FEW

Interview Problem. I'm so confused.

60 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have called the Montreal consulate in the past and been deflected and redirected by the voice answering menus.

I called again just now. According to the consulate automated answering system, they are open for immigrant visa services between 8 and 11 am. Unfortunately, due to staffing issues they no longer offer live operator assistance, and they refer questions to the montreal-iv-dv@state.gov email address. Their web site is amcits.com.

I'm going to send another email to the consulate... and I'll try calling the USCIS. All very good ideas, thanks! I've also sent a message to the (US) National Academy of Sciences, and my wife is starting to get in touch with her congressman.

Apparently if you want to listen to pre-recorded telephone messages about visa requirements, or to potentially speak to live operators, there are telephone numbers that charge 1.89$ per minute. They take both credit cards, and also have a 1-900 service that bills the phone line automatically. (http://amcits.com/phone.asp)

I called the NCV (603 334-0700). They referred me to the Washinton visa center (202 663-1225), which hangs up after the voice message system as 'all operators are busy'. The USCIS number can't be called from Canada (800 375-5283), and it gives a 'this number cannot be reach from your calling area'.

there is a customer service line for the mtl consulate 514.398.9695, they answer calls in the afternoon (maybe between 2-4). you'll have to try different options to actually get through. you could inquire about next steps or turnaround time etc. failing this, you could simply contact USCIS for info on your scenario.

The National Academy of Science sent me back an email that is not tremendously helpful.

Dear Mr. FEW,

Thank you for contacting this office about your visa case.

Unfortunately we do not deal with immigrant visa issues and do not have any expertise in that field. This is because we only deal with the State Department which deals only with non-immigrant visas. Immigrant visas are mostly processed by DHS.

But, then it seems to me that your case has not been delayed yet, considering that your interview was on Jan. 18, 2008 (5 days). I believe DHS is legally enjoined to complete the process within 120 days - I am not sure about the exact time limit but it is definitely more than 5 days. Alternatively, since Canadian citizens can stay in the U.S. for up to 90 days at a time, without a visa, it might be a good idea to come live here with your wife as you wait for the process to be completed. I am sure the process would be completed within 90 days. You could also contact an immigration attorney for expert advice.

Sincerely, ...

My reply:

Thank you for your timely reply.

For your information, I am not allowed to come and stay in the US while waiting for my visa to be accepted. See the paragraph attached below. Also, I'm currently in processing with the US consulate in Montreal. I'm pretty certain that the consulate is a branch of the state department, not the DHS (for example, their email address is montreal-iv-dv@state.gov). Furthermore, I have visited my wife several times for about 3 weeks each time, however Canadian citizens are not allowed to spend more than 6 months in the US without a visa. I am nearing the 6 month limit and do not want to risk exceeding the allowed time.

As far as I know, the only restriction on the time for completion of the processing is that if it hasn't concluded within one year, then the application as a whole is discarded, and must begin again from scratch.

By the way, while looking at the new Montreal consulate web page, I found a paragraph that explicitly describe their policy towards people who have immigrant visas pending and want to visit the US. See the last paragraph on this page:

http://www.amcits.com/immigration_usa_relative.asp

Entry to the U.S. while Petition is Pending

All persons traveling to the U.S. as visitors or students, Canadian or other nationality, under U.S. law are deemed to be intending immigrants and thus inadmissible for temporary purposes until they have an immigrant visa in hand. The burden of qualifying for any visa for entry to the U.S. rests solely with the applicant. Entry to the U.S. is solely up to a Department of Homeland Security/Customs and Border Protection (DHS/CBP) officer at the Port of Entry. While intending immigrants may have and lawfully seek to exercise a dual intent to be a visitor or student now and an immigrant later, it is against U.S. law to enter the U.S. as a visitor or student with the intent to wait for or seek immigrant status while in the U.S. Anyone who attempts to enter the U.S. by misrepresentation, or unlawfully, may face severe sanctions up to and including permanent ineligibility to enter the U.S.

If you need to contact NVC about immigrant visa processing please phone (603) 334-0700.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

has your wife gotten any response from her congressman? If you haven't heard back from that office within a week or so, I'd suggest moving on to one of her senators.

you should be able to visit as long as you show ties to Canada-but since you've turned in you diss and aren't really employed anymore, the border may not believe that you don't intend to stay. Why they decided that those of us that are actually going through the process are more likely to try to sneak into the country, I'll never understand. If we were going to just lie our way across the border, wouldn't we do that before paying all the fees, filling out all the forms, and waiting for months/years?

anyway, good luck

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

I am contacting our Congressman's office today. He and his office are generally very much "on the ball" with these matters and are very nice folks.

:)

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline

We've spoken to people in the congressman's office. We have been put in touch with the immigration and passport caseworker in the congressman's office, and now we're filling out some forms. Luckily, LadyJane is somewhat involved in local politics and so she knew who to speak with.

