danimarie

HUH? NVC requested more info, but are still proceeding??? What do I do?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

We sent in our Affidavit of Support and all the documents that go along on the 28th of March.  To my horror, on Friday the 13th of April I received an email from NVC requesting more documents.  Specifically an additional police certificate from my husbands 2 year stay in Greece.  We currently reside in France.  NVC stated that they cannot continue the process until the document is sent to them with a translation.  So I have been stressed out for a week trying to figure out how to get the police record.  We have sent tons of emails trying to find someone in Greece to get the doc for us.  Six days later I received another email from NVC stating that they have received all the requested documents and we are now in the queue awaiting an interview appointment.  Just to be completely clear, we didn't send in anything to NVC between those 2 emails.  Now what do we do?  Do we forget about the Greek police record now that we are awaiting an interview appt?  Or... do I spend thousands of dollars flying to Greece to get the police record?  I'm in limbo.  Please help!  

3 hours ago, danimarie said:

We sent in our Affidavit of Support and all the documents that go along on the 28th of March.  To my horror, on Friday the 13th of April I received an email from NVC requesting more documents.  Specifically an additional police certificate from my husbands 2 year stay in Greece.  We currently reside in France.  NVC stated that they cannot continue the process until the document is sent to them with a translation.  So I have been stressed out for a week trying to figure out how to get the police record.  We have sent tons of emails trying to find someone in Greece to get the doc for us.  Six days later I received another email from NVC stating that they have received all the requested documents and we are now in the queue awaiting an interview appointment.  Just to be completely clear, we didn't send in anything to NVC between those 2 emails.  Now what do we do?  Do we forget about the Greek police record now that we are awaiting an interview appt?  Or... do I spend thousands of dollars flying to Greece to get the police record?  I'm in limbo.  Please help!  

I think it's best to proceed with a Police report for Greece, if you don't have it ready for the interview you will have to wait possibly months extra.

Best just to get it ASAP, to be on the safe side. 

Filed: Timeline

Greece will not provide a police certificate to an individual -- they will only send it directly to the Embassy in Athens.  That's why NVC could move forward with your case, since you won't be able to provide the document to them.  You will have to have one, though, for the visa to be approved and issued.  Have you reviewed how to obtain one and get it sent to the Embassy on the State Department website (travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Greece.html)?  

Edited by jan22

Timeline
12 hours ago, jan22 said:

Greece will not provide a police certificate to an individual -- they will only send it directly to the Embassy in Athens.  That's why NVC could move forward with your case, since you won't be able to provide the document to them.  You will have to have one, though, for the visa to be approved and issued.  Have you reviewed how to obtain one and get it sent to the Embassy on the State Department website

Yes, I have reviewed the State Department website several times.  I've talked to the Greek embassy in Paris.  They will not do it for us.  I have contacted people in Greece, and even they say the best bet is to come out for a week and a half and get it ourselves.  I have also been in contact with an assistant to a Congressman that said she may be able to help with the Greek embassy in D.C.  My confusion lies in the fact that I need this police record and they only pass it on to the American embassy in Greece.  How do I get it from them?  I was sent a cover page that needs to be sent with the translated police record to NVC.  Does the American embassy forward it onto us?  Or do they forward it at all?  I can't find any information.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
44 minutes ago, danimarie said:

Yes, I have reviewed the State Department website several times.  I've talked to the Greek embassy in Paris.  They will not do it for us.  I have contacted people in Greece, and even they say the best bet is to come out for a week and a half and get it ourselves.  I have also been in contact with an assistant to a Congressman that said she may be able to help with the Greek embassy in D.C.  My confusion lies in the fact that I need this police record and they only pass it on to the American embassy in Greece.  How do I get it from them?  I was sent a cover page that needs to be sent with the translated police record to NVC.  Does the American embassy forward it onto us?  Or do they forward it at all?  I can't find any information.

If the Consular Immigrant Visa Unit in Athens gets the police report directly, then that's where it will stay.  As you said, NVC is proceeding without it because it will go directly to the Consulate.  The proper procedure is spelled out clearly here. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Greece.html

If you cannot find a representative to apply for it for you, then you go do it yourself.  If Athens is not where your interview will be, then the Athen IV unit will forward the report to the appropriate US Consulate.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
On 4/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, pushbrk said:

If you cannot find a representative to apply for it for you, then you go do it yourself.  If Athens is not where your interview will be, then the Athen IV unit will forward the report to the appropriate US Consulate.

