FEW

Interview Problem. I'm so confused.

60 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Which just reminded me of another interview review I read in the Canada forum once, I believe the beneficiary was a biologist and his wife did something similar.

They were both at the interview and I remember her commenting on how the CO quizzed them about their jobs and asked some strange questions (like who needs a (insert type of biologist here) biologist in Iowa - or wherever they were going to live in the U.S.).

It just seemed strange to me (and to them) because normally they just say something like - so what are you going to do for work? They actually had him explain in some detail what he does, which wouldn't be really meaningful to a person who isn't a biologist!

Anyway, they did get the visa that day - can't remember who the member was though.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Maybe a part of the problem was not having LadyJane with me at the interview (since she's flying out to a conference today), they didn't ask about that, but it might have helped had we been together.

It sounds like the same thing you've described. Although it wasn't a problem in terms of where will you work... since I'd already offered to show him my 'offer of employment' for working at the University once I move.

Which just reminded me of another interview review I read in the Canada forum once, I believe the beneficiary was a biologist and his wife did something similar.

They were both at the interview and I remember her commenting on how the CO quizzed them about their jobs and asked some strange questions (like who needs a (insert type of biologist here) biologist in Iowa - or wherever they were going to live in the U.S.).

It just seemed strange to me (and to them) because normally they just say something like - so what are you going to do for work? They actually had him explain in some detail what he does, which wouldn't be really meaningful to a person who isn't a biologist!

Anyway, they did get the visa that day - can't remember who the member was though.

Timeline

Another interesting point I just remembered.

I was surprised that my interview pre-screener (she was really nice) had a card with the phone numbers for things like the secret service in Montreal (it was a local number) hanging around her neck, along with the other ID stuff.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Another interesting point I just remembered.

I was surprised that my interview pre-screener (she was really nice) had a card with the phone numbers for things like the secret service in Montreal (it was a local number) hanging around her neck, along with the other ID stuff.

I'd be prepared for a period of administrative processing after your submit the CV. Hope it's a short one but from your description it sounds like you may have the knowledge to weaponize biological agents. If so, they'll want to check you out more thoroughly.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I don't have much experience with biological stuff. Most of my experience is developing new optical methods, and for the most part that involves using intralipid (it's kind of like creamer) to 'simulate' the light scattering properties of biological tissues. There's not much danger related to my projects (I can use laser pointers to measure stuff).

I think that an undergrad in biology would know how to weaponize biologicals better than me. It doesn't take high tech to repeat bad things that have been done in the past. I hope the consulate people know that. :(

Do you have any idea of how long 'administrative processing' lasts?

I'd be prepared for a period of administrative processing after your submit the CV. Hope it's a short one but from your description it sounds like you may have the knowledge to weaponize biological agents. If so, they'll want to check you out more thoroughly.

Timeline

I don't know much about AP except what I have read here, (which is that every case is different) I'm sure someone might have info on that for you.

I found the other review, the member's name is thermophile.

He is actually an archaeologist, his wife is the microbiologist - just that the interview seemed a bit strange:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83324

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
I don't have much experience with biological stuff. Most of my experience is developing new optical methods, and for the most part that involves using intralipid (it's kind of like creamer) to 'simulate' the light scattering properties of biological tissues. There's not much danger related to my projects (I can use laser pointers to measure stuff).

I think that an undergrad in biology would know how to weaponize biologicals better than me. It doesn't take high tech to repeat bad things that have been done in the past. I hope the consulate people know that. :(

Do you have any idea of how long 'administrative processing' lasts?

Like the CO, I'm a layman looking at limited information. From what you say, you should come through the AP with a positive result but it is unfortunately a black hole with no way to predict a timeline. A short one would be two or three weeks.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I've been chatting with Thermophile a bit, and it seems we did get the same consular officer. Hopefully I get the same outcome (she was approved at the interview, maybe it won't take too long).

It was kind of nice that they 'cared' about my work, it's rare to have anyone except other scientists ask for details. I hope they enjoyed the description. :)

LadyJane is confused partly because I have already been security screened by the FBI or whatever, no?

Do you think they will come back and ask for my transcripts so that they can know what classes I studied in university/CEGEP (CEGEP is pre-university in Quebec)?

Timeline

I have considered asking my wife and also my future supervisor to ask their congressman and other public officials (perhaps the governor) to get involved.

Do you think that might help accelerate the process, or do you think it would simply be a nuisance for the consulate personnel?

Like the CO, I'm a layman looking at limited information. From what you say, you should come through the AP with a positive result but it is unfortunately a black hole with no way to predict a timeline. A short one would be two or three weeks.

Timeline
I have considered asking my wife and also my future supervisor to ask their congressman and other public officials (perhaps the governor) to get involved.

Do you think that might help accelerate the process, or do you think it would simply be a nuisance for the consulate personnel?

Involved in doing what?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
Involved in doing what?

In asking why there's a delay, as we've satisfied all the fundamental criteria already. And/or asking that the delay be as short as possible because I'm needed in MI for a company that's just starting up.

Edited by FEW

Timeline
Involved in doing what?

In asking why there's a delay, as we've satisfied all the fundamental criteria already. And/or asking that the delay be as short as possible because I'm needed in MI for a company that's just starting up.

Then yes, I think it would be more of a nuisance. An answer to why will not speed the process. A security assessment or other administrative process tends to run its course without outside interference. Your delay has been quite short so far, so there's no reason to assume it will go on for an unreasonable time until or unless it has.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
Then yes, I think it would be more of a nuisance. An answer to why will not speed the process. A security assessment or other administrative process tends to run its course without outside interference. Your delay has been quite short so far, so there's no reason to assume it will go on for an unreasonable time until or unless it has.

Wouldn't I have already undergone a security assessment during the previous stages of the permanent residency application process? I thought that the security check was completed prior to the interview being scheduled. (The idea behind getting officials involved isn't to try to inconvenience the consulate personnel by having outside people interfere, but rather give them firm evidence that I am already known in the US to be a law-abiding person, and of positive societal value.)

Timeline

Wouldn't I have already undergone a security assessment during the previous stages of the permanent residency application process? I thought that the security check was completed prior to the interview being scheduled. (The idea behind getting officials involved isn't to try to inconvenience the consulate personnel by having outside people interfere, but rather give them firm evidence that I am already known in the US to be a law-abiding person, and of positive societal value.)

One would think that all the background checks, security checks etc would be done prior to you appearing at the consulate, that would make sense, however experience seems to show this isn't the case.

Nuisance or not...hmm. What I have seen a lot of is people getting letters back from their Senators etc - saying something along the lines of - they are doing what they have to do (ie: USCIS or DOS) and in due course this processing will be completed. So basically they too receive a non-answer from the consulate or whomever.

It's a tough call, I can see your reasoning, not sure there is a tried and true answer to this one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.