I completely agree with you about the 'intent' portion. While things are in process, what is the chance that anyone would intentionally screw it up? I guess their (well-founded) fear is that if they do reject anyone after they have gone to all that trouble for the application, how difficult it would be for them to deal with (ie. remove) the person afterwards. Also, how frustrated people would be if they were *allowed* to screw up their application by going across more than allowed while things were in process. Then again, they already give people false information to get them to leave and bar them from the US for the ever-feared decadic lockout.

This experience is changing how I do email. I now look at gmail about once an hour in a lottery-number-checking fervor. heh.

Thanks!

has your wife gotten any response from her congressman? If you haven't heard back from that office within a week or so, I'd suggest moving on to one of her senators.

you should be able to visit as long as you show ties to Canada-but since you've turned in you diss and aren't really employed anymore, the border may not believe that you don't intend to stay. Why they decided that those of us that are actually going through the process are more likely to try to sneak into the country, I'll never understand. If we were going to just lie our way across the border, wouldn't we do that before paying all the fees, filling out all the forms, and waiting for months/years?

Timeline

Yarg.

We heard back from LadyJane's congressional office today.

My case is now officially in Washington.

Estimated time: 2 Months.

From the email response:

His case has been sent to Washington, D.C., for additional review, and while this is not unusual, it obviously will cause a delay. The time line for completion could be as long as two months, they said, and that has been my time line experience.

I wonder if the consulate will email me at some point next week (7-10 business day delay), or if they'll just leave it at "we will complete our administrative work and advise you soonest" until the processing is done. (Sounds like a Mantis review.)

Edited by FEW

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

On "administrative processing" forum...

I posted a US State Department doc from 2006 which is a guideline for Consular Officers. Goes into detail about Visa Condor, Visa Mantis, Visa Eagle and all the other animals (code) for special checks.

Timeline

For what it's worth, here's a direct link to the administrative processing post with the PDF file link.

Thanks again Nutty.

On "administrative processing" forum...

I posted a US State Department doc from 2006 which is a guideline for Consular Officers. Goes into detail about Visa Condor, Visa Mantis, Visa Eagle and all the other animals (code) for special checks.

Timeline

sorry to hear that it's going to take 2 more months. hopefully your's will be quicker

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

Yeah, it really sucks.

Hopefully the university and congress people will be able to help in a few weeks. At the very least, the case might get some level of priority.

I hope you don't get AP'd in your interview! You must be getting excited. :)

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hooray!

Last week I was sent the following email...

Good afternoon,

Please be advised that we will be able to issue your visa. Unfortunately your Canadian police certificate will expire in less than two weeks

and you will require a new one. Once you have your new police certificate please send it to our office along with your passport so we may

complete your visa processing soonest. Please feel free to contact me if you require any assistance.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Operator 6

So ... soon ... now ...

For what it's worth, I looked around, and you *CAN* get police certificates directly from the RCMP for 25$ in one day, rather than the 50$ & 7-10 days that I had previously been told.

In Montreal the RCMP don't issue police certificates directly, but instead refer people to a company that charges 50$ to get the Charlottetown RCMP to mail certificates back to people.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/faq/faq_e.htm#certificat

However, if you go to other RCMP detachments in Quebec, they issue them on the spot for 25$. St-Jerome is the nearest. They only offer the service on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:30 -11:30 AM. Valleyfield is open Monday to Friday, from 8:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 16:00, but they're further away.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/detach/detac_e.htm

Hopefully I can save someone else from this "stupid tax".

Few

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
:dancing::thumbs::dancing: Congrats :dancing::thumbs::dancing:

USCIS

02/01/2008 : Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lock Box via Priority Mail

02/04/2008 : I-130 reached Chicago 2:18 AM

02/19/2008 : NOA1

02/20/2008 : $355 check cashed

02/25/2008 : Case available to view online

08/26/2008 : Email: Case will transfer to CSC

08/27/2008 : Notice Sent: Case will transfer to CSC

09/04/2008 : Email: Case arrived and pending at CSC

09/05/2008 : Touch

09/08/2008 : Touch

09/23/2008 : Approved !!! (217 days | 31 weeks) from NOA 1 (235 days | 33 weeks) from file

09/24/2008 : Touch

NVC

09/29/2008 : NVC received Case & Case # assigned

10/03/2008 : DS-3032 & I-864 Fee bill generated

10/04/2008 : E-mail for Choice of Agent sent

10/09/2008 : I-864 Fee bill instruction received in mail

10/09/2008 : I-864 Fee bill ($70) submitted online

10/10/2008 : I-864 Fee bill shows status "PAID"

10/14/2008 : I-864EZ Package sent via priority mail

10/16/2008 : I-864EZ Package reached NVC

10/16/2008 : E-mail for Choice of Agent accepted. (12 days)

10/16/2008 : IV Fee bill ($400) submitted online

10/17/2008 : IV Fee bill accepted

11/13/2008 : DS-230 Package mailed to NVC (Had to wait for PCC)

11/18/2008 : DS-230 Package reached NVC

11/21/2008 : Case Complete (53 days | 7 Weeks) at NVC

Consulate

01/06/2009 : Medical

01/27/2009 : Interview (361 days | 51 weeks) from file

02/09/2009 : POE (Newark)

02/21/2009 : SSN Received

02/25/2009 : Welcome Letter Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.