TonyS

Need inofrmation about Phoenix, AZ

18 posts in this topic

Hey all. I'm considering moving to Phoenix and I would love to hear from members who currently live there of have lived there in the past. Yes I know it is hot as hell ( especially 3 months in the summer ) but I love the heat and hate winter. I hoping for other insights about life in the desert. Thanks!

11/28/06 Received NOA1 from VSC by snail mail

12/05/06 Touched

12/21/06 Received email notification of approval! NOA2

12/28/06 Received NOA2 from VSC by snail mail

12/27/06 NVC received I-129F

12/28/06 NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

01/02/07 Package arrive in Bogota

01/09/07 Faxed/mailed "shortcut"

01/11/07 Fiancee received Package 3 by mail

01/26/07 Interview date set for 2/26/07

01/30/07 Fiancee received Package 4

02/26/07 Interview is successful

02/27/07 Fiancee received Visa

03/15/07 Arrived in New York!

05/26/07 Married in Orlando!

AOS

06/28/07 Mailed AOS package

06/30/07 Received in Chicago

07/12/07 AOS application check cashed

07/14/07 Received NOA for AOS

07/16/07 Received snail mail notice of Biometric date of 08/02/07

08/02/07 Biometrics

09/07/07 Online notice that EAD card ordered

09/18/07 Received EAD card in the mail

08/03/08 Finally able to view case online

08/16/08 Received notice for second biometrics

09/10/08 Received notice for AOS interview on 09/16/08

09/16/08 AOS APROVED!!!!!

09/29/08 CG arrived in the mail.

07/15/10 Mailed package for lifting conditions.

07/23/10 Received NOA for lifting conditions

07/28/10 Received notice of biometric appointment for

August 11,2010.

i was there briefly..it was hot as hell in the summer..and got stuck in traffic./.due to a dust storm???

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey Tony,

I was born and raised in the Phoenix area and only moved out because of school and then career. I still have all my family back there. Arizona is a beautiful and ecological diverse state (Phx is only about 2 hours away from snow). The desert sunsets are amazing, and the heat is only unbearable in July and August. The biggest change I've noticed since leaving back in 1996 is the urban sprawl ...there seems to be strip mall with an Outback Steakhouse at every corner. I've lived in Tempe, Gilbert, Mesa and Chandler. I would definitely consider going back there to live if I could find a job in my field.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have never lived in Phoenix, but I was seriously considering a move there after graduation. Seriously, it's not that terribly hot. At least you can get relief from shade. That should be taken with a grain of salt, because I'm from Louisiana and we also have notorious heat.

The deserts around Phoenix are beautiful and tubing down the Salt River is wonderful. That said, don't expect much grass unless you're ready to foot the bill. Your skin will also take a while to adjust to the dry air.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm originally from South Carolina so I know about hot summers! My wife is from the coastal city of Barranquilla, Colombia. She doesn't care too much for the heat since she has lived in it most of her life, but she said she would ok as long as we had air conditioning. I would be working at the Palo Verde Nuclear station. Personally I like cities as long as there is plenty to do.

12/05/06 Touched

AOS

08/02/07 Biometrics

August 11,2010.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm originally from South Carolina so I know about hot summers! My wife is from the coastal city of Barranquilla, Colombia. She doesn't care too much for the heat since she has lived in it most of her life, but she said she would ok as long as we had air conditioning. I would be working at the Palo Verde Nuclear station. Personally I like cities as long as there is plenty to do.

