14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

There seems to controversy over whether or not the AOS has to be done in 90 days. I know on the K1 Visa you must marry in 90 days and you would not necessarily be able to work until you file AOS. I think if you file EAD without AOS it costs extra? Either way... Does AOS have to be filed in 90 days?

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There seems to controversy over whether or not the AOS has to be done in 90 days. I know on the K1 Visa you must marry in 90 days and you would not necessarily be able to work until you file AOS. I think if you file EAD without AOS it costs extra? Either way... Does AOS have to be filed in 90 days?

no controversy,

Example, if you are a K-1 entrant and you marry on day 90 (within the guidelines for the visa entry for AOS), how would you ever file the I-485 within 90 days? You can't.

EAD (I-765) without the the I-485 first, does has a fee requirement.

Recently, some people who married on VWP and did not file before the I-94 expired have had issues with AOS.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

wat is I-94?

Filed I129F: 03/4/2011

Received by USCIS: 3/8/2011

NOA:3/10/2011

NOA2:06/21/2011

Case# received from NVC: 07/1/2011.

got packet 3/4: Aug/4/2011

Interview: Sept 21st 2011

Timeline

wat is I-94?

the white entry document that is placed in your passport that you receive when you arrive in the usa at passport control

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

We didn't have the money to file right away, and waited almost a year to file. We had no problems but my husband couldn't work, or leave the country and also the K-1 medical is only good for 1 year so if that expires you have to get a whole new medical, and since the time we filed, they seem to have gotten more picky about the medicals as we filed March 09 and his medical expired April 09 but he was approved with no RFE or interview so he never needed a new medical, I don't see this happen any more, more and more are needing new medicals. Also if you wait for over 180 days after the I-94 expires, then there's no point in filing AP, because there's chance of getting an overstay if you try to use the AP. I'm not sure the rules exactly.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There is no controversy......it's very clear. You must marry within 90 days and you can file for AOS whenever you can.

There are certain issues that present themselves the longer you delay, but one could technically never file for AOS but the longer you wait, the more opportunities for denial may present themselves.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The 90 day rule is to avoid illegal entry. Better to follow the rules, this process is slow enough without creating problems.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline
Does AOS have to be filed in 90 days?

A thread with this question should be a sticky topic or something. It gets asked at least 3 times every week. :whistle:

I think if you file EAD without AOS it costs extra?

Yes, it costs $380 and expires when I-94 expires so you can't legally work past 90 days anyway until you file AOS and get EAD approved on AOS basis.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Timeline

We didn't have the money to file right away, and waited almost a year to file. We had no problems but my husband couldn't work, or leave the country and also the K-1 medical is only good for 1 year so if that expires you have to get a whole new medical, and since the time we filed, they seem to have gotten more picky about the medicals as we filed March 09 and his medical expired April 09 but he was approved with no RFE or interview so he never needed a new medical, I don't see this happen any more, more and more are needing new medicals. Also if you wait for over 180 days after the I-94 expires, then there's no point in filing AP, because there's chance of getting an overstay if you try to use the AP. I'm not sure the rules exactly.

Thank you for a helpful response!

The 90 day rule is to avoid illegal entry. Better to follow the rules, this process is slow enough without creating problems.

Thanks for a helpful response!

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

Timeline

no controversy,

Example, if you are a K-1 entrant and you marry on day 90 (within the guidelines for the visa entry for AOS), how would you ever file the I-485 within 90 days? You can't.

EAD (I-765) without the the I-485 first, does has a fee requirement.

Recently, some people who married on VWP and did not file before the I-94 expired have had issues with AOS.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Here is an example of something saying you must file within 90 days.

There is no controversy......it's very clear. You must marry within 90 days and you can file for AOS whenever you can.

There are certain issues that present themselves the longer you delay, but one could technically never file for AOS but the longer you wait, the more opportunities for denial may present themselves.

A thread with this question should be a sticky topic or something. It gets asked at least 3 times every week. :whistle:

Yes, it costs $380 and expires when I-94 expires so you can't legally work past 90 days anyway until you file AOS and get EAD approved on AOS basis.

Here is an example of why:

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, that is worded badly and is in need of an update. You are not required to file for AOS within the 90 days. You just need to get married within the 90 day time frame before your I-94 expires. You should file AOS as promptly as you can, but no worries if you go a couple weeks or months past your I-94 expiring.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

actually you need to read it again... it does not say MUST... it says to avoid accruing unlawful status

YMMV

Timeline

Thanks. I think it's worded badly as well. I find other things here and there that similarly confuse me. I just dont want to risk him getting denied when he gets here.

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.