly, leading to delays in the processing of applications.

Technology Alert List?!? http://greencardlawyers.com/answers_for/Vi...essing/tal.html

They say that they will get involved in cases where the review is still pending 20 days after the initial interview. Likewise, they say to contact the consulate after 2 months, and that it can also help to contact sponsoring institutions (perhaps the university & company where I'll be working count?).

Apparently there are programs called 'visas mantis', 'visas condor', 'visas donkey' and so on which are used to funnel scientists & engineers through extra intra-agency screening steps after the consular review. Yikes. This sounds like a long and arduous process. ( http://travel.state.gov/law/legal/testimon...timony_797.html )

Is this what the crack that you think I've fallen into?

Thanks,

FEW

Edited by FEW

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi FEW,

I have been reading all the messages and it seems really strange that they asked about your CV. I am as well an Analytical Chemistry Ph D, plus I did my post-doc in the US (that was before getting married and going back to Spain for 4 years) and they never asked me at the Embassy for my CV. I recall there was a question somewhere about ocupation and previous jobs... but that should not matter either. They did ask me though at the interview what my job was and but I was planning to do in the US, but they did not seem to care. I think you will be fine, good luck and keep us posted!

Kitten

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yes a CV is resume to the rest of the world.. strange the U.S. would adopt a french word after renaming french fries 'freedom fries'

how about 'history of personal freedom '

I would have thought the U.S. would want expert scientists to find those WMD's that are in Iraq somewhere rather than hindering their immigration

If a British born Pakistani youth without a PHD can make superb bombs that will blast a train off the rails in London, I don't think having a phd in 'sexuality in carrots ' is a danger to 'the finest country that has ever existed in the history of the world' (quote Fred Thompson presidential candidate)

Perhaps the officer is a Citroen 'Deux Chevaux' (CV) fan and thought you might have one to sell as in 'where is your CV'

Sounds daft to me - I would have asked him what aspect of it he was interested in so you could expand on it ...

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Hi Alan,

I agree. It doesn't make much sense overall. One would think that having a public scientific record would make it easy for them to screen the people with dangerous research out without going through strange dragnet programs. I was in the process of explaining my research when he cut me off and asked for my CV. When I said I didn't have it, he told me that this would cause a delay. I offered to give him a variety of other documents I had on hand, but he was no longer interested in anything but my CV. I think that he was confused by it all, and decided that it was easiest to send me for extra security processing. Oh the joys of having an education and being a contributing member of society.

No messages from the consulate yet. My email inbox is now a beacon of hope for me, and unfortunately it's not shining very brightly.

About those 'superbombs', as far as I remember they mostly didn't go off properly, and the terrorists mistakes saved lots of British lives (rather fortunate). I agree with you insofar as PhD research probably wouldn't aid anyone in creating such devices. If anything, a long course of study in close contact with lots of interesting and reasonable people would most likely make extremists moderates and solve the problem culturally.

The whole situation does seem rather daft. I still can't believe the ridiculous naming system for the screening programs. (Visas Mantis, Visas Condor, Visas Eagle Condor, and Visas Donkey Condor) They're like something from the Naked Gun or Police Academy movie series'.

Thanks for the support!

FEW

If a British born Pakistani youth without a PHD can make superb bombs that will blast a train off the rails in London, I don't think having a phd in 'sexuality in carrots ' is a danger to 'the finest country that has ever existed in the history of the world' (quote Fred Thompson presidential candidate)

Sounds daft to me - I would have asked him what aspect of it he was interested in so you could expand on it ...

Timeline

For those who are interested, I've scanned and uploaded a copy of the paper that the CO gave me before I left.

Scanned Form

Notice that nothing was checked off, he just highlighted the email address.

It was all so very strange.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I am not an expert on 221g but your letter does not look like ones I have seen on VJ. It might be they need to do further background check because of your situation (being scientist, etc). I have no advice but good luck & hopefully it does not take long!

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Timeline

It seems like the Visa Mantis (and other Visa Critters) program applies mainly toward non-immigrant visa applicants, specifically F visa holders. I don't think that it applies here.

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

this is the same form I got at the interview but the address was highlited instead and I was supposed to mail the passport along with the missing documentation along with a prepaid expresspost envelope. as the others suggest, they will probably dig further into your professional background, unless there is an ethnic caveat here as well.

That does sound like a remote possibility. He was in the same general age range as I am, maybe he didn't think it was possible to get a PhD by 28? (He was probably between 28-32 years old) But my wife is also a PhD student. Why would we lie about both being PhD students in Chemistry? :huh:

It's easy enough to verify: I even had official university confirmation of student status letters with me that I'd gotten for each time I've visited my wife in the states. I specifically asked him if there's anything else he needed or that I could show him ('nope').

It sounds as though he doubted that you were a PhD. Truly strange.

CV is used almost everywhere else in the world except in the US where it is Resume. Sounds silly, but if he was doubtful about a claim in the documents then that must have been why he denied it. Maybe just your age and a bit of jealousy!

M.

Nice to know plenty of stupid retards are working in such positions. What a stupid doorknob.

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Indonesia

Marriage : 2007-08-10

I-130 Sent : 2007-08-21

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-01-18

I-130 Approved : 2008-09-15

NVC Received : 2008-09-24

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-09-27

Pay I-864 Bill 2008-09-28

Receive I-864 Package : 2008-09-28

Return Completed I-864 : 2008-10-02

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-10-17

Receive IV Bill : 2008-10-30

Pay IV Bill : 2008-10-31

Receive Instruction Package :

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-01-28

NVC Left : 2009-01-30

Consulate Received : 2009-02-20

Packet 3 Received : 2009-02-20

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-02-24

Packet 4 Received : 2009-02-26

Interview Date : 2010-03-18

Visa Received : 2009-03-23

US Entry :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 241 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 792 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Timeline

There's likely no ethnic caveat here: I'm about as pale as people come. I was born in Canada.

The weird part is that they had me take my passport and email the CV. They already have the Canada Post mailer.

frustrated1: What was your missing documentation? I had everything that had been specified in the preparation package.

this is the same form I got at the interview but the address was highlited instead and I was supposed to mail the passport along with the missing documentation along with a prepaid expresspost envelope. as the others suggest, they will probably dig further into your professional background, unless there is an ethnic caveat here as well.

Timeline

I thought so when you mentioned cegep. my RCMP report wasn't showing my maiden name on the first line (even though they used the name to run their search) so they wanted a new one. my profession isn't as exciting as yours :) so they didn't care about that.

Timeline

I'm especially confused because my CV/resume is pretty much the same things as a g325-a (biographical sketch) with added sections for honours, awards, conference presentations and publications.

After getting approved for everything else, considering the documentation that they already have about me, I'm very frustrated that there's a delay.

I thought so when you mentioned cegep. my RCMP report wasn't showing my maiden name on the first line (even though they used the name to run their search) so they wanted a new one. my profession isn't as exciting as yours :) so they didn't care about that.

Timeline

there is a customer service line for the mtl consulate 514.398.9695, they answer calls in the afternoon (maybe between 2-4). you'll have to try different options to actually get through. you could inquire about next steps or turnaround time etc. failing this, you could simply contact USCIS for info on your scenario.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.