There's definitely plenty to see and do...places like Sedona, Payson, Flagstaff, even Tucson. There's a few likes like Roosevelt and Saguaro that you can take a boat out on the water. Tempe is a really happening town because it's home of Arizona State University. Scottsdale is the ritzy area. I'm thinking that if you'd be working at Palo Verde, you'd probably live nearby in Buckeye or Avondale, which are west of Phoenix. Just PM if you need any help with finding out information...I have 2 brothers living in Chandler, East Mesa area.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I am new to Phoenix. Grew up in Minneapolis, moved to Toronto for a bit, and am now here. Phoenix is easy to navigate and if you stay off the Loop during rush hour, its pretty easy to get around. There is a mall on every corner and they love their speed bumps in the parking lots. July and August are a bit warm and you just learn to stay inside until the sun goes down. Phoenix generally lacks in the arts it seems. Not much in the form of plays, operas, museums, etc. but coming from Toronto which is full of that stuff, its not a fair comparison. And as an added bonus, if you can speak Spanish, you can do anything. Housing is cheap (compared to where I come from and to California) and you can get a nice house for a modest price. It seems to be lacking in high skilled labor around here, so if you have an advanced degree or skills, you will have no problem finding a job. If you miss the snow and cold, its only about 1.5 hour drive north to the mountains. You are also a day trip away from Las Vegas and San Diego and Mexico. I like it here quite a bit so far.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Not living in Phoenix, but moved to Tucson instead. I came during what everyone said was the worst time...July. Hottest day my car temp said was 112F. It really isn't as bad without the humidity but you have to make sure to drink a lot of water.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Howdy!

I've lived in Arizona for most of the last 15 years, 6 1/2 years in Tucson and the rest in the Phoenix area. There are too many pros and cons to list easily, but I feel I should mention that the summer is not three months, it's more like five, and it's brutal. The first 100-degree day is typically in May, the last in October, and the heat is absolutely relentless and maddening. Especially when it's fall and it feels like the weather should be changing. I know that people have varying tolerances for extreme temperatures, and just about everyone can handle 110 degree temps for a time, but 105 (plus) day in and day out for months on end is a trial. I grew up in Massachusetts, I feel I should add, but I'm not a Masshole. :-) Well, not 100%, anyway. But people do go on about how it's a dry heat, which is nonsense. 110 degrees is 110 degrees. Also, you sometimes hear people say that once it gets hotter than 105, you don't really notice. That too is nonsense. 105 is hot. 115 feels like your skin is frying.

That said, there is a lot to like about Phoenix, and Arizona. Phoenix isn't a particularly pretty city, and it's wasteful car-based polluted urban sprawl exemplified. But there are also nice features (mountain preserves and hiking trails in the middle of the city, for example), a decent job market, four major sports teams, and lots of optimism. The public transportation infrastructure is a joke, and there is not a lot of progressive thinking here. We're also on the front lines of the immigration debate, which is both interesting and weird. Knowing some Spanish is handy but certainly not necessary. Food City has cheap Tecate, lots of different types of peppers, and nice people to practice your Spanish with (I mean that seriously, not sarcastically).

Ramble, ramble. Coincidentally, I'm drinking Tecate as I write this!

The real estate market is in great flux. This is one of the places that went crazy with condo conversions and speculation investing that sent prices through the roof between about 2003 and 2006. Things are settling down now, with many foreclosures and such, but it's good to be wary of what seem like great deals. There is a lot of "appraised at $(fill in ridiculous price), but we'll sell for $(fill in slightly lower ridiculous price)" type stuff. But then again, it may seem cheap if you're used to housing prices in a more expensive market.

Anyhoo, if you have specific questions, please send me a PM! I'm glad to be of help! And I have a somewhat broad view of Phoenix because I'm on the fence about it, but my English husband doesn't like it at all. Truth be told, we'll probably move to Oregon next year because we both miss vegetation and seasons.

I admit a weakness for this dusty place for some reason. I guess I just like to kvetch.

~Julie

Edited by AOS despair

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Howdy!

I've lived in Arizona for most of the last 15 years, 6 1/2 years in Tucson and the rest in the Phoenix area. There are too many pros and cons to list easily, but I feel I should mention that the summer is not three months, it's more like five, and it's brutal.

Seriously, Arizona summers are not very brutal. I would take 115 in Phoenix over 90 with humidity. It's really not that hot. Also, it cools off at night and becomes rather pleasant.

As far as the humidity not making it actually hotter, there's a thing called latent heat, which is the heat contained within water vapor. Water vapor carries heat much more readily than dry air.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

Howdy!