If the Greek police record is going to be forwarded to the appropriate US Consulate, how do I then go about getting it translated and adjoin the mandatory cover letter.  The following is an excerpt from the email....

If your documents are not in English or the language of the country where you will have your interview,
you must include a certified translation. The translation must include a statement that says:
* the translation is accurate
* the translator is competent to translate.

At what point can I have copy of the record in my hands?  Is it even possible?  How to I get a translation for something I don't get to see or touch?

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Did you end up resolving this at all? I'm currently freaking out about submitting my husbands docs to NVC knowing that we don't have a police certificate from Greece. Also he was only there for 7 months. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 6/25/2018 at 3:37 AM, girlonfire said:

Did you end up resolving this at all? I'm currently freaking out about submitting my husbands docs to NVC knowing that we don't have a police certificate from Greece. Also he was only there for 7 months. 

My fiance is also in the same issue. We tried emailing the Greek embassy in Islamabad and they haven't emailed back. We have no idea what to do. My fiance can't go there because he needs a visa, and I don't speak Greek to go there. It's a mess 

Timeline
On 4/20/2018 at 5:29 AM, danimarie said:

Were you able to get the police report? My fiance has tried contacting the embassy near him, but no one is responding to calls or emails. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, mich923 said:

My fiance is also in the same issue. We tried emailing the Greek embassy in Islamabad and they haven't emailed back. We have no idea what to do. My fiance can't go there because he needs a visa, and I don't speak Greek to go there. It's a mess 

How long did your fiance live in Greece? Since my husband lived there less than 12 months I just submitted a letter stating why it was not necessary for us to submit and it was accepted. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, girlonfire said:

How long did your fiance live in Greece? Since my husband lived there less than 12 months I just submitted a letter stating why it was not necessary for us to submit and it was accepted. 

He lived there for 6 years. He's currently in Pakistan.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, mich923 said:

He lived there for 6 years. He's currently in Pakistan.

Oh. Yeah that's a different situation. He may need to get someone to get it for him. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, mich923 said:

Were you able to get the police report? My fiance has tried contacting the embassy near him, but no one is responding to calls or emails. 

So... we did end up taking care of the problem.  We went through every situation and finally made a call out to my extended family.  There are a few lawyers in there that know someone who knows someone.  I was referred to a Greek lawyer by a German lawyer by my Uncle an American lawyer bla bla bla bla bla....  Anyway, you get the point.  This lawyer was able to get the police record and make an official translation and send it directly to us in under 2 weeks.  The final price of said lawyer?  So so so much cheaper than any American lawyer.  Quite affordable.  Much cheaper than a plane ticket.  That being said, after everything was taken care of, the embassy workers never even asked for the police report.  Typical!!  I'm sure I could get you in touch with the Greek lawyer.  Let me know if you are interested.  My husband would probably need to ask her permission first.       

Timeline
On 6/25/2018 at 9:37 AM, girlonfire said:

I don't know why I didn't get your msg a month ago.  Sorry for not responding.  My husband was denied a visa at his interview, and I have been quite pissed off since.  I'm just now pulling the paperwork out again.

Anyway... I answered your question in a response to mich923

Timeline
1 hour ago, danimarie said:

So... we did end up taking care of the problem.  We went through every situation and finally made a call out to my extended family.  There are a few lawyers in there that know someone who knows someone.  I was referred to a Greek lawyer by a German lawyer by my Uncle an American lawyer bla bla bla bla bla....  Anyway, you get the point.  This lawyer was able to get the police record and make an official translation and send it directly to us in under 2 weeks.  The final price of said lawyer?  So so so much cheaper than any American lawyer.  Quite affordable.  Much cheaper than a plane ticket.  That being said, after everything was taken care of, the embassy workers never even asked for the police report.  Typical!!  I'm sure I could get you in touch with the Greek lawyer.  Let me know if you are interested.  My husband would probably need to ask her permission first.       

Yes, my fiance and I would be interested in talking to that lawyer. Hopefully it will help. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.