I've lived in Arizona for most of the last 15 years, 6 1/2 years in Tucson and the rest in the Phoenix area. There are too many pros and cons to list easily, but I feel I should mention that the summer is not three months, it's more like five, and it's brutal.

Seriously, Arizona summers are not very brutal. I would take 115 in Phoenix over 90 with humidity. It's really not that hot. Also, it cools off at night and becomes rather pleasant.

As far as the humidity not making it actually hotter, there's a thing called latent heat, which is the heat contained within water vapor. Water vapor carries heat much more readily than dry air.

Yeah, we have those arguments a lot too (what constitutes a dry heat). I wasn't saying that the level of humidity doesn't affect how it feels. Yes, 105 with 90% humidity is more uncomfortable that 105 with 10% humidity, but 105 is still damn hot. Some people like to say that 110 and 5% humidity is comfortable, and it ain't. But it depends on what you can stand. I spent two summers in Austin, Texas, and that was pretty hot and sticky (upper 90s to low 100s and humid). I remember visiting Phoenix from Austin in about July and thinking, "Well, Phoenix is definitely more uncomfortable, I don't care what anyone says!" That was when I got into the car and had to drive with two fingers until the a/c kicked in. But humidity doesn't bother me like it does some people.

Also, nighttime in Phoenix in midsummer is not rather pleasant. Very often, it's still in the mid-90s at 9 or 10 at night. The nicest temperature is at about 4 or 5 in the morning. If you're into outdoor activities like biking and running, it helps if you're a real early morning person. Tucson is more pleasant at night.

I don't mean to be discouraging. Of course, a lot of people live here who wouldn't consider living anywhere else. I just want to give a realistic picture of the weather. It is brutal, no matter what anyone says. :)

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

I am new to Phoenix. Grew up in Minneapolis, moved to Toronto for a bit, and am now here. Phoenix is easy to navigate and if you stay off the Loop during rush hour, its pretty easy to get around. There is a mall on every corner and they love their speed bumps in the parking lots. July and August are a bit warm and you just learn to stay inside until the sun goes down. Phoenix generally lacks in the arts it seems. Not much in the form of plays, operas, museums, etc. but coming from Toronto which is full of that stuff, its not a fair comparison. And as an added bonus, if you can speak Spanish, you can do anything. Housing is cheap (compared to where I come from and to California) and you can get a nice house for a modest price. It seems to be lacking in high skilled labor around here, so if you have an advanced degree or skills, you will have no problem finding a job. If you miss the snow and cold, its only about 1.5 hour drive north to the mountains. You are also a day trip away from Las Vegas and San Diego and Mexico. I like it here quite a bit so far.

Thank you very much. I travel to Canada frequently. Love Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary and Toronto in that order :yes:. My spanish is coming along and of course it is the native language of my wife. Nice to hear about housing as here in Connecticut, housing as always been expensive. As a matter of fact just about everything is expensive here, pretty much in line with the cost of major metro areas. People here are friendly once you get to know them, but coming from the south, they seem cold,rude and standoffish. New York, Boston, Philadelphia and Montreal are within 5 hours drive but I feel it is very boring here.

12/05/06 Touched

AOS

08/02/07 Biometrics

August 11,2010.

Well AOS despair I love the heat, but I do understand that 100 degrees is just plain hot!!! I will to deal with it and get away from snow, ice and subzero weather. High humidity just sucks! The sweat will not evaporate to cool the body and you always feel "sticky". Everyone loves spring and fall here. I agree I just have to go and check it out.

12/05/06 Touched

AOS

08/02/07 Biometrics

August 11,2010.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Yeah, we have those arguments a lot too (what constitutes a dry heat).

it's all great until you have to exercise in it - in ft huachuca we'd call it a "dry heave" :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Yeah, we have those arguments a lot too (what constitutes a dry heat).

it's all great until you have to exercise in it - in ft huachuca we'd call it a "dry heave" :P

Indeed! And Sierra Vista's a lot cooler than Phoenix.

K-1

AOS